Author Topic: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?  (Read 245965 times)

athenap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the most Antimustachian thing you've ever done?
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
Damn, where do I start...

Three most egregious:

1) credit card and student loan debt in my 20s. I was fresh off the boat from the country formerly behind the Iron Curtain, formed an impression that thousands of dollars in cc debt is just an American way of life on arrival, and promptly ran up a bunch of cards. Yeah, it was beyond dumb but debt was not a tool or a practice I was familiar with much, until I learned the hard way. Took me good 4 years to get that paid off post graduation. Student loan debt was unnecessary because I got my entire ride in terms of tuition picked up by the nice university (both merit and need aids) but I felt compelled to supplement my part-time job income with Stafford loans to keep self and ex-boyfriend in a style we'd liked to have become accustomed to. Both being in tech, we thought our newly minted graduate salaries will take care of all the debt in 3 months. Ha. Having learned that lesson, my graduate degree was paid fully by employer, so I do learn. Sometimes.

2) Buying 3 "investment" properties almost at the very top of the bubble and mortgaging them to the hilt. While these suckers break roughly even on cash flow and generate a nice tax write off against our W-2 incomes, the amount of work of handling 3 vacation rentals is substantial (that's about 90-100 rentors per year on average for all 3). There's no way to unload these without taking a massive bath, so I have to keep cranking.

3) German car habit. Bought used and on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of models, but completely unnecessary. The latest one was bought about a month before I discovered MMM, and I now may be cured. Will probably unload that one in 10 months when the warranties and such run out.

Starstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
Spending approximately 114% of my monthly income from graduation until several months ago. With luck, I'll have it all paid off in a year though.....

Riceman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
2000 on a double-boiler espresso machine when, since I don't steam milk much at all, I could get a top-of-the-line single boiler (heat exchange) machine for about 1000 dollars.  Or I could compare the machine to my $1.00 Vietnamese coffee press that makes pretty good coffee too...

400 on a coffee grinder, upgrading from a 150 coffee grinder.  Now I use one for espresso and one for french press coffee.

1200 on a suit.  Although this isn't that Anti-M, as it is a fully bespoke suit made in China with amazing materials. And my only other suit is one I purchased 12 years ago when I was in high school.  For job interviews, presentations, tv interviews, etc., it's nice to have one suit that looks fantastic.

elbhdb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
Reached real estate investment goals ($10K a month passive income) and net worth goals a few years early, bought a new Jaguar XJL to celebrate.

El Conquistador

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
I've been frugal most of my life, but I do have um... lapses...
I bought a $25 shot of 25 year-old aged scotch a few years back. It was really good, but was it freakin' five times better than Glensomething?

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
Spent $30 for an omelette and a smoothie at the Fairmount Orchid in Hawaii.

I justified it by telling myself I had eaten only eggs, refried beans, and salad for all the other days on my vacation, and was doing some heavy hiking.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
I married someone I was not at all suited to. He was an attorney. Imagine, if you will, the cost and complexity of the divorce.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
My fiancée got me hooked on the LaCroix water. They are $3.80 for 12 cans. It taste so much better than tap water and it got me off the sodas addiction. I used to be on a 1 soda a day (25cents) at work but now I drink LaCroix because it's so convenient and fizzy. I don't know how to stop even though I know it's so antimustachian. I told the fiancée that she's enabling me because she's the one that buys them most of the time and it's always there in the fridge when I need one. And she gets all the flavors! We have zero debt and saving for FI but I don't know how to beat this addiction.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
My fiancée got me hooked on the LaCroix water. They are $3.80 for 12 cans. It taste so much better than tap water and it got me off the sodas addiction. I used to be on a 1 soda a day (25cents) at work but now I drink LaCroix because it's so convenient and fizzy. I don't know how to stop even though I know it's so antimustachian. I told the fiancée that she's enabling me because she's the one that buys them most of the time and it's always there in the fridge when I need one. And she gets all the flavors! We have zero debt and saving for FI but I don't know how to beat this addiction.

Ah, Megatron: I have the perfect solution for you.  I've been meaning to write it up...  Give me a minute or two...

