Author Topic: Was Being AntiMustachian. Realized I Could Be Worse  (Read 8609 times)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
Was Being AntiMustachian. Realized I Could Be Worse
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
So I was buying something expensive that was unnecessary and AntiMustachian. Then the sales person made it worse.

I like to cook so as a special treat to myself I decided to buy a ridiculously expensive chef's knife at $100. It's very fancy and I feel a little flutter of indulgent happiness each time I use it.

However, I went up to the counter to purchase this fancy knife that was expensive and was asked the oddest question. "Would you like to put that on our payment plan?"

...What? I swear to god I must have given this poor woman who's job it is to ask that question the most disgusted look.

Has anyone else been in a situation where they were doing something frivolous that deserves a bit of a face punch and instead is slapped with a worse option?

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
Re: Was Being AntiMustachian. Realized I Could Be Worse
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
I imagine a large percentage of people buying it do use the payment plan, they just call it  a credit card.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
I remember when department stores used to offer lay away. You just pay a little at a time, they hold the items for you, until you finish the last payment.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
I believe it's called "upselling."  At McDonalds they used to ask if you wanted to "supersize."  At the movies they ask if you'd like the extra large popcorn. Car dealerships are looking for the warranty package.  At a retailer they want to know if you'd like a store credit card they so they can squeeze a few points of interest out of you.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
I don't think $100 for a chef's knife is antimustachian. I recognize that it could be a large purchase for you, but good knives are worth their price if you cook. They hold up very well and make it more enjoyable to prep. I don't take good care of my things so I'm content with my relatively cheap knife set, but I plan to buy a good chef's knife one of these days.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:47 PM »
I don't think $100 for a chef's knife is antimustachian. I recognize that it could be a large purchase for you, but good knives are worth their price if you cook. They hold up very well and make it more enjoyable to prep. I don't take good care of my things so I'm content with my relatively cheap knife set, but I plan to buy a good chef's knife one of these days.

I second that. I inherited a couple expensive kitchen knifes, and they're a pleasure to use. They're well-balanced with well-shaped handles, and they hold their edge much longer than less expensive knifes. I'd go so far as to say they make slicing and dicing safer because they handle better, like an expensive sports car I guess. Assuming you handle them properly of course and know how to avoid cutting your finger off.

One thing about them though is that unless you're really good at sharpening knifes you might consider having them professionally sharpened. A properly-ground edge cuts better and lasts longer. Not sure how much that costs though. I've had my knifes for a couple years, use them nearly every day, and they're still sharp.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
I remember when department stores used to offer lay away. You just pay a little at a time, they hold the items for you, until you finish the last payment.

My Mom loved layaway when I was young. She did not have credit cards, and we were, well, not poor exactly, but there was never any extra money around. She put things on layaway. She also used Green Stamps to get things. Anyone remember those?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »

I second that. I inherited a couple expensive kitchen knifes, and they're a pleasure to use. They're well-balanced with well-shaped handles, and they hold their edge much longer than less expensive knifes. I'd go so far as to say they make slicing and dicing safer because they handle better, like an expensive sports car I guess. Assuming you handle them properly of course and know how to avoid cutting your finger off.

One thing about them though is that unless you're really good at sharpening knifes you might consider having them professionally sharpened. A properly-ground edge cuts better and lasts longer. Not sure how much that costs though. I've had my knifes for a couple years, use them nearly every day, and they're still sharp.
Third this. I have my eye on a Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef's Knife. But my 7" Santoku (unkown brand) is doing well after over 5 years without requiring sharpening.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
I was looking into getting professional photos getting done for the family.  The packages start at $250 and some of the higher packages were around $800 - depends on the number of hours you had the photographer and whether they were doing prints, etc.

The website was advertising a payment plan.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
I was looking into getting professional photos getting done for the family.  The packages start at $250 and some of the higher packages were around $800 - depends on the number of hours you had the photographer and whether they were doing prints, etc.

We've had the same dentist for 11 years. Any time that a member of my family has needed dental work that goes beyond the standard cleaning & exam, the front office prepares an estimate for us that shows the expected insurance and how much we'll owe.  And a 2nd page is always attached that explains their special dental-care financing option.  This used to bug me that they thought we couldn't afford $500 or whatever it was...but then I realized they are making $ off selling the loan to a finance company, and at the same time saving the fee that a credit card would charge them.  I wonder if that's what the photo website is doing.  Win-win for them if you decide to use their financing instead of a credit card.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:03:02 PM by ohsnap »

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »

We're car shopping right now for a new-to-us vehicle, and one of the dealership websites has a "shop by your car payment!" feature... where you could figure out a car you could purchase because it cost $X a month. I pity the fool who would go through that and get saddled with a car they really couldn't afford because they signed up for one of those 72-month loans to make it "affordable", only to not have the car 36 months later.

Right now I feel like we deserve face-punches for how much money we're about to drop on a vehicle when you consider our current financial picture, but then I remember its for me to get to and from my new job starting soon and try to make myself feel better.

flyAway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »

My Mom loved layaway when I was young. She did not have credit cards, and we were, well, not poor exactly, but there was never any extra money around. She put things on layaway. She also used Green Stamps to get things. Anyone remember those?

