Author Topic: waffle house!!!  (Read 21897 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: waffle house!!!
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Are we seriously debating the geography of TN? Either way, I think we all agree that Gatlinburg can be beautiful for hiking. Went there for a couple of shows a few years back and enjoyed that city and Severville.

Yes.  This is a discussion forum, no harm in having a friendly discussion.  We all agree that it's beautiful for hiking.  And also for driving.  Lots of wildlife too.  Crazy steep roads though, I can't imagine being their with ice and snow on the ground.  I don't know how you'd make it up any of the local road ways.

Yeah, I remember driving from central NC to TN and it was scary driving around the mountain. On the way back, we took a slightly longer route that was way safer.

I like mountains, if I were to live in the US after FIRE, I would highly consider CO or Ashville, NC, but that's just two places I've seen and enjoyed, definitely want to check out Oregon.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
Are we seriously debating the geography of TN? Either way, I think we all agree that Gatlinburg can be beautiful for hiking. Went there for a couple of shows a few years back and enjoyed that city and Severville.

Yes.  This is a discussion forum, no harm in having a friendly discussion.  We all agree that it's beautiful for hiking.  And also for driving.  Lots of wildlife too.  Crazy steep roads though, I can't imagine being their with ice and snow on the ground.  I don't know how you'd make it up any of the local road ways.

Yeah, I remember driving from central NC to TN and it was scary driving around the mountain. On the way back, we took a slightly longer route that was way safer.

I like mountains, if I were to live in the US after FIRE, I would highly consider CO or Ashville, NC, but that's just two places I've seen and enjoyed, definitely want to check out Oregon.

Several inland citys in the south made the outside magazine list of beset places to live, most/all had tolerable COL. 
http://www.outsideonline.com/1928016/16-best-places-live-us-2014  I was just in the SF bay area and if the housing was not insane I would love to live there; I am really not much of a beach or ocean person but somehow I always see myself living within easy drive of the coast.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
Gatlinburg is in the middle of Tennessee.   It is beautiful around that area though. I took my honeymoon there.

I wasn't trying to imply that Gatlinburg is in Kentucky but you have to drive through Kentucky to get there from Cincinnati.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »

I loved my few days in Portland, OR. I'd seriously look at that part of the country (PNW) if I wanted to move.

JoeBlow: I got ya. ;) My cousin sent pics of snow on the ground in the higher elevations of the GSMNP last weekend. We spend a weekend in the Smokies or Gatlinburg once a year. We like it if its not too crowded. Not really there for the touristy shops - mostly drop in for a nice meal, and a place to sleep between a couple of days of hiking or sightseeing. We love to camp but sometimes camping isn't convenient in the winter.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:45:00 PM by Joe Average »

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »

That's when the 4WD or AWD makes sense. ;) Around Gatlinburg I think they do a good job of salting the roads. Of course all that winds up in the creeks I suppose.

I guess that's what gets my knickers in a twist on MMM when the idea of having 4WD/AWD is taking a verbal beating. Snow is a little different depending on where you live and what kind of roads you drive.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
I have never been to a Waffle House I was told the staff alone usually looks scary.  I am mildly curious about them.  I can usually hit IHOP or Denny's for a cheap breakfast.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
I have never been to a Waffle House I was told the staff alone usually looks scary.  I am mildly curious about them.  I can usually hit IHOP or Denny's for a cheap breakfast.

I'd say it depends entirely on the time of day that you visit.  Go during the breakfast rush and you'll get staff that aren't any different than at any other greasy-spoon style dinner.  Go at 3am and you're likely to find some very, very interesting characters (both staff and customers). 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »

If you like Asheville and CO, make sure to check out Flagstaff or Prescott, AZ.

In Flagstaff you're within easy driving distance of the Grand Canyon and a national forest, camping is unbelievable, there's a lifetime's worth of hiking, the altitude is up high enough for there to be four solid seasons, and it's not as hot as Tucson. Real estate is priced higher than average, but not as expensive as Phoenix or Sedona. It's not a huge city but there's some night life and culture. It's got a college-y feel and a bit of a hippie influence but good year-round outdoor activities. Prescott is smaller and has many of the same advantages but is supposedly a lower COL area. The mountains aren't completely out of reach although you're not living right in them (no fun in winter).

Job market is said to be slow in both Flagstaff and Prescott, but if you're FIRE, who cares?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »

In Flagstaff you're within easy driving distance of the Grand Canyon and a national forest, camping is unbelievable, there's a lifetime's worth of hiking, the altitude is up high enough for there to be four solid seasons, and it's not as hot as Tucson. Real estate is priced higher than average, but not as expensive as Phoenix or Sedona. It's not a huge city but there's some night life and culture. It's got a college-y feel and a bit of a hippie influence but good year-round outdoor activities. Prescott is smaller and has many of the same advantages but is supposedly a lower COL area. The mountains aren't completely out of reach although you're not living right in them (no fun in winter).

Job market is said to be slow in both Flagstaff and Prescott, but if you're FIRE, who cares?

Thanks I will. I was just in Phoenix a week ago visiting family and while it was fun, I didn't think much of the city itself. Maybe Flagstaff is different, but it felt like a city without an identity, full of transplants. But I was only in town for a few days and maybe I have the wrong impression.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2015, 06:35:25 AM »

Thanks I will. I was just in Phoenix a week ago visiting family and while it was fun, I didn't think much of the city itself. Maybe Flagstaff is different, but it felt like a city without an identity, full of transplants. But I was only in town for a few days and maybe I have the wrong impression.

