Author Topic: Wasting tax refunds  (Read 40703 times)

mbk

• Stubble
Wasting tax refunds
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
In pre-mustachian days, I wasted my tax refunds on things like expensive speakers and computers. It would be interesting to know how people spend (waste) their tax refunds. Please share your stories anti-mustachian stories of tax refund spending.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wasting tax refunds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
My MIL calls things like tax refunds 'found money' and she has no compunction about spending it on electronics, or anything else she fancies in the moment.

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
I know a girl, who is a friend of my wife. She purposefully makes sure that more money is withheld than necessary, so she can get big refund. She treats this like some kind of savings account. She spends the refund on big ticket items, which she thinks she can't afford otherwise.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
Ha, waste.  IF I get one, and I usually end up owing just a little, it goes to savings.

peaceandprosperity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
When i was younger, i wasted my refunds on things like TV's and trips or just on paying debt on credit cards for my consumptive lifestyle. In more recent years, i've hardly had any refund and sometimes end up owing. This was due to careful adjustment of my W4 statement over the year to make sure I kept my money throughout the year instead of loaning it to the Fed.

However this year is different. I will reap a significant refund because for the first time in the 21 year history of my relationship with my SO, we were able to get legally married! This is a really big deal. We have 2 young children, i have a high income, and she stays home with the kids full time, thus dependent on my support. Yet we were never treated as such from the TAX rules. I was simply a single person filing head of household with 2 dependents (highly punitive to high incomes). This is the scenario that MARRIED FILING JOINTLY is made for really. (I'll try not to think about the literally 100k + i lost over the last decade due to not being able to be legally joined).

So given i discovered MMM in early January and had a real serious conversion to financial Badassity, i will likely be spending my refund refilling my cash flow to make up for all enthusiastic investing i've done this month. That and also paying 2-4k in closing costs for a mortgage refinance from 30 to 15 year mortgage and a 4.8 rate to a 3.5 rate. I have to say it feels really good to use a refund for things like that.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »
In the past I have spent my tax refund on vacations.  Last year I used it for income after I quit my old job.  This year I will invest most of it. 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
Refund?  What's a refund?  If I have anything on the "Amount Overpaid" line, it just goes to April's estimated tax payment.  One of the joys of self-employment :-)

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
Refund?  What's a refund?  If I have anything on the "Amount Overpaid" line, it just goes to April's estimated tax payment.  One of the joys of self-employment :-)

Yup! We send the IRS checks, not the other way around. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »
I know a girl, who is a friend of my wife. She purposefully makes sure that more money is withheld than necessary, so she can get big refund. She treats this like some kind of savings account. She spends the refund on big ticket items, which she thinks she can't afford otherwise.

I will admit that we do this. Sort of.  We've left our withholdings on the higher side, then whatever the tax refund is, that is the amount that we spend on home improvement projects for the year.  It's a strategy for keeping the marital peace, rather than pulling teeth over every project on a case by case basis.  This is the first year that it's looking like we won't get much of a refund though, so we may be back to deciding how much we want to throw in to landscaping this spring.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »
For the last five years while in school I used my tax refund to both live on, and spend as "free money" like so many people have stated. I can pretty much guarantee that both my laptop computers and desktop computer were all purchased with tax refund money. Man the old me wasted a lot of money!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
Giving the govt an interest free loan seems like a bad idea.. Self employment FTW!

Just gotta make sure you've got enough put by to save the bill.. phew!

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
I don't remember ever blowing a tax refund on something extreme, to be honest.

These days I let the government take more than they need, then use the refund to pay the bulk of the property taxes. It works out pretty close most years, but a couple years ago there was darn little refund for some reason. I could earn $35 in interest on it I guess but it works for us.

peaceandprosperity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
 [/quote]If she was a SAHM with no income and lived with you all year you could have claimed her as a dependent. Not as nice as filing jointly but helps a little. If that's the case and you didn't claim her you can amend 2010-2012 returns to add her as a dependent and get some more money back :)
[/quote]

I actually did figure that out eventually and converted to claiming her as a dependent for the last 8 years. But it pales in comparison to the status change.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
Most, if not all, of mine this year is going towards student loans. I don't think it's that big of a deal to get a refund though. If it's 10K, yeah you should probably adjust your withholding. If it's $1,000, who cares?

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:23:26 AM »
Some of the things I've spent my tax return on:
* New roof for my home (needed it badly)
* Paying off a van loan early
* Paying off car loan early
* Buying new van cash
* Repairing a broken home A/C

This year we have nothing expensive to repair, so we're going to dump it into the mortgage payment.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:32 AM »
before i saw the light i too claimed zero to have a big return of "free money" and bought
a flat screen tv
vacations
paid off credit card debt

now i get a return but not a big one.  i usually take half and stick it in the savings account and the other half does a house project.  this year we are going to DIY a kitchen backsplash.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
We get a refund every year. Not because we pay in(max allowances filed), but because we have three kids and a low income(at least for tax purposes).
We never wasted any return actually. We don't spend any of it like it's free money. It's income like any other income, we just happen to get it in a lump sum. It goes right into the bank. In fact, I feel a high responsibility to use the money wisely since it is a "gift" from other taxpayers to subsidize raising children as future wage earners.

