Author Topic: waffle house!!!  (Read 21917 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
waffle house!!!
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
Out and about running errands Sunday (bought treadmill off craigslist!-score) and gf was about to die from hunger, literally die! So we stopped at waffle house.  First time either of us has been there in many years.  I got one waffle and a side of hashbrowns, she got one waffle, hashbrowns, two eggs and toast.  She had a coffee to drink and I had an OJ, bill came to 20$ before tip. 

How the hell can half a potato, two eggs and some flower cost 20$!!!  Have not done the math but I think I could make the same food (and just as tasty) for under 5$, easy. 

We dont eat out much and when we do it tends to be more of a date night at a good place.  I almost feel better about spending 80$ on a few cocktails, appetizer and good dinner that I could not make at home than 20$ on something I have literally made before my first cup of coffee in a bathrobe. 

More power to Waffle House for doing what they can and they were crazy busy Sunday so apparently lots of people are willing to spend 20$ on a pair of eggs.  But man no way I can justify it on the regular.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: waffle house!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
How the hell can half a potato, two eggs and some flower cost 20$!!!  Have not done the math but I think I could make the same food (and just as tasty) for under 5$, easy. 

General rule of thumb in the restaurant industry is that menu prices should be 3-4x the cost of your ingredients.  You aren't paying just for the food, but for the food, the booth you sit in, a share of the wages for the server who brought it to you, the cook who made it for you, the dishwasher who will clean up after you and some profit for the owner and the corporation.  Basically, that's the cost to sit around like a king and have people do all the work for you.

Yes, it's way more expensive than making it at home (healthier too). But that's about what it costs to run a service restaurant - the profit margins really aren't that great per customer.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »
Now I want a waffle with blueberries, whipped cream (the real thing, not that weird canned stuff), and real maple syrup.

This is ALL your fault.

On the plus side, I'm not likely to find such things at the local International House of Starch and Sugar. The waffle, perhaps. The things that make the waffle worth eating, not so likely.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »
We don't have these things called Waffle House on my side of the world and I was rather perplexed when I went to Carolina for the first time and saw these things popping up in fields all over the place on the drive from  Charlotte south. My sister and I passed our 2+ hour drive by counting the number of these suckers we saw though I can't say I was ever tempted to go inside. Is the menu on the order of a Denny's?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
We don't have these things called Waffle House on my side of the world and I was rather perplexed when I went to Carolina for the first time and saw these things popping up in fields all over the place on the drive from  Charlotte south. My sister and I passed our 2+ hour drive by counting the number of these suckers we saw though I can't say I was ever tempted to go inside. Is the menu on the order of a Denny's?

The menu is 85% eggs, hashbrowns and side meats.  WH is largely what we would call breakfast foods, definitely worth one trip if you have never been just for the experience and people watching. 

General rule of thumb in the restaurant industry is that menu prices should be 3-4x the cost of your ingredients.
I had heard that before but seeing it in action and applied to a pair sunny side up eggs was a bit stark.  Knowing I can buy eggs for under 20 cents each and being charged 2.5$ for a pair with side of toast is hard to not see.  Totally get that WH has to pay employees and the rent ect, table delivery service and all that.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
Out and about running errands Sunday (bought treadmill off craigslist!-score) and gf was about to die from hunger, literally die! So we stopped at waffle house.  First time either of us has been there in many years.  I got one waffle and a side of hashbrowns, she got one waffle, hashbrowns, two eggs and toast.  She had a coffee to drink and I had an OJ, bill came to 20$ before tip. 

We dont eat out much and when we do it tends to be more of a date night at a good place.  I almost feel better about spending 80$ on a few cocktails, appetizer and good dinner that I could not make at home than 20$ on something I have literally made before my first cup of coffee in a bathrobe. 

More power to Waffle House for doing what they can and they were crazy busy Sunday so apparently lots of people are willing to spend 20$ on a pair of eggs.  But man no way I can justify it on the regular.

