Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245963 times)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »
After three decades, I finally answered the siren song of the banjo thanks to the aide of a fellow pickin' friend today and I'm hooked. Nothing invested so far outside of picks, but I fear this is going to turn into an expensive hobby... and I struggle with caring that it will.

UPDATE:

A local music shop was clearing out its banjo section as their banjo expert had left. As the aftermarket for Deering openbacks is limited at best, I folded with the price offered, and am now the owner of a brand new Deering Goodtime banjo. Clearly, it's only going to get more expensive from this point on.

(insert shave and a haircut riff here)

more than 2 bits?

*sigh* Substantially.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
After three decades, I finally answered the siren song of the banjo thanks to the aide of a fellow pickin' friend today and I'm hooked. Nothing invested so far outside of picks, but I fear this is going to turn into an expensive hobby... and I struggle with caring that it will.

UPDATE:

A local music shop was clearing out its banjo section as their banjo expert had left. As the aftermarket for Deering openbacks is limited at best, I folded with the price offered, and am now the owner of a brand new Deering Goodtime banjo. Clearly, it's only going to get more expensive from this point on.

(insert shave and a haircut riff here)

more than 2 bits?

*sigh* Substantially.

I'm sure it did.. just had to add that from the shave and a haircut riff :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »
I have some vehicle face punches coming.  I bought a new 2005 Mazda3 @ 7.something% interest when I should have kept on driving my '95 Civic for a couple more years.  Paid off the Mazda when I sold my house in California.  I should have kept that car and still be driving it today.  Loved it, actually.  No, instead I sold it for not too much less than I paid, bought a crappy old CRX that was constantly needing $600 repairs, plus an F-150 and a horse trailer... without doing the research needed to get an appropriate truck/trailer pairing.  Landed a new job where I needed a more reliable commuter than the CRX, so bought a brand new Honda Fit - financed of course.  Then traded in the F-150 for a more suitable F-250 (this actually wasn't too bad of a move, the 150 needed work, and the 250 has been great).  After driving the Fit for about 2 years, I decided I just wanted something "cushier" so traded it in for a brand new Accord, which I then traded for a CR-Z, because the Accord was boring and the gas mileage sucked.  I don't want to know how much farther ahead I'd be right now if I'd just kept the paid-off Mazda3 and purchased an appropriate horse-hauling setup for cash after a few months of saving.  Duh.  At least the CR-Z gets about 40 MPG and I'm planning to keep it for 10 years or so.

ETA:  The CRX may have seemed Mustachian, but it was unreliable, so I ended up commuting 17 miles in my F-150 quite a bit when gas was $4 a gallon.  Sort of negated any savings there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:52:53 AM by horsepoor »

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
Well, I am a music collector, so that's antiMustachian in some ways... on the other hand, I only buy good deals, and I have enough non-liquid equity in music that I could sell it all if I had to, given enough time, for quite a tidy profit. I guess luxury spending isn't that bad if you spend it on assets.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
When I was in college, I bought a first-gen firebird in very bad shape and put in a new engine, suspension, the works. I had a full scholarship, so I funded it with student loans and did not get a job at any point (except a few summers.) I then proceeded to use it for 6 years to make my 75 mile one-way commute to college. This car required premium fuel and got around 8-12 mpg.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
I was awfully un-mustachian today. Got tired of trying to find a "good enough" used saddle to fit my and my horse's challenging conformations and ordered a brand new one.  I'm getting it on a trial, so I haven't technically bought it yet, but if I do, the horrifying price tag is $3,380.  At least they will build it to my exact specs for that price if I don't decide to keep the trial saddle.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:12 AM »
Mid 90's we had a mini van and pop up camper that we used for family vacations. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

So we decided we wanted a bigger pop up camper that had a heater, hot water and more storage so we bought a brand new one.

But the new camper was bigger and needed a larger mini van that could tow more so we bought a brand new larger mini van which replaced a van that wasn't more than 5 years old.

Then less than 2 years later we decided to buy a cabin instead.  Sold off the camper for quite a bit less than we paid.

