Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245949 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #450 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
This is the fallacy of a sunk cost. I'm assuming that the $770 was non refundable. Nothing you do from the time you bought the booze package is going to change the fact that you spent $770 and can't get it back. Hence, you shouldn't base your decision to drink based on the fact that you spent that $770 - you should drink as much as you feel like, but purposely drinking to "get your money's worth" is a fallacy.
The point was to drink far more than $770 bucks worth of booze/soda/etc simply because we could. Otherwise, why buy the package besides the convenience?

You're missing the point. Once you've already bought the package, there is no rational real to drink simply because you can--which is what I assume you meant when you said "we were drinking from sunrise to sunset to sunrise to get our money's worth from it." If you're drinking sips of random drinks to try them out like you said just now, or drinking because you actually enjoy it, then that's rational. But drinking for the sole purpose of drinking at least $770 worth is pointless because you're out $770 whether you drink nothing or everything they had.
But of course, before you've bought the package, you should contemplate whether you'd actually end up drinking more than $770.

The purpose is to stick it to the man.  And to support the liquor industry.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #451 on: September 08, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
This is the fallacy of a sunk cost. I'm assuming that the $770 was non refundable. Nothing you do from the time you bought the booze package is going to change the fact that you spent $770 and can't get it back. Hence, you shouldn't base your decision to drink based on the fact that you spent that $770 - you should drink as much as you feel like, but purposely drinking to "get your money's worth" is a fallacy.
The point was to drink far more than $770 bucks worth of booze/soda/etc simply because we could. Otherwise, why buy the package besides the convenience?

You're missing the point. Once you've already bought the package, there is no rational real to drink simply because you can--which is what I assume you meant when you said "we were drinking from sunrise to sunset to sunrise to get our money's worth from it." If you're drinking sips of random drinks to try them out like you said just now, or drinking because you actually enjoy it, then that's rational. But drinking for the sole purpose of drinking at least $770 worth is pointless because you're out $770 whether you drink nothing or everything they had.
But of course, before you've bought the package, you should contemplate whether you'd actually end up drinking more than $770.

The purpose is to stick it to the man.  And to support the liquor industry.
I realize you're joking, but seriously - if they wanted to stick it to the man, they could've just taken alcohol from the bar, and when no one was looking, dumping it on overboard.

Pat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
I'm a gearhead, so I've definitely blown a lot of money on cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Over the last few years though, I have transitioned my hobbies to become a little less antimustachian, though. I once loved my gas-guzzling muscle cars and all of the performance parts I could buy for them, now I enjoy bicycling or riding a 70+mpg motorcycle to/from work and around town for errands (though I still have a truck for when I need it.)
Wife and I went to Vegas once, and though I don't drink or gamble, I rented a high end bicycle at over $70/day while we were there.
Most recently, I considered selling my full-size 4wd quad cab pickup and buying a Civic or Corolla (and small trailer for utility needs) for 1/2 the sale price of the truck, but decided that I like my truck and will drive the wheels off of it. It has plenty of reliable life left in it, and is one of the few antimustachian luxuries that I am willing to pay for (I don't owe anything on it, but am willing to keep it and take the mpg hit as opposed to getting rid of it for a cheaper, more efficient vehicle.)

rosel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #453 on: September 10, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
Oh man, this is the thread for me. In 2013 I sold my first business and made excellent money for the first time in my life... and my spending was so bad I honestly think it just shocked me to the point of rebounding into mustachianism.

- Spent $750 on a pair of boots. They're rad, but JESUS.
(Actually quite a few awful purchases like this in different fashion categories, plus probably hundreds of cheaper items. This KILLS me now. My closet but could have been a sizeable deposit on a house.)

- Spent 10K on a 3-month european holiday which we ended up returning from two days in because a family member's cancer took a drastic turn. I don't regret that, but I do regret booking the thing in the first place and not making sure of my refund policies (we could only get about $2K back).