My parents used to get a huge return too. Every Spring we'd all go out to a big seafood dinner. We were allowed to order appetizers, special drinks, adults meals(actually, my parents allowed us to order adult meals all the time, my six year old brother would stun waitresses as he devoured a big plate of snow crab legs)and desserts. But as far as I know, that was the only waste that occurred from the returns. I think the bulk of the return was used to pay our private school tuition.

My parents aren't savers, so the return was like a forced savings account for them. Most of my relatives use the return this way. Treat it like a savings account, buy a little splurge when the return comes and use the rest to pay taxes, insurance, tuition, medical bills, that kind of thing.

For people who can't seem to develop the discipline to save all year, the return is actually a wonderful thing. Consider the alternative, no money saved up to pay the taxes, insurance and tuition but spent in fits throughout the year on stupid stuff because it was burning a hole in their pockets.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »
To Mom to 5

Previously the employer had to send in a copy of any W4 claiming more than 10 exemptions, but that is no longer the case - see link from irs.gov below. They may still be reviewed by special request. If you aren't claiming anything which prevents you from having enough withheld, your employer should have no problem with it.

http://tinyurl.com/kzvaoen
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:08:35 AM by dorothyc »

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
I always spent $100 on fancy cheeses and the rest for credit card debt :(

My first year without any CC debt, I will open a Roth IRA, but I will still spend $100 on fancy cheeses! :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »
-Spending is not necessarily wasting; it's pretty silly to think of a tax refund as "free money," I second whoever said it was "income like any other income."

-Assuming that, the tendency to 'buy things because I have money now' has been well documented on this forum before (people who spend a week working hard on spending their paychecks and another week complaining about being broke).

-That said, sometimes a large purchase is warranted (new computer, a bike, speakers that don't crackle, used car, trip to see family, etc). And I think it's psychologically easier to apply a somewhat unpredictable lump sum toward it than modify your monthly spending/saving arrangement.

-It's pretty hard to simultaneously not count on a refund (which I try not to do) while also not thinking of it as 'fun money' once you get it. (I don't count on mine because in the past few years due to fellowship income--taxable but not withholding eligible--I've sometimes ended up owing, or been close to breaking even. Probably not true for a lot of people.)

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »

My first year without any CC debt, I will open a Roth IRA, but I will still spend $100 on fancy cheeses! :)

You're speaking my language, friend!

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
My plan:  this year's tax refund will be optimized with a max contribution to my 2013 T-IRA and the actual refund will be divided between the T-IRA contribution and a small 0% family loan.  The latter came from owing ~2500 to the IRS last year.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
Since we pay tuition for our son's college, we get a refund due to the American Opportunity Tax credit.    So of course, the refund goes back into savings to pay for more tuition!

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
I usually owe a few bucks, but here's a good story:

My cousin is, well, a trainwreck of a human being.  That's being nice about it.  She's got problems, like serious problems, and small children to support.

Anyway one year, with some tax credits, they managed to snag a SIX THOUSAND dollar refund.

We were all happy thinking she could finally get her house repaired, buy her kids some things for school, have some savings, pay medical bills...

Nope.   They got the return on a Friday and it was gone before Monday.  They still have the 60" TV...

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
With the end of my student loans being a possibility this year, and the correspondingly smaller return next year from a smaller interest deduction, I might buy a bottle of bum wine next year to celebrate like my early 20s self would. Is that adequately wasteful?

Somewhat related, for some reason when I started my current job I decided to claim zero for state purposes. I always get some money back, on the order of $50-75. I can't remember why I did, and it's a small sum of money. Maybe it can be my hidden tax booze fund.

Mustache Fatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
Just chiming in to thank the OP.  I think this thread will be awesome in a month or so!  I will check back often.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »
At least part of our refund is probably going to two mini-vacations in April and July. The rest, emergency  fund, and  a little extra on the grocery fund to stock the pantry. The local restaurant supply is running a great special this month.

Confused about the first post- wast buying a computer at all or waste or just a fancier one than necessary?

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
In my pre-Mustachian days I once got a $9,500 refund.  Within a week the 90-year-old terra cotta sewage pipe behind our house decided that it had had enough tree roots and it was done for. 

So our entire $9,500 refund literally ... went to "waste."  ba-da-bum!!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
We get one, probably too large, but this is going to be our first year with 'real jobs,' and I can't seem to find the sweet spot on our W4s. The money will be going straight into our Roth IRAs.

