Author Topic: We finally have a Porsche SUV in our driveway!  (Read 8553 times)

mrs sideways

• Stubble
We finally have a Porsche SUV in our driveway!
« on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:10 PM »
Okay, it's our neighbor's. The city is repaving our street, and they blocked off street parking for blocks in every direction, so we offered up our spare driveway space.

But still, we look rich now!

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: We finally have a Porsche SUV in our driveway!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:11:10 PM »
A porsche/bmw is what I'd love to spend money on but likely never will.

Should take it for a drive :P

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
Okay, it's our neighbor's. The city is repaving our street, and they blocked off street parking for blocks in every direction, so we offered up our spare driveway space.

And that's what really matters, isn't it? ;)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 01:11:53 PM »

A new Mustachian side histle! Rent out your driveway to neighbours with fancy cars!

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 03:45:54 PM »

A new Mustachian side histle! Rent out your driveway to neighbours with fancy cars!

Ha! Or go 100% the other way and rent out expensive cars just to sit in driveways and make the home owners look wealthy.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
Your neighbour typically parks this vehicle on the street?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »
Their driveway is probably already filled with other luxury SUVs. Can't have just one, y'know!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
If you were having an open house to try to sell your home, would it be a good investment to rent a couple fancy cars and park them in your neighbors' driveways? Hmmm...

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
If you were having an open house to try to sell your home, would it be a good investment to rent a couple fancy cars and park them in your neighbors' driveways? Hmmm...

Staging on steroids

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
Hey FWIW my coworker has a Porsche SUV. Used they are quite affordable. Like ~$15K.

Of course they consume alot of fuel and the maintenance is expensive if you utilize a dealer.

I rode in it - its nice.

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »

Normally it's in their driveway, but they have two other cars and a trailer, which was somehow maneuvered onto their lawn. I honestly don't know why they parked their best car in our driveway, but probably because they drive the other cars more. (shrug)

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Hey FWIW my coworker has a Porsche SUV. Used they are quite affordable. Like ~$15K.

Of course they consume alot of fuel and the maintenance is expensive if you utilize a dealer.

I rode in it - its nice.

Even if you do your own maintenance, the OEM parts are crazy expensive. Which is why no one uses OEM unless forced to.

Aftermarket parts are a little better.

Gas mileage: compared to other high end cars, the 911 does quite well.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
I wouldn't recommend expensive cars to people who expect Hyundai/Toyota/Honda costs. Fine for us gearheads who do our own work.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
I wouldn't recommend expensive cars to people who expect Hyundai/Toyota/Honda costs. Fine for us gearheads who do our own work.
Agree. I may pick up a 993 when I finally FIRE, but that is only because I can do a majority of the work myself (I used to wrench on Porsche/Mercedes). I'd really like a 356 (mom had one) but they are nosebleed pricey.

In the meantime I'll keep maintaining my Honda Fit myself. A shame it will never break down.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
I still lust after a clean early 70s 911T. Doesn't need any body kit stuff nor a big engine. In some ways its a faster, refined aircooled Beetle. Beyond what I'm willing to spend on toy cars anymore.
If I'm dreaming big I might as well dream about a Tatra T87. They are only the price of a nice house around here. https://youtu.be/c2XyLgv-UQY

I'll stick with more realistic daydreams. 1930s Fords, aircooled Beetles and Corvairs, etc. Similar in price to a commuter car.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »

I used to have a client where the managing director was getting fed up of people asking if the Porsche 911 in the car park was his.  It actually belonged to one of the guys on the production line who had rebuilt it from a wreck using used parts.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 07:13:05 AM »

Funny how this never seems necessary. People be buying these cars all over!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 08:13:03 AM »

I used to have a client where the managing director was getting fed up of people asking if the Porsche 911 in the car park was his.  It actually belonged to one of the guys on the production line who had rebuilt it from a wreck using used parts.

I know someone who recently sold their highly efficient commuter vehicle for a large luxury brand vehicle. One of those people who tend to have a car payments continuously. When one car gets paid off its time to go car shopping whether they need to or not.

They are one of those people - until the efficient commuter vehicle - for whom everything breaks in expensive ways. I fully expect this used luxury vehicle will break in creative ways that their budget never even imagined. Nobody asked me so I have no IRL opinions. Only complimentary things to say. Sure is shiny!!!

