Author Topic: Wedding Registry  (Read 15734 times)

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
Re: Wedding Registry
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
My wife handled the registry and thank you cards (I signed and wrote a non-gift related note). Only gift I remember is my groomsmen getting me 2 30 pound dumbbells. They were about $70. He knew i wanted them, I was too cheap to buy myself, and I would use them for years to come. He also knew 90% of the registry were things only my wife would use.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't investigate. I don't really care about the gifts and feel it is another unnecessary custom to spend money, but I wouldn't be able to get my numbers mind past analyzing who brought what when if I opened that Pandora's box.

As a guest, I usually send $150 straight cash (more if in party). I think that probably comes close to covering our meals and in the area where it doesn't stand out either way.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »
I think the whole thing with registries is slightly vulgar. The whole concept of planning a wedding budget around part of that being recouped seems to me to be slightly vulgar.

It's sad that weddings are now something to 'show off'. They really should be intimate affairs.

Yep.

I'm that cheap SOB who believes it when the invite says "No gifts. Your presence is enough." Maybe it was said with a wink or a knowing look but how am I to know?

A close friend had a charity registry. It was a generous list of charities that they liked.

I like the charity registry.

Funny how so many of the customs (and holidays) we have involve buying stuff. I'd rather just enjoy people's time and presence.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:38:13 AM by Just Joe »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »
I like a wedding registry. A good one should have things in a range of prices. It gives a good idea of what people actually want.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
A friend was getting married and I saw that there were tea towels and fondue forks that no one bought, so I bought both. Through the grapevine, I found out that people were saying I was cheap.

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh (1) it was on the registry, so you're welcome, and (2) the real gift is the check I give you at your wedding.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
A friend was getting married and I saw that there were tea towels and fondue forks that no one bought, so I bought both. Through the grapevine, I found out that people were saying I was cheap.

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh (1) it was on the registry, so you're welcome, and (2) the real gift is the check I give you at your wedding.

So the wedding hasn't happened yet?  And people are already judging the gift in total?  If those "people" are the couple, I'd be reconsidering some things. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »
When I get married I am having a 'no gifts allowed' policy.

Sigh. Decades ago my parents imsisted on giving a reception after our courthouse wedding, one they put on. I told them I didnt want gifts at all. They took that to mean they should put a statement on the invitation “no gifts please.” Double Sigh, that is tacky. But whatever.

We still got stuff. We also got cash.

It wont work.people are compelled to give unnecessarily.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »
In another twist on this, our local Kiwanis club does an annual "Community Baby Shower" which collects new and gently used baby items for teen moms, new foster moms, young parents in shelters, and even new grandparents in need.  They ask for the usual baby clothes, bottles, diapers, socks and gift cards. 
But to make it easy they have set up a registry at Target so you can do an online donation which they will pick up.  Volunteers then set up an actual baby shower to which these moms/grandparents are invited.  I think it's a great way to help get baby necessities to those in need in the community.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
Talking about outrageous wedding registries, I received an electronic wedding invitation last year:

1) I didn't know the couple and had to ask around town to find out who the bride and groom were.
2) The bride had invited everyone in a several local organizations regardless of how well she knew them (as in took the online mailing lists and spammed everyone, everywhere, repeatedly.)
3) Every communication linked to an online wedding registry site that in addition to traditional items like towels, crockery, furniture & sporting equipment, included; donate $ for the bride's dress, donate $ for the bride's hair, donate for the flowers, on down the list including the photographer, dance lessons, hall rental, honeymoon and home improvements (new windows & a fridge).  I added it all up and the wish list came to over $75,000.

I rounded up some easily entertained friends who had also received invitations and we decided to attend in a gaggle just to see what would happen.  The response to my RSVP was an email asking guests to BYO food & beverages.  As the date got closer, another email arrived asking everyone to BYO a chair.  I considered that plus a modest gift off the registry well worth the price of admission to see a bunch of well dressed total strangers mill about awkwardly carrying chairs and covered dishes waiting to be herded into a group photo.  The Bride and Groom didn't bother to greet any of us during the reception and were heard to complain that the guests had started eating the food before they had a chance to get first pick. 

