Author Topic: Wasn't sure where to post this. Price of beauty (Yearly budget)  (Read 6325 times)

SofiaBourbon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-high-price-of-beauty-4-women-reveal-their-annual-costs-1452198160

Are there any treatments you indulge? (this could be home made or professional treatments) 

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Friar

• Stubble
Re: Wasn't sure where to post this. Price of beauty (Yearly budget)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Vitamin injections?!

Because we clearly can't just eat well and be done with it; vitamins now need to be delivered intravenously!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
Going to all those appointments  sounds like a pain in the ass, not to mention the insane amounts they're spending.

I think it's funny that the one woman justifies fake lashes as saving her time, but manages to find time for all those salon treatments.   I got a massage a couple years ago and it was nice but just scheduling it, getting over there, and then trying to relax and hydrate the rest of the day was way too much of a time sacking hassle for me.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
I don't even enjoy the rare pedicure.  The massaging of my neck and shoulders, massaging my legs, i could care less just give me a pedicure as quickly as possible, I don't need or want to feel like I am at a spa. You couldn't pay me to take a spa vacation

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »
A spa would just put me to sleep. I can do that for myself on the couch for free. ;)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
I don't even enjoy the rare pedicure.  The massaging of my neck and shoulders, massaging my legs, i could care less just give me a pedicure as quickly as possible, I don't need or want to feel like I am at a spa. You couldn't pay me to take a spa vacation

Oh yeah... I think it was the first year DH and I were dating... he bought me a spa package for my birthday that must have been $200+.  Massage, mani/pedi, facial etc.  Probably something his stupid female co-workers said would be a good idea.  I never used it, and he learned quickly that I only like useful gifts.  Have never had a pedicure, but I'm not crazy about just anyone touching my feet, and a manicurist would run screaming from my gardener/horsewoman hands.

Wow, this is making me feel great about living in an out-of-the-way section of the country and working in a setting where the dress and grooming standards are so much more relaxed.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Ridiculous extravagance

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

ahoy

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 01:41:13 AM »
Just crazy... Maybe these women should cut back and donate some of this money to people in need. 

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:59:28 AM »
Just crazy... Maybe these women should cut back and donate some of this money to people in need.
Most of the people who I work with who spend a lot of money on beauty treatments really should be saving it.

One lady I work with spends $120 every three months on eyelash extensions and is always proclaiming to be down to double digits in her bank account before payday.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »
One lady I work with spends $120 every three months on eyelash extensions

This is why mascara was invented.  My last mascara cost just under $5 Canadian (sale on my favourite brand).  $5 versus $120 is nice, and I bet she uses mascara too - and not an under $10 tube from the pharmacy/Walmart.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »

One lady I work with spends $120 every three months on eyelash extensions and is always proclaiming to be down to double digits in her bank account before payday.
[/quote]

that is incredibly stupid but in her defense, if she is older, no one tells you that menopause causes you to have like half the eyelashes you normally had.  But still, she's ridiculous

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »
I don't get this. I mean: I could budget "beauty" and not go broke. But I can not bugdet "beauty" and have time for all the important stuff and people in life. Where do these people find all that time for "sitting around being horribly bored"?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

You could say this about pretty much everything Americans spend money on.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 07:47:07 AM »
Meh.  All these women were in the beauty/entertainment industry.  Of course they are going to spend way more on their looks, that is their money maker.

At my most anti-MMM, I got a blowout once a month or more if I had a cocktail party to attend.

Mani/pedi twice a month in the summer time.  Winter mani twice a month pedi once a month.

I did spend a ton on makeup, I used to wear Armani foundation/concealer, but no longer.  Now all the make up I have can fit in one small case and I don't wear it everyday anymore so it will last a long time.

I still get my nails done about once a month.  I tried doing them myself and it always ended up a huge mess. 

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 02:47:50 AM »
that is incredibly stupid but in her defense, if she is older, no one tells you that menopause causes you to have like half the eyelashes you normally had.  But still, she's ridiculous
She is mid 20's...

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »
I'm not going to lie - it was fun to read this! I've never been a make-up person but hair/skin/fitness stuff is sort of my day dreaming jam. Back when we were DINKs we saved like crazy and still had fun money. I spent some of that money on my hair. I think when you find a stylist that gets your look they are gift. Back then I paid more than I care to admit a year towards cuts and colors but my hair looked so good! I also once paid him to teach me how to do my own blow out - worth it!

Then I moved and I never found someone else who could do what amazing Randy could do. All of the sudden it wasn't worth it anymore.

Now my entire Christmas/birthday list is just skin and hair products so that I don't have to spend money on them. But I miss the days of pampering and I truly long for an entire spa day (massage, sauna, wrap, facial, pedi - lunch and wine included). It is what I will buy to reward myself when our savings hits a certain milestone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!