Author Topic: What's your "Oh wait, I'm the weird one" story?  (Read 18473 times)

Salivanth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What's your "Oh wait, I'm the weird one" story?
« on: April 04, 2020, 07:33:38 PM »
The longer I live the Moustachian lifestyle, the more it just seems normal, and I occasionally forget that the rest of the world doesn't live the same way. This has occasionally caused some moments of confusion. For instance, just last week, I asked my girlfriend (whom I don't live with, and won't see for a while thanks to Covid) how she was, given everything that's been going on. She said "Good. We've been ordering a lot of takeout, but mostly healthy stuff." I then proceeded to ask if she had enough food and if she needed help - because that's the first place my brain jumps to when I think "Ordering takeout multiple times per week" - they must have no other option! Surely they're almost out of supplies!

Fortunately I came to my senses before I said that second part...and then I thought you all might have some funny stories of that nature too.

When have you heard something, and suddenly (or, even better, after an amusing comedy of errors) remembered that you're the unusual one, and the other party is actually pretty normal in our current society?

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's your "Oh wait, I'm the weird one" story?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:05:29 PM »
Pretty much anytime saving or credit card debt comes up I have to hold my tongue, I find.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »
When I revealed that I cut my own hair.

"It's only $10!"

Yeah, every 2-4 weeks. Multiplied by the 10 years I've been doing it...

Had a similar discussion when I revealed among a large group of people I was the only one without a car payment.  And that dropping a $1000 repair on a $2500 car still made financial sense to me.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 09:21:44 PM »
When I was still working, about the last year I was still in the office I'd discovered the joys of thrift shopping for clothes/shoes/cool accessories.

I was wearing a really pretty dress - high-end (I had no idea) brand that fit me really well and a coworker said something like "really love that dress/looks nice on you" and I blurted out "I know! Isn't it great!? I got it at goodwill for $1.50!"

I realized afterwards that bragging I paid a buck fifty for an outfit I bought used in a fancypants office environment might make me a bit of an odd duck. 

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
Friend:  Want to go shopping?
Me:  No, I don't need anything.
Friend:  Just to hang out and have fun?
Me:  (Awkwardly)  No, that's not my idea of fun.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
any conversation about biking to work usually reminds me that this whole FIRE thing is a bit of social deviancy

* "isn't that dangerous?" usually said by a coworker who regularly drives 20-40 miles in highway traffic/stroads often in pouring rain (florida) and under construction vs my mostly trails/residential roads.
* "what will you do when it rains" (as if rain jackets hafnt been invented)
* "well I couldn't do that, I live too far" (you are right, but last I checked there are houses, condos, townhomes, and apartments all between point A and B, many of them affordable, many with just fine schools....

That leads me to the second one, I don't know if this is all FIRE people, but I generally don't CARE all that much about the exact school rating/grade/number or whatever statistic used to show how "great the schools are in suburb X"...  and I have kids.  Most my coworkers OBSESS over all this.  I'm kinda like meh.  and any conversation I have with them where I espouse location to work and walkability/bikability as being higher consideration than school rating, again with kids will DEFINETLY get somes awkward looks.

I like to joke, the only difference between <notoriously RICH suburban magnet/AP/superstat HS> and <notoriously bad poor inner city HS> is the QUALITY of the drugs, not the QUANTITY.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 10:40:06 PM »
any conversation about biking to work usually reminds me that this whole FIRE thing is a bit of social deviancy

* "isn't that dangerous?" usually said by a coworker who regularly drives 20-40 miles in highway traffic/stroads often in pouring rain (florida) and under construction vs my mostly trails/residential roads.
* "well I couldn't do that, I live too far" (you are right, but last I checked there are houses, condos, townhomes, and apartments all between point A and B, many of them affordable, many with just fine schools....

That leads me to the second one, I don't know if this is all FIRE people, but I generally don't CARE all that much about the exact school rating/grade/number or whatever statistic used to show how "great the schools are in suburb X"...  and I have kids.  Most my coworkers OBSESS over all this.  I'm kinda like meh.  and any conversation I have with them where I espouse location to work and walkability/bikability as being higher consideration than school rating, again with kids will DEFINETLY get somes awkward looks.

