Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245992 times)

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #550 on: March 10, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
Bought myself brand new skis and boots. Last year, my first year out of college and with a real job, and decided I had to have them. Spent about $1.5K total, but to think that could have completely eliminated one of my loans drives me crazy.

You can bet I'll be using those skis for the rest of forever to get value from them!

Other than that, maybe spending 3 months abroad in Spain? Cost quite a bit of money that I am now paying for via student loans, but it was an amazing semester and I don't regret it one bit.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #551 on: March 10, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
In college, I bought an old Dodge Durango to drive to and from hockey...not a very Mustachian vehicle. Hard to justify the 15 GPM fuel economy (oops...MPG ;-) ) In its defense, I did find myself driving in the snow fairly often (upstate NY, after all), and that thing was pretty much on rails unless I wanted to do donuts ;-)

Also, in my pre-MMM days I spent waaaay too much at bars and restaurants. In the year before I discovered MMM and started the journey, I tallied up my spreadsheet to find that my Bar/Restaurant tab for the year was...wait for it...$5k. It hurts to even type that.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #552 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
15 GPM fuel economy (oops...MPG ;-) )

It's not *that* hard to make a 15 MPG vehicle to go 15 GPM. Okay, may be a little bit hard. Just couldn't resist. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
Gotta tell on myself.  Just ordered a $4530 custom saddle.  Tried to save $1300 by ordered ng directly from the UK but no dice.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2015, 06:15:28 PM »
Well for me i had just started my first real job out of university.  I figured i'd buy a nice suit  - you know the whole dress to impress thing - so i went out and bought a $750 Lipson (sp?) - this was back in 1996.  I think I wore it a grand total of two times.  I hate suits.

Also, right around the same time I figured I must have a home entertainment system.  I brought a relatively crappy Panasonic one for about $650.  I did end up keeping it for about 10 years but really was a waste of $.   I had buddies who spent 5 grand on that kind of stuff so not too bad i guess.  Nowadays of course i realize a system like that is a complete waste of $

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: March 24, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »
I turned 30 and bought a Corvette.  To "fix it up".  Total waste of money.  I loved that car.  I'd do it again (If I were 30 again) but I wouldn't do it now.  I'm a firm believer is saving (like a hoarder) but I've never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch.

Don't wait until you get old to live but, save enough so you can live when you get old :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
Well for me i had just started my first real job out of university.  I figured i'd buy a nice suit  - you know the whole dress to impress thing - so i went out and bought a $750 Lipson (sp?) - this was back in 1996.  I think I wore it a grand total of two times.  I hate suits.
BAAAAHAHAHAHA
Wow... after 9 years in corporate/fed offices, mostly in business attire, I don't think I've spent $750 yet. I have two $99 sport coats and a few $20 shirts, but otherwise, it's all from thrift stores. I always viewed spending on work as a waste of the hours that paid for it, so bottom dollar wins, and not once has it been an issue.
I actually love dressing up, just not spending money on it, and it's amazing what people give away in good condition. My favorite suits were used or randomly appropriated (e.g., rented a room and it was left behind).
Plenty of my coworkers, however, drop at least that much annually on their work clothes. High-end shoes and $50-100 shirts are common, and I'm sure the suits are up there too. I just can't see loving my job enough to pay for the privilege of working longer before retiring.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
I once came home from a six-month deployment and spent an entire month on leave being lonely and drunk, and during that time I got emotionally involved... with a stripper.
I gave away about $1100 in my first night at that place, and a couple grand more over the next two months. I also gave her $500 that she was short for a boob job. If you add up all the shopping, drinks and other shit, and gas driving back and forth (it was New Orleans and I lived 100 miles away), I'm sure I wasted at least five grand on that bitch.
She wasn't even that hot, to be honest, and I wasn't banging her. (thank god, right?) And in retrospect, it would have been obvious to any casual observer that she wasn't really into me, just getting off on the money and the attention.
Live and learn, they say.
*facepunches self*

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »
Zephyr - Don't blame the stripper, she was just doing her job, and very well too!   :D

