Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245964 times)

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
  Jeez, where to start on this? Suped up cars? Check-2 not just 1, 1967 Ford Mustangs, 4 barrel, roller cam, 4.11 axle gears, aftermarket heads, tires, rims, stereo, yada, yada.   A gazilion dollars to an emergency vet clinic for a pet? Dumb real estate- check had one rotten investment that cost me 25k and more work than I care to even think about, Tech stock crash? QQQs can go down? Huh? Hookers and blow? check, Great recession crash? check Paid people to manage my stash at a bank? (Crap that cost a stack!) check travel all across the USA, CA, Bahamas? check Drinking? Smoking? Coke?  Boats? Tournament fishing?  Rotten investments? (-100k?). check, check, check, check, check.  Take your pick.  However, the stash has never been higher than now so you live and learn I guess.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
I'd sell it, even if it was only worth $100. Why would anybody want to wear a ring around his or her finger? It's bizarre.

Also that. Rings are much more dangerous than people realize.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
* - I just saw a current version of this same phenomenon the other day.  Some kid driving a POS Toyota sedan, with a mis-matched door.  It had the fancy wheels n tires, lowered suspension, added on tall spoiler and these absolutely hideous chrome (stainless?) accent pieces all over it - chrome flames on the quarter panel, chrome gas filler door and multiple other chrome pieces.  I bet the owner is proud and his friends are impressed.
I have seriously considered starting a tumblr where people could submit pictures of cars like that and their owners. They make us owners of 20 year old rust buckets look bad.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:50 PM »
I'm a little surprised that we're 50 posts into this thread yet nobody has mentioned flying first class.

'Cause I don't fly commercial?  (Note number of pilots posting.)  If I absolutely had to go somewhere, and it couldn't be done by car, train, ship, or packing myself in a crate and calling FexEx, I'd seriously consider at least business class.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »

* - I just saw a current version of this same phenomenon the other day.  Some kid driving a POS Toyota sedan, with a mis-matched door.  It had the fancy wheels n tires, lowered suspension, added on tall spoiler and these absolutely hideous chrome (stainless?) accent pieces all over it - chrome flames on the quarter panel, chrome gas filler door and multiple other chrome pieces.  I bet the owner is proud and his friends are impressed.

I just modded my 1995 tercel... Now featuring a passenger mirror that can be adjusted from INSIDE the car :D

Seriously though, I would never spend more on accessories for a car, than the car is worth. This means that I seriously debated replacing the wipers, until I found them on sale at Costco for $8 each last week.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
I was going to sell it back to the jeweler after we went our separate ways, but given how much it's gone up in value, I'll hold onto it for now to see if a future Mrs. MooreBonds might be willing to accept it, or if she would need a different stone (hopefully not as pricey!).

A lady mustachian here....SELL IT! I wouldn't accept another woman's ring, unless it was your mother's/grandmother's heirloom that she gave to you. Plus, at a value like 33k that I'd be scared to wear it anywhere!

As for me, I was a bit into collecting some memorabilia in high school. Should have not wasted my money on that. I've tried to sell some of it, but not all of it is worth that much anymore.

I also once paid for laser hair removal. That was dumb.

Another vote to sell here. I forbade my man to spend more than $100 on an engagement ring (he got me a lovely garnet), and I'm still thoroughly pleased with the $70 plain gold band I've worn all these years. Also I hate diamonds. What if your Mustachian babe is truly frugal? Sell and invest now; there will be rings out there later if you need one.

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
My husband and I fell into the engagement ring trap. It's beautiful, but we spent far to much on it, however it was a "good deal" (as much as a diamond can be) since we got it at cost from a family friend jeweler. At that point we hadn't quite figured out the timeline for ER and it was more of a hope and dream than a concrete plan, so we had moments of living for the now such as this. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably insist on forgoing the engagement ring all together. The idea just seems kind of silly now.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
I love my engagement ring.  It's tanzenite and cost about $100.  My wedding band is plain and cost a bit, but not much, more.

So that's another vote to sell and get what you can out of it!

