Author Topic: Wedding on the cheap. You only need to pay $1,500. "You" meaning "guest".  (Read 8981 times)

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This story sounds hard to believe.

The bride saved up $15,000 for a wedding, but wanted a Kardashian-style fairytale wedding, so wanted guests to pay $1,500, each, or $60,000 in total. A psychic recommended they choose this expensive wedding option.

She's from my country.

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6101095/Canadian-Susan-cancels-extravagant-60-000-wedding-guests-refused-fork-1-500.html

Even more hilariously, a story I saw this story while "researching" this post:

Kids are spending hundreds on personal stylists for back-to-school shopping

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/08/27/kids-are-spending-hundreds-on-personal-stylists-for-back-to-school-shopping.html

hal12marls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
There's so much wrong here that I don't even know where to start... It just keeps getting worse as I keep reading.

joleran

• Bristles
I don't think one facepunch is going to be enough here.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
I read the whole thing with increasing fascination.  I think the cherry on top is that someone whose stated goal is "to be a Kardashian for a day" thinks a Vegas wedding is tacky.

On the positive side, she & her ex-fiance seem to have maintained a fair amount of discipline over the years, saving $15k, finishing school, and raising their child. Maybe if she can get over her wedding mania there's actually hope.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
So maybe these are the kids of the very wealthy? Not our kids. Not the kids we know. Ordinary clothes and ordinary school supplies. On sale hopefully.

As for the wedding. Nope. Not buying a ticket to attend. I'd send a congratulations card and money gift. Best of luck for them. We're perhaps a bit gun shy as we've been burned by expensive weddings in the past.

There was a wedding out of state that we were invited to. At the last second the event was canceled. Our reservations could not be canceled and refunded. So we went without the wedding party. Nice trip but an unnecessary expense. He and she were on again/off again before they broke it off completely. We attended a wedding with a different bride on his arm some time later, also out of town. This one seemed to stick.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:56:33 AM by Just Joe »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/08/27/kids-are-spending-hundreds-on-personal-stylists-for-back-to-school-shopping.html

Between this, Fortnite coaches, SAT prep tutors, and many more things I scared for the world my siblings are raising their kids in.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
What qualifications does one need to be a children's stylist? Because I would totally take a kid clothes shopping for $200/hour, and I think do a good job at it. But I'd probably have to start dressing my own kids fashionably to prove my skills, and one is currently wearing a Pegasus dress with gray leggings and sparkly light-up high tops, and the other is wearing a black and white tiger-print shirt with a striped pink sweater, so...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache

Between this, Fortnite coaches, SAT prep tutors, and many more things I scared for the world my siblings are raising their kids in.
Are they raising their kids in the world of Manhattan socialites? None of these things are really "things" in most parenting circles (except maybe SAT prep tutors).

sol

• Walrus Stache
I also enjoyed this bridezilla story, when it popped up yesterday.

The best parts, IMO:

"I specifically asked for cash gifts.  How could we have OUR wedding that WE dreamed of without proper funding?" 

"Our request for $1500 for all other guests was not fucking out of the ordinary."

When her fiance suggested a cheaper Vegas wedding, "Am I some hooch piece of fucking trash, a hooker?"

When her maid of honor suggested she should just stay within her budget, "I called her a filthy fucking poor excuse for a friend, and hung up."

And the tl:dr summary she wrote herself, "Just fucking give me money for my wedding.  I won't even sugar coat."

Um, yea.  Dodged a bullet on that one, bro.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Well the ex still has a child in common, so likely stuck with the nut case for awhile.

Hard to believe true story though!  Had to just start laughing at the insanity.

charis

• Magnum Stache

Are they raising their kids in the world of Manhattan socialites? None of these things are really "things" in most parenting circles (except maybe SAT prep tutors).

Yeah, this may be a thing in the world of private Manhattan preschools and ivy league prep schools, but...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
I read the whole thing with increasing fascination.  I think the cherry on top is that someone whose stated goal is "to be a Kardashian for a day" thinks a Vegas wedding is tacky.

Indeed. Later on when she asks whether she's "a piece of trash, a hooker" she says it like she thinks it's a bad thing.