I like to joke, the only difference between <notoriously RICH suburban magnet/AP/superstat HS> and <notoriously bad poor inner city HS> is the QUALITY of the drugs, not the QUANTITY.

I've had the school score debate during our many moves around the country. It turns out that a 5/10 elementary school is still really damn good.

My choice to ride a bike to work this year now looks brilliant with several base entrances shut down and longer waits to drive through.  I can take my bike through the pedestrian gate getting me to work in half the time it would take to drive. 

When I was still working, about the last year I was still in the office I'd discovered the joys of thrift shopping for clothes/shoes/cool accessories.

I was wearing a really pretty dress - high-end (I had no idea) brand that fit me really well and a coworker said something like "really love that dress/looks nice on you" and I blurted out "I know! Isn't it great!? I got it at goodwill for $1.50!"

I realized afterwards that bragging I paid a buck fifty for an outfit I bought used in a fancypants office environment might make me a bit of an odd duck. 

I own one suit. I pieced it together from Goodwill, Ross, Target, and Burlington Coat Factory. My coworkers who never wear suits thought it was a boss move. I did not bring it up around my sister's lawyer friends. They might not let me hang out with them anymore.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:26:33 AM »
Not strictly mustachian, but: I had to use Instagram for the first time on behalf of an organization. Apparently, it is designed so you can't make posts from a computer; you have to download the phone app (where it's easier to build in addictive reinforcements!) You also can't share links in posts, which seems antithetical to the entire social media ethos.

I did not get a warm reception for my rants about its user-unfriendly design.

You can actually use IG on a computer. I hate IG, too, but have to use it for work, so I googled how to do this. It’s pretty easy. (Note, I am on a Mac, but I can’t imagine there isn’t a similar way on PC.)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 07:31:48 AM »
Not strictly mustachian, but: I had to use Instagram for the first time on behalf of an organization. Apparently, it is designed so you can't make posts from a computer; you have to download the phone app (where it's easier to build in addictive reinforcements!) You also can't share links in posts, which seems antithetical to the entire social media ethos.

I know! The closed-box nature of some of those social applications make me crazy.

ExitViaTheCashRamp

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Holidays in the sun.

I get going overseas to sunny places with beautiful sea to swim in, stay in a fancy hotel and eat exotic food - maybe swim in their awesome pool.

I just don't get what you are supposed to do on the 2nd day of the holiday ? Visit a couple of historical sites ? Great ! So that's the next couple of days sorted. There doesn't seem to be anything exciting to do on day 4+ ?

skp

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:38 PM »
I was telling people at work about our new puppy.  The new puppy is chewing everything in site including my couch.  Fortunately, I said it doesn't matter much, it really does need replaced.  It's 40 years old. 

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
Holidays in the sun.

I get going overseas to sunny places with beautiful sea to swim in, stay in a fancy hotel and eat exotic food - maybe swim in their awesome pool.

I just don't get what you are supposed to do on the 2nd day of the holiday ? Visit a couple of historical sites ? Great ! So that's the next couple of days sorted. There doesn't seem to be anything exciting to do on day 4+ ?

I didn't get this for years either - I used to live in Australia in a fairly sunny area.  While winters did get cold(ish), they still had blue sky and sun.  I currently live in the Netherlands, and after 6 months of grey, I would happily just sit in the sun and warm weather for a week!  How situation can change views!

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 12:50:11 PM »

I've had the school score debate during our many moves around the country. It turns out that a 5/10 elementary school is still really damn good.

My choice to ride a bike to work this year now looks brilliant with several base entrances shut down and longer waits to drive through.  I can take my bike through the pedestrian gate getting me to work in half the time it would take to drive. 

