Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245958 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
Tonight we went out to dinner to celebrate my brother in law's birthday.  It was really great.  We had 3 bottles of wine (only 4 of 5 of us were drinking) and I ordered steak, because the restaurant was a steakhouse.  Food was awesome!  The waiter came around and we told her what food we wanted and she brought it to our table,  then we split 2 desserts and my wife and I had decaf coffee.  I picked up the check, and I just gave them this plastic card that sits in my wallet and I added a tip to the bill and signed my name...  and that was it!   We had this fantastic meal and  all I did was give them a piece of plastic (which they returned to me!)   It just doesn't seem fair!!

Ha! Reminds me of my sister's sister - she applied for and then maxed out all of those credit cards she gets in the mail. "It's free money! Why wouldn't I use it?"

A few years later, she files for bankruptcy. I still don't think she gets it.

or maybe she does.  After all: It really was free money.   :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
Married my almost-ex husband.

Second worst decision - didn't go back for my Ph.D when the chance was offered to me - I had a job lined up and we "needed" (he needed) the money.  I actually enjoyed the grad student life style.

Third worst decision - thinking he would change when I laid out the financial picture (over and over and over again).

We were both poor broke students at the time, I had no idea he had such a sense of entitlement. And no boundaries -  what was his was his, what was mine was his, etc.  I see this enough in some of the journals, I don't need to elaborate here, do I?

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
Listing all the mustachian things I've done would be a much shorter list.

The worst...  poor investing (ahem) of my 401k during the 2k investment bubble, loosing 50%.   Instead of retiring about my current age I have about 5 years to go (age 62).   
If I continue until full social security, the additional SS and additional 401k contributions and growth would make my retirement sweeter, money wise.   From my current perspective, reaching financial independence at 62 is a lot more attractive.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
I use a Louis Vuitton men's wallet. Cost was $500.

bought as a reward once all my debt was 99% eliminated (now 100%).

my justification at the time was that my weekly paycheck is able to purchase 4, but after having it a few months now I'm starting to really regret it.

:-/

I actually think that's a great purchase because it daily will demonstrate to you how easy it is to get off the straight and narrow, and how unworthy 99% of those purchases can be.  Don't agonize over it, but appreciate it as The Object Lesson.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »
Wife drove around in a Subaru for 13 years. When my Acura died I bought her a new Lexus SUV. $50,000. "Discovered" MMM... five months later.

Punch me now.

But at least I'm driving her old Subaru now.

El Limon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
Worst thing I ever did was about 4 years ago. I was reading a "get rich quick" stock strategy book where they promoted a technique called the dead cat bounce. Essentially, the goal was to find the most beaten up equity of the day, watch it sell off, then buy it when it appeared to have hit an absurd low, hoping you could reap a quick 5-10% on a quick dead cat bounce. The first time I tried it, I bought 5K of a stock called the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company ( the old A&P) when it declared bankruptcy and tanked over 40%. The stock was frozen 5 minutes later on a Friday, and i sweated it out all weekend. It was de-listed from the NYSE and I had to sell it over the phone on the pink sheets for 1200 bucks. Lesson learned! Been indexing ever since.     

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
1.. Bought a house at market peak - lost $100,000 on sale.  But then bought a condo on market low and have since made back $200,000(well unless market is low when we go to sell)
2.  Bought a used red BMW Z3. Man I loved that car.  It even carried golf clubs in the trunk.  Sold said car for college tuition for DD.  Didn't lose too much $$$ but still what a waste and took too much time to detail and maintain.  And I am NOT a car person.
3.  Used a financial advisor - fees were a killer and never made up those in returns.  And gave his name to another friend who invested $1m. 
4.  This one is for my dear brother in law - they pay someone about $2500 to hang their outside Christmas lights.  About the most stupid thing ever.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »
4.  This one is for my dear brother in law - they pay someone about $2500 to hang their outside Christmas lights.  About the most stupid thing ever.

wow.

wow.

I dont even see how you could spend that much.  I can almost sort of-but not really- see paying some neighbor kids 10$/hr to help out.  But 2500$ to hang lights, duck!

Yooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2014, 06:56:18 AM »
When I got my first full time job, I use to go out to bars every weekend, two nights a week. I'd spend $80-$100 a night. Since then I've stopped doing this, my wallet and body are both much happier now!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
I can't believe I have to own up to this one, especially because it's so recent.  I can't believe I am still doing this crap, but here it is: 

$200 on Hue Starter kit + 3 extra bulbs @ $60/each.  I bought it because I'm a jackass.  I am really trying to tame my spendy ways and this is just so wasteful.  I don't even know what itch I was satisfying.  I don't think this was to keep up with the Joneses.  I don't think it was to show off (maybe -- buying the Hue Disco app for $2.99 makes me think this is my motivation).  I really wanted something that would turn on at a certain time of evening and turn on/off by itself and dim.  But I know there was a cheaper way to do this.
I justified the purchase like this:
saving money for not having to buy dimmer switches
saving money for not having to buy dimmable light bulbs
saving money for not having to buy timer/dimmer switches
+2.99 for Hue disco to provide strobe light effect in case I ever have a disco party in my house (unlikely)
Coolness factor
Coolness factor of being able to control all lights in house from a single location (onsite or off)
Security

Please facepunch me.  I really need it because even thought I am no longer impressed by these,  as I'm writing this I'm thinking I might do another roomful of recessed lights because I'm starting to believe the reasons above.  WTH? 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2014, 07:48:50 AM »
I can't believe I have to own up to this one, especially because it's so recent.  I can't believe I am still doing this crap, but here it is: 

$200 on Hue Starter kit + 3 extra bulbs @ $60/each.  I bought it because I'm a jackass.  I am really trying to tame my spendy ways and this is just so wasteful.  I don't even know what itch I was satisfying.  I don't think this was to keep up with the Joneses.  I don't think it was to show off (maybe -- buying the Hue Disco app for $2.99 makes me think this is my motivation).  I really wanted something that would turn on at a certain time of evening and turn on/off by itself and dim.  But I know there was a cheaper way to do this.
I justified the purchase like this:
saving money for not having to buy dimmer switches
saving money for not having to buy dimmable light bulbs
saving money for not having to buy timer/dimmer switches
+2.99 for Hue disco to provide strobe light effect in case I ever have a disco party in my house (unlikely)
Coolness factor
Coolness factor of being able to control all lights in house from a single location (onsite or off)
Security

Please facepunch me.  I really need it because even thought I am no longer impressed by these,  as I'm writing this I'm thinking I might do another roomful of recessed lights because I'm starting to believe the reasons above.  WTH?

Uh, WTH is this stuff? I googled it and I still don't understand what it is and what it would be used for. It certainly doesn't look like anything that someone focused on early retirement would ever want.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2014, 08:25:25 AM »
When I was 23, I took $1000 cash out of my local bank branch and went to the mall with my conveniently named friend Rich, who had done the same. 

Goal: Spend it all in one day.

Mission Accomplished. 

I barely remember what we bought.   Lego Bionicle sets and pokemons?  CDs of Destiny's Child and Nelly?  Anti-flatulence underwear?

I did the anti-mustachian walk of shame from my car to my apartment that night, holding several bags of garbage that had already depreciated to zero.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Uh, WTH is this stuff? I googled it and I still don't understand what it is and what it would be used for.
They're lightbulbs with wi-fi controllers in each bulb so you can control (dim, change color, strobe, set up timers, etc) each bulb individually over wi-fi.  They're 3 times as expensive as "regular" LED light bulbs because they have all the fancy stuff in them.

It certainly doesn't look like anything that someone focused on early retirement would ever want.
Exactly.  I'm not focused yet.  Or I fell off the wagon.  or I shaved my mustache.  Or I murdered the dream of FI.    What expression do you use when you have a colossal failure like this?  I couldn't even return them once I came to my senses.  The return was limited to 7 days (obviously they know how long it takes for reality to set in). 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
Uh, WTH is this stuff? I googled it and I still don't understand what it is and what it would be used for.
They're lightbulbs with wi-fi controllers in each bulb so you can control (dim, change color, strobe, set up timers, etc) each bulb individually over wi-fi.  They're 3 times as expensive as "regular" LED light bulbs because they have all the fancy stuff in them.

It certainly doesn't look like anything that someone focused on early retirement would ever want.
Exactly.  I'm not focused yet.  Or I fell off the wagon.  or I shaved my mustache.  Or I murdered the dream of FI.    What expression do you use when you have a colossal failure like this?  I couldn't even return them once I came to my senses.  The return was limited to 7 days (obviously they know how long it takes for reality to set in).

eBay time.

Could be worse. Commercial grade LED are very expensive (although they are far superior to anything you can find for residential applications.) It took $20,000 not including installation to light a 2500 square foot room with these.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »

candidate 1 (nominated due to it's early influence and longevity): I bought an old British sports car in 1983.  Little by little, I've rebuilt/replaced almost every component on it.  I totaled it (badly) around 1987 and (stupidly) bought it back from the insurance company and had it repaired.  I still have it and just can't peel my emotions off of it.

