Author Topic: Weddings at Disney  (Read 18751 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Weddings at Disney
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
I guess Disney is now providing wedding options at their locations. I enjoy the experience of Disney World/Land, but would never pay what seem to be ridiculous prices for a wedding there.

For fun I spec'ed out a wedding:

You can do that here if you want, I'm sure you can "beat" that one as I just picked fairly reasonable things: https://www.disneyweddings.com/my-wedding-space/dream-wedding-maker/

More pricing info: https://www.disneyweddings.com/florida/pricing/wishes/

Kind of ridiculous. I guess every wedding there will be crazy expensive.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Weddings at Disney
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
Ugh I saw that on my facebook news feed. Well, we have an entire culture obsessed with being a princess for their wedding, so why NOT go whole hog? *eye roll*.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
You can also have a small wedding there for $5k. Not chicken feed, but not $87.5k either.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »
You can also have a small wedding there for $5k. Not chicken feed, but not $87.5k either.

the memories collection is from $2495 which isnt too bad, though you are only allowed 4 guests

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:30:23 AM »
I went to WDW for a conference in one of the hotels. For kicks I rode their free transit system around to the different hotels to check them out. Tea at the Grand Floridian was $250 per person. And they had a suite (with theme park view!) for $7000 per night.

Jschange

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
I guessed I'd be in the 4-18 category for a destination wedding. I chose 2 upgrades and hit $8500. This was fun!

I don't think I'd do Disney, although my stepson and nieces would love it. But it's an interesting toy and I love that the numbers are easily available.

I basically think any wedding is going to cost what you decide it can cost.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:56:16 AM »
I guess if you are doing a destination wedding or a very small one, it would be a lot more reasonable than I expected.

Where you get killed in cost is if you have tons of people there and so need a bigger venue.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »
Or, you could fly to Scotland and have your wedding in a real castle and play REAL princess for a day, at a quarter of the cost.

Not a Disney fan.

crispy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
I went to WDW for a conference in one of the hotels. For kicks I rode their free transit system around to the different hotels to check them out. Tea at the Grand Floridian was $250 per person. And they had a suite (with theme park view!) for $7000 per night.

No, it isn't.  I have had tea there several times and spent about $75 for my family of four.  It is probably a  little more expensive since the last time we attended a couple of years ago, but is not $250 a person. 

I am a Disney fan, and the first to complain about the prices but things tend to get over-exaggerated by people.  You can spend a lot of money or a little money depending on what you want to do.  You can do a wedding there for under 5K or you can spend a million dollars. They will be happy to accommodate either. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:01:35 PM by crispy »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 01:13:19 PM »

No, it isn't.  I have had tea there several times and spent about $75 for my family of four.  It is probably a  little more expensive since the last time we attended a couple of years ago, but is not $250 a person. 

I am a Disney fan, and the first to complain about the prices but things tend to get over-exaggerated by people.  You can spend a lot of money or a little money depending on what you want to do.  You can do a wedding there for under 5K or you can spend a million dollars. They will be happy to accommodate either. 

The one with characters? I just was reading the sign by the door. You had to sign up in advance. I'm sure you can buy a cup of tea somewhere for a still high but less egregious price.

Here it is: $334 for a child and adult
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/princessess.htm#disneygirl

crispy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

The one with characters? I just was reading the sign by the door. You had to sign up in advance. I'm sure you can buy a cup of tea somewhere for a still high but less egregious price.

Here it is: $334 for a child and adult
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/princessess.htm#disneygirl

That's not high tea that is the Princess Tea Party which is basically a personal character session with some food thrown in. I am pretty sure that each girl gets a doll, a tiara, a bracelet, a rose and a few other things.  It is also for a parent and a child, not per person.  Yes, it is ridiculously expensive, and no, I wouldn't pay for it in a million years, but it is a completely separate thing than high tea at the Grand Floridian.  Disney "extras" like this are often outrageously expensive and are worthy of snark, but I wanted to clarify that there are two separate activities and no one is charged $250 for just a pot of tea and some scones.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:39:13 PM by crispy »

ahoy

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »
Wow... I just don't get spending huge amounts on one day (unless you are very well off). 

Singuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
My wife wanted a Disney Wedding and we had about 90 guests. Not willing to spend 35k, we really worked the system and did a back-door Disney Wedding.  We didn't go through the Disney Wedding planners which required us to have certain photographers and florists. Not to mention it costs $950/30mins for a Disney Character!@!@##$

We ended up buying out a character restaurant in the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin (apparently this hotel carries the Disney name but is NOT part of Disney?!@). 

At the end, the food was menu pricing, meaning 35 dollars/plate for a seafood buffet with included individually plated crab stuffed lobster tails. We had Goofy and Pluto there free of charge. Total out the door cost for the entire wedding was 16.5k (5k spent on food, wine and beer).