Ive come to believe that a good deal of that score is tinged with the "perceived class level" of the student body.  People who think they are rich or "made it" don't want their kids to go to school with too many "those" kids.  I for one would rather my kid go to a place that has a reasonably diverse range of children both social-economic and cultural/race.  This effect is REALLY pronounced with a pretty fair number of the "we chose private school" types at least in my area.  Last thing I need is for my kid to get the idea that its completely normal for a 16 year old to have a new lexus/BMW as their first car.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:29 AM »

I'm a user interface designer by trade. I feel your pain, Instagram is a cluster fuck for first time users.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 03:43:16 AM »
Holidays in the sun.

I didn't get this for years either - I used to live in Australia in a fairly sunny area.  While winters did get cold(ish), they still had blue sky and sun.  I currently live in the Netherlands, and after 6 months of grey, I would happily just sit in the sun and warm weather for a week!  How situation can change views!

Funny, I'm in the Netherlands and to me, we've had an incredibly sunny and warm couple of weeks! But I guess our level of sunny is nothing compared to Australian sunny. We haven't had much of a winter, just a really long autumn, so I was happy when the weather got better a few weeks ago.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 04:00:42 AM »
Holidays in the sun.

Funny, I'm in the Netherlands and to me, we've had an incredibly sunny and warm couple of weeks! But I guess our level of sunny is nothing compared to Australian sunny. We haven't had much of a winter, just a really long autumn, so I was happy when the weather got better a few weeks ago.

Yep, the last week or two has been lovely!  The general winter weather we have really struggled with (the grey, not the cold!).  Reinforces that its all relative!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »
was added to a WhatsApp group of cousins (1st and 2nd cousins)...

during some topic chat, I mentioned I'm planning on retiring around when my youngest goes to college (in 12 years). I'd be ~54. Responses were majority negative, from mild to disgust.

Many of my cousins are entitled and have EOC, and work for their parents, or they married into money, while my bro and I are successful without grants and loans from Bank of Dad & Mum.

I politely wished them the best and noped the fuck out of that group chat. One cousin keeps on trying to add me every month to the group.

My brother asked me why I keep on leaving the group. I said I didn't ask to join, hence I left, and I have nothing in common with our cousins. The less I know, the happier I am.

My wife wonders how I'm not materialistic and am an outcast; she's happy that I focus on my family and building the little green army.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »

during some topic chat, I mentioned I'm planning on retiring around when my youngest goes to college (in 12 years). I'd be ~54. Responses were majority negative, from mild to disgust.

Many of my cousins are entitled and have EOC, and work for their parents, or they married into money, while my bro and I are successful without grants and loans from Bank of Dad & Mum.

I politely wished them the best and noped the fuck out of that group chat. One cousin keeps on trying to add me every month to the group.

My brother asked me why I keep on leaving the group. I said I didn't ask to join, hence I left, and I have nothing in common with our cousins. The less I know, the happier I am.

My wife wonders how I'm not materialistic and am an outcast; she's happy that I focus on my family and building the little green army.

Just mute the group. No reason to offend people by leaving over and over.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »

Muting isn't effective when those same muppets privately DM me to check the group to respond because I haven't read the message (those 2 blue check marks).

Can't offend those who are disconnected from reality, have servants and drivers, and live a life of leisure (upper class in a developing nation).

Unfortunately I can't stop using whatsapp since I use it for good close family, and some very close friend chat groups. And my cycling and gym groups.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »

His cousins are vocally upset at his retirement plans and he should be concerned about coming across as offensive?

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »
Had a similar discussion when I revealed among a large group of people I was the only one without a car payment.  And that dropping a $1000 repair on a $2500 car still made financial sense to me.

Raises hand...yep that was us.  We went 16 years with both of our Saturns and we did make some pretty expensive repairs but they were normal wear and tear type repairs plus extended the life of both cars considerably.    I forget how many people told us just to get a new car because of low interest rates, get the latest technology, etc. etc.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

Raises hand...yep that was us.  We went 16 years with both of our Saturns and we did make some pretty expensive repairs but they were normal wear and tear type repairs plus extended the life of both cars considerably.    I forget how many people told us just to get a new car because of low interest rates, get the latest technology, etc. etc.