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
Cashed out on about $5k on vested stocks from the first company I worked for after leaving and after they got bought out and went public. I treated my family to a nice meal at a seafood restaurant in San Diego and then I went and spent that five-grand on a new custom-built acoustic guitar that I thought would blow the roof off and outmatch all my buddies' guitars. I ended up trading (down) the guitar for another guitar less than a year later. And then a couple trades later, the guitar I have now as a result of all that is probably worth half but sounds better than the custom-built I had made. Such a huge waste of money.
In the first place, my GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is completely Anti-Mustachian. And I'd even argue that guitar building can get to be somewhat Anti-Mustachian too (if you all were to tell me to build my own guitar, which I've tried and failed at). LOL I'm not even that good of a player. So me even being *interested* in guitars is pretty Anti-Mustachian at this point.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #560 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:38 AM »
Cashed out on about $5k on vested stocks from the first company I worked for after leaving and after they got bought out and went public. I treated my family to a nice meal at a seafood restaurant in San Diego and then I went and spent that five-grand on a new custom-built acoustic guitar that I thought would blow the roof off and outmatch all my buddies' guitars. I ended up trading (down) the guitar for another guitar less than a year later. And then a couple trades later, the guitar I have now as a result of all that is probably worth half but sounds better than the custom-built I had made. Such a huge waste of money.
In the first place, my GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is completely Anti-Mustachian. And I'd even argue that guitar building can get to be somewhat Anti-Mustachian too (if you all were to tell me to build my own guitar, which I've tried and failed at). LOL I'm not even that good of a player. So me even being *interested* in guitars is pretty Anti-Mustachian at this point.

Even building a guitar can be pretty expensive.  My uncle has recently become an apprentice guitar-maker since retiring, and they have to sell them for thousands of dollars just to make any money.

That reminds me of my first realization of my husband's previous anti-mustachian ways:  When we were in college, about a week after we first met, he shows up sporting a shiny new acoustic guitar.  He tells me how it "only" cost him $500.  I furrow my brow, genuinely puzzled, and ask, "But what was wrong with your old guitar?"

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »

Even building a guitar can be pretty expensive.  My uncle has recently become an apprentice guitar-maker since retiring, and they have to sell them for thousands of dollars just to make any money.

That reminds me of my first realization of my husband's previous anti-mustachian ways:  When we were in college, about a week after we first met, he shows up sporting a shiny new acoustic guitar.  He tells me how it "only" cost him $500.  I furrow my brow, genuinely puzzled, and ask, "But what was wrong with your old guitar?"

Guitars are super seductive to us players... I was recently in a music shop for picks and almost walked out of there with a $300 used 7-string.  I don't need a 7 string, but it took a lot of willpower not to buy it.  It was a great deal, and in really good condition. Pre-mustachian me wouldn't have batted an eye and would have whipped out the credit card and charged that sucker.  When I got home I looked at my 4 other guitars (and I've cut back a bit.. used to have 7) and was relieved I didn't succumb.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #562 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »
I would criticize about the guitars, but I have the same problem with sewing machines.  It's hard to just stick with the one I have, especially since it's glitchy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #563 on: March 26, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Zephyr - Don't blame the stripper, she was just doing her job, and very well too!   :D
True enough. She was awful with money though. She didn't bother to pretend it was putting her through college or whatever... she just blew it in every stupid way you can imagine, barely kept up with necessities on six figures.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: March 26, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
Guitars are super seductive to us players... I was recently in a music shop for picks and almost walked out of there with a $300 used 7-string.  I don't need a 7 string, but it took a lot of willpower not to buy it.  It was a great deal, and in really good condition. Pre-mustachian me wouldn't have batted an eye and would have whipped out the credit card and charged that sucker.  When I got home I looked at my 4 other guitars (and I've cut back a bit.. used to have 7) and was relieved I didn't succumb.
I had that bug bad for a while. At one point I bought an ESP Jeff Hannemann signature model for around 3k. I finally talked myself into selling it sometime last year, basically broke even and invested the money. I've also bought and sold several others that looked cool but didn't feel good in my hands, and deserved better homes.
I keep the same $300 acoustic I've had for about ten years, and two electrics: the beat-up Schecter C1XXX that I played in Iraq, and a Richard Kruspe LTD RZK1 that one of my best friends left to me when he killed himself. The first is definitely not valuable; the second may be, but I'd starve before I'd sell it.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #565 on: March 26, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »
I had that bug bad for a while. At one point I bought an ESP Jeff Hannemann signature model for around 3k. I finally talked myself into selling it sometime last year, basically broke even and invested the money. I've also bought and sold several others that looked cool but didn't feel good in my hands, and deserved better homes.
I keep the same $300 acoustic I've had for about ten years, and two electrics: the beat-up Schecter C1XXX that I played in Iraq, and a Richard Kruspe LTD RZK1 that one of my best friends left to me when he killed himself. The first is definitely not valuable; the second may be, but I'd starve before I'd sell it.