Flagstaff is three hours from Phoenix; Prescott is two. Phoenix is an entirely different climate and topography due to altitude changes. Comparing Prescott and Flagstaff to Phoenix is an apples to oranges comparison. So they are worth a look even if you didn't like your time in Phoenix.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »

Spent two nights in Flagstaff, is an incredible town and area.  Really cool downtown, mountains like right there and as you said the grand canyon is an hour away.  I think about 1/3 of the cars had bike racks on them.  Food was incredible too.  Checked zillow and the housing is not cheap within walking distance of the city center but not as stupid as some other places.  Biggest downside might be the winter, a local said they get many feet of snow each year but apparently locals deal with it.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
I want to do the Waffle House Valentine's Day Dinner. Table clothes, candles, flowers.  I called last year but none of them in my city were doing it.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »
\
It is amazing how much you notice it when you are used to smoking free places for many years.  Kentucky looks like a beautiful state, however.  At least along the highway stretches from Cincinnati towards Gatlinburg.  I had a free weekend during a work trip and decided to do some hiking around Gatlinburg.  It was a memorable trip.  Someday I would like to do the AT.

Gatlinburg is in the middle of Tennessee.   It is beautiful around that area though. I took my honeymoon there.

I recently drove to Alabama, and there were a few stops in Kentucky where I got bombarded by smoking.  Gas stations not only had smoking inside, but had slot machines set up in the front.  So people were sitting there gambling and chain smoking.  These gas stations/restaurants were in the middle of nowhere too, so I don't know where these people came from - they must be locals.   Every building I went into had a thick headache inducing fog you had to walk through to use the rest room.  I've gotten so used to the no indoor smoking in Ohio and Michigan that it totally blew my mind when I encountered it.

Gatlinburg is near the NC border. Not even in the middle of TN north to south. ;)

The older I get the less tolerance I have for grungy gas stations and their bathrooms. I figure by the time I'm 90 I'll have to travel by private coach with it's own onboard bathroom... ;) That said the TN rest stop we used over the weekend was cleaner than any other I've ever seen.

It is totally in the middle of TN north to south, but the eastern border runs at an angle so that it is actually very close to the NC border.  Despite being so close to the border it's latitude is still right in the middle of Tennessee.  Either way my original point was that it's not in Kentucky.

Well, in Tennessee there is no "Central Tennessee." We call the Nashville area +60 mile radius "Middle Tennessee." Also, East Nashville is NW of downtown Nashville. You won't get far with directional logic here.

Back to topic, there are hundreds of Waffle Houses around here, and those hash browns. I've gone a couple of times for hash browns and coffee. No regrets. And there's a Waffle House kiosk in the Atlanta Braves' Stadium. The smell permeates the entire concourse.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. Two impulse food destinations for me b/c they are so ubiquitous.

Got the itch to go hiking today after a quick trip outside during lunch. Few more days, few more days...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
Love me some Waffle House. We don't get it up here, but any time we travel somewhere that has them we stop. Just had some on Sunday while in St. Louis.

For all of you folks complaining about the cost--my issue is the scale of it. I don't keep enough food at home to make everything that I can get there, or anywhere. We don't keep sausages or bacon in the house, or 5 different kinds of toast. I typically don't have jalapenos and mushrooms hanging around.

I cannot make a waffle like theirs, and even though I can come close to their hash browns, mine aren’t s good.
But we are able to get our price for 2 down to about $7 and be completely full. Everytime I go to WH, I look at the menu and think “Man, everything is so cheap!” and then am shocked when our bill (with tip) is $25 for the two of us and realize we ordered about 3.5 meals each. Probably because we love it so much and only get it about once a year.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
...  I typically don't have jalapenos and mushrooms hanging around (in my house).

Your kind is not welcome in my thread :-)   jk.  My kitchen always has something spicy and some mushrooms even if they are in a can.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
...  I typically don't have jalapenos and mushrooms hanging around (in my house).

Your kind is not welcome in my thread :-)   jk.  My kitchen always has something spicy and some mushrooms even if they are in a can.

I love jalapenos--but when I cook with them, wifey can't eat whatever it is. She just can't do spicy. So they inevitably end up going bad, and waste money.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »

Well, in Tennessee there is no "Central Tennessee." We call the Nashville area +60 mile radius "Middle Tennessee." Also, East Nashville is NW of downtown Nashville. You won't get far with directional logic here.

Back to topic, there are hundreds of Waffle Houses around here, and those hash browns. I've gone a couple of times for hash browns and coffee. No regrets. And there's a Waffle House kiosk in the Atlanta Braves' Stadium. The smell permeates the entire concourse.

Any favorite diners or restaurants you recommend in N'ville? we'll be there next week during the week. We live just a skip and jump to the east.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »

Any favorite diners or restaurants you recommend in N'ville? we'll be there next week during the week. We live just a skip and jump to the east.

Hattie B's Hot Chicken!

(Don't live there though, I'd like to see what a local says)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »

Just off the top of my head, here are 3 possibilities that you might consider.  None of them will break your budget.  In increasing order of adventuresome-ness:
Hot Chicken is a Nashville specialty.  We even celebrate a Hot Chicken festival every July 4th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_chicken

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Hattie B's Hot Chicken!

(Don't live there though, I'd like to see what a local says)

Hattie B's is okay, but more geared for the tourists who don't really desire the true hot chicken experience.  Their extra-hot doesn't reach medium levels of Princes, Boltons, or 400 Degrees.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »
I'm a meat and three person over hot chicken so I would suggest Wendell Smith's or Puckett's. Just west down the road from Wendell Smith's are several great cash-only Vietnamese spots.

Puckett's has a store just off Broadway downtown near all the honky-tonks. My favorite music spot is Layla's on Broadway - more old country, country rock, bluegrass, and extremely amazing musicality.

As far as diners? This isn't New Jersey. You get Waffle House.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
Puckett's I have been to. Was good.

Thanks for the recommendations!!!