- Spent 5K getting my husband's root canal taken out and replaced with a titanium implant because his "doctor" thought doing so might cure his chronic illness. (It didn't).

On the upside, I'm sure all this crap was what made MMM so compelling to me. I figure if I can leave all that behind and learn from it from age 25 onwards, my finances will work out better in the long run!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Dumbest was probably 15 or so years ago.  Just out of school and wanted to impress.  Waltzed over to a fancy suit place and spent $1000 on a suit.  I wore it about three times.  Still have it and I should probably take it to a consignment shop

There is a way to make this purchase considerably more mustachian. If the suit is a classic cut and timeless color, make it your mission to keep yourself fit enough to wear it for the rest of your life. The health benefits of same could turn your "mistake" into a very mustachian move in the long run.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
1. Alcohol - I was married to micro-brew for 5 years or so, but have since divorced for a cheaper date with the classics, I do go back to her once in a while though.  A quick calculation estimates this habit has cost the 'stache $25k or so (to date).   Hoping to get into cider production at some point if my apple trees ever produce.

2. Guns & Ammo - Hard to say what this has cost the 'stache, but certainly thousands, but probably less than $10k.  I reload my own ammo now which doesn't really save money, but it allows me to shoot more.  While I don't consider the guns investments, they do tend to hold their values well against inflation. As does reloading equipment.  The powder and primers are like booze, though, once they are shot, they are gone forever.

3. Tractors-Went through a phase of buying, repairing and using garden tractors (7 of them plus attachments) from the 60's and 70's.  Never sold any of them.  Hoping to at least thin the herd after FIRE. Probably have $5k tied up in them, but they hold even with inflation well too.

4. 5 years of lunches out everyday.  Probably cost the 'stache $12k or so, but I justify by saying the socialization kept me sane.

Pretty wild to add it all up and think the 'stache could be $50k larger, although I really don't regret much of it at all, because without the outlets, I doubt I could have tolerated the corporate world for as long as I have.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
I bought an iPad with retina display today. Total cost with tax and protective cover came to $450.00.

My 13 year old needed it. She attends a 'bring your own device' school and all her friends have one. She's like the poor white trash student who is demoralized by having to use paper and pencil.

Yeah, I got conned BUT she signed an agreement that she MUST make the honor roll every quarter AND she paid $200 towards the cost with her summer savings.

Still....it's soooo unmustachian of me....I just had to find a place to confess my shame.

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #457 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
What drove me to the site today was my spending for next month... approximately $10K. I work rotationally in northern Iraq... 10 weeks on, 3 weeks off. I usually spend my off time in northern Thailand, where I have a small/cheap apatment ($225/mo) and a lovely little gal that makes me laugh a lot.

Well, giving myself the excuse that they were on my bucket list, I signed up for both a motorcycle racing school and a high performance driving course. Between the two, and the air tickets to criss cross the country (one is in SoCal, the other Atlanta), and the hotels and the rentals cars... yep, more than $10,000 spent for an 18 day trip.

Since I havent actually gone to them yet, I could look at cancelling them for a big loss. Honestly though, I dont want to. I'll go through with it cuz I've already pulled the trigger. I also think I will get a lot out of the motorcycle school as riding around SE Asia is pretty much the main thing I like to do when I'm not stuck in Iraq. So I'll do them both, but I have somewhat learned the lesson and started looking around the interebz for more sound financial practices, which eventually lead me here... so, there's a silver lining.

Still, yeah, ten grand... ouch.

duellingbanjos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
Not the most anti-Mustachian thing I've ever done, but today I just spent $90 on 5 Hanna Andersson dresses for my 4 year old - she can wear two now and three in the next size up. And I was doing so well on my no-buy challenge for 2014 - first clothing purchase for the whole family this year! Granted she will get lots of use out of these clearance summer dresses since it's summer weather year round for us.. but it still seems extremely extravagant.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #459 on: September 14, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
The resale value on the Hanna dresses should be pretty good, too...unless your kid is like mine and destroys clothes.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2014, 03:38:52 AM »
I just did the most anti-mustachian thing of my life this friday.