I'm a huge fan of only having the size wedding you can afford, so I have no issue with the BYO food, beverages & seating arrangements. I happily brought all three.  I can even see the logic behind asking for cash donations for the flower girl's dresses and the gifts for the best men.  My complaint?  The bride recently started posting items for sale on a local buy/sell website (that many of us also belong to).  You get one guess as to what she's selling off....

Update on this couple: I heard this morning from a reliable source that the couple have split up. This news comes less than one year after the wedding.

Edited to add: I checked the on-line registry.  Its still live if you want to get the couple a lovely parting gift.

that would be nice to share...

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »

So the wedding hasn't happened yet?  And people are already judging the gift in total?  If those "people" are the couple, I'd be reconsidering some things.

This was years ago, but yes, we were judged by idiots.

More recently, some relatives are getting married and doing a no-kids wedding at a venue I can't get to at that time. The bride and her siblings were at my wedding as kids, but that's how I wanted my wedding - at a fancy venue, and with kids. [*cough cough, I didn't pay for it]

When I heard they were paying for it themselves, I handed the couple $500 and let them know I'll hate to miss it, but it looks like I'll have to.

Honestly, I won't be missed by these family member, and my not showing up is a help to the young couple.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:31:31 AM by A Fella from Stella »

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
During the NCAA Tournament in March, word got out that University of Virginia player Kyle Guy and his fiancee had to take down their wedding registry because UVA fans apparently were buying them stuff and this was an NCAA violation. There was much back and forth about whether or not this was the case.

Kyle Guy goes on to lead UVA to the national title and is named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. He goes pro early and is drafted by the Sacramento Kings in the second round. He's getting married this weekend. Looking at their registry -- and they have them for Amazon, Crate & Barrel and others, and what's been purchased, it's clear that he's either having a huge wedding (unlikely because it's in Hawaii) or fans have jumped back on his registry.

https://registry.theknot.com/alexa-jenkins-kyle-guy-july-2019-hi/23573211

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »

More recently, some relatives are getting married and doing a no-kids wedding at a venue I can't get to at that time. The bride and her siblings were at my wedding as kids, but that's how I wanted my wedding - at a fancy venue, and with kids. [*couch couch, I didn't pay for it]

When I heard they were paying for it themselves, I handed the couple $500 and let them know I'll hate to miss it, but it looks like I'll have to.

Honestly, I won't be missed by these family member, and my not showing up is a help to the young couple.

Years ago, for my (now) SIL's wedding gift I bought a bedspread (I think it was $120 or more, and we also gave $100 cash) from a trendy store.  My Mother in law saw it the week before, when I showed it to her (I was young!  Stupid me), and told me that SIL would not like it. Even now, I think SIL would have liked it just fine (it was neutral) and it was not MIL's taste, but...  So I gave it to my nephew for Christmas instead and did not increase the cash portion of the gift to SIL. 

People judging gifts (even gifts not intended for them) just results in less gifts given.   Man, if someone ever complained about a gift I gave or there were rumours, I would cheefully offer to take it back for them, cheefully accept it and not return with something else or more cash.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »

More recently, some relatives are getting married and doing a no-kids wedding at a venue I can't get to at that time. The bride and her siblings were at my wedding as kids, but that's how I wanted my wedding - at a fancy venue, and with kids. [*couch couch, I didn't pay for it]

Years ago, for my (now) SIL's wedding gift I bought a bedspread (I think it was $120 or more, and we also gave $100 cash) from a trendy store.  My Mother in law saw it the week before, when I showed it to her (I was young!  Stupid me), and told me that SIL would not like it. Even now, I think SIL would have liked it just fine (it was neutral) and it was not MIL's taste, but...  So I gave it to my nephew for Christmas instead and did not increase the cash portion of the gift to SIL. 

People judging gifts (even gifts not intended for them) just results in less gifts given.   Man, if someone ever complained about a gift I gave or there were rumours, I would cheefully offer to take it back for them, cheefully accept it and not return with something else or more cash.