First of all should have gotten a double ($4 versus $3)
Waffle (Single)  $3.00
Waffle (Double)  $4.00
(2 single waffles)=$6
hashbrowns
Regular  $1.95
Large  $2.45
Triple  $2.70
All The Way  $5.00
(not sure which level of hasbrowns you got). Better to get a large hashbrown and split than get 2 sides.
2 hashbrowns could be anywhere from 3.9 to $10!
2 eggs $3.55
toast (? can't find on menu $1?)
coffee 1.75
oj Orange Juice (Regular)  $1.75
Orange Juice (Large)  $2.00

Ordering from Waffle house is a skill you have not yet mastered. For example you could have ordered 2 sausage or bacon, egg and cheese biscuits for $5. Or at the least ordered 2 waffles, and then split them. Same thing with large order of hashbrowns. Being a poor student, Waffle house was one of the cheapest places to eat (look at lunch menu prices), and is open 24 hours. And yes, one of the more "interesting" people watching places, understatement!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:47:51 PM by partgypsy »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »

First of all should have gotten a double ($4 versus $3)
Waffle (Single)  $3.00
Waffle (Double)  $4.00
(2 single waffles)=$6
hashbrowns
Regular  $1.95
Large  $2.45
Triple  $2.70
All The Way  $5.00
(not sure which level of hasbrowns you got). Better to get a large hashbrown and split than get 2 sides.
2 hashbrowns could be anywhere from 3.9 to $10!
2 eggs $3.55
toast (? can't find on menu $1?)
coffee 1.75
oj Orange Juice (Regular)  $1.75
Orange Juice (Large)  $2.00

Ordering from Waffle house is a skill you have not yet mastered. For example you could have ordered 2 sausage or bacon, egg and cheese biscuits for $5. Or at the least ordered 2 waffles, and then split them. Same thing with large order of hashbrowns. Being a poor student, Waffle house was one of the cheapest places to eat (look at lunch menu prices), and is open 24 hours. And yes, one of the more "interesting" people watching places, understatement!

:-)

You got me, I did not think to optimize the orders.

GF is a bit like Joey from friends in that she does not do well with sharing food.  (And the food thing is probably the only way she is similar to Joey).

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Now I want a waffle with blueberries, whipped cream (the real thing, not that weird canned stuff), and real maple syrup.

This is ALL your fault.

On the plus side, I'm not likely to find such things at the local International House of Starch and Sugar. The waffle, perhaps. The things that make the waffle worth eating, not so likely.

I clicked on this thread hoping for a picture of a mini house actually constructed of waffles.  I had visions of me gnawing on the walls.

AlanStache, yeah, that's about what breakfast out costs around here, too.  We rarely do it.

partgypsy, big smile at your comment, loved it!

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
Being a poor student, Waffle house was one of the cheapest places to eat (look at lunch menu prices), and is open 24 hours. And yes, one of the more "interesting" people watching places, understatement!

Not only open 24 hours, but part of what you probably pay for is their backup systems for disasters.  They really are ALWAYS open. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
A friend and I once drank coffee for as long as we possibly could at a Waffle House, probably 20+ cups between us.  Bill came up to a couple bucks.  Take that Starbucks!  We did leave a nice tip. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Waffle House has the best coffee anywhere. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
I stopped at a waffle house in Florida for biscuits and gravy the morning after returning from 8 months of international travel. Breakfast tasted alright, nothing to write home about, it was just nice to an old favorite for breakfast. However, eating that much grease after not eating american for months wasn't a good plan. Thankfully I still enjoy B&G. We don't have waffle houses in Alaska so I haven't eaten there since then.

Best link I have seen all month! 
+1

This is ALL your fault.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I'll have to settle for pancakes since I don't own a waffle iron, but I do have Alaskan blue berries to make up for it...

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »
Waffle House is probably closer to 10 to 20 cents a dollar for food because it is a lower price point. I had a similar experience at a pasta restaurant. I had to treat a co-worker who let me stay at their house for a week.

I ordered a pasta dish that sounded fancy on the menu for 17.99. When it arrived it was a plate full of angel hair pasta (1/3 box), dices tomatoes (1/2 large tomato), a little butter, olive oil and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. I honestly think this was about 1 dollar of food. 

Angle Hair: 33 cents
Tomato: 45 cents
Butter: 5 cents
Olive Oil: 5 cents
Parmesan Cheese: 10 cents

total 98 cents.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »
I stopped at a waffle house in Florida for biscuits and gravy the morning after returning from 8 months of international travel. Breakfast tasted alright, nothing to write home about, it was just nice to an old favorite for breakfast. However, eating that much grease after not eating american for months wasn't a good plan. Thankfully I still enjoy B&G. We don't have waffle houses in Alaska so I haven't eaten there since then.

Best link I have seen all month! 
+1

This is ALL your fault.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I'll have to settle for pancakes since I don't own a waffle iron, but I do have Alaskan blue berries to make up for it...

