Author Topic: What crazy items have you seen for sale lately?  (Read 10422 times)

Ayanka

• Stubble
What crazy items have you seen for sale lately?
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
when looking through the sales from a  grocery store, I encountered their commercial for an electrical towel drying rack. Price only 80 EUR/110USD. Anyone else that has recently seen things you can't believe they are trying to sell.

A_P_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What crazy items have you seen for sale lately?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
I fly a lot for business, so... everything in SkyMall.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
Walk into a store, look around...

Just about everything there.

steadierfooting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
Costco has been pushing for years in their advertisements survival food.  Pallet of dehydrated 5gal bucket food for your family that will last a year.  It takes up a lot of the advertising space with the different variations.  I couldn't imagine who would buy that?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
$10 of quarters for $14.99 (hat tip to Frizhand)

http://washboard.co/plans.php

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Pre-sliced watermelon for $9/pound.  If I'm paying $9/pound for something, it better be a good steak.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »

That is absolutely insane!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
Pretty much anything "slicer".  There are specific strawberry slicers, avocado slicers, apple slicers, and of course banana slicers.  I just don't understand someone who would own 15 different slicers and not a single knife.  Pretty much half of any specialty kitchen store can be replaced with a knife and a cast iron pan.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »

I....I don't even understand this.  Do they send you quarters?  Like, in the mail?

I looked it up.  And yes.  They send you quarters in the mail, with 2-day shipping.  I...my brain...I just...WHO IS THIS FOR?  I barely use cash for anything and I still have a bunch of quarters.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

hahaha that's fucking impressive. kudos to whoever thought it. lol

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
Pre-sliced watermelon for $9/pound.  If I'm paying $9/pound for something, it better be a good steak.

I'll come to your house and cut it for you at that price.  10 lb minimum.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
Any new motor vehicle with 4 wheels that costs over about 25k US (and specifically any porsche, land rover, lexus, infiniti, lincoln, cadalac, mercedes, audi or any other "luxury" brand car, most full size trucks, except if you live in an actual rural setting and its used for hauling shit in the bed >50% of the time).  Any two wheeled motor vehicle over about 10k (think Harley's).  Just about any recreational boat.  90% of the shit for sale in a mall (which are typically about 2/3 clothing stores).  New houses up the street from my place for mid 500's (soulless boxes that are sandwiched together - yuk).  Granite counter tops.  Fancy rims for vehicles.  Fancy jewelery.  Consumer pressure washers (which tend to sit in the garage 363 days of the year - try renting the 1 or 2 days a year you actually need one). 

The list of crazy, useless shit for sale is endless.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Money-Pennies-100-Plastic/dp/B000QDY2A0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1403726524&sr=8-8&keywords=toy+pennies

100 plastic pennies.  Current selling price is $4.99.
Awesome! 

About half of the reviewers seem to realize the insanity of this product.  The other half I just can't tell...though I really hope they are tongue in cheek.

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Money-Pennies-100-Plastic/dp/B000QDY2A0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1403726524&sr=8-8&keywords=toy+pennies

100 plastic pennies.  Current selling price is $4.99.
Awesome! 

About half of the reviewers seem to realize the insanity of this product.  The other half I just can't tell...though I really hope they are tongue in cheek.

At least the 100 pack of nickels advertised next to it are "correctly" priced. 

ETA - although reading the comments, from a teacher's perspective it might make sense to make a one time investment in fake pennies, rather than having to replenish real pennies again and again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:41:13 PM by Mrs3F »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 02:40:14 AM »
Most products in a baby store.. Right from wipe warmers to the miracle product that promises to soothe your baby at night (but doesn't and can't be returned since it was opened and tried)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
when looking through the sales from a  grocery store, I encountered their commercial for an electrical towel drying rack. Price only 80 EUR/110USD. Anyone else that has recently seen things you can't believe they are trying to sell.

We received one for a wedding gift from my nutso MIL. The H refused to donate it, so it lived in his closet for nine years until we moved.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »
Costco has been pushing for years in their advertisements survival food.  Pallet of dehydrated 5gal bucket food for your family that will last a year.  It takes up a lot of the advertising space with the different variations.  I couldn't imagine who would buy that?

