Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245953 times)

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
I thought this thread might be good for a laugh. So long as some time has passed, it can be fun to look back at mistakes and think "what the hell was I thinking?"

Personally, I am in my early 20s and never had enough money to do anything too crazy before becoming Mustachian, but I did buy a huge punching bag, MMA (mixed martial arts) gloves, and all that crap convinced that after watch some people fight on TV that this would be my new favorite sport/hobby. I think I used all that gear 3 times ever. It's funny what cleaning out your garage will make you remember.

Anyways, what is the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
Went to private undergraduate college and racked up crazy student loans. Young and stupid and uneducated.

As a thinking adult, I bought maybe $1500 worth of bicycle when all I needed was a $50 beater. You may have better stories, but I regret it.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
Has to be the $60k+ wedding. It was perfect, I enjoyed every second of it, and it undeniably singed my poor little 'stache.

Looking forward to reading these.

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Oh, that's an easy one - it'd be my first house. Purchased in December of 2004 in the SF bay area (east bay). 3/2 for 500k.  When it foreclosed and was auctioned in 2011, it went for 240k - and that's not because the place was trashed or anything.  I still go a bit nuts thinking about how much money / time I lost in that boondoggle - if I'd just kept renting, I'd be up by at least 200k, probably more.

Oh well - the reboot has been going swimmingly! What I don't spend on that crushing mortgage instead goes to the stache / paying down the mortgage on a much more affordable place in a much nicer neighborhood.  Totally worth trashing my credit rating to get out of the ghetto!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

candidate 1 (nominated due to it's early influence and longevity): I bought an old British sports car in 1983.  Little by little, I've rebuilt/replaced almost every component on it.  I totaled it (badly) around 1987 and (stupidly) bought it back from the insurance company and had it repaired.  I still have it and just can't peel my emotions off of it.

candidate 2: pilot's license.  It's crack. 

candidate 3: my first marriage.  Enough said.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
Saved $2000 when I was 17 and to buy myself a vintage, imported surfboard that I could only use 3 months a year. This was virtually all the money I had, and I would totally do it again.

@Spork: ha! what kind of British car are we talking here?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

1975 TR6

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

1975 TR6
You're in the clear.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
DH and I went through a traumatic event together, and were pretty seriously depressed for about 3 weeks (it took longer than that to recover, but the first 3 weeks were the worst). During that time we managed to blow money on a brand new leather couch (w/o shopping around AT ALL), and giant a$$ TV, and an Xbox 360. None of those things broke the bank or anything, but the antimustachian part was that we didn't think the purchases through, didn't shop around, didn't even discuss whether we really wanted/needed the items. We just spent money to feel better.

The biggest money wasters, however, would be our first house (now worth $40k less than we paid) and my undergrad degree (another $40k, when I don't need a degree for my line of work). But those were both calculated moves that seemed like a good idea at the time.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
I love this thread! (Especially since I just got done reading the "What's the most mustachian thing" thread) I have more than my share:

1. Buying our first house at the top of the housing bubble. 950 sq ft. We already had 2 kids and were planning on having a 3rd.  Two years after buying, we had our 3rd and the house was bursting at the seams. We sold for a $80,000 loss (including depreciation and selling fees). It still hurts me in the face when I write that number.

2. I've taken a few jobs without negotiating the salary. Beginning a new job is the time you have the most bargaining power over your salary, and each job switch the effects will compound (since your pay usually goes up when you willingly switch employers).

3. Buying a new Crate and Barrel couch. Looked great on the showroom floor. $1400 and a few years later, it looks like a frumpy CraigsList find.

4. Lifestyle inflation immediately after getting my first job. I moved into an apartment in the most expensive, hippest part of town and started drinking like a fish at trendy bars and clubs. When my old Honda Civic broke down, I bought an almost-new Prius (which I later sold for an older car). Sometimes I feel like I'm still backing down from this lifestyle inflation back to my thrifty college ways.