Thank you!  I had memories of my mom using stamps (Georgia/80s), but I had forgotten how they worked.  My parents also used layaway, for the same reason.
veering off topic, but here is an interesting article about the stamps from 1985: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1985-08-19/business/8502030960_1_trading-stamps-green-stamps-sh-stamps
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:43:51 AM by flyAway »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »

We've had the same dentist for 11 years. Any time that a member of my family has needed dental work that goes beyond the standard cleaning & exam, the front office prepares an estimate for us that shows the expected insurance and how much we'll owe.  And a 2nd page is always attached that explains their special dental-care financing option.  This used to bug me that they thought we couldn't afford $500 or whatever it was...but then I realized they are making $ off selling the loan to a finance company, and at the same time saving the fee that a credit card would charge them.  I wonder if that's what the photo website is doing.  Win-win for them if you decide to use their financing instead of a credit card.
I know lots of people who need the financing plan and when it's for something like essential dentistry work, I'm happy that they have that option. I know it would be better if they had the money saved, but with a minimum wage job and no dental plan from the employer it's hard to save up enough for emergency dental work so I think a financing plan is better than not getting the care at all. For stuff like department store purchases, no, just save up.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »

Yup, I bought an $80 chef's knife about 6 years ago, along with a sharpening stone setup. I still use it to this day and sharpen it every 1-3 months. I've had my eye on a $100 one from a popular online vendor, but just can't justify it since my current one works so well.

For those of you who claim to have had a knife over 6 months without sharpening that's still sharp, color me skeptical. I suspect you just haven't used an actually sharp knife in a long time. Dulling is one of those things that happens so gradually it's tough to tell if you aren't looking for it. That's why every review online for any knife talks about how sharp it is, the reviewer is transitioning over from their old knife.

Is your 3 year old knife sharp enough to work? Yeah, I've used knives at other people's houses that were brutally dull, but they still do work as long as they're some sort of thinnish metal wedge. You typically have to put what I consider a dangerous amount of force behind the cuts, but you can get the job done.  My recommendation is get a $30 king combo stone and learn how to sharpen by hand. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but it's a good skill to have.  That $30 stone will probably last your whole lifetime, and will save you a few knife purchases over the years. It'll also make your brisket slices nicer, and your homemade sushi cleaner.

edit: A great example is my girlfriend's aunt. She's had the same old knives for probably ten or more years, and my girlfriend's grandma insists she only likes these old knives and they're just right for her and are plenty sharp. I finally got them a Victorinox 8" because I didn't always remember to bring my knife when I planned on cooking, and basically massacred a huge brisket that took 15 hours to cook.  Once they got the Victorinox, grandma quickly changed her tone and loves it. They both couldn't believe how sharp it was and how easy it cut through everything.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:31:26 AM by ooeei »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 03:25:40 AM »

Thank you!  I had memories of my mom using stamps (Georgia/80s), but I had forgotten how they worked.  My parents also used layaway, for the same reason.
veering off topic, but here is an interesting article about the stamps from 1985: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1985-08-19/business/8502030960_1_trading-stamps-green-stamps-sh-stamps
That article was a hoot! Yes, I remember S&H Green Stamps, Blue Chip Stamps, and Wise Owl Stamps. I also vaguely remember orange-colored stamps, possibly Gold Bond. Trading Stamps, they were called. We even had a Redemption Center in our town. My mom used to accumulate zillions of stamps grocery shopping for our family of eight. It used to be my job to fill the books. IIRC, I got to keep one book for every ten or twenty I filled.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »

For those of you who claim to have had a knife over 6 months without sharpening that's still sharp, color me skeptical. I suspect you just haven't used an actually sharp knife in a long time. Dulling is one of those things that happens so gradually it's tough to tell if you aren't looking for it. That's why every review online for any knife talks about how sharp it is, the reviewer is transitioning over from their old knife.

Seconded. Get the knife sharpened and you'll be amazed about how much better it cuts through anything. I can tell the difference in cutting with a simple honing steel.

I've had a nice Santoku for about a year that I've been using semi-consistently for the last 6-7 months. I'm putting a good sharpening stone on my Christmas list for the family to get. That thing will see some pretty heavy usage and hopefully last forever.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »

At the risk of turning this into a vitamix thread, I agree. I have one expensive nice chef's knife and stone. I cook almost every meal at home.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
I dunno, I am not a cooking expert, but I think a lot of the value in a good high-quality life is that it holds its sharpness for a long time. If you go years without sharpening, I don't think there'll be a big difference between a $25/knife and a $200/knife.

If I'm going to splurge, I'll do it on a good multi-clad saucepan and saute pan. Just my thoughts...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:43:42 PM by A Definite Beta Guy »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
I cook every meal at home and I use a piece of shit $5 Farberware chef's knife. :v

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 11:33:09 AM »
We cook every meal at home and we use a no-brand knife that I sharpen and hone myself. Although my sharpening skills are far from perfect, I found out that when using my knife or a ridiculously expensive knife (like my mother's) to dice onions, I always end up with diced onions.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
We cook every meal at home and we use a no-brand knife that I sharpen and hone myself. Although my sharpening skills are far from perfect, I found out that when using my knife or a ridiculously expensive knife (like my mother's) to dice onions, I always end up with diced onions.

Just in one case you're more likely to get there a bit slower and end up with a diced finger as well!

But I agree, a dull knife still cuts most things well enough. In the same vein, a walmart mountain bike from craigslist still gets you to your destination most of the time.