Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245952 times)

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
Most anti-mustachian thing I ever did...

Married an alcoholic who doesn't contribute to household bills beyond the occasional grocery trip.  Thereby making Rent + Utilities over 45% of my take-home pay (because I can't get a roommate who would be willing to live with that).

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Paid $8000 USD for a dog. Then sold it 6 months later because I didn't have the time for it for $1500.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Paid $8000 USD for a dog. Then sold it 6 months later because I didn't have the time for it for $1500.

What kind of dog was it? Enquiring minds want to know!

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »

What kind of dog was it? Enquiring minds want to know!

A 3 year old Dobermann. Very lovely dog but didn't make sense at all to buy such an expensive dog as I "just" wanted a companion dog. It was a very expensive dog from good bloodlines sold for show/breeding. But I was of the mindset that "I only wanted the best" at that time. At least I had the money for it. But still feel very stupid about it today.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »
Most anti-mustachian thing I ever did...

Married an alcoholic who doesn't contribute to household bills beyond the occasional grocery trip.  Thereby making Rent + Utilities over 45% of my take-home pay (because I can't get a roommate who would be willing to live with that).

Oh dear.  Have you made any moves toward improving your situation?  Because I don't offhand see any scenario in which sticking with the current dynamic helps you.  Sending good thoughts for a better future. 

purplish

• Stubble
« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »
Got into $5,000-ish worth of credit card debt after losing my job, by going out partying/going out with friends all the time.  To be fair, I did this because it kept me from spiraling down into bad depression (that happened the last time I was out of a job).  I then only made minimum payments every single month, for months on end, which REALLY sucked when I saw the amount staying exactly the same, no matter how many months I had payed :(  A lesson I hadn't realized previously because I was always so responsible with money/credit cards.  Luckily this was the only situation like this I have ever gotten into!   

looking for FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »
Oh, we did the car thing too.

Bought my husband a used Infiniti G35 last year for $23k (CASH, baby).  Cars are fun and we like to drive.  :)

I haven't done this yet but my current car is on its last legs and I think I am going to get a used G35 as well.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »
The most antimustachian thing would have to be my first sailboat.  Not completed moneysink of time and dreams.  After 3 years I sold it at a dramatic loss.  And I'd do it over again in a second (though now I'd finish the woodwork).  Some great times living on a boat in Tofino in my early 20s, I would never give them up.  It's when I discovered how to not be a moron with money too.

Second most would be my second boat.  Fewer mistakes, but all boats are moneysinks.

Third most would be my degrees.  I like them, I learned a lot, but I really should have tried working in an office for awhile before I spent 5 years at school qualifying for something that I hated.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »
Most Antimustachian thing I ever did:  I didn't consolidate my student loans when I had the chance to lock them in at a super low rate.  I was still in grad school at the time, so it would have only applied to my previous loans.  Everyone else was doing it.  It seemed complicated and hard and I was lazy.  Thus I graduated with $120,000 of student debt at 6.375% -- that would have been tens of thousands of dollars over the repayment of the debt.

It did lead to some Mustachian moments, though.  I saw my student loan was my SINGLE highest monthly bill -- higher than rent -- and that the MAJORITY of it was paying interest.  I realized mistakes can not be unmade but they can be dealt with.   I continued to live like a student, started reading financial blogs, and paid those bad boys off in 6 1/2 years. Would I have been as motivated if the interest were lower?  I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:53:05 AM by Ann »

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »
Mortgages. Got my first house financed with a shares mortgage: you BORROW money to buy a shares portfolio. So you have a mortgage for the house, and another one for the shares. Idea behind it: after 30 years, the shares will be worth more than what you owe in mortgages, you do not pay anything on the principal.This was 1997 and top of the shares market. It has taken until 3 years ago for the portfolio to be worth more than when I bought it, especially as one set of shares is still worth only half of what I bought it for.

Learned from that? Nope. Partially remortgaged to change to an insurance fund that buys shares, this time with a minimum guaranteed return. Will cover my contributions at least but no profit as I can see.

At this rate, I would have paid for a mortgage for 30 years and still be stuck with 70% of the principal outstanding. So, decided to cut through the whole mortgage issue by paying down on the principal. 100.000 euro done in 3 years, 190.000 to go of which 60.000 may be covered by shares and insurance policy. For now, I retain the shares and insurance policy to see how they develop.