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
  Jeez, where to start on this? Suped up cars? Check-2 not just 1, 1967 Ford Mustangs, 4 barrel, roller cam, 4.11 axle gears, aftermarket heads, tires, rims, stereo, yada, yada.   A gazilion dollars to an emergency vet clinic for a pet? Dumb real estate- check had one rotten investment that cost me 25k and more work than I care to even think about, Tech stock crash? QQQs can go down? Huh? Hookers and blow? check, Great recession crash? check Paid people to manage my stash at a bank? (Crap that cost a stack!) check travel all across the USA, CA, Bahamas? check Drinking? Smoking? Coke?  Boats? Tournament fishing?  Rotten investments? (-100k?). check, check, check, check, check.  Take your pick.  However, the stash has never been higher than now so you live and learn I guess.

hahaha wow, you must have had a pretty wild life!! Never mind the money you spent, just be happy you came out in one piece!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
   A gazilion dollars to an emergency vet clinic for a pet?

I have done the vet thing, but I didn't list it as a mistake.  My dogs are family members and I did not hesitate when one needed chemo and the other required lots of medical attention.  I would do the same thing over again without thinking twice.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »

I have done the vet thing, but I didn't list it as a mistake.  My dogs are family members and I did not hesitate when one needed chemo and the other required lots of medical attention.  I would do the same thing over again without thinking twice.

+1  I don't care if he's a somewhat mangy looking tomcat: he's been so important to me for so many years.  I would so fork out for expensive vet care.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
Once a year for one week I go on RAGBRAI. I get silly drunk on $3 Coors. I eat $3 pie and $6 turkey legs. I don't give a shit what it costs. Its the most fun that can be had on a bike.  In the scheme of things it not that expensive but I dont even think about where my money is going for the week making it very Antimustacian.

This year the mileage looks like 56,83,49,49,52,52,63. Those four days of 52 or less are going to brutal. Why because less riding=more drinking. Oh it will be fun.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
'Cause I don't fly commercial?  (Note number of pilots posting.)  If I absolutely had to go somewhere, and it couldn't be done by car, train, ship, or packing myself in a crate and calling FexEx, I'd seriously consider at least business class.

Ever since I became a pilot there's no way I'm climbing back into a commercial airliner unless I know the guys up front and they're on my "approved" list.  My list of people I'm willing to fly with is shorter than my list of people I will NOT fly with...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
Okay, thought of one.  Stupidly I decided I had to ride the mechanical bull at a work party.  That cost me over $300, because I shattered a tooth falling off!

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »
Okay, thought of one.  Stupidly I decided I had to ride the mechanical bull at a work party.  That cost me over $300, because I shattered a tooth falling off!

haha oh no!!! What a life lesson. Note to self: stay away from mechanical bulls!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

Yikes! ha ha ha  But on another note, it would be fun to work somewhere where there were mechanical bulls at the parties.  Teacher parties are pretty tame.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »

+1  I don't care if he's a somewhat mangy looking tomcat: he's been so important to me for so many years.  I would so fork out for expensive vet care.

+2. Vet care goes in the budget, at a much higher level than we ever think we'll spend. We roll it over from year to year, too, so we can afford to do what might need to be done without it being a hit to the budget. We try to do the same for ourselves with the HSA for the same reasons.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
Too many to mention.

The latest is when we decided to rent an apartment in a 'fun' part of Beijing, rather than continue in the paid housing for the Man's job that we'd lived in our first year here. Our excuses were:

* New flat is closer to my job (technically, but commute time isn't much shorter because a subway line which we hadn't known about at the time opened near our last place)
* We can get unblocked internet at home now (impossible as previous housing was gov't owned so VPNs don't work)
* We can get out more to see friends & go to events without insanely long bike or taxi-rides (often an hour each way, not good when combined with beer consumption)
* I can easily get to the arts district now, which is a big reason I moved here
* We can cook at home - it wasn't allowed in staff apts & there was no kitchen, the flats were more like hotel rooms

Our rent in Beijing is 5200RMB/month (nearly $900US) for a one-bedroom. It's a good price for the area but not a fantastic deal considering our salaries (lowish as they're technically part-time but we augment with lots of extra work). The Man gets a 2000RMB (nearly $350) housing allowance but it's still a lot of $ we could be saving. However we are enjoying Beijing a lot more, cooking quality safe food at home, finally getting a diverse social life. Really enjoying our last year here. We'll probably sublet the place for a couple months depending on our summer plans, then return for a final semester.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
Ever since I became a pilot there's no way I'm climbing back into a commercial airliner unless I know the guys up front and they're on my "approved" list.  My list of people I'm willing to fly with is shorter than my list of people I will NOT fly with...