I've managed to avoid paying a lot for a guitar. There's pretty much no upper limit.  I've got a $350 acoustic that was a gift from my parents, a Squier Classic Vibe Strat and Tele, and an Ibanez RG870QMZ-BI that's my main baby. Got a really good deal on it, and it was the first one I'd saved up before buying, so that also makes it feel somewhat more special. 

I don't have a huge emotional attachment to any of them, though, so I could sell any if I need to.  I just don't need to.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: March 26, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
Best cure for GAS...
"I'd kick way more ass if I had more time to practise and jam with different people and the only way I will get more time is through FI" works every single time.
I play bass and have a yamaha pacifica ($200 off a friend) and a 1972 fender musicmaster ($550 off a friend of a friend). I also have a vintage Italian hollow body (free off a friend who was moving away and I helped him with prepping for the move). I still lust over a fender jazz bass, but I know I really have more than enough for playing shows etc. I just saw a guy tear it up on a pacifica the other day and was like "yup, you have all you need to kick ass!"

surfhb

« Reply #567 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
I wish I had the money spent on cigarettes, booze and expensive dinners back at 6% in my accounts.     Id be close to FIRE  :(

Oh well.....live and learn

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:25 AM »
Best cure for GAS...
"I'd kick way more ass if I had more time to practise and jam with different people and the only way I will get more time is through FI" works every single time.
I play bass and have a yamaha pacifica ($200 off a friend) and a 1972 fender musicmaster ($550 off a friend of a friend). I also have a vintage Italian hollow body (free off a friend who was moving away and I helped him with prepping for the move). I still lust over a fender jazz bass, but I know I really have more than enough for playing shows etc. I just saw a guy tear it up on a pacifica the other day and was like "yup, you have all you need to kick ass!"

That's a great way to look at it Melody!  I'll have to remember that next time a guitar calls to me seductively. As long as you have an instrument that's playable enough you don't have to fight with it, you have what you need to make music.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
I just saw a guy tear it up on a pacifica the other day and was like "yup, you have all you need to kick ass!"

I go through the same thing with bicycles. I went mountain biking last year with some guys from a local shop, and they all have gorgeous multi-thousand dollar custom bikes. I felt like kind of a schlub with my bog-standard bike, but I'm just not an experienced enough rider at this point to benefit from something better. The equipment isn't the bottleneck, my skill is.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:28 AM »
I just saw a guy tear it up on a pacifica the other day and was like "yup, you have all you need to kick ass!"

I go through the same thing with bicycles. I went mountain biking last year with some guys from a local shop, and they all have gorgeous multi-thousand dollar custom bikes. I felt like kind of a schlub with my bog-standard bike, but I'm just not an experienced enough rider at this point to benefit from something better. The equipment isn't the bottleneck, my skill is.
I've had some incredibly great trail rides on a crappy undersized hardtail mountain bike, 30 minutes after collecting it from a thrift store and slapping a tire patch and some WD-40 on it. When it comes to bikes, your description of the bottleneck really applies to the vast majority of people.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »

I've had some incredibly great trail rides on a crappy undersized hardtail mountain bike, 30 minutes after collecting it from a thrift store and slapping a tire patch and some WD-40 on it. When it comes to bikes, your description of the bottleneck really applies to the vast majority of people.

Totally agree, although I imagine that if you ride long time it's worth it to upgrade for comfort rather than performance.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »

I heard a story a few years back - Maybe an old guitar teacher trying to convince me not to upgrade yet? Read it online? Honestly can't remember. Anyways, whoever told it had been in a bar, listening to some band play. Lead guitarist was playing an old junky guitar and sounded miserable. Turns out Randy Rhoads was in the audience, and at some point he accepts the band's invitation to play with them- Guitarist hands him this POS, and he made the damn thing sing. Whoever was telling the story said it was the moment he realized that the guitar itself is never as important as the skill of the person playing it.