The LBC's * are stupidly seductive. I've had 2 of them and DH has had 2 of them.

The year I stopped smoking I substituted a new activity: shopping. I probably spent $1,000 to $1,500 of clothes that I normally wouldn't have purchased. I want to the mall 2x - 3X weekly, and to the other stores. Tried on clothes. clothes clothes clothes.

But damn, I stopped smoking and didn't gain weight. worth it.

*Little British Cars

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
By far the dumbest thing I've ever done is rack up over $10k in cc debt. The kicker is that I KNEW better - I was quite financially responsible my first job out of college, saved a bunch of dough, paid down student loans... then a couple of years later I went to work for a non-profit in a new city, took a 40% pay cut, and didn't cut my lifestyle 40%. I also did especially stupid crap like drive my car the 2 miles to work, and rack up parking tickets to the point that I got booted. :-\ Stupid twenties.

We also had a $60k wedding 4 years ago but we paid cash and don't regret it. We found each other somewhat later in life, after a fair amount of heartbreak for each of us, and we wanted to celebrate with all our loved ones - and we did. One of the best weekends ever, and we still watch our wedding video every now and then. :)

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
Using the house as a cash register during the early 2000's. A 50k Kitchen remodel bought with equity cash out, not savings. Then rolling in car loans into refinance as well.  Ugh.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »

candidate 1 (nominated due to it's early influence and longevity): I bought an old British sports car in 1983.  Little by little, I've rebuilt/replaced almost every component on it.  I totaled it (badly) around 1987 and (stupidly) bought it back from the insurance company and had it repaired.  I still have it and just can't peel my emotions off of it.

The LBC's * are stupidly seductive. I've had 2 of them and DH has had 2 of them.
*Little British Cars

The most anti-Mustachian thing I've ever done was owning 26 35(!) different cars in my lifetime. I'm 36 years old. Granted, many of them were $500-$3000 specials, and the sale of one was often funneled into another, but I'm certainly not "in the black" over the long haul. I've finally settled down after getting a Triumph Spitfire as a project car (aren't they all?) a few years back. I also converted my Subaru Baja Turbo, which had surprising resale value, into a Mazda2 last year in an effort to get a mustachian car that will last me a long time.

SIDEBAR: The Triumph Spitfire project purchase was a step towards more responsible car spending for me, as I've had it for several years now and it satisfies my car hobby/project/engineering need. I'm currently in the process of swapping a Miata drivetrain into it and completely re-engineering the front suspension and steering systems.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:52:14 AM by Winston »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #368 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »

*Little British Cars

The most anti-Mustachian thing I've ever done was owning 26 35(!) different cars in my lifetime. I'm 36 years old. Granted, many of them were $500-$3000 specials, and the sale of one was often funneled into another, but I'm certainly not "in the black" over the long haul. I've finally settled down after getting a Triumph Spitfire as a project car (aren't they all?) a few years back. I also converted my Subaru Baja Turbo, which had surprising resale value, into a Mazda2 last year in an effort to get a mustachian car that will last me a long time.

SIDEBAR: The Triumph Spitfire project purchase was a step towards more responsible car spending for me, as I've had it for several years now and it satisfies my car hobby/project/engineering need. I'm currently in the process of swapping a Miata drivetrain into it and completely re-engineering the front suspension and steering systems.

You'll still have to keep the Roadster Factory on speed dial.  ;)

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #369 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
You'll still have to keep the Roadster Factory on speed dial.  ;)

I usually use Victoria British, but yes :)

The car is so heavily modified (mechanically) that body/trim pieces are pretty much the only factory stuff that still fits on it!

mostlyeels

« Reply #370 on: May 16, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
Definitely the dumbest thing I've spent on was a Swiss watch.  I got a windfall last year, saved most of it, but spent $4000 on a watch.  And this is after I converted to Mustachianism!  I love it and wear it every day, but still...

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
Financed a USED boat that cost $16,500 for TEN years at 5.5%. And put nothing down on it.  Granted, I'm not quite dumb enough to not pay extra and pay it off way before that... but yea, definitely not mustachian.