Oh, I have no problems with the pilots.  It's the crap I'd have to put up with before I even got on the plane, plus the conditions I'm expected to tolerate on it.  A seat far too small for comfort, with some woman changing her infant's diaper in the row ahead?  I'd be more comfortable in the FedEx box.

Some things people spend money on aren't exactly anti-Mustachian.  I'd class first/business class right up there with paying for anesthesia when you have surgery.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »

Yikes! ha ha ha  But on another note, it would be fun to work somewhere where there were mechanical bulls at the parties.  Teacher parties are pretty tame.
Food scientists, who knew we were wild?

To be fair though, teachers have to be tame, anything less than perfect and you can get fired.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »

+1 for me too.

MooreBonds

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »
While waiting for a Mrs. MooreBonds to show up, why not sell the ring now, invest the cash, and buy a new ring with the eventual proceeds? You never know when the right lady friend might show up, and anyway, you're not going to need to buy a ring ASAP. And if you're seriously looking right now, maybe try posting in the Personals section of this forum? ;)

My only reason for not having already sold it is because I bought it at the bottom of the market, a similar diamond today would cost quite a bit more - and that's at the on-line retailer. A traditional bricks-n-mortar jeweler would charge even more on top of that. More than I would ever spend, but since it's such a nice stone, figured I'd let her make the choice....

As far as posting on the forum, let's just say that I have quite a few qualities I'm looking for, and while I'm open to meeting her through any means, I'm focusing my efforts in other areas (mainly eHarmony).

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 05:14:03 AM »
My worst most unmustachian sins are sins of omission mainly ... yes, I do probably also indulge in too many shop bought coffees and lunches, but the thing that has cost me MOST is being too lazy to get around to finding good investments or even savings rates and leaving too much of my hard-earned stache lolling around on the beach at 0% instead of working for its living.

Really stupid huh?  At least all you guys' mistakes you got some fun out of!!

Anyway, I'm working on it.  Still not there...

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:36 AM »
I once acquiesced to a house guest with the munchies and drove his old jeep a quarter mile to a greasy Mexican restaurant for an unplanned dinner out.  While turning into the parking lot I hit/was hit by a cyclist.  (no one was injured, but my friend's side mirror and passenger door were dented.)  Not my worst financial mistake (obviously), but for a capsular moment of unmustachianism, I think it might be in the top.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
Great Thread!!!

I'm a former less-stachin' life I...

1- Smoked cigarettes for 9 years. Officially the dumbest thing I've ever done. *knock on wood*

2- Bought a brand new VW (fuck yea turbo engine, 17's, sunroof and stereo!) for $23k in 2002. Soon after gas prices went crazy and it drove down the price of cars. In 2004 I sold it for $11k with $7k left on the loan. Took me an additional 3+ years to pay that off.

3- Was a DJ. I look at this list and think, "thank my god(s) i didn't decide pilot!" There was still my ability to never spend <$100 any time I went to a record shop. Just the general wasteful lifestyle. I did make a deal with myself that I'd give it 3 year before giving up. I gave it 5 until I sold everything and started repairing the financial sink hole I'd found myself in.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
Once a year for one week I go on RAGBRAI. I get silly drunk on $3 Coors. I eat $3 pie and $6 turkey legs. I don't give a shit what it costs. Its the most fun that can be had on a bike.  In the scheme of things it not that expensive but I dont even think about where my money is going for the week making it very Antimustacian.

This year the mileage looks like 56,83,49,49,52,52,63. Those four days of 52 or less are going to brutal. Why because less riding=more drinking. Oh it will be fun.

RAGBRAI! I've never done it, but when I was a kid it came through my hometown and I sold lemonade and cookies for 50 cents to the riders. Fun times!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
Some things people spend money on aren't exactly anti-Mustachian.  I'd class first/business class right up there with paying for anesthesia when you have surgery.