I've had a few anti-mustachian guitar purchases, of course, but now that I've trimmed the collection down to a nice-enough Martin and a half-decent Les Paul, why even bother tempting myself by walking into guitar stores anymore? Buy my strings/picks/etc online, so there's no need to set foot in those dens of lust and fuel the GAS.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
Totally agree, although I imagine that if you ride long time it's worth it to upgrade for comfort rather than performance.
My Walmart GMC road bike sports a nice Bontrager saddle that I transferred from one project bike to the next for years and will ride until it falls apart beneath me.
I think I got it used on eBay, but I honestly can't even remember now.
Most of the other parts aren't all that vital to comfort. Good bar tape goes a long way. Otherwise it's mostly about fit, as opposed to pricey components.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #574 on: April 06, 2015, 07:06:01 AM »
GAS - oh yes.  I now own three spinning wheels - and unless I need an electronic one when I am old and can't treadle, my Lendrum is my last.  My first one I can't/won't sell for sentimental reasons, I held on to it all through my (now-defunct) marriage over DH's comments that I would never use it, it is my confirmation that I did have some back bone then.  Plus it is easy to take to spinning demos.  The second I might sell, it is really neat and an unusual design, but no real reason to hold on to it now.

Mandolin - now that it is properly set up and in tune, no need to trade up.  As others have said, it is me that needs to upgrade (i.e. practice, practice) not the instrument.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »

I disagree with this, and would just say you did it poorly. Including my dad and my brother, since some of them have changed hands between us multiple times (I know my dad owes me $1,900, my brother owes my dad $700, and I owe my brother $200 and a Strat that I haven't given him yet, but he owes me a 12 string in trade for a guitar that he already sold), we've owned over 70 guitars over the past 10 years. Currently we own about 20 (3 are for sale). Taking out our current stock, we're probably down about $1,000 total. Not bad for a 10 year hobby for 3 people. Including our current stock, if we were to sell out today and being conservative with the values, we're up about $10,000--take out the ringer in there, we're up about $2,000.

I view them kind of as a poor performing bond, but a lot more fun.

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone interested in a Gibson B-25, Guild F-20, or a Martin D28?

Mrs. Iceland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #576 on: April 06, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
In 2005 I did travel to New York - and nearly bought the whole city - because, I quote "It is so cheep it would be looooosing money not to buy this.."

I came home with 4 suite cases - there off 2 new - full of loads and loads of crap. I dont think I managed to use half of it before it ended up in the Red Cross...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #577 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
In 2005 I did travel to New York - and nearly bought the whole city - because, I quote "It is so cheep it would be looooosing money not to buy this.."

I came home with 4 suite cases - there off 2 new - full of loads and loads of crap. I dont think I managed to use half of it before it ended up in the Red Cross...
I still have a closet full of Chinatown ties that I wear to work regularly. Not even Walmart can touch those prices. 4 or even 5 for $20 or less... and usually good quality. They're all over 4 years old and mostly look like new.

mabinogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #578 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
1) I got a full-tuition scholarship to college, so I should have been able to graduate debt-free. Instead I took out loans to cover living costs, study abroad, and a 2-month post-graduation hike on the PCT and graduated with $24k in student loans (just paid off the last of it last fall!).

2) Quit my good paying job, at which I was getting 10% raises every year, to go back to grad school. Got paid (a pittance - less than enough to live on if not for hubby's salary) to go to school, but then became a SAHM, so not using that degree at all. Should've worked for three more years instead.

3) Bought a new VW Jetta TDI last fall when we moved out of the city with no money down (low-interest, but still). No intention to sell it because we love it, and torn on whether to accelerate paying it off.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #579 on: April 06, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Put 100% of my 401k money and new deposits in a "Stable Value Fund" earning 1%/quarter in March 2009 because "Those thieving bastards aren't getting any more of my money."

Came out from under my rock in Jan. 2014 after reading that the market was up like 250% since March 2009... "I think I just fucked myself..."

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #580 on: April 06, 2015, 11:22:03 PM »
I lit a cigarette when I was 13 years old and didn't put it out until 25 years later.

Conservative estimates put my monetary loss at least at $37,000 pre-interest. This doesn't even figure in any future health problems and the attendant costs that may still occur. (No current health problems, touch wood.)

And the time loss, that really astounded me when I figured it out. Since I have never smoked inside my house, I have spent countless wasted hours sitting on one porch or another. General estimate is over 18,000 hours spent smoking. That's 750 days, or just over two years, of my life wasted.