My dad had a 14 yr old Dodge Ram with 38,000 miles on it.  Mint condition.  It started needing some things replaced -- nothing major, but dad felt nickled-and-dimed.  So he says he's getting a new truck.  I tried to tell him he could put a new engine and a new transmission in his truck for a fraction of the cost.  But no.  He spent $40k on a new one. 

And he hated it.  Didn't ride as well or drive as well.  He's had 2 more since and wishes he'd kept the first one.  What a waste.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »

My dad had a 14 yr old Dodge Ram with 38,000 miles on it.  Mint condition.  It started needing some things replaced -- nothing major, but dad felt nickled-and-dimed.  So he says he's getting a new truck.  I tried to tell him he could put a new engine and a new transmission in his truck for a fraction of the cost.  But no.  He spent $40k on a new one. 

And he hated it.  Didn't ride as well or drive as well.  He's had 2 more since and wishes he'd kept the first one.  What a waste.

So just go and get a mint version of the same truck he liked so much!

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 01:57:30 PM »

So just go and get a mint version of the same truck he liked so much!

He would NEVER buy a used car!  Oh, the horror. 

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »
On the same day

One co-worker:
Glad they extended the tax deadline, i still haven't done my 2018 taxes.  It's ok, the fees are really small.

Another:
Man just when I think I can handle my own investments this happens.  At least I've got all my money out so I'm not losing any more.

Me:
*Explodes internally*

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
My big one is hearing people who are still employed (working from home, etc.) bitch because their lives have changed due to the virus. My life hasn't changed a bit: I get up, go to work, go home. OK, there are some masks and gloves involved, and I have been spending an extra hour or two a day providing emotional support to several other people. The result is that I don't get as much solo time as I need to chill at home and get things done around the house. Oh, and there are all the people who live paycheck to paycheck who have their hands out. That's a bit of a change. But I'm not missing the restaurants, bars, sports events, and public stuff except for national parks and museums. But for the most part it's business as usual.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
I'm self employed and today I was teaching one of my (wealthier, older, also self employed) clients online. He said 'oh, I'm going to lose £8000 in income a year due to this crisis'. This is probably 10% or less of his work. I laughed and said 'well, I'll lose more than that, I've lost half my work.' He immediately gasped and apologised and offered his condolences. Somehow my "it'll be fine" didn't seem to register with him, he was so shocked.

I wasn't sure how to respond in this situation. "Don't worry, I still have a 20% savings rate, even with only half my pay" somehow didn't seem quite right, not sure 'average' people can process that one. Maybe I should just stay really vague and not tell people about the drop in my income at all.

The same happened last week when the old lady I volunteer with told me her friend lost her job. I said jokingly that I still have half a job. The next time I dropped off food, she put £100 on her trolley, saying that I could take it if I'm in need.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
My big one is hearing people who are still employed (working from home, etc.) bitch because their lives have changed due to the virus. My life hasn't changed a bit: I get up, go to work, go home. OK, there are some masks and gloves involved, and I have been spending an extra hour or two a day providing emotional support to several other people. The result is that I don't get as much solo time as I need to chill at home and get things done around the house. Oh, and there are all the people who live paycheck to paycheck who have their hands out. That's a bit of a change. But I'm not missing the restaurants, bars, sports events, and public stuff except for national parks and museums. But for the most part it's business as usual.

They might be valid, but depends how well they handle it.

My wife and I have been made to WFH full-time during the pandemic. That's the easy part as we used to do this 1-2 days a week previously.
The hard part is that in addition to the workday, we are also surrogate substitute teachers to young K-2 kids who require supervision and focus. To add insult, the teachers are placing deadlines and grades on the homework. I have a 2nd grader sitting at the dining table and my wife has a K'er in her office room. We aren't trained to deal with kids from a teacher perspective, our spawn don't listen because mum&dad not equal to teacher, they want to play around thinking this is an extended spring break. Plus having to deal with work tasks, deadlines, etc.