I've rejected local anesthetic before when they would let me.  The broken bone I had set without it hurt LESS than the anesthetic they injected for my previous broken bone!  :-)  Obviously some things are too extreme to even consider rejecting it though.  Last time I had it for a dental issue (old repair that went bad and had a big infection building under it), it was basically required.  Of course, it went bad and my BP and pulse rate crashed, I hovered on the borderline of passed out, just fighting to stay awake and the Doctor got freaked out until I came back.  She asked me if I wanted to go home and try again another day.  I said that I was already numbed up and still alive, we should go for it (and it went fine after that, but she didn't give me the second round of scheduled anesthetic either).  :-)

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
Mine probably takes the cake.
In 2009 I bought a Lotus Elise.

On credit. With $1000 down. I thought, hey, I can easily afford the $700/month payment! I was 25 and stupid at the time.

I finally sold it 2 years later when I've come to my senses. My current car is a humble 2002 BMW 330ci ($10K used) and paid for in cash. 153K miles on the clock, and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off. It's stickshift of course, like all cars I've ever owned.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

I dunno, I'd buy one (used, of course) if I could figure out how to get the dogs in it with me.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
3- Was a DJ. I look at this list and think, "thank my god(s) i didn't decide pilot!" There was still my ability to never spend <$100 any time I went to a record shop. Just the general wasteful lifestyle. I did make a deal with myself that I'd give it 3 year before giving up. I gave it 5 until I sold everything and started repairing the financial sink hole I'd found myself in.

I did the DJ thing as well (even though I got my decks used) so I know exactly what you're talking about. At $10 - $20 a pop, those records really add up. The digital equipment kids are using these days sure makes it cheaper to build up a collection. Now I feel old...

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

I did the DJ thing as well (even though I got my decks used) so I know exactly what you're talking about. At $10 - $20 a pop, those records really add up. The digital equipment kids are using these days sure makes it cheaper to build up a collection. Now I feel old...

Yes, you can get more tracks and it won't fill your basement. However, digital equipment (especially that running "ticked" vinyl that plays on turntables) requires extra gear with a top of the line laptop that must be upgraded every 2-3 years minimum. I bought the first generation final scratch interface, got through one upgrade until the next needed the new 2.0 interface right as I was retiring. I was super lucky I sold the thing a couple weeks before another software update made the unit obsolete.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »

I got lucky and avoided doing that.  When the oil pump failed on my '95, I dropped it off at the shop to be checked out and drove right down to Columbus to the Lotus dealer, figuring that I might just buy an Elise instead of replacing the engine in my Eclipse.  Well, I got lucky on 2 counts.  1)  There's no possible way for me to get in and out of an Elise with the top in place (I can drive it, but I have to climb in, standing, then slide down into the seat, which obviously only works when the top is off).  2) Despite driving a mile or so with no oil pressure, there was no engine damage to my Eclipse (mechanic was surprised, he said it looked better than some of the much lower mileage and newer Evos that have come into the shop that have the same engine!).  So, ended up NOT buying an Elise nor a 4g63 engine replacement.  :-)

Monkey Master

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Monkeyism - Smart Money Management Towards Early Retirement
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
When I was 16, I started playing a collectable card game called Magic the Gathering. Seven years later, after I got my first job, I had the nostalgy of those days when I was playing that game with my best friends are started collecting those cards again.

The only thing was that their value had increased dramatically. I bought the most expensive card in the game (Beta Black Lotus for those who know) for about $1300. Yes that's right, all that money put in a piece of paper. I bought all the most valuable cards in the game as a collectionner.

Right now, I probably have about $50,000 worth in Magic cards, sitting in a drawer of my parents' house.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
Right now, I probably have about $50,000 worth in Magic cards, sitting in a drawer of my parents' house.

SELL SELL SELL! Look what happened to the value of SWCCG cards. A premiere edition Vader went for over $60 back when I was in high school in 2001, and is $12 today. If the kids move on from magic to something else or WotC runs out of ideas, your 'stache is toast.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:20:58 AM by Reepekg »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
Generally I agree, but magic has been around for two decades now. It's not like it's going anywhere fast, or a two year phenomenon like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
Generally I agree, but magic has been around for two decades now. It's not like it's going anywhere fast, or a two year phenomenon like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

Beanie Babies? These aren't markets I'd want to time, even the established ones.

