Author Topic: What the ?? Commercials  (Read 10088 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
What the ?? Commercials
« on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »
A new commercial came across Youtube today.  I could only find the Bulgarian link, but you will get it.

Nestea Fall in love with Winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qmPGSK5dM

Here is the problem -- Nestea in the bottle is sold to be a CONVENIENCE cold beverage.  Grab and go.   So why would you buy the bottle, then pour it into a mug and heat it up?

Why not just buy the powder (like we all used to before they made the ready to drink bottles) put it into a mug, and add hot water?   This is the main way I have drunk Nestea in my life, which is why it is so weird to heat a bottle of iced tea.

$9.99 of the NESTEA name brand powder will make   85 - 365ml glasses of  iced tea.   Or about $0.12 per 365ml bottle worth.   Buying the bottle?  50 cents to $1.29..   That is up to 10x more cost.   

What other commercials have you seen that make ZERO sense?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: What the ?? Commercials
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »

What other commercials have you seen that make ZERO sense?

ALL OF THE COMMERCIALS!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
Run, don't walk, from all commercials!  We are not in the "kill your TV" camp, but do absolutely hate commercials.  Use an ad-blocker on your browser too!

We cut the cord, and pay the extra $4 for ad-free Hulu.  Our kiddo has seen vanishingly few commercials in his 4 years.  I think back to how much I was influenced by ads in my youth and shudder.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
I was at my parents last week and they had the tv on and I saw some political ad commercials.  It was an ad of trump dropping some bleeped out f-bombs, and then was something along the lines of "please think of the children".  It was ludicrous.  Makes me glad I don't watch commercials at all.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
I was at my parents last week and they had the tv on and I saw some political ad commercials.  It was an ad of trump dropping some bleeped out f-bombs, and then was something along the lines of "please think of the children".  It was ludicrous.  Makes me glad I don't watch commercials at all.

I only watch commercials at work, and this ad went nonstop the last couple weeks. Children are staying up late alone to watch Trump speeches?

The main channel on at work tends to be Foxnews and they run the same couple retirement/investing commercials every single hour and they're all fear-mongering nonsense.  Even though I see the commercial ten times a day I still find myself peering around the corner to yell at them.

I know this has gone through some changes over the years, but it still amazes me how if the cartoon isn't trying to sell a toy, the commercials in between are shoving it down your throat.  After we cut the cord I was amazed at how quickly my son's materialism plummeted. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
After we cut the cord I was amazed at how quickly my son's materialism plummeted.

THAT was a major motivator for us. We went through a period where commercials were doing their job - he wanted the toy or the food just about every time.

I don't miss commercials.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
After we cut the cord I was amazed at how quickly my son's materialism plummeted.

THAT was a major motivator for us. We went through a period where commercials were doing their job - he wanted the toy or the food just about every time.

I don't miss commercials.

My daughter gets commercial-type advertisement feeds on her phone somehow. Every few days she's showing me a new hoodie or some such nonsense from Pink or Victoria's Secret that she "neeeeeeds". I always tell her that it's definitely a pretty item and that if she wants it she should save up for it. So far, she hasn't.

It seems to me that the things my teenager "falls in love with" after seeing an ad, doesn't get, and loses interest in about an hour later are the same things she'd lose interest in an hour after getting them. So instead of doing the expensive buying part, I've noticed that we can cut directly to the part where she loses interest, simply not by making the purchase.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »
Yep. This weekend at our house the crisis was a $70 video camera purchase and nothing else could come close to its features - in the mind our youngest.

Then we pointed out that our older family point and shoot camera does the same things. Nope - still not convinced.

Our teenager remembered that a YouTube favorite blogger had bragged on a camera similar to our camera. It was an older video but helped our case.

Well the YT blogger made the correct impression and the cheap video camera was no longer the big deal.

Crisis averted. Not like the youngest child is making broadcast videos anyhow - just filming trampoline flips and pullups in the backyard.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »

I only watch commercials at work, and this ad went nonstop the last couple weeks. Children are staying up late alone to watch Trump speeches?

I think the point of that is "this is who you want to lead our country?"

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

I got the message they were attempting to convey.  The manner in which commercials and advertisements are written and directed make me scratch my head most of the time though.  It's part nitpicking, part I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over.  Most political theater makes my head hurt and I'm glad we're done with that for a while.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 07:29:25 AM »
Has anyone seen the V.I. Poo ads yet?  Those gross me out whenever I see them.   I don't need to know anyone bathroom business period buy it if you want it but I don't need to know you're using it.  No other ad for feminine products, incontinence, etc has disgusted me but that one.
Plus the ones for J.G. Wentworth...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »

I got the message they were attempting to convey.  The manner in which commercials and advertisements are written and directed make me scratch my head most of the time though.  It's part nitpicking, part I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over.  Most political theater makes my head hurt and I'm glad we're done with that for a while.