5. Weekend trip to London. A friend was studying abroad in London and emailed me one day "What are you doing for Thanksgiving weekend? Want to come visit?" I booked a 4-day trip to London on a whim. Once there, I ate out 3 meals a day and went to trendy, expensive clubs.

Wow, glad I got that all out of my system. This must be what going to Confession feels like.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
Bought a new truck about a year ago, and financed it with a car loan.  Next up: will be buying DW a sparkly to the tune of 5 grand for her 40th birthday in a couple of months.  But I am wealthy and can afford a rare indulgence or two.

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

Second the pilot's license. Spent all my savings ($8000) on it when I was 20 years old!

In my defense, it was going to be my career, until I realised it's actually a much worse career than programming.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »

Second the pilot's license. Spent all my savings ($8000) on it when I was 20 years old!

In my defense, it was going to be my career, until I realised it's actually a much worse career than programming.

That was my defense as well.  I love flying about like I like breathing.... but it is more than I can spend and not hate myself.

For a while there (while working on instrument rating) I was dropping $1k a month on a book with writing in it.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
I wouldn't call any of these mistakes, but things that turned into money sinks:

1) Got talked into running for the state legislature (many years ago).  Didn't win.

2) Pilot's license, and airplane.

3) The horse.

2 & 3 were worth every cent I've paid for them.  #1 was a gamble...

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
!.   Bought a 1K tennis bracelet for a gift on a credit card and paid the monthly minimum.

2.  Bought thousands of dollars worth of PVC figurines, graphic novels, art books, and anime dvds. 

3.  Went overseas on credit. 

Gah.  My misspent youth!

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 12:52:02 AM »
Bought a new car when I was still in University (in my defense it was a Civic and my down payment was over half and I payed it off way early) I liked the car but when I helped get my gf a car that served the same function for 1/4 the cost I felt kinda stupid.

At one point I owned almost 1,000 video games. Most of them were the old 8 bit Nintendo games that were a few bucks a piece but there were also more 50 and 60 dollar games than I could ever play. I sold a good chunk of them  I probably made 750-1000 bucks back but just the gas alone to drive around and find "deals" on rare games might have been more than that.

I still have the older games and still buy video games from time to time (maybe 10 a year) but I never pay full price and I always sell them back when I'm done with them.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
I financed $6000 of my first car, and then used student loan money to pay for the loan, and exceedingly high insurance costs.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 07:30:58 AM »
I bought a $30k Mini Cooper 7.5 years ago on payments. I hate the car. It's a pain to drive and has no functionality. But I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off because I'm just that pissed about my dumb decision.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
Thirded.

$40,000, went all the way: commerical, multiengine, IFR, instructor. I even got to fly business jets ... before realizing there was more money to be made in management and left the flight line for good.

Fourth on the airplanes...

ASEL, AMEL, IFR, AGI.  Planning on going ahead and getting my Commercial and my IGI since they're relatively cheap add-ons compared to what I've already dumped in (and it is super fun, for those that haven't done it, you have no idea, and I recommend you DO NOT go try it!  :-)  ).  On the plus side, I *did* come to my senses and realize that ownership is a really horrible idea for the limited hours I fly (after almost buying a quarter share of a Piper Aztec).

A close second is my racecar habit.  Racing my daily driver on the weekends and breaking it all the time just wasn't expensive enough, so I went and bought a second car.  Since I like racing both of them, both of them also have to be kept street legal since I never know which one will be broken at any given time (and, at least for now, a car is a requirement for my job).  On the plus side, they were both several years old when I bought them, so the actual purchase price for BOTH my cars is less than most people I know spend on a single new car...

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
I seriously had no idea that there were so many people who had planes as hobbies. You learn something new every day.

MooreBonds

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »
Although I make crazy sacrifices with myself in terms of spending money, my one area of relative weakness is spending on my significant other.

Have been engaged before (twice), and have learned quite a bit about relationships and basic human psychology. One area that I've grown is not being such a passive person that lets people walk all over me. My problem is that when in a relationship, you don't expect the other person to be manipulative, so when I wound up in those situations, I let love cloud my judgment and didn't fully wake up until it was almost too late.