(My sell sell sell may have made it sound more panicky and rushed than just the enthusiasm I meant.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:39:55 AM by Reepekg »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2013, 08:40:22 AM »

Beanie Babies? These aren't markets I'd want to time, even the established ones.

Maybe I am the most unimaginative being on the face of the planet, but the whole idea of having a fat wad of money tied up in a game or in pieces of paper would give me the shakes and make me wanna hurl.

Yes... I know... money is sort of just a game and is just little pieces of paper.  And I know it could collapse.  I just think it is a bit more widely accepted.

If it's really worth $50k, sell those bad boys.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
I chose to go to an out-of-state Engineering school with high name recognition rather than an in-state school that offered me a free ride (but didn't have an engineering program, only CS).  $80k of student loans.

But, if I didn't do that, I would have been on a completely different path in life. Wouldn't have met my wife, wouldn't have met all the great friends I still keep in contact with, and almost certainly wouldn't be living in the area I live in today.

The potential different paths in life are very interesting.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
Beanie babies lasted six years, not twenty.

If it's really worth $50k, sell those bad boys.
I don't disagree. But it's not like it's a fad that'll go away any second now. It's a game with a huge community and two demonstrated decades of staying power, though, so it's not like you need to sell them today or burn them for heat tomorrow because they're so worthless.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
I have no opinion as to whether the cards have reached their peak value or not, but I sure as hell wouldn't be keeping 50k worth of whatever "in a drawer somewhere". If you're not selling, at least consider moving them somewhere safe and with guarantees, like a safe or bank.

Monkey Master

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Monkeyism - Smart Money Management Towards Early Retirement
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
Yes selling my magic cards is definitely the plan. I just need to find the time to break them down separately and list them on eBay. They also have some 'sentimental' value and are more of a collection right now than a kid's game for me. And it's true that I delay selling them thinking their values will still hold in the medium term. But it's definitely not cash and goes against all my financial principles. I know that, I just need to let go...

So I guess I won't find any buyers on this forum? :)

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Yes selling my magic cards is definitely the plan. I just need to find the time to break them down separately and list them on eBay. They also have some 'sentimental' value and are more of a collection right now than a kid's game for me. And it's true that I delay selling them thinking their values will still hold in the medium term. But it's definitely not cash and goes against all my financial principles. I know that, I just need to let go...

Ha.  I played Magic back in the mid-90s.  I wish I still had all the cards I had.  I recently started looking around at Magic websites and such after learning that it's still pretty popular.  It was fun then.... but being a 31 married dude with a kid, I'm not so sure I'd have an easy time finding friends that share that interest :)

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
Paying for first class with cash or miles seems very unmustachian to me. It's just so much more expensive than economy...crappy food and slightly more comfortable seats for a handful of hours for hundreds of dollars (or miles worth hundreds of dollars)?

I've been upgraded to first class for free half a dozen times, and sure it's nicer than economy, but I don't know that I'd ever have enough money that I would be willing to pay that much of a price difference for it. I'd rather pay for a second economy flight somewhere else with that money.

MooreBonds

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
I chose to go to an out-of-state Engineering school with high name recognition rather than an in-state school that offered me a free ride (but didn't have an engineering program, only CS).  $80k of student loans.

But, if I didn't do that, I would have been on a completely different path in life. Wouldn't have met my wife, wouldn't have met all the great friends I still keep in contact with, and almost certainly wouldn't be living in the area I live in today.

The potential different paths in life are very interesting.

I had an offer for a half-ride to University of Miami. Ended up opting for my parents paying for a "high name recognition" school farther up the East coast. My dad offered to let me keep whatever scholarships I received, but I was drawn by the pedigree.

I also, too, often wonder "where would I be now if I had taken the scholarship?". Like you, even though I have suffered bouts of stress and have had quite a few adventures in life (good and bad), I'd likely be nowhere near where I am in life in a financial sense...but wonder where I'd be in a relationship sense (probably married, etc.)