Election Campaign 2020 starts next month - just so you know... ;)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
Has anyone seen the V.I. Poo ads yet?  Those gross me out whenever I see them.   I don't need to know anyone bathroom business period buy it if you want it but I don't need to know you're using it.  No other ad for feminine products, incontinence, etc has disgusted me but that one.
Plus the ones for J.G. Wentworth...

It's MY MONEY and I need it NOW!

If you want some catchy ads, listen to Bill Burr's podcast. It's the only time I look forward to hearing ad copies.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
Old time Radio with the original commercials is fun.  "8 out of 10 doctors agree:  smoke Camels!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
Old time Radio with the original commercials is fun.  "8 out of 10 doctors agree:  smoke Camels!"

It's crazy to think of this now, but at one point there were medical professionals that thought smoking would be good for you because it "opened the lungs." Athletes used to smoke before their events or during breaks with this belief.

I remember listening to a clip that explained how the fad Hollywood diet to get in shape for their movie roles in the 80s was to eat a lot of pasta. Heck, when germ theory was announced about 150 years ago, many of the leading doctors refused to believe in it. Had President Garfield's doctor listened to it, there was a chance his life would have been saved.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
Great thread!

I remember ranting to marty998 earlier in the year about an ad for kit homes that included air-conditioners.

It showed a girl getting up in the morning, turning on the radio to hear a forecast temp of 29 degrees, and putting on ugg boots.

>.<  >.<  >.<

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Have seen a small car in traffic for many mornings over the past couple of weeks. Driver clearly new to driving stick. All sorts of stalling and hopping and chirping tires. Getting better though. Fun to see someone going the path less taken.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 02:29:44 AM »
Have seen a small car in traffic for many mornings over the past couple of weeks. Driver clearly new to driving stick. All sorts of stalling and hopping and chirping tires. Getting better though. Fun to see someone going the path less taken.

:(

How did we get to this point?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 05:26:27 AM »

Because most people need that hand to play candy crush or Pokemon Go while they are driving.

Therefore, they have no option but to drive an auto.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 05:56:24 AM »

Because most people need that hand to play candy crush or Pokemon Go while they are driving.

I would imagine traffic flow efficiency, crash reduction, transmission wear repair cost reduction and several other factors also play a part here.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
I like the Rocket Mortgage commercials by Quicken Loans.  I can just imagine documentaries in the future showing the commercial if we have another housing crash.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
Let's not forget that consumerist sucka holiday tradition featuring a shiny new luxo-barge sitting in front of the McMansion wearing a big honkin' red bow. Because who's never received one of those, huh?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Listening to the radio yesterday:

AD AD AD AD

"And we're back.  Playing 10 hours of uninterrupted music every day! Here we go with another 60!"

It's not uninterrupted if you constantly interrupt with sets of ads you assholes!

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
The worst for me are the ads straight up urging people to take out buy crap when they have no money...

...get a home equity loan to get that dream kitchen.
...bad credit, no credit, we will drive the VEE-hickle  to you!!!
...use this card for when life's little unexpected things come your way. 
...layaway is back!!!

Goodness, it's like half the commercials just straight up tell you, "you don't have any money, but you should spend your money here anyway".  So sleazy. 

Oh, and on so many other commercials, they market things as FREE, when it's quite the opposite, or by the amount they cost per month, rather than just saying what a thing actually costs.  That's the other one that gets me.  What a joke. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 01:06:39 PM »
Another sleazy one:

We'll get you out of your current loan or lease, no matter how much you owe!

Yea, because you just roll it into a new loan. How is that "getting you out" in anyway? You still owe that money, you just owe it to a different company now.  They make it sound like they are doing you a favor.  I wonder how many people don't realize they are still paying for that old loan? I'm guessing a lot since I hear this all the time, so it must be working.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
Another sleazy one:

Yea, because you just roll it into a new loan. How is that "getting you out" in anyway? You still owe that money, you just owe it to a different company now.  They make it sound like they are doing you a favor.  I wonder how many people don't realize they are still paying for that old loan? I'm guessing a lot since I hear this all the time, so it must be working.