For the second engagement, I let her push and push me to spend waaaay too much on her engagement diamond (she was demanding a $50k budget...thankfully, I managed to start to find my backbone and refused increasing the budget that much). Ended up spending $33k. The only "good" thing about the experience was that I bought it from a good on-line jeweler in March 2009, at the very bottom of the economy - which also hit the diamond industry, and I managed to buy my diamond at a pretty low price that would let me sell it back to the jeweler today at about $2k more than I paid for it.

I was going to sell it back to the jeweler after we went our separate ways, but given how much it's gone up in value, I'll hold onto it for now to see if a future Mrs. MooreBonds might be willing to accept it, or if she would need a different stone (hopefully not as pricey!).

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
I bought a $30k Mini Cooper 7.5 years ago on payments. I hate the car. It's a pain to drive and has no functionality. But I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off because I'm just that pissed about my dumb decision.

Really?  You don't like your MINI?  We have one and love it.  (Right now, the kids don't fit in the backseat very well due to car seat issues, but we made it until the younger one was 4.5 (and the older was 7) before it became an issue.  I expect it will resolve in a few years.)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
I was going to sell it back to the jeweler after we went our separate ways, but given how much it's gone up in value, I'll hold onto it for now to see if a future Mrs. MooreBonds might be willing to accept it, or if she would need a different stone (hopefully not as pricey!).

FTLOG!  Hopefully your future Mrs MooreBonds will tell you to sell that rock pronto and buy her something to go with her mustache.  Hehe. 

My least mustachian thing is probably letting my pregnancy hormones drive me over the cloth diapering cliff.  To the tune of around $1200, and guess who didn't end up cloth diapering at ALL?  That's right.  At least I recouped a lot of my costs, cloth diapers have great resale value.  Punch self in the face though.  Ugh.

My current car is probably right up there too.  At least it's paid for.  And I keep paying, and paying and paying anyway!  :/

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
I bought a brand new very fast motorcycle,  had cash from the bank and was young and dumb enough to not realize I could haggle a lot on price.   Drove it off the lot and instantly lost something around 30% of it's value.  over the next 2 years it got maybe 3 or 4,000 km total  before I sold it for half what I paid as I needed to replace the bathroom and my sense of mortality caught up with me about the same time.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »
My least mustachian thing is probably letting my pregnancy hormones drive me over the cloth diapering cliff.  To the tune of around $1200, and guess who didn't end up cloth diapering at ALL?
Holy baby crap batman! Were those silk diapers stitched with gold thread?

P.s. still keeping my eyes out for the swerving weehoo.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 04:05:38 AM »
Well where do I start? This is the thread where I make everyone feel better. My biggest mustachian sin would have to be consumption creep.  Dollar-wise  the most antimustachian thing I've done would be buying a big house  with a big mortgage just as soon as my previous mortgage was paid off.  I had worked hard  being frugal post divorce to pay it off in 5 years: using the skills of a great little Aussie frugalist called Anita Bell, who wrote "Your mortgage: How to pay it off  in 5 years by someone who did it in 3", way back in 1999. Doh! I'm such a slow learner, but I think I've got it covered now!.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »
1.  I didn't want my ex to accuse me of spending any of the child support money on me instead of the kids, so I bought them way too many toys and gadgets.  I did put a lot of that money into education accounts and therapy for our son, but I spent way too much on frivolous items for them when they were younger.  Looking back, I should have just offered to take less child support.  My daughter developed a huge sense of entitlement and I suspect all the spending I did on her was part of the problem.

2.  I don't regret it at all, but I bought an inexpensive travel trailer several provinces away because I have two months of summer vacation and detest the humid smogginess of southern Ontario in the summer.  I would probably be FI if I hadn't allowed that lifestyle inflation (costs about $4000/year for park fees, flights, and maintenance), but I love it, so it's worth it to me.  I may decide to retire there, so in a sense will recoup some of the cost that way, but definitely not mustachian.

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Great thread! I'm enjoying reading all the responses.