I bought an Omega watch for $4800.

In my defense:

1. I have been dreaming about this watch for years.
2. I had more than enough cash on hand
3. The watch will hold its value quite well, so it's not like all of the money is wasted.
4. For me it is a beautiful thing that I will treasure each day.

Now you may facepunch me bigtime.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »

In my defense:

3. The watch will hold its value quite well, so it's not like all of the money is wasted.

I think I might faint.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Bought a project car.

It was fun, and I learned a LOT, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a sound financial move.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #463 on: December 07, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

I kind of want a Breitling watch….I am also standing-by for face-punches

SporeSpawn

« Reply #464 on: December 07, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
I went through a phase of book hoarding for a year.

The good news is I mainly bought used or free, so the main waste was space. But I still dropped a lot of dimes on books that I ultimately want to dispose of now.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #465 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
1.  While going to school using the post 9/11 GI Bill (tuition 100% paid for, plus $1500ish monthly living allowance), found out I could take out student loans and the school would cut me a check for all the money the GI bill paid them...did that, bought lots of high-end outdoorsy gear (used for the degree, but not necessary) still paying off the loans.  That degree got me a job that will allow me to have the loans paid off 5 years after graduation, but I could've done it all on the cheap and graduated debt free.

2.  In 2010 I took a 2004 Ford Escape Hybrid that I had bought with cash to the dealership and traded it in for a GMC Seirra Denali & a car loan.  Originally an effort to live out of a vehicle, but such a dumbass move on my part.  It was so shiny!

3.  Bought another Escape Hybrid (loan), wife liked it so much she stole it from me, so I was driving her paid off 04 Suzuki Forenza (4 door manual, great gas mileage).  Sold that for cash and bought a pickup truck + loan.  wtf?! I never learn.  Used the truck a lot, both to move and for helping friends out, but still not necessary.  Started cleaning up my act, found this site, and started telling my wife I'm going to sell the truck after it's paid off, and bike.  Oh yeah, if I need to drive someday, we'll get a small, manual car (she said:  "Like my Forenza?" hahahaha).

I wish the lessons I've had to learn hadn't been so expensive.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #466 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:40 PM »
We spent $30,000 on our wedding in 2006.  Best day ever but holy shit. Wasn't at all Mustachian back then. Luckily I picked well and have a lovely frugal hubby. Would do it differently now but of course that experience is behind me now. Please facepunch 2006 me that also bought a $400 pair of shoes that didn't fit properly, used to buy her lunch most days and had a gym membership that I hardly used but needed for all the after work wines I downed. Thankfully 2006 and 2014 me wouldn't even recognize each other if we met in the street.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #467 on: December 07, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

[/quote

HOLY SHIT - a $5k watch! Does anyone even need a watch these days given that the time is everywhere including on the phones that are superglued to most people's palms? Sorry, just saying...

tracylayton

« Reply #468 on: December 07, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Bought a condo in Mexico that was under construction in June 2013 for $161,500. Went to take possession and furnish it in July 2014. Great trip, love the condo, but husband left 3 weeks later. Still love the condo, though.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

HOLY SHIT - a $5k watch! Does anyone even need a watch these days given that the time is everywhere including on the phones that are superglued to most people's palms? Sorry, just saying...

Indeed, this is against all this site stands for! The point is you'll get just as much enjoyment (happiness) out of a more frugal selection (or as you mention, no selection!) Build those frugal muscles, right?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
I went on a cruise to Alaska recently. It was the first time I or anyone else in my family had been on a cruise. It was a lot of fun and I don't think there is probably a much cheaper way to see so much of SE Alaska, but man, was it anti-mustachian.

I think the most anti-mustachian thing we did was buy the booze package. That was $770 bucks for both of us. My entire group purchased it and we were drinking from sunrise to sunset to sunrise to get our money's worth from it.