It was also the first thing I ever financed and couldn't believe they would offer me that.  I keep thinking to myself "no wonder why our country and Americans are so outrageously in debt."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:09:22 PM by shotgunwilly »

PDXgrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Before I saw the light 'stache, I would habitually shell out $100 or more at Sephora - SEVERAL TIMES A MONTH.
I don't even wear that much makeup so I really don't know what I was thinking, except that I was single, in my mid 20s, and had a great stable job.  And they give you free samples!
Each time I think about it I throw up a little in my mouth.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #373 on: May 23, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
Wife drove around in a Subaru for 13 years. When my Acura died I bought her a new Lexus SUV. $50,000. "Discovered" MMM... five months later.

Punch me now.

But at least I'm driving her old Subaru now.

LOL, I bought my now ex wife a brand new $40K BMW X3 (at least we paid cash).  Under a year later we were divorced.

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #374 on: May 23, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
In 2008, I was studying abroad in Switzerland for a semester and I would take trips to neighboring countries during the weekends.  I spent about $4000-5000 total on these trips during the 5 or so months I was there in addition to the higher cost of living in Switzerland.  However, I still kept my expenses in check each time I took a weekend trip by using Eurail passes to get cheap long distance transportation and staying in hostels.  I probably averaged less than $100 a day doing these trips (including  transportation and lodging) but the sheer # of them that I took ended up costing me around $5000 total.  It was still quite fun and one of the happiest times in my life.

It wasn't until I came back to the states and graduated in 2009 when reality hit.  It took me 10 months to find a job and I burned through my savings during that time..  12,000 became 2000 in 10 months and that was after ruthlessly cutting as many expenses as I could by cheap renting, cooking almost every day, and getting the cheapest car and health insurance plans I could find.  My ordeal during that time pretty much taught me the lesson of Mustachianism (or whatever it should be called since that name wasn't around back then) AND my near miss with homelessness pretty much ensured these values stuck with me (to this day) even after I found a job.

Another One:

I was learning how to sell covered calls on stocks a few years ago when I discovered a stock with an unusually high option premium.  it was too good to be true but my alarm bells didn't go off instantly as I was desperate for money back then (unemployed).  I didn't realize that that stock had split a while ago and those call options were on the stock pre-split.  I had 100 shares of the stock (post split) and sold 1 call on the pre-split stock..  I panicked when I found out the mistake I made and tried to get out asap but there was no liquidity so I ended up covering my option at the ask price, losing $800 which could have been easily prevented.  Now $800 may not be much money but that was back in 2009 when I graduated with no job.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:02:03 PM by blackomen »

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
The most un-Mustachian thing I've done is dated women who expected me to pay for everything.  Dating women who had this type of financial mindset taught me exactly what I wanted to actively avoid in life.  I find one of the hardest part was becoming an astute detective, culling the truth from the lies.  I'm reminded of the phrase, "Deeds not words".  Does anyone else find a persons deeds are far more revealing than their words? 

It is normal for people to put their best foot forward when dating, but there is a difference between that and completely hiding/distorting your true nature, which is what I encountered on more than one occasion.  Anyways, I am sure there are many singles in the forums with different experiences.  But if you encountered this too, what tips would you share with others?  Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:38:48 PM by sobezen »

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
The most un-Mustachian thing I've done is dated women who expected me to pay for everything.  Dating women who had this type of financial mindset taught me exactly what I wanted to actively avoid in life.  I find one of the hardest part was becoming an astute detective, culling the truth from the lies.  I'm reminded of the phrase, "Deeds not words".  Does anyone else find a persons deeds are far more revealing than their words? 

It is normal for people to put their best foot forward when dating, but there is a difference between that and completely hiding/distorting your true nature, which is what I encountered on more than one occasion.  Anyways, I am sure there are many singles in the forums with different experiences.  But if you encountered this too, what tips would you share with others?  Cheers!

Been there done that. I have certainly found women who say they are good with their money but are not. On the other hand I know that I have been guilty in the past of doing things (going out more often than I would otherwise) solely because I am newly dating someone. I try to not let that be the case but I think this is, to some extent, inevitable.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »

Been there done that. I have certainly found women who say they are good with their money but are not. On the other hand I know that I have been guilty in the past of doing things (going out more often than I would otherwise) solely because I am newly dating someone. I try to not let that be the case but I think this is, to some extent, inevitable.

I think some people think "good with money" means using coupons or something just as weird. Uh yeah using a coupon is super smart IF you were going to buy that exact item anyway, if not it's a huge waste of money. Or I have friends that think they are great with money because they are so much better than her sister, but her sister is TERRIBLE so what kind of barometer is she?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »

I think some people think "good with money" means using coupons or something just as weird. Uh yeah using a coupon is super smart IF you were going to buy that exact item anyway, if not it's a huge waste of money. Or I have friends that think they are great with money because they are so much better than her sister, but her sister is TERRIBLE so what kind of barometer is she?