Looking back, I would have gone for an old fashioned mortgage without any risk components. It was the stupidest thing ever to trust the mortgage brokers without knowing anything about shares myself.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »
Our Galapagos vacation.
We took a semi-luxury cruise.

It was wonderful, and I feel very fortunate to have been able to travel to the Galapagos, and do it so comfortably.  I wouldn't take it back.  But then I enjoyed my Mexican vacation that cost 1/5 the price just as much (and possibly more).

Scotch & CPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »
I just did the most anti-mustachian thing of my life this friday.

I bought an Omega watch for $4800.

In my defense:

1. I have been dreaming about this watch for years.
2. I had more than enough cash on hand
3. The watch will hold its value quite well, so it's not like all of the money is wasted.
4. For me it is a beautiful thing that I will treasure each day.

Now you may facepunch me bigtime.

I think I might faint.

I kind of want a Breitling watch….I am also standing-by for face-punches

HOLY SHIT - a $5k watch! Does anyone even need a watch these days given that the time is everywhere including on the phones that are superglued to most people's palms? Sorry, just saying...

Indeed, this is against all this site stands for! The point is you'll get just as much enjoyment (happiness) out of a more frugal selection (or as you mention, no selection!) Build those frugal muscles, right?

I disagree. I don't own a watch like these, but see no difference between buying one or any other piece of art.  For that matter, a car is not always a car.  Sometimes form matters more than function. This is an anti-consumerism forum on an anti-consumerism blog, and I completely agree with 90% of it..but we still have the right to live a life full of those things we value.

That said..my most unMustachian thing is still going on: I'm making payments on my Audi.  I'm saving money, planning for my future, working on killing my debt, but refuse to sell my car. I don't think owning the Audi is unMustachian, but the debt...definitely.

Hedonic adaptation, my man. You'll be just as happy with cheap shit, scientifically proven.

If you're able to afford it, and enjoy it, why not buy it? Also, Jacob from ERE admits to owning an Omega. I enjoyed his post about buying classics.

For full disclosure, I own a lovely Tag Heuer Carerra, but I'll admit that after 2 years of owning it, I'm not sure it was the best purchase. I enjoy the automatic movement and finish of the watch, but it does feel excessive to wear ~$2k on your wrist, just to tell time.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »

In my defense:

3. The watch will hold its value quite well, so it's not like all of the money is wasted.

I think I might faint.

HOLY SHIT - a $5k watch! Does anyone even need a watch these days given that the time is everywhere including on the phones that are superglued to most people's palms? Sorry, just saying...

Indeed, this is against all this site stands for! The point is you'll get just as much enjoyment (happiness) out of a more frugal selection (or as you mention, no selection!) Build those frugal muscles, right?

I disagree. I don't own a watch like these, but see no difference between buying one or any other piece of art.  For that matter, a car is not always a car.  Sometimes form matters more than function. This is an anti-consumerism forum on an anti-consumerism blog, and I completely agree with 90% of it..but we still have the right to live a life full of those things we value.

That said..my most unMustachian thing is still going on: I'm making payments on my Audi.  I'm saving money, planning for my future, working on killing my debt, but refuse to sell my car. I don't think owning the Audi is unMustachian, but the debt...definitely.

Hedonic adaptation, my man. You'll be just as happy with cheap shit, scientifically proven.

If you're able to afford it, and enjoy it, why not buy it? Also, Jacob from ERE admits to owning an Omega. I enjoyed his post about buying classics.

For full disclosure, I own a lovely Tag Heuer Carerra, but I'll admit that after 2 years of owning it, I'm not sure it was the best purchase. I enjoy the automatic movement and finish of the watch, but it does feel excessive to wear ~$2k on your wrist, just to tell time.

I smell somebody else who needs a facepunch. Shit, have you guys even READ the blog?

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
Agreed, I thought $35 for my timex was too much.    I don't get expensive watches.    They seem to exist for the sake of rich men that don't know what to spend their money on and want to impress people, just like expensive cars.    80/20 rule, you can get 80% of the results for 20% of the effort.   After that you're generally bored or addicted.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »
Mortgages. Got my first house financed with a shares mortgage: you BORROW money to buy a shares portfolio.
I didn't even know that was a thing.  Never heard of it.  Thanks for sharing.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Mortgages. Got my first house financed with a shares mortgage: you BORROW money to buy a shares portfolio.
I didn't even know that was a thing.  Never heard of it.  Thanks for sharing.
Not surprised you have not heard of it, this was in The Netherlands in the nineties. This type of mortgage is no longer allowed, which is not surprising either...

