Author Topic: Wasting tax refunds  (Read 40675 times)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Wasting tax refunds
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
Never did anything foolish with it even when young. When young we would use it to fix the house (new roof, furnace etc). Now we plan well so just about break even.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
In my pre-Mustachian days I once got a $9,500 refund.  Within a week the 90-year-old terra cotta sewage pipe behind our house decided that it had had enough tree roots and it was done for. 

So our entire $9,500 refund literally ... went to "waste."  ba-da-bum!!

I don't know what it is about tax season and our plumbing... this year we're only getting $300 back (by design), and this week I had to pay $200 to have our sewer pipe unclogged again (different house than last time).  At least there were no tree roots in the pipe!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »
In my pre-Mustachian days I once got a $9,500 refund.  Within a week the 90-year-old terra cotta sewage pipe behind our house decided that it had had enough tree roots and it was done for. 

I don't know what it is about tax season and our plumbing... this year we're only getting $300 back (by design), and this week I had to pay $200 to have our sewer pipe unclogged again (different house than last time).  At least there were no tree roots in the pipe!

That's Shitty! What a Waste!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
Seriously!  Why don't more people understand how exciting it is to use your money to buy something that makes you more money?  If life were a video game, it would be so obvious to everybody that that's something you should buy!

I think I know what you are saying - instead of buying 10 potions/other consumables for 1000 coins, you would instead buy the amulet for the same amount that gives you +50 coins for every 100 steps you take.

Makes total sense to me :)

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
Seriously!  Why don't more people understand how exciting it is to use your money to buy something that makes you more money?  If life were a video game, it would be so obvious to everybody that that's something you should buy!

You guys are all making me laugh out loud.  This is hilarious.  And please add me to the savings "obsession" club too.  As addictions go, it's healthier than drugs! 

DCW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

Good lord, are you me? 

I've actually wondered if I have an obsession with banking/investments.  I check my bank account 3-4 times a day, check my investments and retirement accounts at least weekly, and have a net worth spreadsheet that I update monthly.  My income/expenditures spreadsheet may as well be open all the time (it is) and I look at it constantly, moving things around, playing out different scenarios, and trying to squeeze money out wherever I can.  I know I should keep money in my interest earning checking and savings account until the last minute but I love paying my bills the moment they're due.  It drives me nuts that bills don't clear immediately and I have to wait overnight or *gasp* all weekend!  Am I the only one like this?

/OCD confession

Nope, I'm the same way!

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »

That's Shitty! What a Waste!

They're getting reamed.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »
I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

Good lord, are you me? 

I've actually wondered if I have an obsession with banking/investments.  I check my bank account 3-4 times a day, check my investments and retirement accounts at least weekly, and have a net worth spreadsheet that I update monthly.  My income/expenditures spreadsheet may as well be open all the time (it is) and I look at it constantly, moving things around, playing out different scenarios, and trying to squeeze money out wherever I can.  I know I should keep money in my interest earning checking and savings account until the last minute but I love paying my bills the moment they're due.  It drives me nuts that bills don't clear immediately and I have to wait overnight or *gasp* all weekend!  Am I the only one like this?

/OCD confession

Nope, I'm the same way!

And today was a bank holiday! Ugh!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »

Good lord, are you me? 

/OCD confession

Nope, I'm the same way!

And today was a bank holiday! Ugh!

Ha!  Okay, I have forgotten that and remembered it, like, three times today.  Which almost certainly means I check my accounts too often.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

I think I know what you are saying - instead of buying 10 potions/other consumables for 1000 coins, you would instead buy the amulet for the same amount that gives you +50 coins for every 100 steps you take.

Right.  Or like buying the larger manna pool which increases your manna regeneration rate by +10 every minute.

edited: quote tags
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:14:22 AM by sheepstache »

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
It's like being able to wish for more wishes.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

Right.  Or like buying the larger manna pool which increases your manna regeneration rate by +10 every minute.

I don't know this quoted game (if they are the same), but now I really want to know. Care to share?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
They're not the same, but I think I'm thinking of GemCraft, a tower defense game.

Or wait apparently that's enlarging your pool so you can hold more mana at once so you don't lose it and so you can cast more powerful spells.  Cursed Treasure is a different tower defense game where you can build structures on manna pools to increase your manna generation rate.  So I combined the two things in my mind.  Anyway, you can play either one for free on Kongregate.com.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

edited: quote tags

Or up up down down left right left right B A start.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »
They're not the same, but I think I'm thinking of GemCraft, a tower defense game.