I went on a cruise once and calculated that I'd have to drink 5 drinks per day to justify the package.  I then decided that the liver transplant expenses killed the deal.

Ok, never been on a cruise, so I have to ask: What is a booze package????

Food is included in the price of a cruise ticket and is usually buffet style and all you can eat 24/7.  Alcohol is not included.  You have to either pay for each over priced alcoholic beverage you get, or you buy a pass and get unlimited drinks.  That is what the booze package is.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
Fresh out of college and working as an elementary school teacher, I purchased a condo for $0 down with payments at $1050 per month PLUS HOA dues of $175 (which has gone up to $250 during the downturn when everyone started foreclosing).  So my starting payments were $1225 and my take home pay from the school district was only around $1900 per month.

Then on top of that I had a horrible spending habit.  I only got paid once per month and I would just go to the store and buy whatever I wanted.  Then when the money ran out of my checking account I would start using the credit card until the end of the month when I got paid again.  It was an endless cycle for a couple of years until I finally got things under control.

The ONLY thing that ended up saving me was my ARM.  My mortgage payment went from $1050 to $801 and I was able to finally rent it out and break even, well for another year anyway.  I'm still at 2.75% interest and stuck on the ARM because I can't refinance it (I've tried).  I still owe almost double what the condo is worth, but at least someone else is paying the mortgage and HOA dues and I'm hopeful that SOMEDAY it will all be worth it.  Someday... in the meantime I'm desperately working to get the principal balance paid down so I can refinance when the interest rate starts to go up again... sigh...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
Fresh out of college and working as an elementary school teacher, I purchased a condo for $0 down with payments at $1050 per month PLUS HOA dues of $175 (which has gone up to $250 during the downturn when everyone started foreclosing).  So my starting payments were $1225 and my take home pay from the school district was only around $1900 per month.

Then on top of that I had a horrible spending habit.  I only got paid once per month and I would just go to the store and buy whatever I wanted.  Then when the money ran out of my checking account I would start using the credit card until the end of the month when I got paid again.  It was an endless cycle for a couple of years until I finally got things under control.

The ONLY thing that ended up saving me was my ARM.  My mortgage payment went from $1050 to $801 and I was able to finally rent it out and break even, well for another year anyway.  I'm still at 2.75% interest and stuck on the ARM because I can't refinance it (I've tried).  I still owe almost double what the condo is worth, but at least someone else is paying the mortgage and HOA dues and I'm hopeful that SOMEDAY it will all be worth it.  Someday... in the meantime I'm desperately working to get the principal balance paid down so I can refinance when the interest rate starts to go up again... sigh...
Out of curiosity, did you buy it to rent it out, or was it your intent to live there, and renting it out is just making the best out of a bad situation?

KaizenSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »
Brought my first new car. I did get a good deal on it, it was the demo car for the dealer. Then bought another new car about three years later.

Very dumb, wouldn't do that ever again.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2014, 06:37:16 AM »
When I was 20, I inherited some money.  My car was on it's last legs.  Instead of replacing it with a mustacian vehicle, I bought a Ford Mustang.  I drove it for three years in upstate New York and New England.  The rear wheel drive made driving in the snow very difficult.  I traded it in for a new car three years later.  I paid for both cars in cash, but boy, I wish I had just bought a 4-5 year old sedan instead of churning through those cars.

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

Indeed, this is against all this site stands for! The point is you'll get just as much enjoyment (happiness) out of a more frugal selection (or as you mention, no selection!) Build those frugal muscles, right?

I disagree. I don't own a watch like these, but see no difference between buying one or any other piece of art.  For that matter, a car is not always a car.  Sometimes form matters more than function. This is an anti-consumerism forum on an anti-consumerism blog, and I completely agree with 90% of it..but we still have the right to live a life full of those things we value.