Wonder if they've noticed that their MPG went from 40s to teens yet?

I really hope for the best for them. I like shiny cars too but not if my budget is already maxed.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »
A lot of frugal people seem like they're buying cars right now. Perhaps the car-sellers are being more aggressive than usual in offering discounts and they really are getting deals?

As for me, I like the "deal" of not driving an extra 35 miles a day to commute to work right now.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »

I know someone who recently sold their highly efficient commuter vehicle for a large luxury brand vehicle. One of those people who tend to have a car payments continuously. When one car gets paid off its time to go car shopping whether they need to or not.

They are one of those people - until the efficient commuter vehicle - for whom everything breaks in expensive ways. I fully expect this used luxury vehicle will break in creative ways that their budget never even imagined. Nobody asked me so I have no IRL opinions. Only complimentary things to say. Sure is shiny!!!

I really hope for the best for them. I like shiny cars too but not if my budget is already maxed.
I was eating lunch with a friend in an Italian restaurant a little over a year ago when we heard two women a table over discussing one of the ladies' current boyfriend who apparently had just made the final payment on his Dodge Ram pickup truck.  Both women commented that the fact he has not gotten a new vehicle yet as being a sign of his being cheap. They were not happy about it.  For some reason.....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 10:38:23 AM »

Wait, your neighbors have a Porsche and it is not kept in a garage? How gauche.
Oh that's right, the garage is used protect unused junk.
Silly me.

Even our Mexican HHR and the Finnish Porsche Boxster are in a garage.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:18 AM »

I was eating lunch with a friend in an Italian restaurant a little over a year ago when we heard two women a table over discussing one of the ladies' current boyfriend who apparently had just made the final payment on his Dodge Ram pickup truck.  Both women commented that the fact he has not gotten a new vehicle yet as being a sign of his being cheap. They were not happy about it.  For some reason.....
Well, if he had an 84 month loan, or worse, refinanced it along the way, it probably was "old", lol!

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »
Silly me.

To be fair, keeping the garage clean takes time. The only reason we can park a car in our garage is because I can perform an annual cleaning and purging while the kids are in school. If both parents are working, it's hard enough to keep the house and yard clean, and the garage usually gets shoved to the bottom of the list.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:48 AM »
I park my Fiatta convertible in front of my neighbor’s house because he likes it there, says it classes up his place.

He’s only kidding though because his own car which is parked behind his house in a garage is  a whole lot more expensive than mine.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 01:24:14 PM »
Silly me.

To be fair, keeping the garage clean takes time. The only reason we can park a car in our garage is because I can perform an annual cleaning and purging while the kids are in school. If both parents are working, it's hard enough to keep the house and yard clean, and the garage usually gets shoved to the bottom of the list.

In the winter I keep my garage pretty clean so I can keep two cars there out of the snow.

But in the spring/summer/fall, my kids are playing outside damn near 24/7 and there are bikes and toys and such everywhere, so we shovel it all back into the garage at night and close the door, and then they go nuts again with it the next day.

I’d much rather have my kids playing outside with their stuff than have a clean garage and them inside on devices.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
Silly me.

In the winter I keep my garage pretty clean so I can keep two cars there out of the snow.

But in the spring/summer/fall, my kids are playing outside damn near 24/7 and there are bikes and toys and such everywhere, so we shovel it all back into the garage at night and close the door, and then they go nuts again with it the next day.

I’d much rather have my kids playing outside with their stuff than have a clean garage and them inside on devices.

That seems to be an excellent choice for your kids!

The kid clutter phase lasts only last a few years so it won’t be in your life forever.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

Normally it's in their driveway, but they have two other cars and a trailer, which was somehow maneuvered onto their lawn. I honestly don't know why they parked their best car in our driveway, but probably because they drive the other cars more. (shrug)

My $3k, 1999 van fittting in my garage makes me feel richer than many of my neighbors with much nicer cars. They are clearing snow off of their pricey vehicles while I drive my 21 y.o. out of my garage and head out to work.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »
Silly me.

The kid clutter phase lasts only last a few years so it won’t be in your life forever.

My kids are 5 years apart and the oldest is 9; I’ve probably got at least 7-8 years to go. Oh well!  There are worse things. The worst is the Powerwheels my parents bought for my daughter; it’s like 4’x7’. I hang it on the wall in the winter but the kids can’t get it down so that takes up the most room.  It will be a happy day when I can pass it along to another family with small kids.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 05:37:28 PM »
Silly me.