Or wait apparently that's enlarging your pool so you can hold more mana at once so you don't lose it and so you can cast more powerful spells.  Cursed Treasure is a different tower defense game where you can build structures on manna pools to increase your manna generation rate.  So I combined the two things in my mind.  Anyway, you can play either one for free on Kongregate.com.

Awesome! Thanks! New games to play. :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
In the past I have blown my tax refund on lots of stupid stuff. Last year it went to fix the dog's teeth.

This year I owe, thanks to fewer deductions and more than anticipated side business income. Good news/bad news, I guess.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »
As for my own tax refund, I get a perverse thrill out of buying investment products.  I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

HA, you know you're a newb when you read that sentence and your first thought is, "But CDs aren't a good investment! They'll be outdated in no time. That's like investing in VHS!"

And then, durrrrrrrrrrr ;)

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
Have to pay 1000 bucks this year. Sigh....

I was hoping for a cool 1k as a refund to start a roth iRA

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
As for my own tax refund, I get a perverse thrill out of buying investment products.  I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

HA, you know you're a newb when you read that sentence and your first thought is, "But CDs aren't a good investment! They'll be outdated in no time. That's like investing in VHS!"

And then, durrrrrrrrrrr ;)

No worries, I did the same thing! 

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Last year I got $6800 and spent $5,000 of it on a spring break trip to Key West with my kids. What an expensive trip, but what a great time we had, snorkelling, touring the Everglades, more snorkelling, parasailing, and taking a helicopter ride. 

THIS year I'm getting almost the exact same amount, and it's going into the 529 plans the DAY I get it.  I'm setting my alarm clock early for the day the IRS says I'll get it, and I'm going to get up, check my bank online, and make the transfer.  Whoo hoo!!!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 06:30:56 PM »

I just swooned.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »

I just swooned.

When you two get married, it'll be up up down down left right left right B A select start

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »

I just swooned.

When you two get married, it'll be up up down down left right left right B A select start

Ohhhh, I was just kidding about Fireman....dragoncar, it's you I swoon over...

Oh, the 80s.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

I just swooned.

Oh, the 80s.

Ahem.

A common misconception is that the code ends with Start or Select Start. In Contra, the player must press Start after entering the code in order to start the game, or press Select Start to switch to two-player mode and then start the game, leading to the confusion. In other games, pressing these buttons will cause the code to not work.

Source. :)

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »

I just swooned.

Oh, the 80s.

Ahem.

A common misconception is that the code ends with Start or Select Start. In Contra, the player must press Start after entering the code in order to start the game, or press Select Start to switch to two-player mode and then start the game, leading to the confusion. In other games, pressing these buttons will cause the code to not work.

Dang. Schooled.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »

I just swooned.

Oh, the 80s.

Ahem.

Dang. Schooled.

How so?  It says that in Contra, you use select start for two-player mode.  In other games, even pressing start (as included in Fireman's original post) will cause the code to fail.  That's neither here nor there, however, since Contra is the most romantic of all Konami games. 

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »
That's neither here nor there, however, since Contra is the most romantic of all Konami games.

Aww come on, who doesn't enjoy a little Q*bert?

Seriously though...I think i'm going to spend my tax return on an NES!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
That's neither here nor there, however, since Contra is the most romantic of all Konami games.

You know of http://nesbox.com/ right?

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »

You know of http://nesbox.com/ right?

Dear Diary...Jackpot!

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
For years we used the refunds to pay down the mortgage. Once that was gone, we began putting it in the Roths. We've got 5 kids, and relatively low income, especially after 401k deductions, so there is no getting our refunds down to zero. I actually am working on getting as much free money as I'm eligible for - I think it is pretty cool to use tax free money for our Roths.

I just wish I had figured out all the details sooner.  We really only ramped up the retirement savings as the mortgage was paid off.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »

I just swooned.

Oh, the 80s.

Ahem.

Dang. Schooled.

How so?  It says that in Contra, you use select start for two-player mode.  In other games, even pressing start (as included in Fireman's original post) will cause the code to fail.  That's neither here nor there, however, since Contra is the most romantic of all Konami games.

But when you get married I assume you'll want to play a 2-player game

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 01:56:20 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  It's a little anti-mustachian to start with, but so much fun. Just don't  play  Spy vs Spy unless player 2 is as  sneaky and sadistic ( video game wise) as you. I've  ticked off  my best friend and husband with that one. Sheesh ,  people are so touchy! booby trap every single door and they get huffy!

