Author Topic: We flummoxed the clerk by paying cash  (Read 15929 times)

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
We flummoxed the clerk by paying cash
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
Hubby had to have about $800 worth of dental work done. So when he went to pay, the clerk said, "What kind of payment plan do you want to be on?" and then proceeded to detail all sorts of plans and options ranging from 90 days to two years. All charge interest of varying degrees; nothing is 0%. Hubby replies, "Uh, well, I'm just going to pay cash, if that's okay? Now?"

Silence from the clerk. Then she says. "Huh. No one's ever offered that before. "Thank you," and she proceeded to take the check written against the HSA and show it to the other clerk in the office. "Hey, he paid in full," she says. Hubby's getting a little embarrassed and the other clerk says, "Seriously. You're like the first to never use a payment plan for this much money"

Now what gets me is that we live in a fairly affluent area. Lots of professionals, etc. And this practice has been around for at least ten years and it's not a dental school or a practice that takes a lot of poverty-level clients. So how is it that no one around here in at least ten years has never paid cash for their dental work and they all take some sort of interest bearing payment plan? Good grief.

SweetLife

• Bristles
Re: We flummoxed the clerk by paying cash
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
I paid debit for a recent physiotherapy appointment after the receptionist said that I could wait until I got the cheque from my insurance company ... the look on her face was priceless !!!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
From the thread title, I thought for sure you were going to plop down 8 $100 bills.  It's way worse that they've never even gotten a check for $800.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »
A similar thing just happened to me with my dermatologist. I had a $1066 bill, and they were shocked when I said I would pay it in full that day. I used my HSA debit card, and they politely told me that their payment plan typically has lower interest than a credit card. With so many people on HDHPs, you'd think this would be more common.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
Yeah, paying with a check isn't paying cash.

That said, I've delayed paying for things directly from my HSA, simply because I try not to take anything out of it.  I use the HSA as another retirement account, and pay out of pocket, and I can typically take up to 90 days to pay without interest.  So I can actually understand why professional people don't pay immediately; 90 days that really is interest free is, basicly, free money.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »
I usually wait for the bill just to make sure everything was charged appropriately.  Medical bills are NOTORIOUS for billing errors.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Good for you both! I hope to have enough to have an HSA one day...

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
I pay out of pocket for my cat's insulin which is $250.  The copay on one of my medications for two months is $90.  Every time I pick up either the clerk will sheepishly tell me the balance and ask if I knew it was going to be that much.  I always say yes, I was expecting that and proceed to pay.  She is always stunned.  What's sad is I could walk into any shoe store and spend the same amount of money with no one blinking an eye but it seems crazy to some to pay that much for medicine. 

I agree it would be better if the cost of medicines were less but I'm glad I can afford them.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
Our local dentist only 5 mins down the road doesn't take our insurance.  That's the insurance company's fault-they won't work with a small independent dentist office.  But I've gone there my entire life and it's 25 minutes closer than the next closest office.  So we pay the full bill for everything.  This February, we had just gotten the Citi 2% cash back rewards card, so we put about $400 worth of dental work (cleanings, xray, and something for dh) on the card.  The dentist took one look at us and took $50 off for the "young couple's discount".  I was very thankful to her for it, since we're killing our student loan debt right now.  But I'm certain she did it because she didn't think we have the money to cover it.  So I'm considering taking a checkbook next time just so we don't look poor enough that we need a discount in order to go to the dentist.  I think the entire staff of that office thinks we put our visits on credit cards and pay 25% interest on it or something.  I go next week, we'll see what happens when I pull out my credit cart again.  If the same thing happens, I'll take a checkbook for every future visit.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
Our local dentist only 5 mins down the road doesn't take our insurance.  That's the insurance company's fault-they won't work with a small independent dentist office.  But I've gone there my entire life and it's 25 minutes closer than the next closest office.  So we pay the full bill for everything.  This February, we had just gotten the Citi 2% cash back rewards card, so we put about $400 worth of dental work (cleanings, xray, and something for dh) on the card.  The dentist took one look at us and took $50 off for the "young couple's discount".  I was very thankful to her for it, since we're killing our student loan debt right now.  But I'm certain she did it because she didn't think we have the money to cover it.  So I'm considering taking a checkbook next time just so we don't look poor enough that we need a discount in order to go to the dentist.  I think the entire staff of that office thinks we put our visits on credit cards and pay 25% interest on it or something.  I go next week, we'll see what happens when I pull out my credit cart again.  If the same thing happens, I'll take a checkbook for every future visit.