For me, I am going to drop my dh into it. The most antimustachian thing he has ever done was get heavily into F1 car models-you know those small 1/32 cars that cost between $200-$400 EACH!!!!!!!!! He LOVED F1 racing and watched it all the time and collected the freaking cars.

Well, the bottom dropped out and  his collection which he spent thousands on was probably worth under $100-total....sigh..but we had more money than sense then.

For me it would have to be my clothing purchases. I only shopped at Holt Renfrew, or Banana Republic and dropped about $150 for pants and the same for one freaking shirt-oh and I shopped weekly...sigh....at least I looked hot-hahaha

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
I have SUCH a long list..it'd be scary if I wrote them all. 

Current $ leaders have to be A) our existing house; I owe about $50k more than it's currently worth because I took cash out when refinancing to buy B) ten acres of land for my "dream house".  In 2006.  I couldn't give it away currently.  Those two have me at least $100k in the hole.

There are tons of other stupid things but I'm starting to stem the bleeding.  It's a good feeling.  My sense of humor about this stuff will be much improved when we get into our new house, get this one rented out, and can pay down the property mortgage!

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »
Started a business without a business plan.  All kinds of good ideas, contacts and experience, but lacked the team and time to make it profitable.  That little misadventure ate up a year of savings and any motivation I had for a side gig.  hard lesson to learn, thank goodness I pulled the pug when I did.

@hamster- I had the opposite experience with cloth dippers- got two full sets for 40$ -   which has saved us 100's in the first  months

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
I got two bachelor's degrees (spending way too long in school, using student loans), and the degree I'm not using (computer science) pays a lot better than the one I decided to use (civil engineering). I even sat around unemployed because I was worried nobody would hire me as an engineer if my current job title was "programmer." And the worst part is, following the Mustachian plan, by the time I get all my licenses and certifications it'll be time to retire!

The most antimustachian thing I'm about to do is spend about $2000 on parts to repair and upgrade my $4000 car. I'm replacing the transmission and will be spending $1000 extra to get a 6-speed from Europe instead of settling a 5-speed like it has now.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
I've got a private pilot-SEL but I did it the Mustachian way; was an AOPA employee at the time and they reimbursed for almost everything, basically all I had to pay for was the headset (which I just eBayed a couple weeks ago for a $100 loss).

I financed a used car, less than a year old, $16k+ for 6.75% interest. But the worst was buying a closed circuit rebreather for SCUBA diving. I sank about $10k into it and now it's becoming extremely difficult to sell. The training cost me another $2k including taking unpaid leave from work. If I get $3500 back from the thing I'll consider myself extremely lucky.

tod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tod LLC iPhone & iPad Apps
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »
Wow, there are a lot of pilots here. Add me to the list. I spent $19,000 to get as far as my instrument rating and 300 hours, in the hopes of it being a career. Then I realized (dimly) that if something I loved became my job I would end up hating it. I actually did it all in a fairly mustachian way. I logged a lot of time in a Tomahawk which I bought 1/2 of and then later sold at break even, so I was flying for the cost of gas for awhile. I also made a lot of friends by offering to split the cost of gas if I could fly and log the time when they had to fly to accomplish some mundane task (get a part, get gas, drop off a plane, etc). I knew a few young guys who simply bought all those hours they needed to qualify for the instrument or commercial, boring holes in the sky at $110 an hour. It was more fun to meet people and do things that needed doing.

A few years after that, still looking for meaning in my life, I spent about $10,000 on skydiving. That was actually worth it, because it was then that I realized that running around playing tag with kids made me just as happy as jumping out of airplanes, the supposed peak of all experiences. The latter activity also required me to pacify the marketplace with my labors. I'm glad I spent the money. It was tuition.