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
I bought a brand new car in 09.  Its paid off and I'm still driving it so at least I'm making up for it.

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #517 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
I bought into the myth of institutional higher education.

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:55 AM »
I bought a brand new car in 09.  Its paid off and I'm still driving it so at least I'm making up for it.
Mm, I bought a brand new car in '09, except I bought it on an 18% loan with payment insurance.

I negotiated a bank loan at 5%, and cleared the 18% loan two weeks later, but the $500 in payment insurance was gone never to return. I could've had remote central locking for that money ;)

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04:37 AM »
I graduated college in June 2010 with $16.5k in student loans, then saved just over $35k in after tax income in the first 6 months after graduating from college.

Then I proceeded to do the following:

#1 NOT pay back my student loans.

#2 Buy a used motorcycle for $4k and spend another $20k riding it for 8 months from Seattle to Argentina.

#3 Return home and make enough money to repay my student loans for a second time, but instead travel to Australia where I lived for year, but only worked 5 months. 

#4 Return home again and earn enough money to repay student loans for the THIRD time, and spend it getting married, which doubled my/our accumulated student loan debt.

I calculate the money spent on traveling, and lack of income during time spent traveling, and total lack of investment, to come to an opportunity cost just shy of $400k in those 4.5 years at 7% growth.

Now, having watched $25k-$30k come and go THREE F*$*ING times, I've grown wise. Admittedly I visited 19 countries and 23 US states, and only worked 32 of the 54months in the time span.

This week I killed 25% of the debt. Next week I'll kill another 25%, and the week after 15% more. I'm tired of this shit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:47:09 AM by bigalsmith101 »

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #520 on: January 17, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »
I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR AT 29.995% INTEREST! *MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRR* *super clippers screech loudly against dollars dying in a slaughter*

I didn't even know they could offer interest that high... I thought credit cards at ~20% was as high as it got.

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #521 on: January 17, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
I bought a used Hummer H2 on a 13.5% loan several years ago. I quickly realized it drank gas. The 37" tires were bald too. So I sold it 8 months later for $5,000 less than I bought it. At least I didn't drop another $5,000 in tires. The new owner had to buy tires. I saw him at Kal-tire a week later.

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #522 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
Spent $8000 dollars  taking the family out of the country for a fantastic vacation.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: January 17, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
I was going to sell it back to the jeweler after we went our separate ways, but given how much it's gone up in value, I'll hold onto it for now to see if a future Mrs. MooreBonds might be willing to accept it, or if she would need a different stone (hopefully not as pricey!).

A lady mustachian here....SELL IT! I wouldn't accept another woman's ring, unless it was your mother's/grandmother's heirloom that she gave to you. Plus, at a value like 33k that I'd be scared to wear it anywhere!

I second this.  I hate to stereotype women (I am one, BTW), but you are very unlikely to find a woman who would accept another woman's ring -- especially a past ex of yours!  Plus, many women would likely be somewhat offended at the suggestion. 

Sell the ring and invest the money.

Strabo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #524 on: February 25, 2015, 05:47:28 AM »
Blew 20k € I got as a windfall through work for electronics and consumer stuff three years ago.  Didn't save much aside of about automatic 200 € each month for retirement until recently. Just thinking about how much money I could have saved in the 13 years since I joined the workforce full-time hurts so much. I wish I had found this site years earlier.  I could now own a house instead of just having started downpayment savings on one. I could be 1/3 to FU/FI money.

lise

« Reply #525 on: February 25, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

I smell somebody else who needs a facepunch. Shit, have you guys even READ the blog?

Fairly new to MMM so chiming in on an old post.  I have had a Rolex for 8 years and to me it is like a piece of art/jewelry that I get to wear every day.  I shopped around and got a good price and didn't take out a loan to buy it so I don't feel any guilt at all about buying it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
Bought a fifty dollar glass of port at the end of a restaurant meal.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Bought a fifty dollar glass of port at the end of a restaurant meal.

