Author Topic: What is the craziest comments you have heard about your bike commute?  (Read 31720 times)

AJDZee

• Bristles
Re: What is the craziest comments you have heard about your bike commute?
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
Today was a big day. I rode my mike to work for the first time!

Way to go, AJDZee!

Thanks! I look forward to all the crazy biking comments at work until winter comes.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Way to go, AJDZee!

Thanks! I look forward to all the crazy biking comments at work until winter comes.

Why stop in winter? You'll really get some comments then.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
I find that I prefer winter riding in many ways to summer riding.  I go WAY faster than cars do whenever we get a snowstorm because I can go around all the accidents that back traffic up for miles.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »

He must be tired! Forreal though, good job. It only get easier (and funner)

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »

Way to go, AJDZee!

If we get a few weeks of unseasonably warm weather I'd consider it, sure, but I just look at the savings and to me it's not worth it to bike to work every morning through a Canadian winter. I'm willing to give up a few MMM points I guess. But at least I actually calculate the savings/costs and make an informed decision on which route I will take. :)  but you're right, I would get some serious respect if I showed up on a bike in January.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »

Way to go, AJDZee!

If we get a few weeks of unseasonably warm weather I'd consider it, sure, but I just look at the savings and to me it's not worth it to bike to work every morning through a Canadian winter. I'm willing to give up a few MMM points I guess. But at least I actually calculate the savings/costs and make an informed decision on which route I will take. :)  but you're right, I would get some serious respect if I showed up on a bike in January.

Plenty of people in Anchorage bike all winter. If you have the right gear it's no big deal.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »

Way to go, AJDZee!

Plenty of people in Anchorage bike all winter. If you have the right gear it's no big deal.

Go Anchorage

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
My most common - and favorite - comment is always:

"I wish I was in good enough shape to ride to work"

to which I always respond:

"I think you have cause and effect reversed"

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
My most common - and favorite - comment is always:

"I wish I was in good enough shape to ride to work"

to which I always respond:

"I think you have cause and effect reversed"

If there was a 'Like' button, I'd like the shit outta that.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
"I don't know how you have the energy to bike to work."

"Morning biking is like morning sex. You actually have more energy when you're done."

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
"I don't know how you have the energy to bike to work."

"Morning biking is like morning sex. You actually have more energy when you're done."
[/q]

That is a perfect response.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »

Way to go, AJDZee!

Canadian Winter? You're in Toronto. Suck it up, princess. The army will take care of any snow for you. :P

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »

Canadian Winter? You're in Toronto. Suck it up, princess. The army will take care of any snow for you. :P
[/quote]

Ah, I see you're one of those not from Toronto that loves to hate people from Toronto. Good for you.

I still stand by my 'I'm not going to bike to work if there is snow and ice on the roads.' I didn't come here to be the most mustachian, I'm here to improve and become more mustachian than I was.

Toronto is one of the southern most points in Canada - I get that relative to 80% of the rest of the country, we have milder winters. But the temperature isn't the only variable I'm taking into consideration here.

Check out this funny skit - you've probably seen it before haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZcwnO794k

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »

Ah, I see you're one of those not from Toronto that loves to hate people from Toronto. Good for you.

I still stand by my 'I'm not going to bike to work if there is snow and ice on the roads.' I didn't come here to be the most mustachian, I'm here to improve and become more mustachian than I was.

Toronto is one of the southern most points in Canada - I get that relative to 80% of the rest of the country, we have milder winters. But the temperature isn't the only variable I'm taking into consideration here.

[/quote]

I biked in Toronto all last winter, including in pretty much all of the big snowstorms.  They keep the roads pretty well salted and cleared all winter long, so unless it has snowed within the past few hours you're usually going to be on bare roadway anyway.  The key is just to slow down early, and take corners cautiously.  I lowered my seat a bit too, as I found that it helps to be able to drop a foot in case the bike starts to slip out from under you.

You will go faster on a bike than a car in Toronto when it's snowing heavily!

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
I'm wondering if other Mustachian Millennials/Gen Y-ers get the same sort of comments I do from my folks' Boomer friends. I just had some old dude tell me that I'm lazy because I use a bicycle instead of a car to get everywhere.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »

[/quote]
Just a friendly facepunch, AJDZee. Good on ya for biking the other 9 months!
I don't have anything against Torontonians-- I've lived further south than that, even-- but you'll just have to accept for at least the next few years, you're the new Newfies. Even my friends and relatives in the T-dot never stop making fun of it.

ThatsMyOtter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
When I started working at my company about five years ago, there was a bike rack in the parking lot that no one used (I'm guessing the bike rack was there when my company bought the property). The first time I commuted to work by bike my boss told me that I have to park my bike in our warehouse instead because having a bike parked in the lot "makes it look like poor people work here." Never mind that (a) we literally never have clients or customers come to our office and (b) the car I was driving at the time was a bucket of bolts. But getting to park my bike inside is pretty great, especially if it rains while I'm at work.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
You rode in today?! It's 12 degrees outside!

