Author Topic: Wall Street Oasis poster renounces former frugality  (Read 21349 times)

kathrynd

• Bristles
Re: Wall Street Oasis poster renounces former frugality
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 07:08:43 AM »
Tip if you want to.

Don't tip, if you don't want to.

The restaurant employees work are not my concern.
They took that job voluntarily.
If they don't like it leave.
Thank you for your insights, Ms. Rand. As long as we're all clear that the system would fail to operate if everyone took that approach, you're more than welcome to practice it. Please inspect your food closely for stray hairs and saliva once the word gets out. ;)
How about the furniture (and other) sales people, who rely on commission sales....do you tip them?
Of course you don't.
That's quite disingenuous. The salesperson's commission is guaranteed, while the server will make nothing, or even less than nothing, if tipped 0% and taxed on an assumed higher value.
I don't like the system we have, but as long as it is in place, it is downright inhuman to pretend it's not in place.

Came across this today...found it quite interesting.
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/why-you-should-stop-tipping-reasons-not-to-tip

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Thank you for your insights, Ms. Rand. As long as we're all clear that the system would fail to operate if everyone took that approach, you're more than welcome to practice it. Please inspect your food closely for stray hairs and saliva once the word gets out. ;)
How about the furniture (and other) sales people, who rely on commission sales....do you tip them?
Of course you don't.
That's quite disingenuous. The salesperson's commission is guaranteed, while the server will make nothing, or even less than nothing, if tipped 0% and taxed on an assumed higher value.
I don't like the system we have, but as long as it is in place, it is downright inhuman to pretend it's not in place.

Came across this today...found it quite interesting.
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/why-you-should-stop-tipping-reasons-not-to-tip
I read the entire article.  I think the author's entire "solution" of not tipping on service rendered is ridiculous.  My take away (if you want to see a massive closure of restaurants and bars that require tipping) is to stop going to places that require a tip.  No sit down restaurants.  No bars.  Then your lack of spending hits the restaurant owners who the author paints as the villains instead of the servers. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm all for changing the system but I loathe the idea of all the service employees getting caught in the middle there.
It's true, if you wanna make an omelette, you gotta break some eggs... but I think the scale of the collateral damage under this concept would be excessive.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.
Then again...maybe the Americans here do.

*Removed offensive words in previous post*

Eat at a restaurant or bar if you want to tip, eat at home or McDonalds if you don't.    How about that?   Have you ever worked a shit job for no money?    I have.   Humping an old dude's golf bag for 5+ hours for a grand total of about $12.   Not to mention the 3 hours I waited for a loop, or having to pick up balls behind the range (unpaid except for a soda).    That's hard work and you deserve at least minimum wage for it.

If you don't like the system don't participate in it.   I don't like paying $5 for a beer or $40 for dinner so I eat and drink at home.   Why are you eating at restaurants if you're that cheap anyways?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:34:45 PM by greaper007 »

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 10:13:16 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

Eat at a restaurant or bar if you want to tip, eat at home or McDonalds if you don't.    How about that?   Have you ever worked a shit job for no money?    I have.   Humping an old dude's golf bag for 5+ hours for a grand total of about $12.   Not to mention the 3 hours I waited for a loop, or having to pick up balls behind the range (unpaid except for a soda).    That's hard work and you deserve at least minimum wage for it.

If you don't like the system don't participate in it.   I don't like paying $5 for a beer or $40 for dinner so I eat and drink at home.   Why are you eating at restaurants if you're a cheap ass anyways?

You know, I have never called you names...until now...you really are a fxxxxx  a** wipe.

What are you doing eating in restaurants if you are such a Mustachian?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:22:05 PM by kathrynd »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

If you don't like the system don't participate in it.   I don't like paying $5 for a beer or $40 for dinner so I eat and drink at home.   Why are you eating at restaurants if you're a cheap ass anyways?

You know, I have never called you names...until now...you really are a fxxxxx  a** wipe.

Umm, I said that I generally don't.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

As a retired person, who travels 8 months of the  year in Australia, where you don't  tip, I rarely eat at restaurants where tipping is expected.

However, that still doesn't change my  POV on tipping.
Just because you don't happen to like my POV, doesn't give you the right to be rude to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

As a retired person, who travels 8 months of the  year in Australia, where you don't  tip, I rarely eat at restaurants where tipping is expected.

Just because you don't happen to like my POV, doesn't give you the right to be rude to me.

Funny how that works, since you don't happen to like your waiter's POV, which you think gives you the right to be rude to them by not tipping.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 12:10:45 AM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

Funny how that works, since you don't happen to like your waiter's POV, which you think gives you the right to be rude to them by not tipping.

Excuse me, but my post was in reply to Greaper007....and he is not my waiter.
I have never been rude to a wait staff in my life.

Tipping is voluntary.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »
Tip if you want to.

Of course you don't.

Excuse me, but my post was in reply to Greaper007....and he is not my waiter.
I have never been rude to a wait staff in my life.

Tipping is voluntary.

Not tipping in places where tipping is the norm is certainly rude.

Similarly, being respectful to you is completely voluntary.  Being voluntary does not preclude the possibility that it is expected in polite society.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
MOD NOTE: Being polite to each other is not voluntary on this forum.  It is the expectation, per forum rule #1.  Please be kind to each other, regardless of if you think someone is a * for not tipping, or you think someone is a * for calling you a * for not tipping, or whatever.  Cheers!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
MOD NOTE: Being polite to each other is not voluntary on this forum.  It is the expectation, per forum rule #1.  Please be kind to each other, regardless of if you think someone is a * for not tipping, or you think someone is a * for calling you a * for not tipping, or whatever.  Cheers!

I apologize for the language, I should have used another adjective.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »

It's voluntary in that it's not illegal to be rude on the forum.  Moderators may or may not ban someone for being rude, and a restaurant may or may not ban someone for not tipping, but clearly you can get away with both, and neither are polite.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »

It's voluntary in that it's not illegal to be rude on the forum.  Moderators may or may not ban someone for being rude, and a restaurant may or may not ban someone for not tipping, but clearly you can get away with both, and neither are polite.

Touche.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!