True. I dated a girl who said she was good with money because she didn't have CC debt and only $40k in student loans and a $35k loan on a big Volvo SUV ("it was a great deal"). Spent every penny she made.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
I buy camera gear. I don't yet make any money from it. I don't really plan to, though I wouldn't mind if I did. That's my vice.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #380 on: July 01, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
This is as good a place as any for my first post...

back in my early 20s, I really enjoyed gambling.  At the time I was making, maybe $45-50k per year, had $500 a month in student loan payments and basically living paycheck to paycheck with a "safety net" of $1200 in my checking account.  I went on a business trip to Reno, NV and ended up losing $1,000 of my $1,200 over the course of three days of blackjack, craps, roulette and (eventually) keno.  The latter was played only because it required a small initial investment and it took longer (per dollar) to lose than the other games I'd been playing.

Fortunately, I started dating my now wife soon after that and she really righted the ship. 

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
Did it yesterday, in fact.   Booked 10 days in Mexico over CHRISTMAS FREAKING BREAK.   Somebody PLEASE put my hair out?????

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
Cashed out our entire savings, $100,000 in mutual funds, in stock market crash in early 2000's. Went to Disneyland and bought a van. Still shaking my head over our stupidity!

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »
Did it yesterday, in fact.   Booked 10 days in Mexico over CHRISTMAS FREAKING BREAK.   Somebody PLEASE put my hair out?????

Yeah I don't think this is so terrible at all, as long as you don't make it a habit. What if it's the vacation you'll always remember and look back upon fondly? Again, as long as it's not a habit, cut yourself some slack and eat lots of cheap tacos.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »

Yeah I don't think this is so terrible at all, as long as you don't make it a habit. What if it's the vacation you'll always remember and look back upon fondly? Again, as long as it's not a habit, cut yourself some slack and eat lots of cheap tacos.

I think the issue is more doing it over xmass brake, two weeks one way or the other and the hotels would be half the price.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
For me, it was probably spending $60 on a name-brand pair of jeans that were just a little too small. They ripped wide open across the backside the second time I wore them. Lesson learned.

CaliToCayman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
I've got my fair share, but probably one of the dumbest has to be buying a brand new toyota tacoma even though my commute was 23 miles each way (Malibu to downtown LA, EVERY DAY). There are so many things wrong with that last sentence it makes my head spin now.

To atone for this I have done several things: (1) I now live about a mile from work (not in LA); (2) I sold the truck; (3) Bought a $200 beach cruiser (it was the cheapest bike I could find on the island)

The other real kick in the pants was going to a private school for undergrad, I guess, but I'm a bit reluctant to place this in the "really dumb move" pile because those 4 years and the people I met at school had a profound impact on my life. I'm not sure I'd be  the same person or be in the same position that I am in today, and I really wouldnt change a thing about my life now, I truly do enjoy it.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »

True. I dated a girl who said she was good with money because she didn't have CC debt and only $40k in student loans and a $35k loan on a big Volvo SUV ("it was a great deal"). Spent every penny she made.

Wow!  Only $40,000 in loans plus $35,000 car loans?  I hope you ran away faster than the wind.  Sadly it appears there are a lot more of these types of women than sensible Mustachians.  Have you met any?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

Wow!  Only $40,000 in loans plus $35,000 car loans?  I hope you ran away faster than the wind.  Sadly it appears there are a lot more of these types of women than sensible Mustachians.  Have you met any?

Unfortunately no :(

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
I bought my house in 2010 and I used most of the $8,000 Obama first time home buyer tax credit money on furnishing my home.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »

I was not a crazy mustachian when we started dating, but I was a 23yo girl who had zero debt to to her name and a bit of a savings account. The first financial thing we did once we got married was use some of my savings to pay off his truck debt, and we have had no debt in our married life except a mortgage.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Antimustachian thing:  Refusing to learn from previous accumulation errors.

Last weekend I had SafeRacks installed in my garage.  (super-strong industrial strength, ceiling-mounted shelves).  I was really happy to get my Xmas tree off the floor of my garage.  The installer suggested another spot in the garage that was ideal for another shelf.  I went for it.  I really like them, and I can't wait to start cleaning out and rearranging my garage, but I realized that I'm OCD or a hoarder or just nuts! 