Seriously: if she wants to be a Kardashian for a day, why not just put on a ton of eye makeup and butt pads, make a sex video, and post at least some of the results on social media? That pretty much has all the bases covered for just a fraction of the cost.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
What qualifications does one need to be a children's stylist? Because I would totally take a kid clothes shopping for $200/hour, and I think do a good job at it.

My mother would gladly have paid $200 an hour for someone else to take me shopping.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
I've seen this one doing the rounds.

I wonder if the Astrologer doubles as a travel agent....

"Yes ma'am, I highly recommend you upgrade to the deluxe package... once in a lifetime, go mad!"

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache

The best parts, IMO:

"I specifically asked for cash gifts.  How could we have OUR wedding that WE dreamed of without proper funding?" 

"Our request for $1500 for all other guests was not fucking out of the ordinary."

When her fiance suggested a cheaper Vegas wedding, "Am I some hooch piece of fucking trash, a hooker?"

OK, so you had a child out of wedlock and your aspirational model are the Kardashians, not to be too judgey but neither of those things are classy and maybe you should embrace your inner trashiness. Ordering your guests to front cash to pay for your wedding, ultimate in classlessness.

Don't get me wrong. When I got married we eloped. I would have totally done a Niagra Falls or Las Vegas wedding, but they were too expensive. Otherwise getting married by an Elvis Impersonator and ending up on either a heart shaped or rotating bed with mirrors on the ceiling at the end of the night, sounds awesome.

The Guru

• Bristles
Oooh! Oooh! I know! Can I answer this one?

WITH YOUR MONEY

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
A local psychic told us to go with the most expensive option, and we thought why the hell not?' Susan explained.

If only that psychic had some way of knowing that the plan would backfire disastrously and ruin the engagement. Like if she had some way of predicting the future, for example...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
A local psychic told us to go with the most expensive option, and we thought why the hell not?' Susan explained.

If only that psychic had some way of knowing that the plan would backfire disastrously and ruin the engagement. Like if she had some way of predicting the future, for example...

Maybe she was nudging a bothersome client in that direction on purpose.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
Psychics generally give out advice or information what the person is "looking for" (you will win the lottery, you will have that baby you are trying for). So she just told them what they wanted to hear. Though I think it is really funny the idea of psychic messing with someone, esp someone they didn't like.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
She says her 3-year-old client is being prepped for interviews at preschools, a process that also involves thousands of dollars of coaching.

OMG
What happens to kids with special needs in this kind of culture? Or even just kids who mature a little slower and don't respond so well to "coaching" at the age of 3?

A while ago I read about the crazy competitive private elementary schools in Shanghai. Basically preschool age kids prepped for years, all day every day, for the interviews. 5 and 6 year olds had to answer questions that many adults wouldn't even know. Their schedules were so full that they never had time to play. One kid was so stressed he developed childhood tourettes. Because of this he got rejected by all the schools, and instead of sending him to a regular public school, his family decided that the best thing to do was to send him and his mom to Spain to attend school there O.O

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker

Even SAT prep tutors are not a "thing" in most of the country. People really need to get outside their bubbles if they think this shit is normal.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wedding on the cheap. You only need to pay $1,500. "You" meaning "guest".
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Stupid, entitled woman. Can't imagine what the ex was thinking but at least he's seen the light now.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »

The best parts, IMO:

OK, so you had a child out of wedlock and your aspirational model are the Kardashians, not to be too judgey but neither of those things are classy and maybe you should embrace your inner trashiness.

I didnt realise having a child out of wedlock made you trashy?

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »
Going to weddings is already super expensive! Between flights, hotels, rental cars, food, and a gift it can be a pricey endeavor attending a friend's wedding. Add to that the fact that it seems like weddings happen in waves, last year I went to five! I kind of wish someone would have said "$1500 cash gift required" in the invitation so I wouldn't have felt the slightest bit of guilt in not attending...Thanks for making it easy to not attend your wedding!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »

The best parts, IMO:

OK, so you had a child out of wedlock and your aspirational model are the Kardashians, not to be too judgey but neither of those things are classy and maybe you should embrace your inner trashiness.