Actual saskatoon/service berries? You're lucky we're online. A person could get mugged for those.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »

Methinks if you had ordered waffles made of plain old flour instead of the fancy ones made of flowers, you might have saved a buck or two ;-).

At any restaurant, anywhere, you are not just paying for the cost of the ingredients. You're paying for someone to be there whenever you decide you want them to be there, with the lights and heat on, fully staffed and prepared to turn groceries into the hot meal of your choice. Margins in the restaurant business are razor thin because the overhead's a killer and everyone's trying to steal from you. Meh, it won't hurt your FIRE plans if you don't make a habit of it. But never, ever order OJ in a restaurant again. Ever. Sheez.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »
At any restaurant, anywhere, you are not just paying for the cost of the ingredients. You're paying for someone to be there whenever you decide you want them to be there, with the lights and heat on, fully staffed and prepared to turn groceries into the hot meal of your choice. Margins in the restaurant business are razor thin because the overhead's a killer and everyone's trying to steal from you. Meh, it won't hurt your FIRE plans if you don't make a habit of it. But never, ever order OJ in a restaurant again. Ever. Sheez.

OJ: well I did not want any more coffee and getting water with a waffle/hash sounded gross and was not in the mood for milk, but yeah 2$ for a class where the fanciest carton of OJ is under 4$ for half a gallon.   

I ordered a pasta dish that sounded fancy on the menu for 17.99. When it arrived it was a plate full of angel hair pasta (1/3 box), dices tomatoes (1/2 large tomato), a little butter, olive oil and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. I honestly think this was about 1 dollar of food. 

I cooked up some pasta and alfredo last week, added a bit (lot) of cheese to the store bought alfredo melted it & served.  Then made some off hand comment about it being Mac-N-Cheese for grown ups and I could see the light bulb going on in gf's eye's, like yeah that is basically what pasta and cream/cheese is.  Strange how we dont always make obvious connections like that, am sure most people dont see that the 18$ restaurant dish is actually very basic. 

However, eating that much grease after not eating american for months wasn't a good plan.
I have experienced that too after extended travel, they warn you about the water in Mexico but not the grease in the States.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »
So, you're complaining about paying too much for food prepared and served by others under their roof, yet you were out purchasing a treadmill when the same exercise could be accomplished by just going for a walk?   Spending too much for food is bad, but for exercise is good?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »
So, you're complaining about paying too much for food prepared and served by others under their roof, yet you were out purchasing a treadmill when the same exercise could be accomplished by just going for a walk?   Spending too much for food is bad, but for exercise is good?

I judged the benefit my GF and I will get out of the TM over the next 10+ years to be worth a one time expense of 100$.  If you are happy with what ever weather and location restrictions you have on running outside-awesome for you-but I am not.  For me I expect the added running miles and reduction in hassle to do those miles to be worth five of my Jacksons employees. 

Worst case I sell the TM on craigslist for 100$ in a year or two.  Best case I use it as a training tool to run a sub 16 min 5k and then dominate Boston. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »

Actual saskatoon/service berries? You're lucky we're online. A person could get mugged for those.
[/quote]

I've never heard of Saskatoon berries. I looked them up and I'm pretty sure the ones I picked last fall are: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_ovalifolium

It looks like Saskatoon berries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia) do grow up here though. I wonder if those were what my parents called "high bush blue berries" when I was a kid. I haven't picked any in a long time though.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
gf was about to die from hunger, literally die!

You just saved your girlfriend's life for $20.  Literally saved her life! 

Quit being such a cheapskate.  ;-)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 06:57:37 PM »
You got me, I did not think to optimize the orders.

GF is a bit like Joey from friends in that she does not do well with sharing food.  (And the food thing is probably the only way she is similar to Joey).
When we eat out, we are big "optimizers".  Two of us typically eat at Waffle House for $5-6. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
Highbush blueberries are Vaccinium corymbosum.  The commercial varieties are mostly crosses of high bush and low bush.

I used to pick masses of lowbush blueberries (tiny berries but soo good) when I was a kid in the Laurentians - never worried about bears, and I should have.

Back on topic - the first time I saw an IHOP sign I had to ask what it stood for.  I like Chez Cora for the rare times I do go out.