Scotch & CPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #581 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »

I disagree with this, and would just say you did it poorly. Including my dad and my brother, since some of them have changed hands between us multiple times (I know my dad owes me $1,900, my brother owes my dad $700, and I owe my brother $200 and a Strat that I haven't given him yet, but he owes me a 12 string in trade for a guitar that he already sold), we've owned over 70 guitars over the past 10 years. Currently we own about 20 (3 are for sale). Taking out our current stock, we're probably down about $1,000 total. Not bad for a 10 year hobby for 3 people. Including our current stock, if we were to sell out today and being conservative with the values, we're up about $10,000--take out the ringer in there, we're up about $2,000.

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone interested in a Gibson B-25, Guild F-20, or a Martin D28?

Depends on how mustachian of a deal the D-28 is? I sold my Martin D-16 RGT a few years ago, and I quite miss the Martin tone.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #582 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »

Depends on how mustachian of a deal the D-28 is? I sold my Martin D-16 RGT a few years ago, and I quite miss the Martin tone.

Fair deal, not a great deal. 1974, fair condition (excellent playing condition), may will need a neck reset in the next 5 years. Was thinking $1,300, but I'm not in a hurry to sell it and I haven't actually looked at ebay recently to see what it is worth.

warehouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #583 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
I spent $750 on a meet and greet with my favorite musician. (the $750 went to a charity and I got to write off $650 of it). We hugged. It was awesome. I would NEVER spend that money now.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #584 on: April 08, 2015, 06:48:36 AM »
I bought a $20k watch.  Every day I wear it I get pleasure out of it. Oo

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #585 on: April 20, 2015, 05:54:15 AM »
GAS - oh yes.  I now own three spinning wheels - and unless I need an electronic one when I am old and can't treadle, my Lendrum is my last.  My first one I can't/won't sell for sentimental reasons, I held on to it all through my (now-defunct) marriage over DH's comments that I would never use it, it is my confirmation that I did have some back bone then.  Plus it is easy to take to spinning demos.  The second I might sell, it is really neat and an unusual design, but no real reason to hold on to it now.

A fellow spinner! What's the second wheel?

I've offloaded my Lendrum and will probably do the same with my electric, but I have a Canadian Production Wheel that runs beautifully, and I plan to keep it for life. I don't spin much anymore (too much of a project knitter to "waste" the time when I work fulltime), but I find that as soon as I have substantial free time, my fingers start itching, so my guess is that my retirement will be full of spinning.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »

I haven't read any of the responses yet, but my most Antimustachian act was marrying my soon to be ex husband.

I wasn't good with money through out college, but once I graduated, I started gaining some ground.  Started paying off $10K of credit card debt I wreck up while in college.  Set my student loans on auto pay at 2.5 times my monthly payment.  Had a small savings accounts.  Started an Roth IRA account. 

Few years later I met my husband.  It's been 16 years and I truly feel that there hasn't been a single smart financial decision made between two of us in that entire time.  Every so often I would "wake up" and get angry and pay off credit cards and try to get some savings going, but it wouldn't last long with him pulling the other way and me getting tired of fighting the losing battle.  So usually, once I paid off all credit cards and we were back to zero, I'd give up and it would start a low slide backwards.

In August 2013, we had $163 (that's dollars, no zeros there) in the bank, $6K on credit cards, and were planning a $3K vacation.  I got so mad (mostly at myself) and after we came back from that vacation (I know, you don't have to say it) I set out to pay off all credit cards. 

By January 2014 we had $3K in the bank account and zero credit card debt. 

At that point it was clear that we are going to divorce.  But with zero financial cushion it wasn't possible.

To fix this, I had to basically go through the process of losing every last shred of respect for him.  I opened a separate bank account in my name only and started stashing there every penny I could get my hands on.  I put him on allowance and questioned every single transaction that came through our joint bank account.  I took away his credit cards and was monitoring his credit history and all his credit card online statements religiously.  It got to the point where I was checking bank account and about 7 credit cards multiple times per day and txting him and questioning about every $6 charge from 7-Eleven as soon as they appeared.  It was maddening, but I was a woman on a mission.  I wanted a divorce and I was going to have at least couple pennies to rub together when that happens. 

I am all set to move out with my kids in July as soon as school ends in late June.  We are going through divorce mediation and should have everything signed before I move out. 

That bank account I opened in my name only right now has $50,000 in it (so $25,000 for each of us).  There is another $7,000 in our joint bank account to cover mediation costs and kids' summer camp.

I would not recommend this to anybody.  I have zero respect left for this man, who, even now while marveling at how much money we (I!!!) was able to save is talks about wanting to get a new MacBook while having perfectly working laptop.