The camping and cabin were great for our family but that 2nd camper was a big mistake.  We did get many years out of that mini van at least.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »
Bought a brand new 45' Carver to keep on Lake Michigan and a few high end cars. Got rid of yacht late that fall (end of season) because wife had second baby. That was Dumb but at least 14 years ago! Did have a family boat/ski boat after that but am free of fancy cars, boats and almost all other toys now.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
I still kick myself for this...I didn't start really investing until I was 33. I did contribute minimally to my 401k from the start in my 20s, but I wasn't saving nearly enough. What's worse, I wasn't even blowing money on fun stuff. I was holding it in cash. Way too much cash. Embarrassingly high amounts of cash in a non-interest bearing account. I just hadn't learned about investing yet. Once I got things turned around, things have really picked up in the last 6 years since then and I hope to be FI within 10 years. I do think to myself that if only MMM had been around 15 years ago, I'd probably already be FI or at least be close! I'm just glad I got my act together in my early 30s and didn't wait until even later like many people do. I guess if that's the worst financial mistake I ever make, maybe I'm not doing too bad after all.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2014, 11:57:40 PM »
Used my student loan to pay for a trip to India.

Trip was awesome, but I should have worked and saved for it instead.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
LASIK. It works out to being somewhat more expensive or possibly break-even to buying a new pair of glasses every few years but I paid for it when I was in CC debt, although the timing may actually have been good because I used a FSA account to pay for the whole thing before they dropped the contribution limit to only $2500/yr.

I'd still waste my money on LASIK without hesitation, one of the best things I ever wasted money on in my 27 years long life!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
Became a skydiver (500+ jumps), Built two airplanes, became an instrument rated Private pilot and went to aerobatic school.

All great fun but I'm glad its out of my system and all aviation hobbies have been sold..:)

Frank

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:27 AM »
Built two airplanes

My grandfather paid for a lot of his flying by building an selling his own planes.  I think he said you can brake even excluding fuel/storage.  The others on the list not-so-much.

You ever try sailplanes?  Seems cheaper than powered but have not tired it.  (got 85% done with private powered before stopping; got boring and hard to consistently get flight time.)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »
I fell in love with (then married) a man who was being drained by his evil ex-wife -- she threatened to withhold access to their son if he didn't agree to a huge payment, and he was too distressed to fight it. I paid for practically everything for two years until we were able to get a fair agreement in place. It took forever to dig out of that one.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
When we moved in together we bought lots of stuff for the new house on credit cards and we used to blow through money buying takeaways and having meals out instead of cooking. I can barely make myself calculate how much money that was as it's too horrendous.

I still kick myself for this...I didn't start really investing until I was 33.

Eek, I am only thinking about investing now and I'm 38.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Built two airplanes

My grandfather paid for a lot of his flying by building an selling his own planes.  I think he said you can brake even excluding fuel/storage.  The others on the list not-so-much.

You ever try sailplanes?  Seems cheaper than powered but have not tired it.  (got 85% done with private powered before stopping; got boring and hard to consistently get flight time.)

Well it depends very much on what you build. About the only airplanes where you could "make" money (excluding your labour) was to build one of the Van's series of pre-punched kits.

But that was before the great recession.. I knew of several builders that made out but ended up selling mine for slightly less than what I built it for.

Then add to that hangar rental fees ($140 a month and Insurance ($1500 a year), not even mentioning the two yearly instrument recertifications to allow your airplane to fly in clouds, and fuel.

It was definately not a cost neutral hobby.

Then again my salary was pretty high and I enjoyed it.. This was before I ever thought about retiring early.

Thankfully the airplane sold very quickly back in September when I knew I wanted to retire.

I think I would probably built an ultralight that I could take off/land in my back field if I felt the need to go back to flying... No more 1200 mile trips to Colorado (and beating the airlines door to door) with one of those though..:)

Frank

Krnten

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
Ooh I have a few:

1. $35k wedding, $25k came from my generous parents.