My wife and I are spending less time now talking to each other on valid issues like our rental properties, investments, family members', etc. compared to pre-COVID19 times.
We wish we could go to the office, get tasks done, and get some relief from kids, but it isn't possible.

We've managed fine so far, but there are other parents who are stay-at-home and can't hack this. As I type this, my wife is on a parents-only video conference with the class teacher to iron out issues. This is end of week 2 of online schooling, technically week 3 since the first week was a trial online learning week. We have until May 1, at least for this situation, and it might go to end of May if schools don't open (District School Superintendent hinted this in a local NPR station interview).

I feel for those parents stuck at home as full-time employees AND being caregivers AND being educators. There's no respite in the short-term. I am one of them, I'm digging in and staying the course. This too shall pass.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:26:34 PM by jinga nation »

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 02:30:27 PM »
The longer I live the Moustachian lifestyle, the more it just seems normal, and I occasionally forget that the rest of the world doesn't live the same way. This has occasionally caused some moments of confusion.

When have you heard something, and suddenly (or, even better, after an amusing comedy of errors) remembered that you're the unusual one, and the other party is actually pretty normal in our current society?

A few years ago I was having brunch at my house with several women work friends/colleagues.  Somehow the conversation turned to either grocery buying or credit cards (I don't remember which) and I said I put my groceries on my credit card (side note: we put almost EVERYTHING on our credit card and of course pay it off every month).  My friends/colleagues were HORRIFIED that I put my groceries on the credit card.  I could not understand why they were horrified.  Quite some time after they left, I realized that none of them must pay off their CC every month.  And then I realized they all think I'm stupid because I'm paying 24% interest (or whatever it is) on my groceries!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »
The longer I live the Moustachian lifestyle, the more it just seems normal, and I occasionally forget that the rest of the world doesn't live the same way. This has occasionally caused some moments of confusion.

A few years ago I was having brunch at my house with several women work friends/colleagues.  Somehow the conversation turned to either grocery buying or credit cards (I don't remember which) and I said I put my groceries on my credit card (side note: we put almost EVERYTHING on our credit card and of course pay it off every month).  My friends/colleagues were HORRIFIED that I put my groceries on the credit card.  I could not understand why they were horrified.  Quite some time after they left, I realized that none of them must pay off their CC every month.  And then I realized they all think I'm stupid because I'm paying 24% interest (or whatever it is) on my groceries!

Yep, I have had that exact same conversation, for the same reasons. It all makes sense when you realize most people don't pay off their CC balance so the interest rate actually matters to them. I have never in my life carried a balance, so I literally couldn't tell you what my interest rates are on any of my cards.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »

My wife and I have been made to WFH full-time during the pandemic. That's the easy part as we used to do this 1-2 days a week previously.
The hard part is that in addition to the workday, we are also surrogate substitute teachers to young K-2 kids who require supervision and focus. To add insult, the teachers are placing deadlines and grades on the homework. I have a 2nd grader sitting at the dining table and my wife has a K'er in her office room. We aren't trained to deal with kids from a teacher perspective, our spawn don't listen because mum&dad not equal to teacher, they want to play around thinking this is an extended spring break. Plus having to deal with work tasks, deadlines, etc.

My wife and I are spending less time now talking to each other on valid issues like our rental properties, investments, family members', etc. compared to pre-COVID19 times.
We wish we could go to the office, get tasks done, and get some relief from kids, but it isn't possible.

We've managed fine so far, but there are other parents who are stay-at-home and can't hack this. As I type this, my wife is on a parents-only video conference with the class teacher to iron out issues. This is end of week 2 of online schooling, technically week 3 since the first week was a trial online learning week. We have until May 1, at least for this situation, and it might go to end of May if schools don't open (District School Superintendent hinted this in a local NPR station interview).