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:19:04 PM by Singuy »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
My wife wanted a Disney Wedding and we had about 90 guests. Not willing to spend 35k, we really worked the system and did a back-door Disney Wedding.  We didn't go through the Disney Wedding planners which required us to have certain photographers and florists. Not to mention it costs $950/30mins for a Disney Character!@!@##$

We ended up buying out a character restaurant in the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin (apparently this hotel carries the Disney name but is NOT part of Disney?!@). 

At the end, the food was menu pricing, meaning 35 dollars/plate for a seafood buffet with included individually plated crab stuffed lobster tails. We had Goofy and Pluto there free of charge. Total out the door cost for the entire wedding was 16.5k (5k spent on food, wine and beer).

I like this. I think it's insane the markup wedding events have (I understand why vendors mark things up), and would hate to have this happen if I get married. My dream would be to elope for it and get a quick wedding and then have a reception back here for my parents. My siblings had massive weddings (400+) that were very costly and required a ton of planning and coordination.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:46 PM »

Love it!!! I would never have dreamed that they would offer the space for menu pricing.

We're big Disney fans too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 05:34:42 AM »

I like this. I think it's insane the markup wedding events have (I understand why vendors mark things up), and would hate to have this happen if I get married. My dream would be to elope for it and get a quick wedding and then have a reception back here for my parents. My siblings had massive weddings (400+) that were very costly and required a ton of planning and coordination.

Having a wedding off peak seasons is great for cost too.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
Google Disney-themed wedding dresses.  Yes, you can have a wedding dress kind of like Belle's or Cinderella's -- except that they don't actually look much like the Disney princesses, but you'll know! 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »
Google Disney-themed wedding dresses.  Yes, you can have a wedding dress kind of like Belle's or Cinderella's -- except that they don't actually look much like the Disney princesses, but you'll know! 

Do they only come in sizes for women 5'11", 85 pounds, with 8 inch waists, dainty wrists, and eyes 3x normal size?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »

You have no idea how upset I was when I first saw those dresses and how little they resembled their movie counterparts.

I want Ariel's ballroom dress, dammit! (pink or blue-green, I'll take either one) And Belle's ballroom dress, and Cindy's ballroom dress...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 07:28:57 AM »

You have no idea how upset I was when I first saw those dresses and how little they resembled their movie counterparts.

I want Ariel's ballroom dress, dammit! (pink or blue-green, I'll take either one) And Belle's ballroom dress, and Cindy's ballroom dress...

there is some woman who has all those dresses made because she co plays as disney princesses all  of the time.

maybe she can hook you up with her tailor:

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.ingle.model/

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

Do they only come in sizes for women 5'11", 85 pounds, with 8 inch waists, dainty wrists, and eyes 3x normal size?

I went to high school with a girl who had, huge, blue Disney princess eyes. The first time I saw her, I spent half the class starting at her because they look absolutely otherworldly in person.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »

there is some woman who has all those dresses made because she co plays as disney princesses all  of the time.

maybe she can hook you up with her tailor:

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.ingle.model/

I'm trying to save money for retirement and Thailand, but I'm also insanely jealous.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 11:10:38 AM »

Having a wedding off peak seasons is great for cost too.

The off season thing must regional because we planned a wedding up north during the winter and none of the locations we scouted offered lower pricing during the off season.  In fact, I think most people assumed that we picked winter for better pricing, which probably wouldn't annoy me if we had actually gotten better pricing.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 06:45:45 AM »
The off season thing must regional because we planned a wedding up north during the winter and none of the locations we scouted offered lower pricing during the off season.  In fact, I think most people assumed that we picked winter for better pricing, which probably wouldn't annoy me if we had actually gotten better pricing.

We got something like 10% off for the venue. Not huge but still decent.

Other big savings are on things like photographer and any rental related stuff. Oh and picking whatever date you want, basically :)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Somebody somewhere is planning to hold a wedding at the superbowl half-time

Somebody at the superbowl is trying to work out how to sell this.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 02:22:03 AM »
We're currently planning a destination wedding in on Oahu in Hawaii. Beach wedding. Went through VRBO. Venue on the water 5 bedroom is 550$ a night. We're expecting 30-40 people. It's actually quite in-expensive considering how many people would've had to fly/hotel to where we live in the first place. It's all this wedding planning stuff that I've found to be really obnoxious. It's strange to me how many people look so forward to this event. I'd rather go to the dentist for a couple weeks straight.

I find myself looking forward to spending a lot of time, on a beach, with a lot of drinks and a lot of good friends. The SO has been awesome through all of this so far but she tends to take a lot more on her shoulders than she should. The more expensive things planned in Hawaii are the Group Charter Fishing and the Lua at Black Diamond. The wedding itself I believe is going to wind up costing less.