In my defense, I thought it was 18 degrees; I'm not crazy, if I had known it was 6 degrees cooler, I would have driven my car.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
My parents want me to have my pepper spray handy at all times.  Hopefully I won't ever have to use it.

scamutz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 07:11:47 AM »
I've got a 5 mile commute each way, part of which I can cut through the greenway and I just started riding to work about 3 weeks ago.  I've been met with some surprising comments.  "How did that bike get here?", "Stop lying", "No you didn't" all the way to "Please let me give you a ride home, it's not safe and it's supposed to rain"  It made me feel like I was a stupid college kid contemplating driving home after a heavy night of drinking.  I'm trying to safe money and pounds people, I promise, this is not an irresponsible thing to do!  On the upside though, one friend is feeling pretty jealous and says that he's going to get his bike back from his son and ride with me.

PolarBeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
The first time I commuted to work by bike my boss told me that I have to park my bike in our warehouse instead because having a bike parked in the lot "makes it look like poor people work here."

Did I just read that? Mind boggling.

ThatsMyOtter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
The first time I commuted to work by bike my boss told me that I have to park my bike in our warehouse instead because having a bike parked in the lot "makes it look like poor people work here."

Did I just read that? Mind boggling.

I don't think he worded it quite like that, but yeah, that was basically his reasoning. My (now former) boss was very concerned about appearances with some things but not others. I had to figure out what set him off by trial and error. Things that were ok: people in our office wearing crocs or converse with their business casual (e.g., polos and khakis; I wear nicer shoes but don't mind other people wearing whatever, as we never get clients in our office), people driving crappy cars as long as they were somewhat clean, people biking to work as long as they hid the evidence, really beat up office furniture. Things that were not ok: bikes visible from the parking lot, switching to email memos to save paper (I suggested it and he shot it down, but he eventually got overruled on that one by his boss and then adjusted just fine).

ThatsMyOtter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »
While I was biking home from work a man in a convertible tried to explain to me that bicycles aren't allowed on the road...right by one of those share the road signs.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
While I was biking home from work a man in a convertible tried to explain to me that bicycles aren't allowed on the road...right by one of those share the road signs.

That is hilarious. I love people in convertibles because at least you can talk with 'em. You can't reason with a murdered-out 2-ton F-150.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »

That is hilarious. I love people in convertibles because at least you can talk with 'em. You can't reason with a murdered-out 2-ton F-150.

About a year ago I was riding home on a 25MPH main road, heavy but moving traffic.  On a downhill stretch a very blinged out (late 20's?) man in a black Cadillac Escalade pulled along side me and told me that I needed to be going 25mph to be on that road.  I was too focused to think about responding before he pulled ahead but I badly wanted to tell him to check his speedometer as I'm quite confident I _was_ going 25.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:24 AM »
Yesterday as I was getting ready for my ride home (the majority of which is on an awesome bike trail along the Potomac) an older lady in my office said she was worried I might get hit by a car.  I told her she was a lot more likely to be hit than me and I was really worried about her.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »
The comment that bugs me if I'm even just out shopping on my bike, let alone commuting:
"My, aren't you BRAVE!"

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »

I've mellowed out a lot with age - in my youth I used to chase people down to the next red light, and knock on the window until they rolled it down, or start yelling if they refused.  I don't think it ever helped though... :(

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
A colleague once said to me, "I hear riding a bike reduces your sperm count."

It was not until much later that I realized I could have responded, "Thank you for caring about my dick."

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »

It was not until much later that I realized I could have responded, "Thank you for caring about my dick."

Hahahahahha.  That's great, although technically, he only cares about your balls.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »
So I was clipped on my way home today.

It happened at the fastest part of my commute, down a hill, my GPS says I was going roughly 30mph. A car passed me and the side mirror clipped my hip. It wasn't enough to knock me over, but it made me wobble a little bit and I'm impressed I didn't end up wiping out because I've wiped out over much less.

The driver was holding the steering wheel white-knuckled and could barely see over the dash. Didn't stop or anything, I don't think they were aware.

I just started biking this month (10th commute) and so it's got me wondering how frequently I'll be having near accident events.

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
While I do wear a helmet most of the time, I've been caught without.  My response to "where's your helmet?" is "where's yours?"

Love the comments about the freeway - I get asked that too and find it so weird!

My last boss though loved that I rode my bike and would show it to anyone who came to our office (I kept it in my office).  A bit embarrassing, but I am proud of my awesome machine (I built it myself cuz I'm picky). This ticked off the office admin who really didn't think I should be bringing it in the building, but couldn't say anything.  She always had "suggestions" as to where I could lock it. (Worked in downtown LA - bike theft capitol of the area).  I told her I didn't want it stolen and her reaction was "oh, is this bike worth something?" 