I feel for those parents stuck at home as full-time employees AND being caregivers AND being educators. There's no respite in the short-term. I am one of them, I'm digging in and staying the course. This too shall pass.
+1
I'm not going to ashamed to admit that while I'm very lucky to be employed, adding elementary school teacher (and almost zero alone/adult time) to my full time job just plain sucks. None of my coworkers are in the same boat and I'm constantly pulled in several directions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:58:10 PM by charis »

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 07:19:23 PM »
When I shared with another guy at my CrossFit gym that I was going to buy a new pair of Reebox CrossFit shoes.  He replied...while looking at my old New Balance shoes..."yeah, you've had those for a while now".  True, but not the reason I was looking at buying new shoes.  That remark is very common.  I have been told and have heard others be told to buy a new car or coat or (fill in the blank) simply because "you've had that one for a while now".

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
When I shared with another guy at my CrossFit gym that I was going to buy a new pair of Reebox CrossFit shoes.  He replied...while looking at my old New Balance shoes..."yeah, you've had those for a while now".  True, but not the reason I was looking at buying new shoes.  That remark is very common.  I have been told and have heard others be told to buy a new car or coat or (fill in the blank) simply because "you've had that one for a while now".

At least with shoes there's the real possibility of them wearing out to a point of presenting a health hazard and not give an immediate indication that they're going in that direction.  I'm particular about my running shoes because I've developed injuries from keeping old shoes for too long.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 05:57:53 AM »

At least with shoes there's the real possibility of them wearing out to a point of presenting a health hazard and not give an immediate indication that they're going in that direction.  I'm particular about my running shoes because I've developed injuries from keeping old shoes for too long.

I kept an old pair for painting shoes - when I wore them months later to paint they felt terrible on my feet compared to the new ones.  Shoes really do wear out.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

I had the same thing happen, where someone complimented a dress I had and I said I had gotten it free through a SWAP (southern women against purchasing), which prompted a couple dirty looks. Next time I'll just say "thanks!"

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »

His cousins are vocally upset at his retirement plans and he should be concerned about coming across as offensive?

No need to sink to the level of the rudest person around.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 05:14:17 PM »

+1
I'm not going to ashamed to admit that while I'm very lucky to be employed, adding elementary school teacher (and almost zero alone/adult time) to my full time job just plain sucks. None of my coworkers are in the same boat and I'm constantly pulled in several directions.
Yup.  At least my boss and a few coworkers also have children who are in school.

Just at my level in the company...almost everyone either has:
- kids who are older (11+) (all but two)
- a spouse who does not work (all but two)
- no kids

There is nobody with my combination of a FT working spouse, two kids, one of whom is only 7 years old and will  LITERALLY spend more time arguing about doing school than it would take to do school. COME ON dude, you have 2 hours of work a day.  2 hours.  You can watch all the Pokemon shows you want after that.  I swear.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »

I'm rude? You said he was offending people by not wanting to be in the chat group.

And if you think my little comment makes me the rudest person around, you haven't spent much time in this forum.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:48 PM »

I'm rude? You said he was offending people by not wanting to be in the chat group.

And if you think my little comment makes me the rudest person around, you haven't spent much time in this forum.

Lol, they weren't calling YOU rude. They were just saying that the rude cousins don't justify a rude response.

Maybe yes, maybe no.   It all depends.

If it's out of character for them to be rude, let it go.

If it's routine for them to be rude, it's time to establish boundaries.  Those boundaries might be as gentle as

"I'll ignore it, they don't know better."
"I would appreciate it if you refrained from doing that again."
"You forgot to be polite, I expect you to do better next time."
"Be nice to me and mine or I'll show you up for the asshole you are."
"I don't want to hear from you again until you learn manners."
"Good riddance, I want nothing more to do with you."   
"Here's your restraining order.  Violate it at your peril."

Obviously, it's rarely appropriate to go to the upper end of the scale and even more rarely appropriate to leap to it.

It all depends.