Edit:

and... here you go
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:07:55 PM by Spork »

SFBayAreaMMGrowers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
1. Trip to France. We were there 16 days and spent a whopping $10,000. That's $700 every single day. We wouldn't give up the experience for the world, but the trips to the farmers markets were way way way more affordable than the restaurants... ouch.

2. Trip to SE Asia. This was a month long, and we still spent less than our trip to France. Go figure.

3. Bought a brand-new Honda Civic GX. Yes, Civics are great cars, but the GX was just out, low-volume, and selling hot. I couldn't bargain the price down as they had a long waiting list for the car. I still bought it. But hey, natural gas is $2.50/gal ^.^

4. I used to spend around $700 a month for food on myself (eating out with the co-workers) before I got married. The married life got us down to slightly a more Mustachian $400 between the two of us. My bike, bought at the same time, cost $1000.

Oh, there's so much more. Other trips, student loans, bust-the-bank treats for parties... fools.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
To list few of the major ones:

Camera and lens that cost more than some used cars.

Audio system that costs more than some new cars.

Used to lease certain German-made car, the lease payments of which could have been used to purchase a new car.

Playing golf for two years to figuer out I suck at that sport.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
Buying a full DJ setup and a couple of hundred records and then finding out I didn't really like it. Boy, I could have done much better things with the money..

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
1. Trip to France. We were there 16 days and spent a whopping $10,000. That's $700 every single day. We wouldn't give up the experience for the world, but the trips to the farmers markets were way way way more affordable than the restaurants... ouch.

I'm impressed. I thought some of my vacations were a bit on the expensive side, but yours are three levels up! How did you manage? Did it include multiple visits to Micheline star restaurants and staying in 400 euros/night hotels? I've been in France many times and it is not a particularly expensive place to travel to.

My own most expensive trip to date was three weeks in US few years ago (Yellowstone and NYC with tickets to USO tennis tournament). I spent about 3,500$. Didn't stay in any fancy hotels or go to expensive restaurant, but airfare, car rental and gas adds up. I don't regret it though, enjoyed the trip very much.

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Oi...   can't believe I haven't posted on here.  Too many stupid mistakes.  Worst one has to be being upside down on a car loan (yes, I know), trading it in and rolling in that amount into a new car loan.  But wait, it's worse...     on a 4WD huge honker SUV, with me being the only passenger most times, to commute 25 miles, it got 11 mpg.  O.O   (RUNS from the face punches being thrown!!!)   (while face punching herself)

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
Well, this weekend I gave my wife a 5 grand piece of jewelry for her  40th birthday.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
Not a big mistake at all, but the other night the girlfriend and I went to one of the most expensive restaurants in the area (which isn't that expensive at all in NC). As a couple in early our early twenties, we were the youngest dining party of the evening by a margin of at least two decades. The waitress almost asked if we were getting engaged.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »
1) Spent $40k on a skydiving trip to Virginia Beach/Norfolk at a military charity auction 4-5 months before I was laid off.... 
Took my husband, brother in law, sister, and dad on the trip last fall.  Sister didn't jump but the rest of us did-my dad was 64 then and said it is the coolest thing he has ever done (and he has literally been all over the globe).  Totally worth it.  I was already FI when I bought the trip (tho I didn't fully realize it!), and I got to deduct over $30k of it from my taxes as a charitable donation, so that gave me a nice tax refund :).   I probably wouldn't have bid for it had I thought my job was at risk, but I don't regret it (although I do sometimes think, 'could have bought another Detroit rental house for that wad of cash.').  Will likely never skydive again (it was SCARY, plus it's expensive & I can get more happiness bang for my bucks from aerial dance & my community pool), but I absolutely LOVED IT! Plus, it really helped with my fear of flying.

2) Had a flying trapeze and aerial dance addiction for ~7 years. $50/lesson for flying trap at 2 lessons/week-ended that 2 yrs ago because a neck injury (from bad ergonomics at my old job, not flying thru the air with he greatest of ease, natch) meant no more bouncing in the net.  Then it was $35 aerial dance classes 2x/week....now I just pay to work out on the aerial apparatus at a circus school, they have open workout times and it's $17.50/workout. I try to go 1x/week (my amateur circus performing is on hold at the momentum, just trying to stay in climbing shape in case inspiration for a new routine strikes soon).