... and never bother them in the future with a similar gift.

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
I think it's a generational thing. My mom is DEMANDING that we have a registry, but fiance and I have lived together for 5 years and already have everything we need. I'd rather have no registry, but my mom doesn't want to field all of our relatives' inevitable phone calls asking what we want, so I suggested making a registry to fund our honeymoon (allowing guests to pay for a dinner, part of an activity, part of our flights, etc.).  Mom is adamant that that's "tacky." I don't understand how that's any less tacky than asking for completely unnecessary home goods? Sighhhhh

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »
I think it's a generational thing. My mom is DEMANDING that we have a registry, but fiance and I have lived together for 5 years and already have everything we need. I'd rather have no registry, but my mom doesn't want to field all of our relatives' inevitable phone calls asking what we want, so I suggested making a registry to fund our honeymoon (allowing guests to pay for a dinner, part of an activity, part of our flights, etc.).  Mom is adamant that that's "tacky." I don't understand how that's any less tacky than asking for completely unnecessary home goods? Sighhhhh

Def. Also, your mom may be thinking I gave and gave, and now my child gets some of it back. I've heard it said that you will be given a lot of gifts at your wedding, and will slowly pay them back over 20-30 years.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »

Def. Also, your mom may be thinking I gave and gave, and now my child gets some of it back. I've heard it said that you will be given a lot of gifts at your wedding, and will slowly pay them back over 20-30 years.

Or, pay them forward to the next generation. I think that's how the theory goes. In practice, the people who get the most gifts are often the ones who end up *not* acknowledging other people's milestones.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »

We went through demands by our elders. Tacky was a word used. People's expectations was another. We encouraged not to register for ordinary home things b/c we were told that people expected to buy formal gifts.

You do you. Maybe ponder your elder's guidance but times change. My elders were all about special clothes, silver and porcelain, and long white gloves up to the ladys' elbows, etc etc.

We didn't need or want those things. Looking back we should gently stood our ground better.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
Sometimes you can shift the "traditionalists" towards furniture on a registry.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
Does anyone really want to receive an invitation to / attend another person’s wedding? Be honest. I kind of think most people would rather do something else with their time and money. Not that they can’t be happy for the couple and share the joy verbally and maybe look at some photos after the fact. But wedding ceremonies in whatever form are very intimate moments in people’s lives. Or should be. I’m always rather embarrassed to be witnessing it.

I love weddings. I will happily go to everything single wedding I can. Getting dressed up, hanging out with old friends or family, breaking it down on the dance floor. I am here for ALL OF IT.

I generally don't, but my wedding was very important to me, and about 180 people came and gave generously. Because of this, I have a debt to pay back/forward.

And so, I write checks in the range of $250-500, depending on the relationships, and how much they're parents have given to me and my kids.

A couple months back I was at a baby shower for a cousin who has been a snot, to put it kindly. But her parents never forget to send my kids $50 every birthday. On the bright side, it was a VERY GOOD shower, and by VERY GOOD, I mean there was a bottle of 12 year old scotch.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »
Does anyone really want to receive an invitation to / attend another person’s wedding? Be honest. I kind of think most people would rather do something else with their time and money. Not that they can’t be happy for the couple and share the joy verbally and maybe look at some photos after the fact. But wedding ceremonies in whatever form are very intimate moments in people’s lives. Or should be. I’m always rather embarrassed to be witnessing it.

I wouldn't attend anyone's destination wedding, but in general I like weddings.  I see them as a community and family celebration of two people joining, not as some painfully intimate thing.  Obviously the couple has their own very intimate moments, but the actual wedding is a celebration for the people in their community.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
If your question is specific to the ceremony, not the reception, then I definitely am up for attending for people I know well.   The witnessing the rite in front of your community is very important to the act of marriage.  That is the important part.