Going through all that and spending all that money and still not being satisfied is what launched me into financial independence. I had always been frugal and entrepreneurial, but I didn't have escape as my ultimate goal. I never thought I could make it, or I wouldn't want to give up the modest wants I that had. When I got involved in the most audacious thing I had always wanted to do, and saw that my happiness had not REALLY changed, then I could finally stop chasing after things.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:47:55 PM by tod »

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »
umm...when i was 18 i felt the collapse of a relationship coming on like impeding doom, so what did i do.....i booked a week long cruise to the Caribbean for the two of us and paid for it ALL using a credit card.  he broke up with me the second we got back.....and since i used to only pay the minimum it took me 4 and 1/2 years to pay that cruise off. 
jerkface, although i should have seen it coming.

sfb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »
Well I bought a new Tundra and financed it no less. The rate was 0%, but I could have taken a $2k rebate instead.  Fortunately I came to my senses, sold it, and got a used Matrix.

A close second is the $10k Disney Med. cruise I took with my ex-wife and daughter.  My only consolation is that we didn't incur credit card debt to pay for it.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
Oh geeze, I was hoping that someone would start a thread like this. 

1.  House.  We built a much too large custom log home on 4 acres an hour away from our jobs.  This also fits into the most mustachian thing because we lived in an airstream for 6 months (without water no less) and then the basement for another 6 years while we did most of the work ourselves.  Even with so much of it being DIY, the house is waaay more than people like us should have.   On the flip side, the house is spectacular with privacy, views, a hiking/biking trail out the back door, etc.  It's like being on vacation in a mountain lodge every day and that's kind of awesome, I have to admit.  Also, we have extremely cheap taxes and fantastic local services because of local legalized gambling.  We should sell it, but like the British sports car mentioned above, it has our emotions all over it. 

2.  Because of the house, we didn't have the money to have a second child.  However, at ages 40 and 46, we couldn't wait and we did it anyway.  Now we have unsecured debt.  All the more reason why we should sell the house.  Oddly enough, we actually have a net worth of over 500K in retirement funds and some home equity, so maybe that's why we haven't done it.  We're fooling ourselves!

Krank

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Well I guess Im right in the middle of the most antimustachian thing. The project started last year before I found MMM. I am currently driving an hour away to get my whole right arm tattooed. On the plus side the artist is amazing, he has been giving me one hell of a deal, and I only have one more session left. I have also spaced out the visits more and lumped in time with friends in that town. On the down side Ive spent one hellofa lot on art for my bod, and wear and tear on my car.

Kind of curious on the Mustachian feeling on tattoos.

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »

I find them VERY sexy!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »

Same as everything else IMO. If you decide, after logical deliberation, that it's something worth spending your limited resources on, then go for it.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

A lady mustachian here....SELL IT! I wouldn't accept another woman's ring, unless it was your mother's/grandmother's heirloom that she gave to you. Plus, at a value like 33k that I'd be scared to wear it anywhere!

As for me, I was a bit into collecting some memorabilia in high school. Should have not wasted my money on that. I've tried to sell some of it, but not all of it is worth that much anymore.

I also once paid for laser hair removal. That was dumb.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »

A lady mustachian here....SELL IT! I wouldn't accept another woman's ring, unless it was your mother's/grandmother's heirloom that she gave to you. Plus, at a value like 33k that I'd be scared to wear it anywhere!

As for me, I was a bit into collecting some memorabilia in high school. Should have not wasted my money on that. I've tried to sell some of it, but not all of it is worth that much anymore.

I also once paid for laser hair removal. That was dumb.

i would accept someone else's ring in a heartbeat.  but i'm not sentimental either.  i actually wear my partner's ex's bracelet.  i found it, i liked it, i wear it.  he thinks it's weird but i look at it as free jewelery.
that being said i would be afraid to wear something worth 33k too. 

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »

I'd accept someone else's ring if I liked it, it's just an object. But I'd never wear anything with a value above 1K, what if you flushed it down the toilet by accident?!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

I'd accept someone else's ring if I liked it, it's just an object. But I'd never wear anything with a value above 1K, what if you flushed it down the toilet by accident?!

Totally agree - nothing above 1K. I think I'd even feel bad with something more than $500 on my finger. I wouldn't wear another woman's engagement ring because when it was purchased it was with her in mind, not me. That right there is what is crass about it, to me anyway. To each his own, I guess.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
Not a chick, but in general I'd accept an ex's jewelry as more of a "haha, fuck you!" to the other girl.