Why?  Do you really want to pay more for services than you have too?  And the reason may not be what you think.  I've paid out-of-pocket for medical services on many occasions in my life, and I've found that cash-at-time-of-service typically comes with a strong discount compared to pay-later-through-an-aggravating-beuracracy.  If she is giving it to you unprompted, it's likely she gets something out of it also, and may not be doing it because she feels sorry for you.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
FWIW, I pay in full at the time of dental service. The dentist always gives me 10% off which is listed as a "Professional Discount." She does not think I am poor, I assure you.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Why?  Do you really want to pay more for services than you have too?  And the reason may not be what you think.  I've paid out-of-pocket for medical services on many occasions in my life, and I've found that cash-at-time-of-service typically comes with a strong discount compared to pay-later-through-an-aggravating-beuracracy.  If she is giving it to you unprompted, it's likely she gets something out of it also, and may not be doing it because she feels sorry for you.

This has also been my experience. We don't have dental insurance (the numbers don't work if you have to pay for it as an individual) and get a 10% discount, plus they usually skip services that are only required as proof for the insurance company (additional x-rays, for example), which saves another large percent.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
For regular cleanings I'm pretty sure dental insurance is more expensive than 'cash' - so if you have good teeth, strongly consider going without insurance.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
I always pay cash for my dental work.  I only get a 5% discount.  Most of the time I actually give them 50s or 100s, they don't seem to phased by it now.  I did use a check to pay for my implants though.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
Good for you both! I hope to have enough to have an HSA one day...

Anyone can benefit from an HSA. There are two basic strategies for them:
1) If you can afford to max out all of your retirement accounts and do taxable investing besides, contribute to the HSA and don't withdraw a cent until you retire. Instead pay for your medical bills with post-tax funds and save the receipts so you can take some tax-free money out of the HSA when you're retired.
2) If you can't afford to max out all of your retirement accounts, contribute to an HSA anyway. Instead of letting the money compound, pay any medical bills directly out of the HSA. Take the savings you get from avoiding tax on your medical expenses, and use it to make higher retirement contributions than you could if you didn't have an HSA.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
A similar thing just happened to me with my dermatologist. I had a $1066 bill, and they were shocked when I said I would pay it in full that day. I used my HSA debit card, and they politely told me that their payment plan typically has lower interest than a credit card. With so many people on HDHPs, you'd think this would be more common.

Battle of Hastings.  Sorry, had to do it.  Some days I just channel Rainman :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »

Battle of Hastings.  Sorry, had to do it.  Some days I just channel Rainman :)
Woo, William of Normandy!

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »

It can be.  I take it you've heard of "all cash home purchases" right?  While it would be hilarious, I'm pretty sure these people aren't carrying around briefcases of hundred dollar bills to buy their mansions.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »

I usually wait for the bill just to make sure everything was charged appropriately.  Medical bills are NOTORIOUS for billing errors.

+1   And wait until insurance gets the bill as well and is paid by them.

Good luck getting your money back if you've already paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »

It can be.  I take it you've heard of "all cash home purchases" right?  While it would be hilarious, I'm pretty sure these people aren't carrying around briefcases of hundred dollar bills to buy their mansions.

That's just more misuse of language.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
For regular cleanings I'm pretty sure dental insurance is more expensive than 'cash' - so if you have good teeth, strongly consider going without insurance.

Totally depends on the plan. Mine costs the same as two cleanings a year so I have it because 1) I feel obligated to go since I've already paid for  it (I'm not a huge dentist fan) and 2) if anything DOES come up I'm ahead with insurance.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:26:58 AM »
I tried to pay for my car with my debit card and they wouldn't accept it. 

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:59 PM »

Mr. Webster defines cash as

n. 1. Ready money; currency or coins. 2. Payment for goods or services in money or by check

OP's usage definitely falls under that, so it isn't a misuse of language.  Words change meaning, language evolves.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »

Warning, Warning!  Pedantic Nit Picking Alert from Moon!  Also possibly showing a lack of understanding on money, banking, the role, function and services of banks, checks, demand deposits, etc.