3) I'm too lazy to figure out how to quote, but for the pets comments, I'm there too!  Probably have spent close to $15k on medical expenses for one of my dogs who has an autoimmune disorder.  She's part of my family, it wasn't even a question.  Worth EVERY penny!  And then last fall (about 3 weeks after skydiving) we added to the family with a 'free' dog who promptly needed $800 worth of dental work.  Totally worth it too!
We're not planning on having kids so any time dog stuff gets expensive, I repeat my mantra: 'it's cheaper than college...'

The Dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
Didn't know it at the time but an under age DUI (1 month from my 21st birthday) is the most Antimustachian thing I have ever done.  Fines and ongoing issues have made it a big ticket item.  See the below total.

-  Initial Fine: 2k
-  Additional Cost for car Insurance (for five years): 3k (approximately $50 per month)
-  Temporary Resident Permit (so I can work in Canada (required by my job even though I live in MI I travel a lot)): 1k (200 $/year I need to renew it every year). 

6k and counting.  I will probably need to hire a lawyer to take care of this (see below)

As a side note it is still not taken care of.  I got it in Colorado prior to moving back to MI.  At my hearing (a day prior to leaving) I paid the fine and they said that when I get back to MI and try to get my license they will see that I have outstanding community service an some alcohol class and take care of it in MI.  When I want to the Secretary of State (where MI residents get their driver's license) to get my new license after turning 21 (one month after the incident) I told them about the issue and they said no worries that stuff doesn't transfer over to Michigan.  So according to my record in Colorado there is a class I should take and some community service I would need to take.  However, since this did not transfer over in MI there is no equivalent.  I have called a lot of times to try to figure this out and have had no luck.  I went to get a new license (thought I lost mind (found it 2 days later)) and found out there they can not issue a new one till I get this taken care of in CO (now it does transfer over).  So I am stuck in limbo from all my calls the CO legal system still has open items on me and no one in MI will let me take a class and call it the equivalent to the CO class because they just don't know.  If you guys have any ideas on how to help shoot me a message. 

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
Last year, I bought a 2008 BMW 128i convertible with 34k miles on it.   It's now worth about $21k on a good day.  I owe $24k +

I've had it for sale since February with no takers.  I haven't driven it (aside from a one-off trip to get vehicle inspection at mechanic) since February.  I've spent about $500 in ad costs, etc, just trying to sell the damn thing.

Tonight it is going to Car Lotz, a consignment car sale place (cost - $900 total).  Wish me luck that I'm soon cured of this hangover that will cost me roughly $15k once it is all said and done.

NEVER AGAIN (I now drive a 2007 Prius and LOVE it).

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
The most Anti-M thing I've ever done is:  Have an automotive hobby.

I'm 29 and I've owned (i think) 17 cars and 2 motorcycles.  I've autocrossed/raced in some form or another since approx 2004.

That said, having owned 17 vehicles and driven approx 300K miles, the total depreciation I've suffered during my ownership of all cars has been pretty low.  <$15k for sure.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
I bought a new Honda lawn mower for $385.  Mowed my little lawn with it for less than one year.  Handlebar was too low and the thing I had to squeeze for the drive hurt my wrist.  The self propelling drive conked out about half way through that time, so I was pushing it without the drive after that but it was really heavy.  It was too heavy for my son to push at that point, so he took care of the weed whacking even though he wanted to mow.  I hated dealing with the gasoline and oil.  Then my SO mowed over a big jutting root with it and one of the blades got so bent it wouldn't start again (possibly the drive shaft was also bent.)  I might have been able to get it fixed under warranty, but I was fed up with it at that point.  Unloaded it "as is" on Craigslist for $150.