I bought a few after-dinner glasses of Johnnie Walker Blue Label when my wife and I were on a cruise ship. Expensive, but absolutely delicious.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
When my husband and I got married at ages 19 and 20, we took $1600 with us on our honeymoon to Orlando, a combination of savings and cash gifts.  We blew it all.  It was quite a whirlwind experience, but I'm glad we developed the good sense never to do it again.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2015, 03:41:09 PM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

Fairly new to MMM so chiming in on an old post.  I have had a Rolex for 8 years and to me it is like a piece of art/jewelry that I get to wear every day.  I shopped around and got a good price and didn't take out a loan to buy it so I don't feel any guilt at all about buying it.

So, shortly after starting work, I realized I didn't know how to look professional.  So I bought a few books on the topic.  I learned a lot, and bought a whole new wardrobe on sale for like $300, and look like a million bucks. 

One of the topics in a lot of these books was on watches.  And while a $10 Casio gives accurate time, it doesn't look all that professional.  So I decided to get something nice.  So I bought a Swiss made Tissot for <$200.  I really liked it, and still do.  It should last me the rest of my life.  Maybe you can argue I spent too much on it.  But on the other hand, it's Swiss quality, but it's not Rolex name brand price, so it seems frugal to me.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
From a FIRE perspective, moving to Canada from the US and buying a house here definitely set us back. We would have paid off our house in the States long ago had we stayed, as it stands, we're looking at another 5 years of mortgage. No regrets.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

So, shortly after starting work, I realized I didn't know how to look professional.  So I bought a few books on the topic.  I learned a lot, and bought a whole new wardrobe on sale for like $300, and look like a million bucks. 

One of the topics in a lot of these books was on watches.  And while a $10 Casio gives accurate time, it doesn't look all that professional.  So I decided to get something nice.  So I bought a Swiss made Tissot for <$200.  I really liked it, and still do.  It should last me the rest of my life.  Maybe you can argue I spent too much on it.  But on the other hand, it's Swiss quality, but it's not Rolex name brand price, so it seems frugal to me.

Good call, I'd have a hard time picking apart that choice. I can see how somebody may argue about a used Rolex holding it's value pretty well, but I don't think you can get one of those for $200 if you're a fence, much less legit.

Scotch & CPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

Good call, I'd have a hard time picking apart that choice. I can see how somebody may argue about a used Rolex holding it's value pretty well, but I don't think you can get one of those for $200 if you're a fence, much less legit.
Jumping back into the conversation. If you can afford it (truly), and appreciate it for what it is, I say go for it. They last forever and hold their resale value. Most people only look at the initial cost, but the actual cost of ownership is: Initial cost - resale value. You could take a step further and look at it on a yearly basis too. But personally, the way I make the road to FI work for me, is that I choose to own less, but prefer higher quality classic items. I think Jacob from ERE dives into this topic more than MMM does, but I tend to lean towards Jacobs approach. When you do buy an item, if you go for the best quality (not necessarily the most expensive), it takes the desire to upgrade out of the equation. I'm not saying there is a need to buy a quality mechanical watch, vs, a Timex, and if I was to re-do it  today, I'm not sure I would buy my watch again, but, if I wanted to sell it, I would re-coop close to 100% of the price I paid for it (used). I've worn it every day since I bought it, so I won't fault anyone for their watch choices. Well, as long as it isn't a Movado :)

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
I bought $250 Frye boots.  But they were on sale!  And they'll last me for decades!

I've worn them about 3 times since I got them 2 years ago.  I currently have them listed on CL, but maybe eBay or something similar will be a better option...

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #534 on: February 27, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Just put a check in the mail for $300 to join the local gun club and signed myself up for $170/yr membership dues.  I hope I can come back a few years from now and say it was worth it, but right now I feel like facepunching myself. 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
We didn't max our 401ks for three last five years and instead held it in cash! Thumps head!!

We also didn't invest in company stock when it was low and now it's increased by 5 times the value.

With those two done, we'd have cut our FI date by half! Sigh

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #536 on: March 07, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
Convinced my parents to cosign a five year loan for a brand new car after my freshman year of college, and it basically just sat in the parking lot at school for 3 years (bad).  After graduation, blew my signing bonus paying off the loan (good to get rid of loan, bad because the money would have done better being invested).  After about two months, decided that car wasn't worthy of my status as a professional, and traded it at around 30K miles for a bigger, more expensive brand new car (bad).  At least I drove that one until a little over 100K miles and it started falling apart.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #537 on: March 07, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Second most would be my second boat.  Fewer mistakes, but all boats are moneysinks.