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Confused about the first post- wast buying a computer at all or waste or just a fancier one than necessary?

I used to have a weakness for gadgets. The computer was very fancy.
Think of custom built desktop with server grade CPU and other fancy things like high end video cards and audio cards. These things can easily run into thousands of dollars. Instead of wasting that money, I could have cleared my student loans. For the record, this year I am using the tax refund to slay the debt dragon.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »
I've always worked it so I get back zero or owe.

In my neighborhood there are usually signs around that time of year advertising "Tax Refund Sale!"  Most often at furniture stores.  Sometimes the pawn shops.

LibraTraci

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
I do have a friend who predictably does something foolish with her tax refund.  Last year, she decided to get rid of her (good quality) hand-me-down furniture (pre-owned by a wealthier relative) and buy something new off the showroom floor.  She wound up getting a cheap-quality sofa and loveseat that were on sale -- ugly to the bone and definitely a step down from the furniture she had before.  Strangely, she decided she didn't like having a loveseat in her living room, so it wound up on the curb within 6 months.   

As for my own tax refund, I get a perverse thrill out of buying investment products.  I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »
I really think get the same "thrill of the purchase" buying $3,000 worth of CDs that someone else might get booking a $3,000 vacation.  (Anyone else love pressing "buy" and watching a hunk of cash become an "investment"?  I then go look at the investment online many times within the next few weeks, the way a new car owner visits their garage unnecessarily, just for the fun of it.)

Good lord, are you me? 

I've actually wondered if I have an obsession with banking/investments.  I check my bank account 3-4 times a day, check my investments and retirement accounts at least weekly, and have a net worth spreadsheet that I update monthly.  My income/expenditures spreadsheet may as well be open all the time (it is) and I look at it constantly, moving things around, playing out different scenarios, and trying to squeeze money out wherever I can.  I know I should keep money in my interest earning checking and savings account until the last minute but I love paying my bills the moment they're due.  It drives me nuts that bills don't clear immediately and I have to wait overnight or *gasp* all weekend!  Am I the only one like this?

/OCD confession

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
You AREN'T the only one! I do the same exact thing! I find myself crunching numbers in notebooks constantly... Trying to squeeze this or that. I put in a payment from my account and its almost painful knowing the balance is "wrong" for the next couple of days :(  And I set up automatic deposits to my Roth and my Emergency Fund (still just a stubble here!), but i need to see them come out and watch them land in the right account... So that doesnt really save me time at all, haha! It certainly feels like an obsession at times. I actually never admitted that to anyone because I thought it was too bizarre :)  "Hello, my name is Nyx... And I'm an obsessive account watcher...."

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
Seriously!  Why don't more people understand how exciting it is to use your money to buy something that makes you more money?  If life were a video game, it would be so obvious to everybody that that's something you should buy!

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »
That reminds me of the first time I made my daughter play Super Mario Bros..... After collecting all the coins, she asked me where the shops were... Uhhh.... There arent any shops.... My daughter then insisted that I explain why they made you collect coins that you couldn't spend :) apparently getting a free life after 100 coins was not an acceptable answer....

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »
Seriously!  Why don't more people understand how exciting it is to use your money to buy something that makes you more money?  If life were a video game, it would be so obvious to everybody that that's something you should buy!

Hah yes exactly.  Random kids make the optimal decisions in rpg's all the time, but when it comes to real life most adults waste all their resources on nonproductive shinies.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
 Almost went there myself. Thought about making a nice custom before coming to earth and realizing computers  do not age like bicycles, to put it mildly. In the end , I snagged a clearance  deal that was just what I needed to replace our old one .

nyxstar10a:  Love it. When I finish the emergency fund, I can hear the "1 up"  sound now :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »

I was just thinking the other day about how planting sunflowers in plants versus zombies is pretty mustachian.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 01:35:57 AM »
I was just thinking the other day about how planting sunflowers in plants versus zombies is pretty mustachian.
And when the first few zombies start coming up on you, don't panic and start buying up expensive peashooters!! Go for the frugal and cost-efficient potato mine! XD

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:00 AM »
Fireman,

I get the same feeling paying bills and making investments.  My favorite is when I can max out our ROTH contributions within the first few months of the year.  My tax refund is a great way to do this.  I also check my accounts 4 or 5 times a day. 

Getting back to wasting refunds...Anyone ever catch the occasional episode of Judge Judy?  Judge Judy always has some perpetually broke person suing another perpetually broke person for an unpaid loan and half of the time the loan was supposed to be secured by the second perpetually broke person's upcoming tax refund. 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »

You're speaking my language, friend!

Money spent on cheese, is money well spent, IMHO.

;)

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »
In my younger days, I probably spent some of my refund on a new laptop or dinner out. I remember using a refund to rid us of the last of our credit card debt years ago, too.