Mustachianism in my mind would have mandated at least trying to get it fixed before selling it.  But I had just had it with the thing and wanted it gone.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
just bought tickets to see Yoyo Ma play cello, $ 210 for 3 tix.I feel like I have to "confess" even though I'm a swami.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Maxed out a credit card to pay for a 5K cruise because it was a groupon deal and I only had 3 days to buy it.  Couldn't even come close to paying it off, so paid interest on the balance for FIVE MONTHS only to have to cancel the trip because I changed my job and wouldn't have the vacation time available.  Luckily we were able to get a full refund, but I paid a crapload of interest on a trip we didn't even get to take.  The worst part is, we even had a vacation savings account but it didn't have enough because we had just been on a vacation a few months before.

This was all before MMM, but even then I was so angry at myself (and still am)!

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
I've got a list of things:

1.  Owned a boat.  Break Out Another Thousand.  New starter = $750 just for the part.  We ended up doing ok with the boat, though.  It took us to some pretty awesome places in Alaska and we had some great experiences.  Plus we sold it for slightly less than we paid for it in less than 12 hours from the time we advertised it, for CASH.  I felt like pablo escobar on that trip to the bank.  Probably should have asked for more $$.

2.  Student Loans for law school.  I don't regret law school, and I went to a CHEAP state school, but I still maxed out subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans for all three years.  Some of this money was used to pay on car debt and to renovate a house I bought while in law school (it was 2005 when I bought it, the underwriting consisted of checking my pulse).  I did ok on the house when I sold it, but I used the proceeds for a second house which we still own, which leads to . . .

3.  Have a rental property 3,500 miles away.  We bought a house when we moved to Alaska.  When it was time to move away we couldn't sell it for enough money for us to walk away with anything (the proceeds from 2, above), so we decided to rent it instead.  We have had fantastic tenants, but after learning more about real estate investing it is not a great investment.  Plus it is difficult to manage a property form 3,500 miles away.

4.  Own a motorcycle.  I was made an offer I couldn't refuse when I bought it, from a family member.  It's fun, but with 2 kids now I don't ride it enough.

5.  Bought a pickup with little foresight, after dark.  Found a large dent in the bumper in the daylight the next day.  Still have the pickup, and thankfully it's been a fantastic vehicle (except gas mileage).

6.  Chose the longest payback period for my student loans made no effort to accelerate payment for at least 5 years.  Started paying extra on them about 6 months ago, but even with serious effort its going to be at least 2017 before they're gone.

There are probably others that I will think of later.  Live and learn, I suppose.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »
I've been fairly smart with my money (especially compared to average 'Muricans), but I once traded in my perfectly good, paid off car for a new Jeep Wrangler. I loved that Wrangler, but what a waste. It maybe saw dirt a dozen times in the six years I owned it. The only good thing about a Wrangler vs. a different wasteful vehicle (e.g. SUV, sportcar, etc) is that they typically hold their value slightly better. It was still worth a whopping half of what I bought it for (hangs head in shame and defeat).

When I sold it I bought another brand new car (oops, pre-MMM). But I paid cash and got a small, fuel efficient manual hatchback.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
1.  Bought a pickup on credit after college. Argh.

2.  Am knowingly dropping $25-30k on a wedding.  Makes me mad EVERY time I think about it.

3.  Knowingly do things like keep my motorcycle and shoot for a hobby.  They are 2 of my favorite 5 things to do in life so it's been hard giving either hobby up.  If the time comes that I don't enjoy the MC then it's gone, but until then...

Although i do use the MC instead of a car when distances are way too far to bicycle, so its not a total loss I suppose.

SFBayAreaMMGrowers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »
I'm impressed. I thought some of my vacations were a bit on the expensive side, but yours are three levels up! How did you manage? Did it include multiple visits to Micheline star restaurants and staying in 400 euros/night hotels? I've been in France many times and it is not a particularly expensive place to travel to.

My own most expensive trip to date was three weeks in US few years ago (Yellowstone and NYC with tickets to USO tennis tournament). I spent about 3,500$. Didn't stay in any fancy hotels or go to expensive restaurant, but airfare, car rental and gas adds up. I don't regret it though, enjoyed the trip very much.