That said..my most unMustachian thing is still going on: I'm making payments on my Audi.  I'm saving money, planning for my future, working on killing my debt, but refuse to sell my car. I don't think owning the Audi is unMustachian, but the debt...definitely.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #476 on: December 11, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
Whatever makes you happy I guess...But looking carefully at all the stuff in my life including the diamonds on my finger I can't find any possession except my bike that actually makes me happy. Only a recent discovery but a life changing one for sure. But feel free to stroke your watch or car if that gives you the warm fuzzies. Each to their own.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #477 on: December 12, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
Probably the most Antimustachian thing I've ever done, in terms of sheer amount of money, is send my oldest to a private high school.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: December 12, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »

In my defense:

I think I might faint.

I disagree. I don't own a watch like these, but see no difference between buying one or any other piece of art.  For that matter, a car is not always a car.  Sometimes form matters more than function. This is an anti-consumerism forum on an anti-consumerism blog, and I completely agree with 90% of it..but we still have the right to live a life full of those things we value.

That said..my most unMustachian thing is still going on: I'm making payments on my Audi.  I'm saving money, planning for my future, working on killing my debt, but refuse to sell my car. I don't think owning the Audi is unMustachian, but the debt...definitely.

Hedonic adaptation, my man. You'll be just as happy with cheap shit, scientifically proven.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: December 12, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Owning an Audi is unMustachian. The End.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »

Out of curiosity, did you buy it to rent it out, or was it your intent to live there, and renting it out is just making the best out of a bad situation?

The original plan was to buy it, gain a ton of equity from it, in a couple of years sell it for $50K+ more and use that money for a down payment on a bigger place.  Then continue over and over until I got the nice house I wanted.  Whether or not it was realistic (even if the market hadn't collapsed) I have no idea.  Probably would have found out NO.  But that was the plan at one point.  Then the market crashed, the world changed.  I learned more about finances and the real estate market in general, and now I'm here and in a much better place.  Or at least, hopefully, assuming I don't have more issues with the condo... I'm just desperately trying not to have to foreclose on it (or shortsale, since I can't afford to short sale either, it would probably end up a foreclosure). I made the mistake of financing with a non profit at the time, so they can come after me for the difference if I short sale.  I've talked to lawyers, I would have no other choice but to pay it back. So by having it as a rental, the renters are paying it off for me... and so far so good, but no clue what the future will hold.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:27:55 PM by mydogismyheart »

momoneymama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #481 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
I bought myself a Tiffany Necklace while I was in Vegas in my early 20's. I justified it by not wanting to wait for a man to get the things I want in life. It has brought the dust in my jewelry box many happy years :)

damize

• Stubble
« Reply #482 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »
This should probably be its own topic, but I'm genuinely curious: How does this forum feel about art? Is it only something that you would see for reduced price at the museum, or would you consider owning it?  Or craftsmanship? Would you pay a premium for a finely crafted piece of furniture, or would you only use something that you made yourself? And if you made it yourself, would you make it beautiful...or just good enough?

I believe that FIRE is about more than subsistence living and getting by with good enough.  JD Roth explained his idea of FI being getting what you want, but not everything you want.  You have to pick what is important. For some it is a tiny home, laid out efficiently in an idyllic location. For others, they can't imagine not having a large family. Many take pride in their gardening or cooking. Some like beautiful watches. I like cars. And I really like my Audi.  Stupid cheesy grin every morning...I'm not kidding.

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anybody...but that's my perspective. 

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #483 on: December 12, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
This should probably be its own topic, but I'm genuinely curious: How does this forum feel about art? Is it only something that you would see for reduced price at the museum, or would you consider owning it?  Or craftsmanship? Would you pay a premium for a finely crafted piece of furniture, or would you only use something that you made yourself? And if you made it yourself, would you make it beautiful...or just good enough?

I believe that FIRE is about more than subsistence living and getting by with good enough.  JD Roth explained his idea of FI being getting what you want, but not everything you want.  You have to pick what is important. For some it is a tiny home, laid out efficiently in an idyllic location. For others, they can't imagine not having a large family. Many take pride in their gardening or cooking. Some like beautiful watches. I like cars. And I really like my Audi.  Stupid cheesy grin every morning...I'm not kidding.