I've never heard of Saskatoon berries. I looked them up and I'm pretty sure the ones I picked last fall are: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_ovalifolium

It looks like Saskatoon berries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia) do grow up here though. I wonder if those were what my parents called "high bush blue berries" when I was a kid. I haven't picked any in a long time though.
[/quote]

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »
Speaking of waffle house, I found this article to be funny.

http://newstome.blog.ajc.com/2015/11/16/waffle-house-wows-food-critic-anthony-bourdain/

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
Speaking of waffle house, I found this article to be funny.

http://newstome.blog.ajc.com/2015/11/16/waffle-house-wows-food-critic-anthony-bourdain/

"Customers of all races, creeds and “degrees of inebriation” seem welcome".  Well said, T. Jefferson himself would be proud to stagger in with Sally Hemings on his arm at 4am.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
Being a poor student, Waffle house was one of the cheapest places to eat (look at lunch menu prices), and is open 24 hours. And yes, one of the more "interesting" people watching places, understatement!

Not only open 24 hours, but part of what you probably pay for is their backup systems for disasters.  They really are ALWAYS open. . .

I live in Alabama, and one of my side gigs involves disaster response work. This subject actually comes up at least once in every planning session or exercise.

Also, ain't nuttin' like Awful House hash browns, well done, all the way. It is a religious experience I have only allowed myself to have a handful of times in a decade-plus in the SE. I describe it just like Hawaii (where I grew up) - everyone should experience it once.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »

[/quote]

Saskatoons are distinctly different from high bush blueberries.   More like a cross between almond flavour and blueberry with larger seeds than blueberries.  Central BC has them wild, so Alaska may too.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 06:03:53 AM »
Dang it this thread is making me hungry!

I only go to waffle house about once every 5 years even though it is the closest restaurant to my house. The waitresses at this particular waffle house tend to be elderly, so I just think of it as a mission trip that involves us sharing steak, eggs, and a waffle in exchange for the joy of leaving a relatively giant tip which clearly brings joy into someone else's life.

My other half likes to order juice, though. Drives me nuts. Water all the way for the win!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
I love Saskatoon berries!  whenever I see Saskatoon berry jam in the store I grab it.  I've never eaten them fresh though or knowingly seem them in the outdoors. 

Plus, I once traveled to the southern US states so I know about Waffle House.  Just loved it there for breakfast while we were traveling through Georgia and Alabama.   I enjoyed my time visiting in the southern states very much.

Ducky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 06:56:56 AM »
We stopped at the waffle house the last time I transported my parent down south. That is their favorite place. It was tasty but wow oh wow could I make it cheaper at home. The part that got me was the hotel we stayed at had a free breakfast buffet and said parent desperately wanted waffle house. I figure life is short and it made her happy.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »
I spent the last few years of high school hanging out at the Waffle House with my reprobate friends.  We'd ordered coffees, and maybe a grilled cheese, and smoke cigarettes and drink coffee for hours. We were the waitresses worst nightmares. In hindsight, we were jerks, but in our defense, we tipped 200% or more.

Is it Mustachian to bring your own hallucinogenic tea into the Waffle House and ask for hot water? I wasn't into drugs, but one of the people I hung out with back then used to do that.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »

Is it Mustachian to bring your own hallucinogenic tea into the Waffle House and ask for hot water? I wasn't into drugs, but one of the people I hung out with back then used to do that.

I would have no issues so long as you brought enough to share.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 08:25:45 AM »
A friend once asked me to describe Waffle House. The best answer I could give was that it was for people who think Denny's is too fancy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
I have never been to Waffle House. I really really want to go to one someday.  But alas, my fancy family always goes to IHOP.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »

I think Jim Gaffigan summed it up nicely:

Quote from: Jim Gaffigan
Now, if you’ve never been to a Waffle House, just imagine a gas station bathroom that sells waffles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
On a more mustachian note:

I knew of a woman who worked at a Waffle House to pay her way through college.  After she got her business degree, she went to work for their corporate office.  But here's the mustachian kicker:  She kept working part-time night shifts at WH to supplement her salary, apparently because the tips were pretty good.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
I was in Richmond a few years back for a wedding, a bunch of us wanted to go to the Waffle House since there aren't really any up here in Minnesota, we walked in and walked right out, it looked nasty as hell.

We flew home on Sunday and while on the flight one of us heard that the place was raided and shut down due to sanitary conditions. Bullet=dodged.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »

I would be careful with drugs at WH, somehow I suspect the employees there are VERY good at removing people or getting the cops to do the removing.  The waitstaff is probably on a first name basis with half the 5-0.