What I have learned is that a repetitive, frequent pattern of INTENTIONAL rudeness is a form of willful abuse.  And no one should have to put up with that shit.   I've also learned that ignoring intentional rudeness/abuse is the functional equivalent to giving consent to further treatment like that.   "Silence implies consent" is the old maxim and it applies here.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »
On the same day

One co-worker:
Glad they extended the tax deadline, i still haven't done my 2018 taxes.  It's ok, the fees are really small.

Another:
Man just when I think I can handle my own investments this happens.  At least I've got all my money out so I'm not losing any more.

I'd like to hear when at what price he got out and what price he gets in for, if he ever does!

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »

Lol, they weren't calling YOU rude. They were just saying that the rude cousins don't justify a rude response.

Maybe yes, maybe no.   It all depends.

If it's out of character for them to be rude, let it go.

If it's routine for them to be rude, it's time to establish boundaries.  Those boundaries might be as gentle as

Obviously, it's rarely appropriate to go to the upper end of the scale and even more rarely appropriate to leap to it.

It all depends.

What I have learned is that a repetitive, frequent pattern of INTENTIONAL rudeness is a form of willful abuse.  And no one should have to put up with that shit.   I've also learned that ignoring intentional rudeness/abuse is the functional equivalent to giving consent to further treatment like that.   "Silence implies consent" is the old maxim and it applies here.

Good post!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »

I do this all the time! I went from being ashamed of this knee-jerk reaction to just letting it fly. I don't have anything to hide at this point. :)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 09:46:21 PM »

It all depends.

To the upper end of the scale I'd add:
BIFF! {batman}
POW! {batman}
BLAM! {schlockmercenary}
THOOOOM {shlockmercenary}
SKOOM {schlockmercenary}

Just to be clear, I'll reiterate Swordguy's advice: "Obviously, it's rarely appropriate to go to the upper end of the scale and even more rarely appropriate to leap to it."

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 12:45:39 PM »
And then I realized they all think I'm stupid because I'm paying 24% interest (or whatever it is) on my groceries!

As opposed to paying 24% for a fancy purse or shoes?

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

Some people need offending over and over.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »

Some people need offending over and over.
I'd argue nearly everyone needs offending at least once in a while.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »

I do this all the time! I went from being ashamed of this knee-jerk reaction to just letting it fly. I don't have anything to hide at this point. :)
What I have to hide from these shaming idiots is my Total Net Worth. That would make them cry indeed. They'd say it isn't fair, that it's impossible, blah x 3. Meanwhile, I'm LMAO all the way to the [virtual] bank.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »
Holidays in the sun.

This x1000!!

We are pretty grey in my locale, and after dragging through clouds from October to April, (with a few clear days here and there when it gets to -20C) a week in warm sun is life-giving, and I don't care what I'm doing!!

It snowed today. =(

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
In my industry we get the Friday after Thanksgiving off as well as the entire period from December 24 through January 1.

Awhile ago a coworker asks if it’s possible to have enough ETO (combined vacation plus sick leave) to take the whole period between Thanksgiving and Christmas break off. I said “Sure, it’s easy, all you have to do is accrue the 160 hours or so to cover that time. You can have up to 256 hours* on the books, so it’s just a matter of saving up.”

*[This was directed at the particular coworker, the balance you can have depends on how long you’ve been with the company; my cap is higher and for a while I had so much I was taking Friday afternoons off as necessary just to stay below it]

Coworker #2 says “Yeah, but we don’t all save it up like you do.”

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
A while ago a co-worker bought a new-to-him truck.  He paid cash (something like $25k for a then-four-ish-year-old truck), was going to use it for his mowing business and farm stuff (aka he did actually use it for truck stuff).  Seemed reasonable.

He has an hour long (one-way) commute and was talking about selling his ~2007 35MPG Nissan a couple months after buying the truck.   I (stupidly) said something like "Oh, so you figured out the additional insurance and carrying costs of two cars was more than the gas savings of commuting in the Nissan instead of the truck?"  And he answered "Well no, the gas is way more, but I bought the truck to drive it."

Alright, bud.  Good talk.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:47:50 PM by ketchup »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!