At the ripe old age of 30, I'm just lumping it in with the cash savings for house down payment, and plopping some in stocks. Believe it or not, that's super exciting to me!

Also, +1 to cheese. I could go for a good Wensleydale with Cranberries....

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
I've actually wondered if I have an obsession with banking/investments.  I check my bank account 3-4 times a day, check my investments and retirement accounts at least weekly...but I love paying my bills the moment they're due.  It drives me nuts that bills don't clear immediately and I have to wait overnight or *gasp* all weekend!  Am I the only one like this?

Doh!  I do both of these things too!  And I'm oddly aroused when I see the rent or hydro bill clear my account.  :/

As for the tax return, I'm ashamed to say that (pre-Mustachian) I used to get it, turn to a computer, price and book a trip to the Caribbean using the refund's value as my trip price.  Boom--100% gone in an instant. The timing was always perfect--I'd file as early as possible, get my refund at the end of February, and escape Northern Ontario to somewhere warm for 7 days during one of the harshest months.  (Hopefully leave during the last week of February to return the first week in March.)  I still travel out of the country (once or twice a year), but I'm happy to say I don't do the nonsense of blowing it all without thinking or budgeting price anymore.  This year's goes straight to investments.  Vacation no longer hinges on refund.

TacosForever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
We just got our refunds deposited - $3700 between federal and state. Sheesh. And I just spent most of it... paying off our CC debt from the days when we lived beyond our means. So it's totally wasted money :( Makes me mad. We bought a lot of dumb crap back then and I'm just now finished paying for it.

But at least the debts are cleared now, and I was able to use what was left over to get a full month's buffer in the checking account (YNAB-style). And the CCs have been cut up (haven't used them for months), and our mindset is different now, so we'll never run up that kind of debt again. I'm gonna have to adjust our federal withholding though - the refund we ended up getting was over double what I thought it would be, due to the impact of education credits. Our tax situation will be the same for 2014 so no reason not to fix the W4.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »
We just got our refunds deposited - $3700 between federal and state. Sheesh. And I just spent most of it... paying off our CC debt from the days when we lived beyond our means. So it's totally wasted money :( Makes me mad. We bought a lot of dumb crap back then and I'm just now finished paying for it.

But at least the debts are cleared now, and I was able to use what was left over to get a full month's buffer in the checking account (YNAB-style). And the CCs have been cut up (haven't used them for months), and our mindset is different now, so we'll never run up that kind of debt again. I'm gonna have to adjust our federal withholding though - the refund we ended up getting was over double what I thought it would be, due to the impact of education credits. Our tax situation will be the same for 2014 so no reason not to fix the W4.

I consider that money well used Tacos. You spent the money when you put it on the card. The use of the refund was very optimal to wipe out the debt.

I know someone in the buy here pay here car industry - this is their busiest time of year. I know someone in the payday loan industry - this is their slowest time of year. Both are the direct result of tax refunds.

I don't think I've ever spent a tax refund on something frivolous. I also haven't received a tax refund > $200 in at least 5 years. I'm fortunate enough to receive a bonus check on 12/31 each year, and I have a spreadsheet that calculates almost exactly what my tax liability will be. This makes it very easy to pay a big chunk of your taxes on the last day of the year if you have to.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that calculates almost exactly what my tax liability will be. This makes it very easy to pay a big chunk of your taxes on the last day of the year if you have to.

Would you mind sharing a template for that spreadsheet?  One thing that still gets me is calculating tax liability.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that calculates almost exactly what my tax liability will be. This makes it very easy to pay a big chunk of your taxes on the last day of the year if you have to.

Would you mind sharing a template for that spreadsheet?  One thing that still gets me is calculating tax liability.

I'll send it to you in a PM, but it's by no means perfect. It really doesn't go much into different taxable items like capital gain rates and such. However, it could be a helpful tool for you.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
I'll send it to you in a PM, but it's by no means perfect. It really doesn't go much into different taxable items like capital gain rates and such. However, it could be a helpful tool for you.

Baller.  Thanks!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
Fireman,

Sooo, I guess you can't send an attachment in a PM, so see attached here. It's not the most well organized thing you'll see, but it works well for my crazy brain.

I changed a large majority of the data on here just to keep a little anonymity, so many of these are not really my numbers.

Anytime I put a spreadsheet together the hard data is either red or blue, and everything else calculates itself. So, the red stuff needs to be filled in with your information. You also have to update for tax rates, exemptions, etc. each year. This has already been updated to include the 2014 tax table and exemption amount.

The section on the right let's you track monthly deductions for mortgage interest and these types of things. The totals tie into column C.

It's not perfect, but it will give you a good start if you want modify it to fit your needs. If you have any questions on how it works let me know.

Cheddar