The poster clearly intends to indicate that the transaction was not financed (e.g. credit based), hence the equivalence of writing a check to physically handing over cash.  Of course, the poster COULD have physically gone to the bank, presented their check to the bank teller for "cash" drawn from their demand deposit account, taken possession of the requisite quantity of notes, then transported them to the service provided in question.  Or just did what they did and saved the hassle.

From a monetary perspective, a check and physical cash are one and the same.  A check is merely an order to the bank to transfer cash on deposit from the writers account to the person the check is written to.  Cash in a demand deposit account (checking, savings) at the bank is part of the money supply per the Fed. 

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/money_12845.htm
For example, U.S. currency and balances held in checking accounts and savings accounts are included in many measures of the money supply.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

Warning, Warning!  Pedantic Nit Picking Alert from Moon!  Also possibly showing a lack of understanding on money, banking, the role, function and services of banks, checks, demand deposits, etc.

The poster clearly intends to indicate that the transaction was not financed (e.g. credit based), hence the equivalence of writing a check to physically handing over cash.  Of course, the poster COULD have physically gone to the bank, presented their check to the bank teller for "cash" drawn from their demand deposit account, taken possession of the requisite quantity of notes, then transported them to the service provided in question.  Or just did what they did and saved the hassle.

From a monetary perspective, a check and physical cash are one and the same.  A check is merely an order to the bank to transfer cash on deposit from the writers account to the person the check is written to.  Cash in a demand deposit account (checking, savings) at the bank is part of the money supply per the Fed. 

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/money_12845.htm
For example, U.S. currency and balances held in checking accounts and savings accounts are included in many measures of the money supply.

Edited to move my reply to the correct spot:

Unless the check bounces.  Then they are not one in the same.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:31:50 PM by Blonde Lawyer »

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
That said, I've delayed paying for things directly from my HSA, simply because I try not to take anything out of it.  I use the HSA as another retirement account, and pay out of pocket, and I can typically take up to 90 days to pay without interest.  So I can actually understand why professional people don't pay immediately; 90 days that really is interest free is, basicly, free money.

This! I always thought the HSA was what I should use for medical expenses but then I realized that you should invest that beautiful tax-free money and spend your after-tax dollars for medical expenses. And, yes, last year we had some hospital bills and I took my sweet time paying those.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
Depends on how much your employer throws in.  We only pay $100/year for three people. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »

You are just overthinking this.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
My OB office told me that they put you on a payment plan so the OB fees are paid in full by the time the baby is delivered.  My expected copay for all OB services is $750.  They were going to give me envelope and get a $25 payment weekly.

That sounded like a huge pain in the ass, so I asked if I could pay it all at once.  She looked at me blankly- then had to go ask someone else. 
I could, and did.

I'd much rather have hung onto the money and paid it AFTER services were rendered, but that wasn't an option, and I sure didn't want to have to remember a $25 check or phone call with my CC to them each week.  (Now, if they could have just had an auto-charge, that would have worked.)

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
I suspect there are plenty of people that can pay the full amount, but would pay via credit card (convenience, points, accountability, etc.).

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
When I was the finance manager at an RV dealer fully 35 to 40% of purchases were cash.  This on 20k plus units.   We sold one 96k unit for cash.       And yeah sometimes people would bring actual cash.   Most I remember was 20k in cash money.   We often had to file IRS forms for the real cash over 10k.   I assure you that checks are not real cash.   I can fly to mexico with 5 million in checks but only less than 10k in cash.

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »

Mr. Ramsey has a story about a buddy of his making cash offers on foreclosures with a briefcase of bills.

'Course  he also says the market averages 12% and that mutual funds are better than index funds so you have to take it with a grain of salt. Still, I choose to believe it since its a hilarious image.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
Checks are cash. They are a direct draw on a liquid account that is not backed by any collateral other than the good faith and credit of the government issuing them (and the relevant laws guaranteeing the deposits).

You should exercise a little more judgement when accepting payment from individuals because it's easier to write a bad check than handing over counterfeited notes.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 06:37:33 AM »
My OB office told me that they put you on a payment plan so the OB fees are paid in full by the time the baby is delivered.  My expected copay for all OB services is $750.  They were going to give me envelope and get a $25 payment weekly.

That sounded like a huge pain in the ass, so I asked if I could pay it all at once.  She looked at me blankly- then had to go ask someone else. 
I could, and did.

I'd much rather have hung onto the money and paid it AFTER services were rendered, but that wasn't an option, and I sure didn't want to have to remember a $25 check or phone call with my CC to them each week.  (Now, if they could have just had an auto-charge, that would have worked.)

