Author Topic: We won $1000  (Read 4349 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
We won $1000
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
I visited a friend last night - they were ecstatic, because they had just won $1000 in an online quiz. Later in the night the husband managed to buy a special numberplate for his car for $690.

"Now we have $310 left!!! What can I buy for that?"

farmstache

• Stubble
Re: We won $1000
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Oh the facepunch!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
That reminded me of the recent $100k winning of an Oregon man in Oregon's Second Chance drawing for losing scratchoffs.  The guy had a stack of them, registered and ended up winning.  Then there is this: 
After taxes, Colburn took home around $67,000. He said the money will go toward buying new cars for his family.
  Brilliant!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Last year we had a centenary and 100 special number plates were produced and auctioned off - one was sold for $10,000. The funds raised go to charity. So, yes, it is special, but no, it doesn't say anything interesting. I assume that this is one that no-one wanted or something.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
I'm going to get a special plate (black legacy plate) for CA for $50. Waste of money. This doesn't make me feel less silly for it, but it does make me feel... slightly superior.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
Everytime I hear of personalized nameplates all I can think of is ASSMAN

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Ugh, this reminds me of my in-laws.  When we were teenagers, the local radio station had this promo going on for years, where if they called you, and you said a particular phrase, they would give you $1,000.  If they called and your machine picked up, & you had that message recorded, you would also win.

Well, my hubby recorded that phrase on the home answering machine, and the radio station did call, so b/c of HIS effort, his parents won $1K.  This was about 21 years ago, so $1K went a lot farther back then.

His parents have never been good w/money, even though they have had every opportunity to get ahead in life.  Poster children for consumerism, those two!  Anyhow, what did they do w/the windfall?  They went to the travel agent and got a week long vacation to Jamaica out of it.  They left my hubby home alone, w/grandma checking in on him and feeding him.  My hubby shrugs it off, saying that not having them at home for a week was worth it to him, but I'm still shocked that they never once thought to give him a portion of the money, or maybe set it aside for his college education or something.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
LOL,

This one hits close to home, my sister won $100k like 15 or so yrs ago.  In Canada there is little to no tax on lotto winnings.

- $10k to parents (bought a car and some other terrible "assets")
- $20k mortgage payment on home (decent but why not a bigger amount?)
- $30k on 2 cars (both my sister and bil had decent cars already)
- $40k on vacations over the years ranging from $2-5k

Not a single cent in the market not a single cent to childrens education fund or even their RRSP (401k).

Of course my sister and bil have had issues with money over the yrs, lol.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »
Did you hear the one about they guy who couldnt afford personalized plates? He changed his name to QEH-159.

How did they win money by taking a survey? I would wait until i had that cash in hand before I started spending it.