Airfare and housing was 3200 + 1600, so about half the total cost. Crazy is we tried to save money. We traveled with a friend and split the rent (bringing us down to 1600). We ate at 0 Michelin star restaurants. We shunted the tourist packages and opted for the locals' weekly muni pass. We went to farmers' markets and grocery stores.

However, we also did buy a four-ride pass on their rail network to go anywhere in the country, and we used it well. We bought a couple nice bottles of champagne at a small shop in the middle of Champagne. Though they weren't Michelin starred restaurants, we ate exceedingly well. And we came home with lots and lots of new clothes. Of course, each little splurge we have our own excuses for, but the end of the day, this trip cost us a million pretty pennies.
Airfare: $3200
Housing: $1600

Hugh H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2013, 06:02:07 AM »
Divorce.

Fastest wealth destructor ever.

Lackland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
Grad school. By far. My idealism, optimism, lack of understanding of basic finance and total unpreparedness cost $50K in loan-based tuition, three years' worth of living expenditures, and (hypothetical) lost wages from only working part-time. It was a prestigious-sounding degree, but unfortunately I didn't have the After returning to California, I couldn't get work for a year in anything related to my field, and wound up as the most highly educated person at a warehouse (but hey, it was an elite warehouse). I have a career job now, but the financial damage has been done; of course, this is a pretty common story post 2008.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »
Bought a condo in a HCOLA with my then-boyfriend. With 5% down. In June 2006. Because that's what grown-ups do.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
What is a swami?

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
I know the most anti-frugal thing I've done.

T-Mobile. Using their services and getting into a contract with them has been one of the worst choices I've ever made, because they are terrible.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
What is a swami?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami

It's some sort of acronym like DINKs is, I think. Couldn't tell you what it stands for though, it's not in common use around these parts.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:05 AM »
Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.

From the book of revelation itself.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:36 AM »
Bought a huge house in Jacksonville FL at the height of the market.  Had to short sell it which impacted my credit.  Once my credit started to rebound, bought myself a car (on credit) to celebrate.  Then bought another car a couple months later (on credit) for my son after he totaled my old car.

Ta Da!

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2013, 06:39:51 AM »
Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.

From the book of revelation itself.

That too;)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »
I started flying after college and got my pilots license. I can't quit that shit. It's like crack.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:50 AM »
I started flying after college and got my pilots license. I can't quit that shit. It's like crack.

There seem to be several of us around.  It is crack.  I've been "sober" now for about 20 years (with a few hours of relapses in there, but they were "free".)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
There seem to be several of us around.  It is crack.  I've been "sober" now for about 20 years (with a few hours of relapses in there, but they were "free".)

Ha! I'm actually considering getting my commercial and CFI ratings so I can instruct as a post-FI hobby-job. Then I can justify the expense (that's what I like to tell myself anyways :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »

Ha! I'm actually considering getting my commercial and CFI ratings so I can instruct as a post-FI hobby-job. Then I can justify the expense (that's what I like to tell myself anyways :)

My goal was to do something similar and eventually go full blown ATP.  Both the expense of doing it and awful uncorrected vision eventually made me change my plans.  A buddy that started when I did actually did make it to doing commercial G-V flying.

It was when I was doing instrument rating and flushing about $1000/month down the toilet that I had to re-evaluate.  (And that was at about 1990 prices!)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »

My goal was to do something similar and eventually go full blown ATP.  Both the expense of doing it and awful uncorrected vision eventually made me change my plans.  A buddy that started when I did actually did make it to doing commercial G-V flying.

It was when I was doing instrument rating and flushing about $1000/month down the toilet that I had to re-evaluate.  (And that was at about 1990 prices!)

I'll be honest; the GV flying makes me a little jealous.

I've been pretty lucky, my grandfather (still flying at 83) taught me to fly. It was running me about $40/hr in 2003. I've been pretty good about splitting safety pilot time with people for instrument time to keep the cost down. It is a drain on the ol stache but I love it.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »
Divorce.

Fastest wealth destructor ever.

For me at least, it was worth every dime.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »
I was going to sell it back to the jeweler after we went our separate ways, but given how much it's gone up in value, I'll hold onto it for now to see if a future Mrs. MooreBonds might be willing to accept it, or if she would need a different stone (hopefully not as pricey!).