Sounds like a job for bill-pay. Set your bank to automatically send them the $25 check each week...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »

Sounds like a job for bill-pay. Set your bank to automatically send them the $25 check each week...

They can't take an electronic transfer. I don't think my bank would send a check in the appropriately marked envelope each month.  (Apparently the payment envelopes with my bar code were a very important part of this.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 06:49:01 AM »
I suspect there are plenty of people that can pay the full amount, but would pay via credit card (convenience, points, accountability, etc.).

That's exactly what I did. There was no problem taking a credit card.  (If I didn't want to do the envelopes, I could have called weekly with my credit card number. But they couldn't just take my card and auto-charge it each week.)

It would be silly to not get points for a big purchase!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:26:06 AM by iowajes »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
We need to enroll our child in specialized school, and our payments will be over 13K for the year, divided into 8 payments. Hubby is working more, and we have saved up for the first 2 payments, and so hope to cash flow it over the next 8 months if we are lucky. However I asked, and they accept credit cards, with no additional fees. I was going to pay by check but now will pay by cc, then pay off cc immediately, which will mean $130 extra bucks.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I tried to pay for my car with my debit card and they wouldn't accept it.

I was successful in using my debit card, but only after 10 minutes plus of:
        IF time<10min THEN

Salesguy:  So how do you want to finance this?
                    Me: Run the debit card

ELSE  Run the card

I wasn't expecting to actually _buy_ a car that day so I didn't have green (US dollar) cash on me.
Kinda regret that, as his expression would have been priceless.

I didn't know or remember about the IRS form for >$10K cash transfers, I bet they wouldn't have either.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:57:46 AM by markbike528CBX »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
I was hoping to put my car on my credit card, but they'd only run $5k max. 

Oh well, at least I got $5k of points.  We wrote a check for the rest.  The salesguy joked about it being "the biggest check we ever wrote". Nope, our downpayment on our house was 3x that and for some reason they had us write a check instead of doing an auto transfer like our first house.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »

I didn't know or remember about the IRS form for >$10K cash transfers, I bet they wouldn't have either.

Don't worry about that, that form isn't your problem, it's the bank's, and I'd wager they didn't forget.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
I needed to go buy a car, but figured we'd only be browsing on day one, so I didn't bother to take my checkbook.  I was going to run home and grab it, but then I asked if a credit card would be OK, and they were fine with it.  Roughly $8K.  Mad points!!  :)

We bought our home in cash last year.  Every time I talked to the sales guy at the model home, he kept bringing up words like mortgage, financing, escrow, etc.  Cash was a totally foreign concept.  And for the record, we didn't show up w/briefcases full of cash at the closing, just a wire transfer well in advance of the actual close date.  Sucked to see all those 0's disappear from the account overnight...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
I wonder if you could buy a house on credit card for the points....
If you pre-paid the $$$$$ onto the account so you are under the limit - why not?

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
In 1987 I paid $9K+ cash for a new Suzuki Samurai 4WD jeep. On the way to the dealership I stopped at my bank and withdrew ninety-two $100 bills from my savings account. The teller almost didn't want to give me the money. She made me sign a waiver acknowledging that I knew carrying large amounts of cash was dangerous and that the bank wasn't responsible if anything happened.

It was summertime, and it was hot. I was wearing shorts with no pockets, so before I left the bank I shoved the big wad of $100 bills into my sock. The look on the car salesman's face when I pulled the money out of my sock was priceless.

That was the first and only new car I ever bought. Two years later I sold the vehicle for $5000 (ouch!), which I used to pay my living expenses while studying abroad in Europe for a year. The experiences I had and the language skills I learned while living in Austria are still with me today. The shiny new car is pretty much long forgotten.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I'd had access to a forum like this one in 1987? If I had taken that $9K and other money I spent on things when I was in my early 20's and invested it in the stock market (preferably post 10/87 :), how much more would we have saved for retirement today?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
If you pre-paid the $$$$$ onto the account so you are under the limit - why not?

There is an annual limit on the number of points you can get.  Just check your agreement.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »

There is an annual limit on the number of points you can get.  Just check your agreement.

I guess this would depend on the card. I don't think any of my cards have such an annual limit. The Sallie Mae card has a limit on how much 5% cash back you can get in a month, but anything beyond the limit still gets 1%.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!