Paying for first class with cash or miles seems very unmustachian to me. It's just so much more expensive than economy...crappy food and slightly more comfortable seats for a handful of hours for hundreds of dollars (or miles worth hundreds of dollars)?

I've been upgraded to first class for free half a dozen times, and sure it's nicer than economy, but I don't know that I'd ever have enough money that I would be willing to pay that much of a price difference for it. I'd rather pay for a second economy flight somewhere else with that money.

My yardstick is going on a cruise for the "alternative comparison".

"What? Pay $300 for a fancy meal out on the town with wine and drinks and the whole 9 yards? For $300, I could enjoy a cruise for 2 days with all tips, pretty good meals, and ports included for me and someone else!".

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Worst financial decision is split 3 ways.

1. First marriage  (the divorce was totally worth it, though)

2. Second mortgage to fund some home improvements we could have done later for cash  (just about paid off now)

3. Ridiculous amounts of student loans. (the bane of my existence)

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
Graduate school.

For an MFA.

In poetry.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
Graduate school.

For an MFA.

In poetry.

Ooph.

But I guess the real question is: did you pay for it?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »

As someone with 10+ years of earning a nice side income buying/selling/trading/playing MtG, I wanted to throw in my $0.02

1. Unless you only have a handful of really valuable cards or you think you time is worth 0 to negative money, I think you are better off dumping your collection to one of the major dealers in the industry. Everyone I have known with major collections that wanted to sell would talk about how they were gonna break it out and put them on Ebay, but they don't. It is a massive time commitment to sort, track, post, package, and ship tons and tons of listings. You basically turn yourself into a temp dealer and get eaten alive in ebay and paypal fees. If you have one of the major dealers in your area who is reputable, I would take it to them and get a quote.

2. For the sentimental piece, I would focus on the idea that putting these cards back in the magic ecosystem will be better for the people who still enjoy and love the game. There are some cards that are in incredibly high demand with very limited supply, and by giving them back to a community instead of letting them rot in your parent's house, you will make some other player or collector happy the same way you once were by obtaining a coveted piece of the power 9.

3. If you don't have a major chain in your area, you could wait for a Grand Prix to come around and get a quote on your collection from the dealers there. Here's an article with the GP schedule for the rest of 2013:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/225b

4. Know and understand that whether you sell out to a dealer or parse it out on ebay, you will not get the full value of your collection. If your collection is worth 50K, you will get some percent of that, but you are not a major dealer with a solid reputation and cannot sell everything for retail price.

5. I would move sooner rather than later. Cards get banned in key formats, reprinted, or generally go down in value more often than not. Plus, you have the added risk of having something happen to them at your parents house. I have known many a person who had exhausting battles with insurance agents trying to explain that the fire/burglary/flood destroyed 6 figures of cardboard. You do not want to go through that.

Whichever route you take, I wish you luck. If you have any questions or want better advice about selling them, feel free to PM me.

Joet

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
bought (2) brand-new uber depreciating vehicles in the 40k range [ea]
bought a house that was like 3-4x the national median as a primary residence [why u no rent!!1]
maintained a lifestyle that grows [outgrows?] earnings. currently trying to figure out how to reduce $10,500/avg monthly spending all in
multiple vacations that broke in/near around the upper 4/lower 5 digit range
Have a hobby car that I've dropped low 5-figures on

in short: probably darn near everything

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
bought (2) brand-new uber depreciating vehicles in the 40k range [ea]
bought a house that was like 3-4x the national median as a primary residence [why u no rent!!1]
maintained a lifestyle that grows [outgrows?] earnings. currently trying to figure out how to reduce $10,500/avg monthly spending all in
multiple vacations that broke in/near around the upper 4/lower 5 digit range
Have a hobby car that I've dropped low 5-figures on

in short: probably darn near everything

It looks like you live in San Jose, so I don't know that you should presume that buying "a house that was like 3-4x the national median as a primary residence" was such a bad idea. I bought a house on the peninsula for 4x the national median and was only in it for four years (during "the worst (national) housing market ever") and even after the selling costs I came out way ahead versus renting.