2.  Paying $900 PER NIGHT for a private room in the hospital after our baby was born.  That was on top of the hospital bill.  I still think I could have stayed at the mandarin oriental up the block and hired a nurse for those 3 days and come out ahead.  Surcharges seem to be standard in NYC for private rooms.

3.  Hello, my name is krnten, and I'm someone who likes expensive jewelry.  I didn't know this about myself until my husband bought me a lovely engagement ring and then I wanted MORE.  That ring was 2200, I bought another beautiful ring for 2300 last year, and just bought myself a $1900 watch (from eBay).  Which doesn't even work well, btw, and I had to return it for repairs.  Ugh.  I'm embarrassed to write all that down.   I think that's it for the jewelry for a while.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »
I'd still waste my money on LASIK without hesitation, one of the best things I ever wasted money on in my 27 years long life!

Oh absolutely. +1.

I wouldn't even consider it Antimustachian. Mustachainity is not about being as cheap as possible, it's about improving your quality of life by being frugal. Some things are worth paying for, others aren't. The joy / simplification of life from being able to see clearly with my own two eyes was well worth the cost of my PRK surgery.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
Well, here's something bad: last week I had to pay $53.00 in credit card interest because somehow my financial guy (aka DH) mishandled the credit card bill and it went unpaid. I'm not sure that has ever happened in our 25 years of marriage. One time in the past a payment was late but he talked the cc company into deleting that charge because we had years in with that company.

My current card isn't one that I've had around for very long so I did not try to get them to remove the fee. I can't think of any other time I've paid interest on ANYTHING in 25 years. We pay cash for everything including houses.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
Ooh I have a few:

3.  Hello, my name is krnten, and I'm someone who likes expensive jewelry.  I didn't know this about myself until my husband bought me a lovely engagement ring and then I wanted MORE.  That ring was 2200, I bought another beautiful ring for 2300 last year, and just bought myself a $1900 watch (from eBay).  Which doesn't even work well, btw, and I had to return it for repairs.  Ugh.  I'm embarrassed to write all that down.   I think that's it for the jewelry for a while.
hey there jewelry girl, I'm going to tell you something: your expense in jewelry isn't all that much. A $2,200 engagement ring is nice but not extreme. I think it fits well within mustachean principles because you love it AND you'll be wearing it for a long time.

I say this as someone who has never considered herself a jewelry fan, yet I am lately into rings on ebay. I like vintage but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I need to get off this jewelry kick I'm on before I spend some real money.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
I think it fits well within mustachean principles because you love it AND you'll be wearing it for a long time.
Sorry, but loving possessions is not Mustachian at all. You can be perfectly happy without owning expensive decorations.

It's also pretty clear that this became a habit, which would have big consequences for your finances in the long term.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:44:00 AM by warfreak2 »

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »
I think it fits well within mustachean principles because you love it AND you'll be wearing it for a long time.
Sorry, but loving possessions is not Mustachian at all. You can be perfectly happy without owning expensive decorations.

It's also pretty clear that this became a habit, which would have big consequences for your finances in the long term.

It's a very, very slippery slope.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2014, 07:27:09 AM »

It's a very, very slippery slope.

Yes it is. Face punching is in order for those who "collect" if they aren't evaluating the worth of the "stuff" in their lives and are mindlessly collecting. One nice engagement ring and one nice watch--not deserving of the punching. Presumably they will be worn for a lifetime.

But it's about living your values. If the wearer totals up the amount of hours one works for The Man as a measure of its worth and it is worthy of that--so be it. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:55:43 AM by iris lily »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »
One nice engagement ring and one nice watch--not deserving of the punching. Presumably they will be worn for a lifetime.
Sure it is. I agree with the values you appeal to in your post, but the way I see it the facepunch is best interpreted as an invitation to reflect on whether you're really getting the value for the money. Presumably I have at least a couple facepunch-worthy behaviors (like a crazy-nice laptop, even though it's acquired new). ATMO it's not productive for me to say "how dare you question my right to buy a snazzy ultrabook" but it is productive for me to seriously question whether or not the snazzy laptop is worth it, and then continue living my life having examined my spending and having either decided to get rid of or to keep the laptop.