Other than that, friends are always asking me to text when I get home if it's dark when we part.

mgreczyn

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »

Or "God I hope so, child support is effing killing me".

ghatko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
"Are you sure you should be biking?" (I'm now 4 months pregnant, and definitely showing) My work is very friendly to bike commuters (showers and bike racks in the underground parking garage), and I have a number of colleages (including the one quoted above) who bike commute.

I have thought a bit about biking while pregnant, but I make sure I am visible and I have had no balance issues, so I have kept biking. (Although not every day, usually a few times a week). Anyone else biking while pregnant?

scamutz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
I have thought a bit about biking while pregnant, but I make sure I am visible and I have had no balance issues, so I have kept biking. (Although not every day, usually a few times a week). Anyone else biking while pregnant?

Not pregnant, (I'm a guy) thought I do have a belly such that I could be.  Does that count?

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
Almost always it's "how far do you ride to work?"  They are very impressed when I say 7.5 miles.  However, when I used to ride 100 miles in a day (recreational, not commute) and got that mileage question I got glassy-eyed looks and no comment at all.  I don't think they can comprehend that kind of distance while riding on a bicycle.

I also get - aren't you afraid of:
Getting wet - my answer "no"
Getting cold - "no."
Getting run over - "no"
Getting hot - "no"
Getting sweaty - "no"
...and then I smile and turn away.

Or when I go sans helmet to bike over to a deli (I wear the helmet all other times) I get "where's your helmet?" - my answer "in my office."

I've been riding and responding for so many years and asked by so many people that I just find it easier on me to avoid the reason for their question, answer the actual question, and move on.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:52:26 PM by Rollin »

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

That's sort of what I say when people start telling me I'm going to be raped for riding my bicycle to my night shift job.

"Your concern about the state of my vagina is duly noted."

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
"Are you sure you should be biking?" (I'm now 4 months pregnant, and definitely showing) My work is very friendly to bike commuters (showers and bike racks in the underground parking garage), and I have a number of colleages (including the one quoted above) who bike commute.

Women who bicycle, especially when pregnant, are awesome! http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/09/cycling-with-contractions-to-hospital.html

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Anyone else biking while pregnant?

My mom did. Prepare for your kid to be a cycling fiend.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
Anyone else biking while pregnant?

My mom did. Prepare for your kid to be a cycling fiend.

With first kid, I biked until I was about 4 months pregnant, then stopped because summer was becoming too hot. My doc had told me that I could do whatever exercise I wanted as long as I didn't overheat. By the time the summer ended, I was too whale-like to get on a bike.

With second kid, I unfortunately wasn't biking at all, but driving to work and day care with first kid. But now that they are in school I'm back in the saddle.

ghatko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »
Well this is our second kid. The first one is 3 and loves to ride in the bike trailer. We did a 200 km bike/camping trip (over 3 days) back in June (just after I found out I was pregnant ;) ), and I had a lot of people asking how we were able to keep her in the trailer that long. But she was great. She never complained to get out (unless we stopped, then she wanted out immediately), and she was happy to look at the great scenery, and take a few naps.

When I bike to work, my 12 km commute (one-way) includes 3 km pulling her to daycare in the trailer. I am able to leave the trailer at daycare, and then bike the remaining 9 km to work. She loves to take the bike trailer to daycare instead of the car.

Women who bicycle, especially when pregnant, are awesome! http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/09/cycling-with-contractions-to-hospital.html

Thanks for the great story! I loved the pictures of women biking while pregnant. I think my problem will be that I lean forward a bit on my bike (compared to the Danish women pictured) so I'm pretty sure my belly will be getting in the way soon.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
Just want to jump in for an other side of the world view:
I got only one response so far:
"Oh you bike here too!?"

We have a bike parking, which is closer to my desk, than the car parking lot. It holds like 100 bikes and is crowded when to weather is good.
Actually I drove once to work and got a strange look from a co-worker who knows how ridiculous short my commute is (about a mile).
I was going away for the weekend and didn't want to go home to get the car.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
I got a crazy *good* comment this morning

"You are my inspiration", followed by a conversation about my commute, how often, how long, fitness levels, etc.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
Now that it's getting cooler and the short summer is over I'm starting to get weird comments about my "winter commute". Mind you, cooler means it's not above 20°C anymore but down in the low to mid 10s yet still way above freezing.

I've recently rebuilt an old 1974 bike that I found abandoned in our basement for less than 20 bucks (took me a year to finally find all party necessary on eBay for the right parts but patience literally paid off) that I now use for my commute from train station to work place at our main site (my office is about 200 miles south and I travel there by train almost every week). Some of my employees were completely shocked to see their boss show up on a 30-year old bike instead of a brand-new premium car. Especially since they've learned that I've declined the offer for a company car and prefer to use the train & bike instead.

I think they still have a long way to go...