I didnt realise having a child out of wedlock made you trashy?

Sadly still seems to be a prevalent attitude in America... I once saw a guy from Europe start a thread because he wanted advice on finances and mentioned that he and his girlfriend were expecting a baby... immediately several American forum members came in and chastised him, telling him he should make an honest woman out of his girlfriend and marry her lol.

Back on topic, pretty sure this article is fake news. Ridiculousness aside, the cousin in the story says the woman has never been out of the US, but the woman is Canadian.

I find the article about personal stylists for kids more alarming, as that one is actually real.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
I'm 50 years old. During the time I grew up, raising a child out of wedlock not looked at as anything you would do on purpose, or charitably, not an ideal situation. I'm cool with being labeled old fashioned and non pc, but I don't see having a baby with your baby daddy, and then deciding to get married in a lavish wedding you can't afford, as being particularly "classy". I WOULD feel differently if it was a wedding they could afford.  As my Mom said once "I want you to go to school, have children, get married to the man of your dreams- NOT in that order!" 

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
The bride saved up $15,000 for a wedding, but wanted a Kardashian-style fairytale wedding, so wanted guests to pay $1,500, each, or $60,000 in total. A psychic recommended they choose this expensive wedding option.

I can't believe her selfish and cheap friends wouldn't help pay for the wedding she deserves and is entitled to. Hope she cut them out of her life. When you ask people to cough up the cost of your wedding, you find out who your friends really are.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »

I can't believe her selfish and cheap friends wouldn't help pay for the wedding she deserves and is entitled to. Hope she cut them out of her life. When you ask people to cough up the cost of your wedding, you find out who your friends really are.

The nerve of them! They prevented her from having the wedding of her dreams and even the marriage afterwards

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Back on topic, pretty sure this article is fake news. Ridiculousness aside, the cousin in the story says the woman has never been out of the US, but the woman is Canadian.

NEVER underestimate the lack of geographical knowledge of the stereotypical US citizen.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
Pay for the wedding now, maybe they'll hold a GoFundME BBQ to seek a deposit on their next home purchase. And then ask for the funds to renovations where they throw out the white granite countertops in favor of the black granite countertops, and the "plain" stainless appliances in favor of the black stainless steel appliances.

Saving up money and living within your means is for the peasants. ;)

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 06:15:29 AM »
I enjoyed that story thoroughly.  That said, I do think it is fake.  If all the parties are meant to be Canadian (if the bride is then her closest friends / family are likely also Canadian), then how did one of them screencap this in Facebook on Verizon.  There is no Verizon in Canada.  If there were, this would be national news because of how tightly regulated telecom is in Canada. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »
Apparently everything has melted down into a churning maelstrom of butthurt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6101095/Canadian-Susan-cancels-extravagant-60-000-wedding-guests-refused-fork-1-500.html

Like the Titanic, but drier.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
I really hate that multiple sources published this story explicitly as being “true” without any evidence and without putting any energy into verifying it, despite it being tremendously suspiciously fake-sounding.

When I first read it, it seemed off, but the article used language that very clearly implied it to be a verified true story, when really, it’s just a random screen shot. Since when is a random screen shot of a likely fake rant newsworthy??

Apparently a relative of the bride in question did in fact weigh in.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 03:30:40 AM »
I really hate that multiple sources published this story explicitly as being “true” without any evidence and without putting any energy into verifying it, despite it being tremendously suspiciously fake-sounding.

When I first read it, it seemed off, but the article used language that very clearly implied it to be a verified true story, when really, it’s just a random screen shot. Since when is a random screen shot of a likely fake rant newsworthy??

Apparently a relative of the bride in question did in fact weigh in.

They weighed in saying this Canadian bride has never been out of the U.S. (instead of saying she has never been out of Canada). So if anything this so-called weighing in gives it even less plausibility.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »
If it is real then let the bride's grown up education start with her wedding.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »
This kind of outrageous story, with no journalistic verification and only first names used, seems typical to me of low-market British and German tabloids. Maybe it's true of other countries, too, I just haven't had much experience with tabloids elsewhere.