My kids are 5 years apart and the oldest is 9; I’ve probably got at least 7-8 years to go. Oh well!  There are worse things. The worst is the Powerwheels my parents bought for my daughter; it’s like 4’x7’. I hang it on the wall in the winter but the kids can’t get it down so that takes up the most room.  It will be a happy day when I can pass it along to another family with small kids.

Now I  know what to get DGD for Christmas if I  am ever feeling really pissed off at DD.    ;-)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »

Update on the someone I know: their luxury vehicle needs a new engine. Ouch!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »
Silly me.

Took a bike ride the other day. YAY - spring! Based on what I saw here, a cluttered garage is quite normal. We recently cleaned out our garage too. Took a big effort b/c it is easier to use it as easy storage or a dumping ground for tools/toys/good intentions. Felt good to get that done.

Ana White has some great storage ideas and plans. We built some shelves seen there. Beware an 8ft 2x4 is $7-$9 right now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:15:00 AM by Just Joe »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
Silly me.

Took a bike ride the other day. YAY - spring! Based on what I saw here, a cluttered garage is quite normal. We recently cleaned out our garage too. Took a big effort b/c it is easier to use it as easy storage or a dumping ground for tools/toys/good intentions. Felt good to get that done.

Ana White has some great storage ideas and plans. We built some shelves seen there. Beware an 8ft 2x4 is $7-$9 right now.

Yeah I have some projects planned; I need to sheath my garage walls in plywood (currently exposed paper-backed insulation, major fire hazard), and my kids have been begging me to build them a swing set/play fort. I hate to do either right now given the ridiculous price of lumber.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »

Update on the someone I know: their luxury vehicle needs a new engine. Ouch!

Damn, you called it just 5 months before.  So, what will the lottery numbers be?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »
Oh no - you aren't hanging that on me! ;)

I was lucky in love but never lucky while gambling so I don't.
Let us know how your lottery tickets turn out.

I recently heard a lottery story about a friend of a friend. It is unfolding exactly like one might expect for a family with some history of money and relationship troubles. Expensive choices are being made.

DW and I are making guesses about how long the money will last. We figure just a few years.   

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »

I am looking forward to taking delivery of my bmw. I don’t drive a lot so finger crossed on the car not being an endless money pit during my ownership.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »

I am looking forward to taking delivery of my bmw. I don’t drive a lot so finger crossed on the car not being an endless money pit during my ownership.
Sorry, what???

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
Silly me.

While we could definitely stand to get rid of some garage junk (spousal packrat issues) - we do have 5 bikes plus assorted scooters, sporting gear, camping gear, most of my tools, holiday decorations, spare house parts (ie, plumbing parts box, electrical parts box, etc) and another etc. It's a barely a nominal 2 car garage, we can fit 1.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »
I didn’t know that Porsche made SUVs. I don’t know why anyone would want one.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2021, 07:28:19 AM »
Porsche make more SUV than cars.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
Well, I don’t much like Porsche so that must explain my lack of knowledge. I don’t much like the German cars in total, other than a couple of  vintage Benz lines.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »
But that's a relatively recent phenomenon. They made their name on sport-lux cars.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »
But that's a relatively recent phenomenon. They made their name on sport-lux cars.
If Relatively recent is 2014 , 50/50 SUV/car split, then you are correct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/01/22/porsche-cayenne-macan-suvs-911-cars/4502342002/

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/01/22/porsche-cayenne-macan-suvs-911-cars/4502342002/
Dude, for us oldsters,2014 was, like, a couple of months ago.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »

Hey, I resemble that remark! XD

For '80s kids like me, the idea of Porsche making SUVs was once nearly as bizarre as the idea of Lamborghini making station wagons... (*Googles Lamborghini, finds out they now make an "SUV" that looks a heck of a lot like a station wagon*) *D'oh!*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:38:51 AM by dcheesi »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2021, 08:36:18 AM »

Hey, I resemble that remark! XD

For '80s kids like me, the idea of Porsche making SUVs was once nearly as bizarre as the idea of Lamborghini making station wagons... (*Googles Lamborghini, finds out they now make an "SUV" that looks a heck of a lot like a station wagon*) *D'oh!*
I remember thinking the same thing, like Porsche had sold out to appeal to soccer moms with more money than sense.