Author Topic: What stupid thing did you do today?  (Read 6908 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
What stupid thing did you do today?
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
Here's mine: I'm dying in the hot Ottawa Valley summer... so I went and got a window a/c unit.

Got it home, upstairs, into the window. Didn't sit quite right in one window that doesn't stay open very well. Started to take it out...

It slipped. Fell 15 feet to the ground.

Brand new window unit, never even turned on, completely wrecked. I'm so... ugh.

Two ways of looking at it I guess. One, angry frustrated. Two, oh well I won't spend the money to run it now.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
Re: What stupid thing did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the laugh - glad you can see the lighter side even in light of breaking your brand new purchase.

My dumb thing - just got back from golfing with my son. I think I 3 putted 5 times.  My son beat me by 7 strokes - ugh...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

You were lucky it didn't land on something expensive or valuable.  Like a car, or (shudder) a person.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »

You were lucky it didn't land on something expensive or valuable.  Like a car, or (shudder) a person.

Yup.. it was about 5' from my car.

Oh, that reminds me. Last time I did something this stupid, years ago. I bought a secondhand CRT monitor to use on a second computer or something. Got it home, moved my LCD screen onto the sofa... it toppled forwards and smacked into a dumbell I had sitting there for just that purpose. Luckily it only left a bruise on the screen rather than breaking it completely.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
Did you buy it with a credit card? It might be covered.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
Ha, I didn't think of that. Worth checking I suppose!

*Edit* Holy crap I think they might!

2. PURCHASE SECURITY
For this coverage, Insured Person means the Cardmember. No other person or entity shall have any right, remedy or claim, legal or equitable to the benefits.
a)
Benefits
– Purchase Security coverage automatically, without registration, protects most new Insured Items purchased anywhere in the world (provided the full
Purchase Price is charged to the Account and/or paid with
Scotia Rewards
points) by insuring them for 90 days from the date of purchase in the event of loss, theft,
or damage in excess of Other Insurance. If an Insured Item is lost, stolen or damaged,
Scotia
Assist will reimburse You the lesser of the repair or replacement cost, not
exceeding the original Purchase Price charged to the Account, subject to the limits of liability and exclusions stated in Section 7 of this Certificate of Insurance.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:48:02 PM by daverobev »

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
Cool.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
This was a couple weeks ago but I hastily rebuilt the rear axle in one of my vehicles and got something wrong. Gave up and took it to a shop. Should have taken another stab at it or just swapped in a good used rear end for $350 locally. Instead I got jammed to the tune of $1700 at the shop.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »
This was a couple weeks ago but I hastily rebuilt the rear axle in one of my vehicles and got something wrong. Gave up and took it to a shop. Should have taken another stab at it or just swapped in a good used rear end for $350 locally. Instead I got jammed to the tune of $1700 at the shop.

Ooh now that is painful.

Actually, it's looking like getting a cosigner when we bought our house wasn't great... now getting the cosigner off and setting up a HELOC is going to cost (HELOC for an investment property). Less stupid than dropping the a/c unit but much more expensive.

Lawyers and bankers, eh. Mechanics... bleh.

usmarine1975

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
The credit card insurance:

I bought my wife a Chiminea for Christmas a while back now.  Needless to say it was on our back patio in the City with a red bow on it.  Two days after Christmas I came home and it was gone.  I called my wife and asked her what she did with it.  Her first response was someone stole it.  I totally thought she moved it and was playing with me.  Well after some chatter we both agreed it was stolen.  My wife then told me to call the credit card company because they might cover it.  I argued and didn't agree but did agree to call and ask what I considered to be a stupid question.

So I called the credit card company and preceded to tell the teller on the phone that I was going to ask a stupid question.  Low and behold not long after asking the question I had to call my wife back and let her know that she was in fact right and we would get reimbursed for the stolen Chiminea.  That story lasted a few years and every now and then is brought up for a good laugh.

VillageIdiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
Got my Blue Fox spinner caught on a log when fishing last week, and I got impatient and pulled really hard rather than trying to wiggle it off. Line came untied at the swivel and the spinner was lost. $4 lost at the bottom of the lake, thank goodness I don't fish bigger stuff.

Doomspark

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »
Last weekend, let my wife talk me into going and looking at motorcycles...

We didn't buy anything, but daaaaang... sure rekindled the desire to own one again.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
I bought bottled water.  Ugh.  I HATE buying bottled water.  But I was thirsty and the water where I work is undrinkable (okay, it's probably drinkable, but it's highly unpalatable).  I normally bring a self-filled Nalgene bottle from home, where I have a fridge filter that gives me great-tasting, cold, filtered water.  But I was lazy on this occasion.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
Last weekend, let my wife talk me into going and looking at motorcycles...

We didn't buy anything, but daaaaang... sure rekindled the desire to own one again.

OK, am I the only one who's jealous of Doomspark, having a wife like that?  My wife wants me to sell my motorcycles and get a car.  Ugh.

I did ride mine today rather than bicycle/bus commute.  It was pouring rain when I woke up, and this time of year I can skip the rainy days and still get lots of bicycling in.  Tomorrow I'll bicycle. 

I don't know why I'd rather ride my motorcycle than my bicycle in the rain.  I do have good gear for both.  I also hate being wet on the bus.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Got my Blue Fox spinner caught on a log when fishing last week, and I got impatient and pulled really hard rather than trying to wiggle it off. Line came untied at the swivel and the spinner was lost. $4 lost at the bottom of the lake, thank goodness I don't fish bigger stuff.

Whenever I see expensive jigs at the fishing shop, my first thought is always "Would I trust myself not to lose this immediately?" No.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
last summer I bought a brand new ford fender troll.  cost about $10.  Went fishing later that week paddled out by the river,   tied on the leader, nice worm on the hook covered in some sort of liquid designed to make it smell better,   added some weights and tossed it over the side then realized I hadn't attached it to the line on my rod.    Watched it all drift down and vanish...     I figure the last trout I caught cost me $50...  That was almost 3 years ago now so the next one will be over $90 in licenses alone...     I really enjoy fishing but damn I suck at it.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
last summer I bought a brand new ford fender troll.  cost about $10.  Went fishing later that week paddled out by the river,   tied on the leader, nice worm on the hook covered in some sort of liquid designed to make it smell better,   added some weights and tossed it over the side then realized I hadn't attached it to the line on my rod.    Watched it all drift down and vanish...     I figure the last trout I caught cost me $50...  That was almost 3 years ago now so the next one will be over $90 in licenses alone...     I really enjoy fishing but damn I suck at it.

Call it release and catch.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »
I don't know about stupid, but more wasteful than necessary.

- Drove my 25 mpg car to work instead of the 33 mpg car.  Simply because the 25 mpg car has been sitting too much.  I think I last changed the oil in March of 2013.  Haven't gone 3000 miles in it in that whole time!  Trying to use it for all trips to get to my scheduled oil change quicker now.  :-)

- Spend the big $$$ and got a half rack of ribs w/mac & cheese for group lunch out today instead of just getting a cheap sandwich.  It was delicious though...

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Went to the hotel restaurant for lunch today.  Lunch for two was $43 including tip for a soup and salad and a fish and chips deal.  I think that is a one and done restaurant.