Anyway, I'm not going to convince anybody...but that's my perspective.

I think the answer here is going to vary.  I myself, don't have a huge attraction to art.  yes, it's pretty and I enjoy going to museums.  But I don't need fancy artwork in my house.  If a cute print from Kohls costs $20 and it works, I will buy it. I know people who are really into art as a hobby and have purchased expensive paintings.  To each their own I guess.  As far as furniture goes, I do like higher quality so it will last longer.  I've bought some really cheapo stuff from Walmart that fell apart after just a couple years.  But I don't need to go buy fancy expensive, mid level furniture from the store or even furniture from Craigslist will suffice if it's in good condition.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: December 12, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »

I have a different feel about art - I want it to be mine. I'm looking at getting a couple of my photos printed - large, high quality. I don't want to display other people's art, though. That's my opinion on cars, too; I want to restore something, but I have no desire to buy a nice new car.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #485 on: December 12, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »

I have a different feel about art - I want it to be mine. I'm looking at getting a couple of my photos printed - large, high quality. I don't want to display other people's art, though. That's my opinion on cars, too; I want to restore something, but I have no desire to buy a nice new car.

If you're good at it, then that's awesome. I'm horrible at art and making stuff.  I have tried and it usually doesn't go well... it's also not something I'm into so I don't care enough.  But if I was good at it, I totally would.  So that is awesome that you have your own art on display :)

OutBy40

• Stubble
    • ThinkSaveRetire.com
« Reply #486 on: December 12, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
I bought a brand new Cadillac CTS in 2010.  Gawd, how stupid.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #487 on: December 12, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »

My mother is a watercolor artist and I take a pretty good photo. I can think of only two pieces of art on my walls that wasn't made by one of us -- a photo I bought at a craft fair for $30 and a funky print given to me by a relative. I used to have more "real" art, but it left with my ex and I don't miss it.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #488 on: December 12, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
Three days after i got my first full time paycheck, I bought a $21k truck.  And by that I mean that I signed up for 5 years of payments at $319/month.  While i still had $24,000 in student loans. 

Fallenour

• Stubble
  • RE/PM Investor, P2P lender, Business Owner
« Reply #489 on: December 12, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW CAR AT 29.995% INTEREST! *MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRR* *super clippers screech loudly against dollars dying in a slaughter*

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: December 13, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
That does not have to be Antimustachian - it depends on the child, the school, and the cost.  We sent ours to a private French HS (in Quebec) which was just over $3000/year.  She came out fluently bilingual (so fluent that French kids think she is mother language French).  She has never had problems getting a job while in school, since the two languages made her very employable.  If she had gone to our local English HS, she would never have been bilingual.  Plus the academic side was better, and the sports (she is such a jock) were better.  I've never regretted that money.

I have also seen very bright students do well in either private schools or magnet schools, where their life would have been hell in their local school.  It is all about figuring out priorities.

Sorry your experience didn't work out as well.

Probably the most Antimustachian thing I've ever done, in terms of sheer amount of money, is send my oldest to a private high school.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #491 on: December 13, 2014, 11:18:54 PM »
That does not have to be Antimustachian - it depends on the child, the school, and the cost.  We sent ours to a private French HS (in Quebec) which was just over $3000/year.  She came out fluently bilingual (so fluent that French kids think she is mother language French).  She has never had problems getting a job while in school, since the two languages made her very employable.  If she had gone to our local English HS, she would never have been bilingual.  Plus the academic side was better, and the sports (she is such a jock) were better.  I've never regretted that money.

I have also seen very bright students do well in either private schools or magnet schools, where their life would have been hell in their local school.  It is all about figuring out priorities.