I have met a lot of people that think there will be an apocalypse in their lifetime and that they would actually have a chance to survive it. In addition to food they will never eat, they:

1. buy gold
2. buy expensive medications intended for animals
3. buy tools that will never be used
4. buy overpriced backpacks
5. waste time learning skills they'll never use
6. build shelters that will go unused
7. stockpile expensive ammunition
8. buy medical gear that requires more training than they have and necessitates follow on hospitalization (in the apocalyptic world?)

The whole idea makes me protectively clutch my mustache.

Back in 1999 some folks in our neighborhood put up a bunch of survivalist planning posters for a meeting.  My next door neighbor, a retired veteran, went out of curiosity.

He was very impressed with the amount and quality of the  provisions, tools, etc., that these folks were putting together.

Except...

So he asked...

"You didn't mention guns.  What about your guns?"

The reply was, "Oh, we don't believe in guns."

His reply was, "OH!!!  Thank GOD!    'Cause I do.  I can just come down here and take all your stuff if I need it.  That will save me a bundle!"

They couldn't find enough air to make a sound in reply.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
$40 toothpicks/dozen. They're artisanal, hand-crafted, individually flavored. Sported by Ryan Gosling in the movie 'Drive'.
You can find them here: http://daneson.com/

Don't all try to purchase at once, it may crash their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
$40 toothpicks/dozen. They're artisanal, hand-crafted, individually flavored. Sported by Ryan Gosling in the movie 'Drive'.

WTF?!  Don't forget to buy your special leather case for them - only $89.99!

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:10 AM »
Become a Count or Countess of Sealand.
http://www.sealandgov.org/title-pack/count-countess-title-pack

While America has a lot of wealth inequality, one thing this country is lacking is titles of nobility.  Now we can get one step closer to the monarchy we've always dreamed of.

YankeeSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »

Having a year's worth of food stored is kind of crazy. If you really need to use it, are things suddenly going to get better when you run out?

YankeeSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »

His reply was, "OH!!!  Thank GOD!    'Cause I do.  I can just come down here and take all your stuff if I need it.  That will save me a bundle!"

They couldn't find enough air to make a sound in reply.

Haha. Yes, this is another thing to consider about a post-apocalyptic scenario. If you are in a situation where you really need a year's worth of food, you can assume that civil order will have broken down and that property rights may no longer be relevant.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »
About the year of food storage, it might not be as insane as you think. If you stock it up in basics instead of fake food from Amazon that is. In another forum I am a member off, there were people who lived in the north of the USA, who had half a year of winter (think snow), lived very far from the next (cheap) grocery store... For this kind of people having a year of food might not be as stupid as for others. If you live in the city in a small appartment, then yes it is a stupid idea.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »
Crazy items for sale: Pretty much the entire cookie/cracker aisle at the grocery store.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
Become a Count or Countess of Sealand.
http://www.sealandgov.org/title-pack/count-countess-title-pack

While America has a lot of wealth inequality, one thing this country is lacking is titles of nobility.  Now we can get one step closer to the monarchy we've always dreamed of.

Did you read the background? Hilarity! http://www.sealandgov.org/about

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:36 PM »

Having a year's worth of food stored is kind of crazy. If you really need to use it, are things suddenly going to get better when you run out?
I have a year's worth of food stored. Well, I'm low now, but I will at the end of summer after preserving season is over. I can assure I'm a totally normal, non-apocalypse-cheering suburban type. Heck, I'm not even Mormon. But the ROI on my food stores is pretty damned good - food continues to tick up in cost, even as inflation for other things stays anemic. Anyway, here's my "one year food storage isn't crazy" reasoning: my husband's income is our primary income. He's a contractor. He could be beached for six months tomorrow. Not likely, but possible. He could also get hit by a truck. Not likely, but possible. So we have medical insurance and food storage and money saved. These are all reasonable, adult things to have that will help us mitigate the downsides of reasonable "localized" emergencies. So if our income goes to zero, we have the ability to temporarily take our expenses way, way down, basically to property taxes and water. Plus, I really hate running out of ingredients. Drives me batty, the idea of HAVING to go to the market. So it's not all zombies and dudes with Rambo fantasies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »

I have a year's worth of food stored. Well, I'm low now, but I will at the end of summer after preserving season is over. I can assure I'm a totally normal, non-apocalypse-cheering suburban type. Heck, I'm not even Mormon. But the ROI on my food stores is pretty damned good - food continues to tick up in cost, even as inflation for other things stays anemic. Anyway, here's my "one year food storage isn't crazy" reasoning: my husband's income is our primary income. He's a contractor. He could be beached for six months tomorrow. Not likely, but possible. He could also get hit by a truck. Not likely, but possible. So we have medical insurance and food storage and money saved. These are all reasonable, adult things to have that will help us mitigate the downsides of reasonable "localized" emergencies. So if our income goes to zero, we have the ability to temporarily take our expenses way, way down, basically to property taxes and water. Plus, I really hate running out of ingredients. Drives me batty, the idea of HAVING to go to the market. So it's not all zombies and dudes with Rambo fantasies.

I have what I hope is a year's worth of Vidalia onions in my freezer. I failed to put up a full year's worth of venison during the last hunting season, because I'm out now. I hope to do better this year. Every July, I put up a year's worth of blackberries, elderberries, and blueberries which I pick for free on our property. I buy a year's worth of turkey and ham when it is on sale around the winter holidays. In other words, seasonally cheap or available items, I put away a year's worth when they are in season. It's saves a ton of money.

Oh, and TVP. I have a couple years' worth of that because buying a 25-pound bag online (from Bob's Red Mill) saves a fortune in price and shipping costs. Storage for that is crazy easy (ziplock bags in a well-washed plastic tub that once held cat litter) and that 25 pounds is dry weight; it increases at least four times when rehydrated, so it lasts forever.

So for me, the storage is limited, but it's for seasonal foods, seasonal sales, and exceptional deals. I cut way back last year because I knew we'd be moving, and that paid off since our antique freezer died shortly after; I lost some meat but caught it in time to cook up all the remaining berries into muffins and breads we've been eating down slowly. Now I'm building back up with a new freezer and saving a ton with the sales, seasonal prices, and free food.

manonfire1007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
Food in a movie theater. Popcorn and a drink was 14.50.
Re the now second issue of the thread, we all save, stash, invest money because at some point we plan to consume it and like not needing to worry about going without. We all consider having money put aside for a rainy day prudent. I would submit that having other consumable items put aside for a rainy day also makes sense. Who likes running out of food, water, or tp? Yeah, some go to extremes, but the concept itself is sound, no?

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
I also tend to have a lot of food in the house.  probably not a years worth but close.  Things are running low as the garden is slow to produce this year and I haven't started replacing most of it.   The staples just make sense to buy in huge amounts.   50lb bags of rice are far cheaper then little boxed rice.  Same with flour. 

Beyond the basics I also have a months worth of the freeze dried food.   I live in a major earthquake region where they recommend 3 days to a weeks worth of food and water for the entire family.   I happen to have my amateur radio ticket and attended one of the emergency planning meetings which the government holds with the radio club as they intend to use amateur radio in the event of a big earthquake.  Speaking with them even the people in charge had way over 1 weeks worth of food.   If an 8+ hits us (and it's not out of the question) then 3 days to resupply is dreaming. My specific location could fairly easily be cut off for weeks.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »

oh shit

I'm totally making some of these this week

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »

oh shit

I'm totally making some of these this week

Oh, man - did y'all buy all the good ones?  The most expensive I can find is $36 for 4 tubes (dozen each tube).

The craziest thing I saw today was stacked outside our local froo froo store - an instant bonfire log.  I didn't see the price, but it looks like it's $10-15 for a hunk of birch with a chain sawn star in the middle and cardboard stuffed in the middle.  I have a downed tree in the back yard.  Hmmm...