And before anybody asks, yes he knew about the account and that we are getting divorced. I was very open and vocal about it. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »

I haven't read any of the responses yet, but my most Antimustachian act was marrying my soon to be ex husband.

I wasn't good with money through out college, but once I graduated, I started gaining some ground.  Started paying off $10K of credit card debt I wreck up while in college.  Set my student loans on auto pay at 2.5 times my monthly payment.  Had a small savings accounts.  Started an Roth IRA account. 

Few years later I met my husband.  It's been 16 years and I truly feel that there hasn't been a single smart financial decision made between two of us in that entire time.  Every so often I would "wake up" and get angry and pay off credit cards and try to get some savings going, but it wouldn't last long with him pulling the other way and me getting tired of fighting the losing battle.  So usually, once I paid off all credit cards and we were back to zero, I'd give up and it would start a low slide backwards.

In August 2013, we had $163 (that's dollars, no zeros there) in the bank, $6K on credit cards, and were planning a $3K vacation.  I got so mad (mostly at myself) and after we came back from that vacation (I know, you don't have to say it) I set out to pay off all credit cards. 

By January 2014 we had $3K in the bank account and zero credit card debt. 

At that point it was clear that we are going to divorce.  But with zero financial cushion it wasn't possible.

To fix this, I had to basically go through the process of losing every last shred of respect for him.  I opened a separate bank account in my name only and started stashing there every penny I could get my hands on.  I put him on allowance and questioned every single transaction that came through our joint bank account.  I took away his credit cards and was monitoring his credit history and all his credit card online statements religiously.  It got to the point where I was checking bank account and about 7 credit cards multiple times per day and txting him and questioning about every $6 charge from 7-Eleven as soon as they appeared.  It was maddening, but I was a woman on a mission.  I wanted a divorce and I was going to have at least couple pennies to rub together when that happens. 

I am all set to move out with my kids in July as soon as school ends in late June.  We are going through divorce mediation and should have everything signed before I move out. 

That bank account I opened in my name only right now has $50,000 in it (so $25,000 for each of us).  There is another $7,000 in our joint bank account to cover mediation costs and kids' summer camp.

I would not recommend this to anybody.  I have zero respect left for this man, who, even now while marveling at how much money we (I!!!) was able to save is talks about wanting to get a new MacBook while having perfectly working laptop.

And before anybody asks, yes he knew about the account and that we are getting divorced. I was very open and vocal about it.
Kudos to you for identifying a mission and achieving it.
Hopefully once you've completed this process, your progress will really take off.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #588 on: April 22, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
We're in the process of planning our most antimustachian thing right now.  My wife and I are both 38 and we are going to have a joint 40th birthday party.  We are going to dress up and hire a pirate ship to take us and 40 of our closest friends out on the Mississippi River.  They do a treasure hunt on an island and we will 'bar hop' in a couple of the river towns.  We plan on renting full theater grade outfits for ourselves and provide tons of booze and food for everybody.  There's even a cannon on the ship we can fire.  A motherfucking cannon!

All told I expect to spend waste about $2k on this party.  And no fucks will be given.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #589 on: April 22, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
We're in the process of planning our most antimustachian thing right now.  My wife and I are both 38 and we are going to have a joint 40th birthday party.  We are going to dress up and hire a pirate ship to take us and 40 of our closest friends out on the Mississippi River.  They do a treasure hunt on an island and we will 'bar hop' in a couple of the river towns.  We plan on renting full theater grade outfits for ourselves and provide tons of booze and food for everybody.  There's even a cannon on the ship we can fire.  A motherfucking cannon!

All told I expect to spend waste about $2k on this party.  And no fucks will be given.

Only 2k for all of that stuff? That's actually pretty good value!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #590 on: April 22, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »

Not gonna ARRRRRgue with that. This is an outstanding idea. I mean, how can you say no to a motherfucking cannon?!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #591 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
Happily going OT to talk wheels.

First one is a castle wheel, double drive, screw tension adjustment - made by a man in the Montreal area sometime in the 1970's.  I love it but the bobbins are small.  It has small hooks and orifice, so works well on fine yarns.  Three legs on the ground means it is stable at outdoor demos, and it looks old-fashioned.

The second one is a SpinWell (made in Sifton Manitoba during the Depression and WWII).  Mine still has its label.  Most seem to have a wooden wheel but mine is metal.  Here is one like it in a museum:  http://chace.athm.org/singleDisplay.php?kv=37077.  Also double drive, big treadle, big bobbins.  My wheel's treadle is well worn, the wheel was obviously used a lot.  The loom style (big open box holding everything) gets attention at demos, it looks very modern.