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2014, 06:41:35 AM »

I just swooned.

Oh, the 80s.

Ahem.

Dang. Schooled.

But when you get married I assume you'll want to play a 2-player game

Maybe. Believe it or not, sometimes I just like to watch. :)

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
Not me but my mom use to buy ALOT of chocolate with her tax refund lol

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »
It's like being able to wish for more wishes.

Exactly! 

"So, let me get this straight, I get to buy a bunch of stocks and stuff now, and then later, I get to buy a bunch more stuff with the exact same money?"

Kio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »

Good lord, are you me? 

/OCD confession

OMG you people are not alone!!!  My husband and I have some crazy spreadsheets, which we update / stare at daily.... (hourly?!)  We always joke that in our obsession with The Spreadsheets, we feel like Scrooge McDuck when he swims in his vault of gold coins.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

Also, have you ever made a payment on a Friday, when there is a bank holiday the following Monday? Pure torture.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2014, 06:47:46 AM »
Also, have you ever made a payment on a Friday, when there is a bank holiday the following Monday? Pure torture.

This. Definitely this.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
This is the first year I have gotten a chunk of money (1200$) and it is currently staying in the bank. Technically it could be funding my plane ticket to visit family and to get some massages, but I budgeted that into my monthly spending.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »

This. Definitely this.
I am the same waiting for things to go through. I also check mint every day, it is an easy way to see all my transactions instead of clicking on checkings/savings/credit cards. Of course the logging in and seeing things right away led to a hilarious moment one day. My boyfriend brought me cookies at work, and later on that day I noticed a charge of 15$ for chick fil-a. I made a comment, oh you had lunch there. He then says  well about that, well I bought cookies there. He accidentally used my credit card, so I bought myself and my coworkers some cookies. They were all good but had too much chocolate chunks. I could have baked a shit ton of cookies for that 15$ in baking supplies.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »
This year we got back $5k added $17k to it that was sitting on the sideline and started started rIRA's with it (maxed out2013 & 2014).  I know that is way too much to get back in taxes but working on adjusting it down. 

GutsGloryRam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »
Going to do my taxes this weekend...i am hoping to get some refund this year, as i started IRA account....thanx to you guys for the motivation to think about retirement....
With the refund, i would set some to my parents, rest goes directly to Vanguard taxable account.....:-)..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:36:05 PM by GutsGloryRam »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I just got ~$4,500 back (just had a kid in November and that is the reason for most of it) I paid off all my debts by December and have been working on my emergency fund since. Should be fully funded for 6 months of expenses within the next 2-3 months. Thanks for the motivation MMM

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
What my monkey brain wants to do with my tax return:
-buy new glasses (for fashion, not function)
-buy frye boots
-buy jewellery
-go on vacation

What my mustachian brain is going to do:
-finish paying back my parents
-put the rest into investments and savings

booyah!

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
I just got ~$4,500 back (just had a kid in November and that is the reason for most of it) I paid off all my debts by December and have been working on my emergency fund since. Should be fully funded for 6 months of expenses within the next 2-3 months. Thanks for the motivation MMM

Way to go!!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »
I am going to waste my husband's tax return...

On paying my balance owing, the accountant, and then a nice dinner out with the $100 remaining ;)

I thought I was going to owe in the thousands, along with him, so it's like a tax miracle!

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
I don't understand why people treat some money as somehow "different" to the rest of their money. "This money is from working so I'm going to pay the mortgage and buy groceries with it, this other money is from my tax refund so I'm going to spend it at a restaurant...". Even here? I just don't get it.

The best use of your money doesn't somehow depend on where it came from. Stay on budget, bank unexpected money coming in, it's not like there's never any unexpected money coming out.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
I would likely spend a similar amount on a date night with my husband, regardless of the refund (we do this maybe 2x a year) but celebrating not having to take money out of savings, to pay the taxman, is just a convenient excuse.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »
Spending mine on a trip Thailand this fall!

GreenAcres

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 01:39:25 PM »
Mine is going towards student loans!  We get a decent return because of our small business and our child.  Last year we put new tires on the car. 

I will call my little sister the queen of tax refunds.  In the past few years she has spent her refund on:  tattoos, remote start for her car, a pure bred dog and a stereo system.  She is also in debt (big car loans).  I just shake my head.  However, she seems really happy with her choices.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
You can tell when people get their tax returns back around here. $5,000 rims (24's or 26's) on $2000 cars / SUV's.

They they (the rims) are up for sale in a couple months when they have to pay rent or fix said car.