Author Topic: What's your dumbest mistake?  (Read 20161 times)

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's your dumbest mistake?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
Whenever I have to send an email to my colleagues or boss it always start it out full bore; glorious and profane, then I edit it down until it is work appropriate... sometimes tho, I don't.

Also, I signed up for one of those door-to-door magazine subscription services for about $50 dollars but after a few months of not receiving my magazines I called the number on the receipt to complain. I ended up getting talked into renewing subscriptions, that I hadn't been getting, so that I could continue not getting them for another 12 months.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
Hands down,  biggest dumbest most expensive mistake I ever made was to buy a freaking Timeshare.  So worthless I can't give it away.  It's a perpetual negative annuity of maintenance fees that will never go away.  (I stopped paying them 10 years ago and "abandoned" the property, but still get bills)

Please don't make the same mistake!

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »
Our dumbest mistake was moving our young adult son across country. We rented a Uhaul truck, which was way bigger than we needed, but was cheaper than smaller ones, plus we could tow his car. He had his bedroom furniture and personal belongings and we picked up some used miscellaneous stuff locally.  By the time we got through paying for the rental and the gas, we could have easily bought all new furniture for his apartment.😡

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
Hands down,  biggest dumbest most expensive mistake I ever made was to buy a freaking Timeshare.  So worthless I can't give it away.  It's a perpetual negative annuity of maintenance fees that will never go away.  (I stopped paying them 10 years ago and "abandoned" the property, but still get bills)

Please don't make the same mistake!

I've heard Dave Ramsey tell people to donate the time share to charity. At least that way they would get a tax write off. He has also mentioned advertising them on eBay.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »
I majored in Writing. So...

Clover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »
About two weeks ago I was wondering why I hadn't received my tax refund.  It should have been in my account much sooner unless the IRS was running really behind.  When I started looking into it I found that I completed the return, paid the software providers fee, but then never actually made it to "submit return" section. 

Oops, at least I didn't have to pay penalties and fees.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
I majored in Writing. So...

I guess I did it the right way round, majored in accounting, and write at night. Although I sometimes wish I'd take the college opportunity to take a bunch of writing classes.

Stupid mistakes? hmm... I put my name in a 'drawing' at a fair I attened when I was 22. Got a call, "Oh, you won! But you have to pay $200 to collect your prize!" Stupid me, I PAID IT! Gaa! And ended up with NOTHING, since, surprise! It was a scam!

Other mistakes I've made are mistakenly having things shipped to an old address because I didn't double check the shipping information on a online order. Of course, whoever got my package made off with it, and since the company hadn't made a mistake I was out the money.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
I bought a mandolin to slice my vegetables thinly. Then I forgot about the safety precautions and sliced the tips of my fingers off. I tried to stop the bleeding at home, but ended up needing to go to the ER.

The doctor there looked at my wounds and grinned, saying, "If I were a betting man, I'd say that -someone- didn't follow the directions while using a mandolin."

Thank you, that will be $1000.

Clover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »
Stupid mistakes? hmm... I put my name in a 'drawing' at a fair I attened when I was 22. Got a call, "Oh, you won! But you have to pay $200 to collect your prize!" Stupid me, I PAID IT! Gaa! And ended up with NOTHING, since, surprise! It was a scam!

Oh, I've done that one too!  Only it was my fiance (now husband) who won a free trip for two to the Bahamas.  Except, those port fees canít be waived!  He had to pay about $200 for port fees.  But, he didnít have a credit card back then.  So, against my better judgment,  I gave my cc info out over the phone so we could get a ďfreeĒ trip to the Bahamas.  That was about 20 years ago and Iíve still never seen the Bahamas.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

Oh, I've done that one too!  Only it was my fiance (now husband) who won a free trip for two to the Bahamas.  Except, those port fees canít be waived!  He had to pay about $200 for port fees.  But, he didnít have a credit card back then.  So, against my better judgment,  I gave my cc info out over the phone so we could get a ďfreeĒ trip to the Bahamas.  That was about 20 years ago and Iíve still never seen the Bahamas.

Aha, yep! Same scam. Its been too long, but yeah, mine was for a free trip for 2 to somewhere or other (maybe the Bahamas). Yeah, I wasn't savy enough yet, it was my first job, etc.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Our dumbest mistake was moving our young adult son across country. We rented a Uhaul truck, which was way bigger than we needed, but was cheaper than smaller ones, plus we could tow his car. He had his bedroom furniture and personal belongings and we picked up some used miscellaneous stuff locally.  By the time we got through paying for the rental and the gas, we could have easily bought all new furniture for his apartment.😡

When my brother moved cross country, from PA to WA, my dad bought a truck that was large enough he could put his car and his project boat in the back, replaced the breaks on it, drove cross country and then sold the truck when he got over there.  He actually sold the truck for more then he got it for.  Basically enough to cover the cost of the breaks, and only effectively paid for gas.

When he got over there, he bought an RV, lived on someone else's land with just a hose and an extension cord hookup. 

He basically lives the 'ERE' lifestyle, but he doesn't live off a nest egg, just works a little bit for his money. 

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
I once locked myself out of my office.  So I went around to the opposite office and climbed over the wall.  I accidentally cut my hand on the drop ceiling frame, and then realized I had hopped over the wrong wall.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
[quote author=Cinder link=topic=11242.msg287332#msg287332 date=1399575686

He basically lives the 'ERE' lifestyle, but he doesn't live off a nest egg, just works a little bit for his money.
[/quote]

Sounds like my first husband. I was amazed that he worked for the highway department and never spent a paycheck. He made enough money on the side to pay for living expenses.  He would've been a great MMM.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »

Did you turn in the Uhaul in the son's new city? Major mistake. Always turn it in where you rented it. Then its 20/day vs hundreds.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Did you turn in the Uhaul in the son's new city? Major mistake. Always turn it in where you rented it. Then its 20/day vs hundreds.
Trucks you pay by the mile which adds up quickly, especially on top of gas. Trailers however it's a great idea to bring them back
If you move somewhere everyone else is escaping from, it's a great deal. I moved from Atlanta to Chicago some years ago and U-Haul practically paid me to drive the truck up there.  It was dirt cheap and I had my pick of over 30 trucks in all shapes and sizes to use.