Sorry your experience didn't work out as well.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong-we are quite happy with the experience, at least so far. I was just trying to think of the most expensive thing we've done that many people around here would consider to be antimustachian. And to be honest, we probably could have had an equally good experience at a public high school. We just felt that, for various reasons, the private school was a better fit for our eldest.

Sounds like you raised a great kid-kudos to you!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #492 on: December 14, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
During my 20s I lived in NYC and I spent every cent I made on fabulous vacations to Paris, etc. and dinners out. I saved about 6% a year in my 401K and never had any credit card debt. I achieved that modicum of savings by living w/ a roommate in a tiny place and not spending any money on clothes or furniture or anything and I made an OK salary working really long hours, so it was very work hard play hard. I literally had nothing to show for all that spending except extra LBs and wear and tear on the liver haha. More recently I spent 30K on a Masters degree that I have literally never used. Not sure if I regret these decisions. I wish I had just put aside 10% in my 401K instead of 6%. I just didn't know any better.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #493 on: December 14, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

I love art and I like to buy original oil and acrylic paintings.  I really don't like the idea of having an art piece that someone else might have.   I paint and I sculpt as hobbies, but I never display my own pieces.  I think the most expensive piece I've ever bought was about $2600.  I love it and it's the statement piece in my home. 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: December 14, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »
I traded in my 1 year old 2 wheel drive pickup truck for a new 4 wheel drive pickup truck.

To be completely fair to myself, I was into back country camping at the time and I kept getting stuck and knocking the wheels out of alignment.  It was a 93 Nissan.  Looking back, it seems like I went everywhere in that truck.   Nonetheless, this was a very expensive solution.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #495 on: December 14, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
If you are happy with the school and your oldest is doing well there, I don't think that is anti-mustachian.  Careful consideration of appropriate expenditure is our motto here (or one of them) and it sounds like you also think your private school is money well spent.

We are not alone - I know a couple, long since retired, who allocated almost all their discretionary spending to their 3 children's educations.  They also considered it money well spent.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong-we are quite happy with the experience, at least so far. I was just trying to think of the most expensive thing we've done that many people around here would consider to be antimustachian. And to be honest, we probably could have had an equally good experience at a public high school. We just felt that, for various reasons, the private school was a better fit for our eldest.

Sounds like you raised a great kid-kudos to you!

Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #496 on: December 16, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »

-Spending 600 dollar of my savings in one go into workattire. (nominated because I took a couple years out of college and worked in between. The clothes were necessary but it did not have to be this much).
- giving in in buying a Juicy couture bracelet and a DKNY jacket (which I both sold with little profit, so not that bad after all).
- borrowing money.

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #497 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
Spending $350 on Wealthy Affiliate to try and learn how to build a website/blog, only to completely run out of ideas and traction a month in. If I ever try to blog again, I'll go with a free Wordpress or Blogger site. Lesson learned.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #498 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »

-Spending 600 dollar of my savings in one go into workattire. (nominated because I took a couple years out of college and worked in between. The clothes were necessary but it did not have to be this much).
- giving in in buying a Juicy couture bracelet and a DKNY jacket (which I both sold with little profit, so not that bad after all).
- borrowing money.
I don't think borrowing money is necessarily Antimustachian. Borrowing beyond your means certainly is. Borrowing with a high interest rate, such as carrying a balance on a typical credit card, is. But if borrowing money of any amount and for any purpose is antimustachian, then home ownership would be incredibly difficult, as getting a mortgage is borrowing money.

Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #499 on: December 16, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »

- borrowing money.
I don't think borrowing money is necessarily Antimustachian. Borrowing beyond your means certainly is. Borrowing with a high interest rate, such as carrying a balance on a typical credit card, is. But if borrowing money of any amount and for any purpose is antimustachian, then home ownership would be incredibly difficult, as getting a mortgage is borrowing money.

Agreed! I didn't think that one through haha :) . At the time I borrowed (too much) money for college. It left me with a studentloandebt which (captain hinsight) could have been avoided.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!