I am a slow knitter, and could probably go a year on what I have already spun, but I love the Zen of spinning.  I have donated some yarns (silent auctions, local heritage museum display).  Of course once you start spinning it is easy to get into fiber processing (rinse water from a fleece is wonderful in the garden) and dyeing.  No boredom in retirement here.

A fellow spinner! What's the second wheel?

I've offloaded my Lendrum and will probably do the same with my electric, but I have a Canadian Production Wheel that runs beautifully, and I plan to keep it for life. I don't spin much anymore (too much of a project knitter to "waste" the time when I work fulltime), but I find that as soon as I have substantial free time, my fingers start itching, so my guess is that my retirement will be full of spinning.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #592 on: April 23, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »
Family's 6 figure shopping spree in Paris.... My mint account showed something like "this month spending xx,xxx, you usually spend xxx" D'Oh!

The curse of the weak Euro.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:50:51 AM by chesebert »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #593 on: April 23, 2015, 05:35:44 AM »

Not gonna ARRRRRgue with that. This is an outstanding idea. I mean, how can you say no to a motherfucking cannon?!

In future please lead with the cannon :-)

Laura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #594 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
I went to a guru's real estate seminar and bought a real estate course that cost thousands of dollars. FML. My mom and I actually bought the course together so now whenever we mention that horrible decision in passing, we kind of end up calling it the "thing that shall not be named" lol because we both cannot believe how fucking stupid we were to fall for that sales pitch and spend so much money. It makes me cringe so badly every time I think of it. Even worse, I never took action on the things I learned in the real estate seminar. Doh!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #595 on: April 24, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »
I went to a guru's real estate seminar and bought a real estate course that cost thousands of dollars. FML. My mom and I actually bought the course together so now whenever we mention that horrible decision in passing, we kind of end up calling it the "thing that shall not be named" lol because we both cannot believe how fucking stupid we were to fall for that sales pitch and spend so much money. It makes me cringe so badly every time I think of it. Even worse, I never took action on the things I learned in the real estate seminar. Doh!
I'm glad I lucked into the free version of that, before I stepped back and realized something I'm assuming most attendees never consider:
If the get-rich-quick approach those guys sell is so effective, why aren't they out DOING IT?
The answer, of course, is that they make more money selling you the class than they do (or you will) in the market.
Don't get me wrong - there's money to be made in real estate, and I'm balls-deep in it myself, but there is no such thing as magic. A really clever huckster can make a lot of money without doing much work, but only by positioning themselves to receive rewards earned - value created, that is - by the hard work and sweat of others.
I'm currently faced with a dilemma related to one of my investments - the least Mustachian, even if well-intended, a big townhouse in a nouveau-riche neighborhood in Alabama. I thought it was a good buy at the time but I realize I was just buying a status symbol. It's not really a profitable rental and it's been sitting empty for six months due to poor management. I'm on the verge of selling but I don't have a lot of equity because I bought in on a 100% VA loan, so I'm hesitant to put effort into that.
Even with this thing dragging me down, I'm still saving $2-3K a month and (overall) making money in real estate, but I kick myself when I think about how I could own a cash-cow 4-plex or 2-3 really nice, if small, condos for what I borrowed on this place. Oh well.

Brian5000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #596 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
In the lowly depths of my previous bout of singledom and quarter life crisis, I splurged on an Audi S4 (I'm a Yuppie, what can I say) as my new commuting vehicle. Financed with a car loan. MPG: 18 City/28 Highway. Premium Gas Only. Insurance costs doubled.

It did its job in that after many months of no success, the first girl I dated while driving it became my girlfriend. And ironically this car has double the fuel economy of my previous car (an SUV).

But now it's a hugely painful expense as well as a rapidly depreciating asset. I discovered the ways of the Money Mustache only AFTER making the purchase, unfortunately.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #597 on: April 24, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
6 figure shopping spree in Paris

wait what

Did you buy a damn house??

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #598 on: April 24, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »

I've never been so jealous of another human being in all my life...

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #599 on: April 24, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »

BF and I have been talking about a joint Harry Potter themed birthday for our 30ths this year but wow, I really want the pirate cannon party! If only I lived anywhere near you, I'd be asking for the name of the company!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!