I'm pretty competitive though.

This diamond in particular... 33k is a hell of a lot of money, and you're lucky to be able to get rid of it without a loss. I'd sell it and get something just as meaningful but less expensive when the next possible Mrs. Moorebonds comes along

YoungAndWise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »
Spending nearly my entire savings account on a 10-day Mediterranean Cruise. What I got? Not a lot of memories (kind of my fault as well though), an empty savings account, and the realization that I cruise ships, island jumping, and tours. And that I am stupid for nearly paying $400 for a painting. At least I learned that I should trust logic, and utilitarianism then emotions.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »
All that stupid shit you do between when you're 16 and 20 something to your car before you learn the ways of MMM - you know, when your car is a statement, instead of merely a lazy mans way to get from here to there.  In hindsight, my statement was "look what a dumb fuck I am for wasting all this money on a POS car".  Of course, the typical knuckle headed kid would view the statement as something else entirely, but that's what helps to define the stupidity of youth. 

I did much of it - new rims, new tires, rebuilt the engine with performance parts, 4 barrel carb, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Stupid shit, all of it*.  I can't stand to think where I would be were I to have been smart enough back then (note, mid 80's to early 90's time frame) to have sunk the money** into, oh, I don't know, Microsoft.....(and then, of course, be smart enough to have bailed in January 2000 and gone all in on treasuries). 

** - Lucky for me my stupidity was only moderate - on the order of a couple grand.  However with the time value of money, it would be a shit pot more than that today.

* - I just saw a current version of this same phenomenon the other day.  Some kid driving a POS Toyota sedan, with a mis-matched door.  It had the fancy wheels n tires, lowered suspension, added on tall spoiler and these absolutely hideous chrome (stainless?) accent pieces all over it - chrome flames on the quarter panel, chrome gas filler door and multiple other chrome pieces.  I bet the owner is proud and his friends are impressed.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
I spent a fair amount making modifications to an old car a few years ago. It was a pain when it came time to sell it and I definitely learned my lesson there, but I don't consider it a total waste. It was valuable experience in fixing things and working on cars that has saved me money a few times over hiring a mechanic. It just depends on whether you do the work yourself or pay someone else to do it (frequently the case with fancy tires & rims, unless you mount and balance them yourself)

tod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tod LLC iPhone & iPad Apps
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

I'd sell it, even if it was only worth $100. Why would anybody want to wear a ring around his or her finger? It's bizarre.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:13 PM »

While waiting for a Mrs. MooreBonds to show up, why not sell the ring now, invest the cash, and buy a new ring with the eventual proceeds? You never know when the right lady friend might show up, and anyway, you're not going to need to buy a ring ASAP. And if you're seriously looking right now, maybe try posting in the Personals section of this forum? ;)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
I'm a little surprised that we're 50 posts into this thread yet nobody has mentioned flying first class.  There's been first marriage, first home, and first car... but not first-class accommodations.  Is that because first class is considered essential for long-distance travel, or because we don't place a high value on frequent-flyer miles?

When I'm on a 8-10 hour flight to the interior Mainland, first class makes a huge difference over coach.

While I'm at it, I'll mention that the Hertz Gold Membership for rental cars also makes a huge difference over standing in line at the rental counter after a redeye flight-- and then getting beaten about the head & shoulders upsold on useless "features".

You can probably guess that I feel the same way about early check-in at hotels...

I'd sell it, even if it was only worth $100. Why would anybody want to wear a ring around his or her finger? It's bizarre.
It keeps the hot chicks from pestering me when I'm trying to have a quiet contemplative evening at a local watering hole.

But seriously, I've received three rings from my mother that (together) have been appraised at nearly five figures.  I won't wear them, of course, and our daughter doesn't want the responsibility/hassle.  (One of them could make a nice engagement ring someday, not that the subject has come up.)  So my spouse has worn one of them a few times and then... put them away.  It's another one of those sentimental assets that happens to have some financial value but just ends up being a burden dumped onto your kids.