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.  I have more than a few, but the boat was the biggest one.  We paid cash for a used one, but we ended up selling it 4 years later for $11k less than we bought it for.  It was a lot of fun and we got a ton of use out of it, but to this day I can't force myself to add up the maintenance and dry dock fees. 

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #538 on: March 07, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
This thread is fascinating reading! I'm glad I'm not alone in not having been born Mustachian.

My worst was the summer after my articling year (it's like a paid apprenticeship after law school). I'd been in a long-distance relationship and went to live in Manhattan--rent-free, at least--to see if we were going to make it work in the long run. I spent everything I had on a course for the New York Bar Exam. When it became very clear, a couple weeks in, that the relationship was ending, I dropped the course (no refunds!) and spent three months of break-up fugue in the Big Apple, eating out, ordering crap online, and making no attempt to start looking for jobs.

(That said, the subsequent financial desperation led me to take a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO-GOOD job which was the immediate catalyst for my business partners and I opening our own firm a few months later, so it worked out pretty well in the end.)

LRM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #539 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
I bought $250 Frye boots.  But they were on sale!  And they'll last me for decades!

I've worn them about 3 times since I got them 2 years ago.  I currently have them listed on CL, but maybe eBay or something similar will be a better option...

I LOVE Frye boots. My mom found me a $300 pair for only $70 at Nordstrom Rack. I wore them twice in two years. Sold them on ebay for $125. I encourage you to do ebay! I set the price at $40 and got lots of entertainment from the bidding ware over them

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: March 08, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
First anti-mustachian decision. I made 2000 over the course of the summer when I was 14. I didn't know what to do with it so I spent it all on eating at the food court on the mall. Second most, freshman year of college I made 2000 over the course of the year. I didn't know what to do with it so I spent it all on clothes. Third, not getting the 401k match at my first job out of grad school. 4th, well I'm not sure its anti-mustachian as much as just regretting something in hind sight. I could've gone to my university for free had I gotten better grades. But instead I took out 100k in loans for undergrad. But it was the catalyst for me getting my shit together in life.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #541 on: March 08, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
First anti-mustachian decision. I made 2000 over the course of the summer when I was 14. I didn't know what to do with it so I spent it all on eating at the food court on the mall. Second most, freshman year of college I made 2000 over the course of the year. I didn't know what to do with it so I spent it all on clothes. Third, not getting the 401k match at my first job out of grad school. 4th, well I'm not sure its anti-mustachian as much as just regretting something in hind sight. I could've gone to my university for free had I gotten better grades. But instead I took out 100k in loans for undergrad. But it was the catalyst for me getting my shit together in life.

Dang- those are some doozies. Glad you got your "shit together" and did something about it.

Even as a teen, I was VERY careful with my money. I did the usual recreation stuff like malls, movies, and make-up but I also had to pay for my gas and 1/2 my car insurance.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #542 on: March 08, 2015, 11:36:38 AM »
We spent $30,000 on our wedding in 2006.  Best day ever but holy shit. Wasn't at all Mustachian back then. Luckily I picked well and have a lovely frugal hubby. Would do it differently now but of course that experience is behind me now. Please facepunch 2006 me that also bought a $400 pair of shoes that didn't fit properly, used to buy her lunch most days and had a gym membership that I hardly used but needed for all the after work wines I downed. Thankfully 2006 and 2014 me wouldn't even recognize each other if we met in the street.