Bu...bu...but I'm saving money because the payments are less. Don't you see?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 12:52:02 AM »
Another sleazy one:

Yes, but you owe it to THEIR company. That's totally different.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 06:48:16 AM »
Those stupid GMC black Friday TV commercials! One neighbor shames the other for getting up early for black Friday specials.  Meanwhile the neighbor that slept in "saved thousands" by purchasing a new SUV at their leisure.  I always wanted to make a mustacian parody where the SUV buyer gets a lesson on what really happened!

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »
There's a tv-dinner meal ad that has a creepy dude spanking his microwave meal. the tag line is "food you want to fork." i honestly don't understand how we got here...don't do nsfw things w ur food pls

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:53 AM »

Yep, one hand holds the Starbucks, the other hand holds the smart phone. The knees handle steering. The lane departure detection system reminds them to keep it between the stripes...

I'm SO ready for those people to have self-driving cars. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
Tis the season for ridiculous spending and the commercials that inspire them.  I've been hearing Shane Co. commercials in my car in the mornings where the narrator (Tom Shane) is talking to a guy on the phone and asking what he's buying his SO for Christmas.  One commercials says "a sofa" and the other "a DVD player."  In both commercials the narrator then brings in the SO on the other line for the woman to complain that they don't want something "practical," but rather "something for me."  Tom then goes into his sales pitch of the various jewelry items his company is pitching this season from $175 chains to $4000 pearl necklaces. I'm grinding my teeth in the car with how stupid it sounds out loud to compare a $100 Blue Ray player to a used car's price worth of jewelry.  I don't think I've heard of a comparable commercial where the woman is pressured into buying something frivolous for the man.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
I haven't had an sort of TV programming since 2006. I don't miss it at all. In fact, I hate commercials so much that I won't eat in a restaurant if they have TVs that I can't escape from. Not only are the commercials irritating, but it ruins the conversation at the table. Bright, shiny things are happening, talking isn't. Screw it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »
Tis the season for ridiculous spending and the commercials that inspire them.  I've been hearing Shane Co. commercials in my car in the mornings where the narrator (Tom Shane) is talking to a guy on the phone and asking what he's buying his SO for Christmas.  One commercials says "a sofa" and the other "a DVD player."  In both commercials the narrator then brings in the SO on the other line for the woman to complain that they don't want something "practical," but rather "something for me."  Tom then goes into his sales pitch of the various jewelry items his company is pitching this season from $175 chains to $4000 pearl necklaces. I'm grinding my teeth in the car with how stupid it sounds out loud to compare a $100 Blue Ray player to a used car's price worth of jewelry.  I don't think I've heard of a comparable commercial where the woman is pressured into buying something frivolous for the man.

Turn off your radio....

Seriously - I can't listen to the radio anymore. Ten minute trip and 8 minutes of commercials. Podcasts, recorded music, open window in warm weather, or chatting with the fam. All better than radio commercials.

Live TV is just as bad. Good movie, suspension of belief - and BAM! - Dodge is having a sale on pickup trucks this weekend for reasons totally unrelated to whatever holiday we are nearing.

Easter? Buy a truck. Memorial Day? Buy a couch. Labor Day? Buy a grill. July 4th? Everyone needs a new TV. 2nd Tuesday in some random month? Time to remodel, sales on paint and appliances...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

Turn off your radio....

Seriously - I can't listen to the radio anymore. Ten minute trip and 8 minutes of commercials. Podcasts, recorded music, open window in warm weather, or chatting with the fam. All better than radio commercials.

Live TV is just as bad. Good movie, suspension of belief - and BAM! - Dodge is having a sale on pickup trucks this weekend for reasons totally unrelated to whatever holiday we are nearing.

Easter? Buy a truck. Memorial Day? Buy a couch. Labor Day? Buy a grill. July 4th? Everyone needs a new TV. 2nd Tuesday in some random month? Time to remodel, sales on paint and appliances...

I'm in between audio books (I'm almost guaranteed to get another from the in-laws for Christmas). I need some noise in the car in the mornings and between the morning shows and commercials there's never time for music until the drive home.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »

Turn off your radio....

I'm in between audio books (I'm almost guaranteed to get another from the in-laws for Christmas). I need some noise in the car in the mornings and between the morning shows and commercials there's never time for music until the drive home.

Huge fan of audiobooks. I tend to alternate between nonfiction and fiction.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »
I VERY much need to do this via our local library.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 06:59:53 AM »
Turn off your radio....

Radio is the worst. I've actually began to buy albums again (filling my house up with shit... facepunch) just to never have to listen to radio ads.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!