A lady mustachian here....SELL IT! I wouldn't accept another woman's ring, unless it was your mother's/grandmother's heirloom that she gave to you. Plus, at a value like 33k that I'd be scared to wear it anywhere!

As for me, I was a bit into collecting some memorabilia in high school. Should have not wasted my money on that. I've tried to sell some of it, but not all of it is worth that much anymore.

I also once paid for laser hair removal. That was dumb.

Another vote to sell here. I forbade my man to spend more than $100 on an engagement ring (he got me a lovely garnet), and I'm still thoroughly pleased with the $70 plain gold band I've worn all these years. Also I hate diamonds. What if your Mustachian babe is truly frugal? Sell and invest now; there will be rings out there later if you need one.

My BFF's husband bought her new race wheels for her bicycle instead of a ring when they got engaged. Way more practical. :D

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
When I was in college I paid for another year of polo instead of paying off my credit card debt.

By the time I graduated, the cc debt was over $10K.

*slaps self silly*

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
Ah, Magic the gathering, probably one of the most antimustachian things I was involved in. It didn't take that much money buying packs, but it wasn't worth it in one of the trips I took for a tournament. My sister and her boyfriend got me into the game and I had built one or two decks with the card packs I had bought. I received 200$ from my mom for what was supposed to be a trip to an anime con that we drove 2/3 of the way there and then my friend turned around (big waste of time)
Anyways, they were going on a 2.5 hour trip to the Ravnica tournament. I don't know what the cost to enter was now, but my sister guilt tripped and pressured me into giving her 100 for gas money. I didn't realize how I was manipulated until later but  knew it was wrong I paid her 100. Another 50 was spent on some card that could be used for creating any color mana. What made it a waste was, I was decent/good at the game, but I was sleep deprived going in because of where we stayed the night. We stayed at my sister's bf's house and his mom didn't approve of them sleeping in the same bed (they were 24 and I was 16) Instead  my sister and I shared a room and bed because she said she couldn't sleep on the couch and she whined and huffed and tossed and turned all night .-. ( I don't handle lack of sleep well) I only won 1 of my rounds because it was a kid, and lost horribly playing someone else. I played terribly, had no fun competing, and was out the 200+.
Some time I will need to go through a couple rarer cards and see if I can get a little bit of cash back. They are 1000 miles away right now though.
(gambling too, I'm even on that but I know I'm easily lured to random chance and know to avoid it now)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:33:41 PM by Tempe »

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »
There are the three new cars -
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix -> Traded in in 2004.  Hated it.
2004 Mazda 6 -> Over 100K miles on it.  Love it. Still have it.
2010 Chevy Equinox -> about 33K miles on it.  Wife loves it.

I honestly would feel so bad about it if it weren't for the fact that Grand Prix (GTP version) cost me a crap load in time and gas.  It was a PITA.

The Mazda I am running into the ground, and since I telecommute that won't be too soon. 
The Equinox has come in handy and will also be run into the ground.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
Home Theatre equipment (This is a very slippery slope... I'm really glad I stopped about 2yrs back... funny thing is we hardly watch TV, lol, prob at least $20k over the years)
Tennis equipment / accessories (way too much stuff to count... I always need 4 of everything, prob have about 30+ racquets, looking to upgrade my ball machine ($1200), new stringer ($500).... just keeps going and going... hopefully once i start coaching i can make some money off it :)

HumanCalculator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • crunch... numbers... crunch...
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Spent 5k on a 3 weeks 'relationship'.

Not meeting the right girl right away when I was younger cost me a lot, or that's what I'm trying to tell myself. But I tend to struggle accepting it. Would I have been the person that I am today without all the accumulated experience I got out of the different relationships I was in? I think I became a better partner. I sure had to move across Canada twice, travel with buddies around the world through that quest to find inner peace and to define myself. But it was so worth it in the end, finding the right partner at the right moment in your life is an absolute bliss.

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2013, 11:36:11 PM »
Spent almost $1,000 during the holidays on a credit card. I was lucky that it had a 0% intro period, but I really deserved to be punched in the face for that.