Well said. I spent $12K on my wedding back in 1997. Even if I could, that is one day/expense I wouldn't change (except the ugly royal purple color I chose for my bridesmaids). I would, however, have gone back and FACEPUNCHED my otherwise frugal future husband who bought me a $3000 diamond engagement ring. I didn't find this out until a few months after our wedding. THAT sum could have gone towards our IRA's or down payment on our first house. I would have been equally happy with a CZ. Jewelry does nothing for me, and I give a flying fuck what people think of my ring size/carat/quality. Pshhh.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #543 on: March 08, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
First and only anti-mustachian thing: accepting and still holding on to a job that involves an absurdly crazy car commute.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: March 08, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »
I used to spend $16 on lunch on Fridays from a sushi restaurant near my work.  I had my 2013 tax return sent over to me in the form of Amazon credit because it gave me an extra 10% of my return.  I sent 1200 over to it and got 1325 out of it.  I ended up spending it all on big purchase items like a new laptop, a gas grill that is way bigger than I will ever need, an expensive computer chair, and a $220 Tissot watch.  If I had the cash I probably would have paid down my student loans.  The only amazon purchase I regret is the grill (and all the accessories) because while I use it, my wife and I don't need a 4-burner grill.  I would have bought a cheaper laptop and chair though.

Gave my sister a 2k "loan" so she could buy a new car (I gave her her first car) while I was accruing more student loans.  It was a loan to the extent that she would have to pay me back only if she didn't go back to college.  She is still in college  year later so I don't regret it at all but it was definitely antimustachian.

Spent the little money I did have (4k) on an engagement ring rather than pay off my student loans (SL are a reoccurring theme).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:03:32 PM by OneCoolCat »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: March 08, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
Playing backjack at $25-$100 a hand. My gambling budget was $50, but I kept on winning so I kept on planning. I won about $600 total.

I ate lunch at Subway, because I didn't want to spend $20 on the buffet. Later that night I was betting $100 hands after one too many drinks. Vegas can change a man in a short amount of time :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #546 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
Most anti mustachios thing I've ever done? Buy 300$ shoes/boots. 2 pairs of them. 6-7 years ago. (Sooo muuuuch mooooney...)

On the positive side, though:
- the boots are my "warm" winter boots. They've got traction, solid sole, are insanely warm, and have kept my feet toast warm though -30C Quebec winters for 7 years now, and I should be able to get another few years out of them if I take them to the cobblers for mending at the end of this winter. Do I regret it? No. But when these give out, I'll probably buy a good pair of Sorrel boots on sale for 120$ or so instead.
- the other shoes are Cole Haan heels. Ludicrous price, I know. But these are 3-inch heels I can wear while standing for 10 hours straight at a conference, walk to dinner, walk back to the hotel, and do it all again the next day... Without having my feet hurt.

And for those who say "just don't wear heels then", please just take my word that not performing to corporate/feminine clothing standards, in the workplace I was in, has direct consequences to being taken seriously, being considered for promotions, and generally being seen as competent. I have an incredibly competent colleague who got denied promotions and lectured about how she needed to "appear more professional", and was specifically told to wear heels and make-up. This was pretty standard expectations at my last 3 jobs... (Ugh, so glad I'm going somewhere with suddenly sensible expectations...) but, basically: if I have to wear heels, I'm ok with paying more to not be in pain while doing it.

And then be frugal enough to be able to switch industries and jobs and wear whatever reasonable shoe I bloody well like. *rant over*

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #547 on: March 08, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
Hmm.  Most of my late teens and all of my 20s have a few doozies.

I'll leave out taking a year here and there to travel, as they were actually fairly cheap and are only bad in terms of opportunity cost.

First and most - buying my first boat, which was a 'project boat'.  Yes, I lived on it for 3 years and had fun, but I poured all my money into it for that time and sold it for less than I paid for it.  On the upside my wife tells me it made me 'interesting' when we met though, so it wasn't a total loss.

Second most antimustachian - probably buying my second boat. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #548 on: March 08, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »
Ugh.  I'm a moron.  again.  A few months ago, while getting a bunch of other expensive maintenance items on my car taken car of, I foolishly agreed to have my faulty in-dash NAV system sent out for refurbishment.  I knew as soon as I got home that it was a mistake -- the NAV system sucked and the only real reason I wanted it fixed was because it also knocked out the clock display and the radio display (so I couldn't tell what radio station I was on). 
Mistake #1 - repairs by the dealer
Mistake #2 - getting NAV system refurbished
Mistake #3 - found out today that I didn't prepay it as I thought.  I was shocked to get another $550 bill!  That's after the $1500 in December when they sent the darn thing away.  I was convinced that the refurb was included in the bill but was too lazy to look at the paperwork.  I suck! 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 08, 2015, 08:36:17 PM »
Married my first husband. An attorney. The divorce was agonizing.