But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
I know a lot of people who say this and have been really happy post-LASIK. I must be an oddball because I've worn glasses since I was 7, and I can't imagine not wearing them. I don't think I even look like me without them.

Mark me down as another oddball!  I like my glasses and also don't think I look like myself without them.  I feel the same way about earrings (am the only female I know without pierced ears).  Whenever I put on clip-ons (like if I'm in a wedding party), I think I don't look like myself at all.  Of course, the silly dress could contribute to that feeling as well!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:36:40 AM by Gray Matter »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
I think going to an out-of-state college was the most antimustacian thing I did. I loved my time at Michigan but looking at it from a tuition/rent/living expenses compared to going to an in-state school (or to Wisconsin using reciprocity).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
I know a lot of people who say this and have been really happy post-LASIK. I must be an oddball because I've worn glasses since I was 7, and I can't imagine not wearing them. I don't think I even look like me without them.

Mark me down as another oddball!  I like my glasses and also don't think I look like myself without them.  I feel the same way about earrings (am the only female I know without pierced ears).  Whenever I put on clip-ons (like if I'm in a wedding party), I think I don't look like myself at all.  Of course, the silly dress could contribute to that feeling as well!

I don't wear earrings either (male), but I have considered LASIK and contacts. I don't think I would feel right without my glasses on.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
$800 toilet seat.   

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
$800 toilet seat.

???

Explain.
Toto Washlet (Fancy Bidet with heated seat, temperature and pressure controls for water, and a few other fancy features)
http://www.amazon.com/SW554-01-Washlet-Elongated-Toilet-Cotton/dp/B0011YSEUC
TOTALLY worth it!!  (Sorry Mustachians, I'll take the face-punch for this one)   
I like to think I got it for the health and sanitary aspects, but the heated seat just makes me feel decadent. 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
$800 toilet seat.

???

Explain.
Toto Washlet (Fancy Bidet with heated seat, temperature and pressure controls for water, and a few other fancy features)
http://www.amazon.com/SW554-01-Washlet-Elongated-Toilet-Cotton/dp/B0011YSEUC
TOTALLY worth it!!  (Sorry Mustachians, I'll take the face-punch for this one)   
I like to think I got it for the health and sanitary aspects, but the heated seat just makes me feel decadent.

You can get a bidet far cheaper than that,  though.  For that price you could put a bidet in every toilet that you regularly use.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Not a chick, but in general I'd accept an ex's jewelry as more of a "haha, fuck you!" to the other girl.

I'm pretty competitive though.

This diamond in particular... 33k is a hell of a lot of money, and you're lucky to be able to get rid of it without a loss. I'd sell it and get something just as meaningful but less expensive when the next possible Mrs. Moorebonds comes along

Speaking as a chick, I wouldn't want the other girls ring but I wouldn't want a $33K diamond either. I actually wouldn't want a diamond. I would prefer my birth stone which is quite cheap compared to diamonds.

Pretty much my entire marriage was anti-mm. My ex was a huge spender. I was the breadwinner. I wasn't able to save anything until after the divorce.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
As I was graduating college I had access to a lot of money all of sudden so I put about $10k in a tech fund at the height of the tech-craze.  Once I figured out everything I think I lost about half of it moving it to a S&P 500 index fund.  Pretty embarassing that I bought into the 'make money quick scheme' of tech stocks back in 2000.

A more recent event was I needed a specialty paint which a local paint shop convinced me to switch for a different, same-ingredients paint that they sold for about $50/gallon.  When I ran out of the 6-7 gallons I purchased, on a Sunday morning when that particular store was closed, I did an internet search and found the same paint for about $21 at the local Lowe's...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: March 25, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
You can get a bidet far cheaper than that,  though.  For that price you could put a bidet in every toilet that you regularly use.
I first saw this in Japan 13 years ago and wanted it then.  I waited ELEVEN YEARS to get one.  Doesn't that cooling off period count for anything?  :)  Seriously, I love this thing and while I wouldn't run back in a burning house for it, if it broke, I'd get the same one all over again.   