Christmas items are now on the rack above the garage door.  Excellent.  Love it. 
Second rack is stacked top to bottom with Rubbermaid bins.  That are empty.  Sister gave them to me.  Yes, that's right, I just paid a couple hundred dollars to store empty storage bins.  I have no desire to fill these bins and actually want to get rid of more stuff in the garage.   

I did this in my last place when I got Ikea shelves and then started collecting pretty boxes to put into the empty cubbies so they didn't look empty.  When I started accumulating more things, I built shelves in the closets to store the real stuff so I wouldn't have to get rid of the empty boxes!   I even started paying for empty cigar boxes thinking they would be perfect for storing (something) some day.  They're not.

This is clearly some type of hoarding issue!   

dithw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
20% of our take home on food last month.  Despite the fact that we're pretty good at both cooking and being frugal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
Completely moronic: $180 on a freaking dark espresso jewelry box seven years ago. A jewelry box.

I hardly even wear jewelry, and bought it to match the entire bedroom set we'd received as newlyweds. Now we no longer have the bedroom set (sold it to move several hours away, built an upholstered headboard/frame and wall-mounted bedside tables and got 2 mahogany dressers for $100)

I now have a $180 jewelry box that doesn't match sitting on those 2 much nicer dressers. D'oh.

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: July 21, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
We haven't invested anything anywhere, ever. Even when there was surplus. We were just ignorant. I'm planning on fixing that as soon as we move back to the US this month.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: July 21, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
There are two big ones that spring to mind. Other than these, I'm pretty frugal with my money.

1) Bought a sea eagle kayak (385ft Pro Package http://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrack.aspx). Include shipping from the US and Australian taxes and all up it came to about $2000. I can't fault its build quality or design. The problem is that after I use it I have to clean it well with fresh water and let it dry before rolling it up and putting it away otherwise it smells a little. I should also add that I've only used it 3 times in 2 years....

2) Maldives honeymoon. We actually got a good deal (for a Maldives honeymoon). Flights, transfers, meals, unlimited alcohol, people powered/wind powered activities, 4 nights/5 full days for $3000 each. Normally I'm a camping and backpacking kinda guy, but the wife twisted my arm into going to the Maldives. No regrets though. Pictures here http://gdaykorea.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/maldives-honeymoon-centara-ras-fushi-resort.html

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
We haven't invested anything anywhere, ever. Even when there was surplus. We were just ignorant. I'm planning on fixing that as soon as we move back to the US this month.

Have you done the leg work online yet?  Do you know who you will invest with, I can go along with delaying pulling the trigger till you have a US mailing address but is there a good reason not get ready to go?  Do you know what funds you will invest in?

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
Bought a handheld video game system after losing my job last year. No regrets though, especially since it game with a few free games.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
I think that if you truly enjoy playing videogames, they need not be antimustachian.

Say you drop a thou on a system, TV, and a couple of games. Within a couple of weeks, you can easily spend several hundreds of hours on those games, and you can make friends online and such. That's a pretty good bang for your buck, if you'd have otherwise spent your time watching TV or whatever.

Naturally there are more productive uses of money and time, but Mustachianism is about balancing wastefulness/luxury and frugality. Videogames can have a place in a Mustachian lifestyle, as long as you don't overdo it or overspend on it.

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Have you done the leg work online yet?  Do you know who you will invest with, I can go along with delaying pulling the trigger till you have a US mailing address but is there a good reason not get ready to go?  Do you know what funds you will invest in?

Somewhat. We're changing situations kind of dramatically - one kid remaining in Europe (non-mustachian move in an attempt to stave off later emotionally draining fallout. long story, some face-punches already applied), DH's new job will be paid irregularly and provides no US based retirement since it's with a foreign employer. So it's hard to know what will be surplus and how often. Oh and I guess I couldn't avoid mentioning my possibly-most-anti-mustachian thing which is that we'll be putting lots of our extra into our mortgage (3% interest for next 5 years)… The way we're looking at it is that the house is our retirement account (at least for now). I'll be doing everything I can to plan and plant a smart edible landscape/water harvesting mini paradise with as many free/scavenged/second-hand resource inputs as possible. I also freelance from home part time and will up my hours any way I can when the moving dust settles.

None of which answers your question. It's only in the last month, since I found MMM, that I felt like my frugal tendencies weren't just personal quirks (and some-time social liabilities) AND that I found information that calmed my irrational fear of investing. But now I know about Vanguard and just came across the William Bernstein recommendations. I'm still in the educational phase combined with evaluating best options given the situation, but at least I'm starting - which never happened before.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!