I like a good meal and party, too!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
I love attending weddings of friends. It is a way to celebrate with them an important milestone in their lives. That said I don't generally attend weddings where I have to travel/fly to get there as I have limited annual leave and vacation funds.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
I think a wedding registry where guests can share what they are gifting with other guests is a useful custom.  It helps prevent getting 6 microwaves instead of 6 different gifts.  I can see the use in that.

I think a wedding registry where the couple tells people what they want is disgusting.  I would be embarrassed beyond belief if my fiancé were to do something like that.  If they had such a sense of entitlement to other people's money that they put forward that list for others to see, I think I call off the wedding.   That's how much it disgusts me.

It seems like our cultural and commercial systems are set up for the latter, even if your intention is to provide your guests with the former. Is that not the case? How are you handling this question?

(As for the OP... perhaps she felt obligated to provide her guests with many options? Surely she does not actually expect or want three different knife sets? Surely???)

How did we handle it?   We invited people to our wedding without any expectation of gifts from anyone.    And we said thank you for everything we received.   That's the sum total of what we did to handle it.

Agreed. I wouldn't waste my life energy listing all that crap on a store registry.

But as to the OP, Because I love my rice cooker and I think it’s a wonderful invention, I might just pony up to buy a rice cooker for someone. But my own rice cooker was closer to $45. And the instapot I have at our weekend house was $12.00 at the thrift store.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:28:04 AM by iris lily »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »

I think the reason lots of people think honeymoon registries are tacky is because most (all?) are kind of a sham.  If I click on the button to pay $250 for a day of scuba diving, most just give the couple $250 in cash.  So it feels somewhat akin to registering for a bunch of housewares with the intent to just return them for cash.  And I think some people, especially older people, like to imagine a BIFL gift that you will look at 20 years from now and think, "ah, aunt Susie gave us that lovely cut crystal vase"!

You might consider a charity registry, if that would appease both your mom and your minimalism.  Or a charity registry along with a modest "traditional" registry, so that the sticklers in the bunch can at least get you something that might be useful (new towels to replace the fraying ones, a nice picture frame that is actually your taste and can hold a wedding photo, even if it it's way more than you'd usually spend on a frame, etc.). 

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »

I think the reason lots of people think honeymoon registries are tacky is because most (all?) are kind of a sham.  If I click on the button to pay $250 for a day of scuba diving, most just give the couple $250 in cash.  So it feels somewhat akin to registering for a bunch of housewares with the intent to just return them for cash.  And I think some people, especially older people, like to imagine a BIFL gift that you will look at 20 years from now and think, "ah, aunt Susie gave us that lovely cut crystal vase"!

You might consider a charity registry, if that would appease both your mom and your minimalism.  Or a charity registry along with a modest "traditional" registry, so that the sticklers in the bunch can at least get you something that might be useful (new towels to replace the fraying ones, a nice picture frame that is actually your taste and can hold a wedding photo, even if it it's way more than you'd usually spend on a frame, etc.).
Agreed- and if someone pays for a dolphin experience they’re going to expect you use it for that, but if you don’t get enough for flights and stuff the extras like excursions may get cut.  It’s literally asking for cash, which everyone already knows is a good gift.  Plus a check or cash goes 100% to you, where a honeymoon registry takes a cut.

For couples who don’t need much I would recommend a small registry of things you’d like but don’t have yet or would like to upgrade from college-ware to high quality long lasting items.  That satisfies the people who insist on giving a physical gift and would otherwise show up with a crystal vase you’ll never use, and most people are smart enough to realize if you don’t need much that cash would be best.  I just was in a wedding where the couple did this and they mostly got cards with checks in them.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »
Mom:  You MUST have a registry.
Me: But we don't need anything.
Mom:  What about china?
Me: Oooh, We'd love to go!
Mom: ...

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »

Thanks! We'll probably do this. It even got mom's approval lol

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
My ex-wife and I were completing college and moving from one state to another.  We had a wedding registry and very little to our name.  But it was a simple one for starting our new lives together.  Towels, sheets, blankets, toaster, cookware, silverware, etc.  We were thankful to our friends and relatives.

Yep, this was us.  Both of us had recently graduated college and had nothing.   So basic household items, linens is what was on the list.