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
Lost my heart in May 2012 to an ex-stray pit bull mix with serious cuddle skills, and then 9 months later went and adopted for him a companion bitch. Food (high-quality kibble, homemade stock, and various treats), vet bills (oy), heartworm pills, flea/tick treatment, toys, a trainer, and doggie daycare 4 x week. Insanity.

Oh I can beat that. Already into a dog breed with known health problems, (and NO I don't pay for the dogs, I get them for free) I adopted last spring, a bulldog who needs lots of regular veterinary care. And then decided to start the countdown to FIRE. While technically I can afford this dog's treatments, it will be the one outstanding luxury that I will have in retirement, can't cut back on him.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »
I first saw this in Japan 13 years ago and wanted it then.  I waited ELEVEN YEARS to get one.  Doesn't that cooling off period count for anything?  :)  Seriously, I love this thing and while I wouldn't run back in a burning house for it, if it broke, I'd get the same one all over again. 

Yeah in Japan the toilets play music and have gizmos that clean up 'after'.  Is really rather funny to watch.  All American seats are positively spartan by comparison.

First youtube video I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXkGC2c5PT4

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2014, 06:07:13 AM »
Yeah in Japan the toilets play music and have gizmos that clean up 'after'.  Is really rather funny to watch.  All American seats are positively spartan by comparison.
I will also add in my defense that this is definitely a purchase that I don't brag about at work, so there is no one-upmanship involved. I wish I could tell everyone I knew about it because it's THAT good. Plus, I would love if these were more common and found in every home so I don't have to look like a spendthrift.

I would rate the purchase as 40% health and hygiene and 60% anti-mustache luxury. Because it's true, I didn't choose the lowest end model.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »
Lost my heart in May 2012 to an ex-stray pit bull mix with serious cuddle skills, and then 9 months later went and adopted for him a companion bitch. Food (high-quality kibble, homemade stock, and various treats), vet bills (oy), heartworm pills, flea/tick treatment, toys, a trainer, and doggie daycare 4 x week. Insanity.

Oh I can beat that. Already into a dog breed with known health problems, (and NO I don't pay for the dogs, I get them for free) I adopted last spring, a bulldog who needs lots of regular veterinary care. And then decided to start the countdown to FIRE. While technically I can afford this dog's treatments, it will be the one outstanding luxury that I will have in retirement, can't cut back on him.
Well done, on both the dog rescue and the countdown to FIRE. Since that post I have found some ways to economize on doggie day care (switched my work hours/work some at home), but then there's an upcoming vet dentist visit... However, one thing the dogs do for me that is Mustachy is remind me that the best things, like a walk outside or a couch cuddle, are free.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:12 AM »
I use a Louis Vuitton men's wallet. Cost was $500.

bought as a reward once all my debt was 99% eliminated (now 100%).

my justification at the time was that my weekly paycheck is able to purchase 4, but after having it a few months now I'm starting to really regret it.

:-/

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »
I had been wanting a gun for a year, I finally realized "I had enough" when the person at the counter told me I could pay half then, and half when I picked it up after my background check cleared. I put it the half I "could afford" on credit because I had just enough room left on my card that I wouldn't be overdrafting.

I woke up 3 months later and am now debt free and saving.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »
The most anti-mustachian thing I've ever done is definitely buying a brand-new 2005 RX-8 with 100% financing right out of school.  Was a great car to drive, but sucked gas like nobody's business and cost me over $800/mo in payments!  I sold it several years later for what was owing on it, so at least it didn't ruin my finances completely.

The next car was an '08 Honda Fit, purchased new with 25% down.  Next one (when the Fit is no longer serviceable, so hopefully 10 or more years) will be used and paid for in full.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Argh!  I fell prey to the vending machines today.  Not only is the food/soda completely unhealthy, but it's so expensive!  I spent over 4.50 on soda and junk today.  That's the first time in probably 5 months that I've used the vending machines, and I really hate when I do it!  Plus I gave up caffeine and today I had 32 ounces of caffeinated soda.  I'll be up all night!   

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
Argh!  I fell prey to the vending machines today.  Not only is the food/soda completely unhealthy, but it's so expensive!  I spent over 4.50 on soda and junk today.  That's the first time in probably 5 months that I've used the vending machines, and I really hate when I do it!  Plus I gave up caffeine and today I had 32 ounces of caffeinated soda.  I'll be up all night!

I keep snacks in my office to help me avoid the vending machines.  I make smarter choices...and it plays on my laziness (no need to even get up!). 

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »

I don't wear earrings either (male), but I have considered LASIK and contacts. I don't think I would feel right without my glasses on.

I've worn glasses since I was 8 and they also feel like part of my identity, but I still consider LASIK occasionally.  I mentioned it to my son, who has Asperger's and is often quite blunt without intending to be mean. His response was, "No don't do that, you're ugly without your glasses. It would be good for you, but bad for me." (It did make me laugh pretty hard.)

I'll keep mentioning it to him for an instant facepunch whenever I think about it.  ;-)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
Taking out more in loans than needed for DW's masters degree.

Buying house at peak of market. Last I tried to estimate, values are STILL going down.

Trying to start a high capital, low margin business. (Custom PCs)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2014, 02:50:58 AM »
I also paid about £400 to have my teeth whitened a few years ago and people said I didn't look any different.

I can laugh at that now. ;)

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
When I was in my mid-20s and going through a bad break up, I got really down. Like really down. For several months. During that period, I did probably the most mustachian and least mustachian things of my life.

The break up was in the fall. I had been a smoker for 7 years or so, keeping it more or less in check but after the break up, my smoking increased and had gotten to more than half a pack a day and rising. On New Year's, I decided to quit. I was already miserable and I couldn't imagine being more miserable so it seemed like a good time to quit. About 3 days into the quit, I'd had terrible insomnia and was extra cranky. I realized that I never wanted to feel that bad again. And that if I smoked again, I would have to quit again and so I would feel that bad again.  So I really committed to the quit. And I have stayed quit since. So mustachian.

But some months later, by spring, I was still feeling really down. I felt I needed to do *something* for myself, to start feeling better. So I learned transcendental meditation. Which is truly not anti-mustachian in itself. But the pricetag was. I believe it was in the range of $1300. Which went on my credit card. And was really more than I could afford, given my circumstances at the time.

Eventually, I did start feeling better. The meditation certainly didn't hurt (not sure how much it helped). But man was that ever overpriced!!! I got 2 - 3 sessions with a teacher who assigned me my own mantra and told me how it's done (basically just clearing your mind and repeating the mantra, twice a day, 20 mins each time). So quite anti-mustachian.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
thanks, you just saved me $1300! haha

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
Tonight we went out to dinner to celebrate my brother in law's birthday.  It was really great.  We had 3 bottles of wine (only 4 of 5 of us were drinking) and I ordered steak, because the restaurant was a steakhouse.  Food was awesome!  The waiter came around and we told her what food we wanted and she brought it to our table,  then we split 2 desserts and my wife and I had decaf coffee.  I picked up the check, and I just gave them this plastic card that sits in my wallet and I added a tip to the bill and signed my name...  and that was it!   We had this fantastic meal and  all I did was give them a piece of plastic (which they returned to me!)   It just doesn't seem fair!! 

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »
Tonight we went out to dinner to celebrate my brother in law's birthday.  It was really great.  We had 3 bottles of wine (only 4 of 5 of us were drinking) and I ordered steak, because the restaurant was a steakhouse.  Food was awesome!  The waiter came around and we told her what food we wanted and she brought it to our table,  then we split 2 desserts and my wife and I had decaf coffee.  I picked up the check, and I just gave them this plastic card that sits in my wallet and I added a tip to the bill and signed my name...  and that was it!   We had this fantastic meal and  all I did was give them a piece of plastic (which they returned to me!)   It just doesn't seem fair!!

Ha! Reminds me of my sister's sister - she applied for and then maxed out all of those credit cards she gets in the mail. "It's free money! Why wouldn't I use it?"

A few years later, she files for bankruptcy. I still don't think she gets it.