"Awful House hash browns...": maybe this is being to open about my cooking skillz but HW hash browns always seem better then mine, maybe I am just afraid to use that much oil.  I can burn them as well as anyone but WH often gets them cooked-golden and moist. 

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »

I would be careful with drugs at WH, somehow I suspect the employees there are VERY good at removing people or getting the cops to do the removing.  The waitstaff is probably on a first name basis with half the 5-0.

"Awful House hash browns...": maybe this is being to open about my cooking skillz but HW hash browns always seem better then mine, maybe I am just afraid to use that much oil.  I can burn them as well as anyone but WH often gets them cooked-golden and moist.

The closest I've gotten to Waffle House or other greasy spoon hash browns is when I've prepared these dried hash browns from Costco:

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
I was in Richmond a few years back for a wedding, a bunch of us wanted to go to the Waffle House since there aren't really any up here in Minnesota, we walked in and walked right out, it looked nasty as hell.

We flew home on Sunday and while on the flight one of us heard that the place was raided and shut down due to sanitary conditions. Bullet=dodged.

The one I stopped at while driving through Kentucky allowed smoking inside.  Ugh.  I was starving so I dealt with it.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

The one I stopped at while driving through Kentucky allowed smoking inside.  Ugh.  I was starving so I dealt with it.

Not just Waffle House.  Kentucky is one of the few states I've experienced where most of the eateries still have smoking and "non-smoking" sections.  Something to keep in mind if you're passing through.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

Not just Waffle House.  Kentucky is one of the few states I've experienced where most of the eateries still have smoking and "non-smoking" sections.  Something to keep in mind if you're passing through.

It is amazing how much you notice it when you are used to smoking free places for many years.  Kentucky looks like a beautiful state, however.  At least along the highway stretches from Cincinnati towards Gatlinburg.  I had a free weekend during a work trip and decided to do some hiking around Gatlinburg.  It was a memorable trip.  Someday I would like to do the AT.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »

Goes both ways for the longest time it felt odd to me to be in a bar without smoke, FWIW I never smoked.  Took years to get 100% use to smoke free bars/restaurants.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 08:26:11 AM »
\
It is amazing how much you notice it when you are used to smoking free places for many years.  Kentucky looks like a beautiful state, however.  At least along the highway stretches from Cincinnati towards Gatlinburg.  I had a free weekend during a work trip and decided to do some hiking around Gatlinburg.  It was a memorable trip.  Someday I would like to do the AT.

Gatlinburg is in the middle of Tennessee.   It is beautiful around that area though. I took my honeymoon there.

I recently drove to alabama, and there were a few stops in kentucky where I got bombarded by smoking.  Gas stations not only had smoking inside, but had slot machines set up in the front.  So people were sitting there gambling and chain smoking.  These gas stations/restaurants were in the middle of nowhere too, so I don't know where these people came from - they must be locals.   Every building I went into had a thick headache inducing fog you had to walk through to use the rest room.  I've gotten so used to the no indoor smoking in Ohio and Michigan that it totally blew my mind when I encountered it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
It is amazing how much you notice it when you are used to smoking free places for many years. 
I recently drove to alabama, and there were a few stops in kentucky where I got bombarded by smoking.  Gas stations not only had smoking inside, but had slot machines set up in the front.  So people were sitting there gambling and chain smoking.  These gas stations/restaurants were in the middle of nowhere too, so I don't know where these people came from - they must be locals.   Every building I went into had a thick headache inducing fog you had to walk through to use the rest room.  I've gotten so used to the no indoor smoking in Ohio and Michigan that it totally blew my mind when I encountered it.

My "nanny-state" city has outlawed smoking in and around ALL public buildings and every in apartment and all multi-family housing in the entire city. Even if you own your condo/townhouse/co-op, you can't smoke in it! No smoking on sidewalks in the downtown corridor either. It is fucking AWESOME!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »

Ate at a WH near Auburn, AL with a group i was traveling with earlier this year. It was the nastiest place I've ever eaten. That said most of the WH I have been in over the years were reasonably clean. I remember a place in VA called "Open House". I lived there 18 months (years ago) before I realized that wasn't a real estate office but a place similar to WH that served food.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
\

Gatlinburg is in the middle of Tennessee.   It is beautiful around that area though. I took my honeymoon there.

I recently drove to Alabama, and there were a few stops in Kentucky where I got bombarded by smoking.  Gas stations not only had smoking inside, but had slot machines set up in the front.  So people were sitting there gambling and chain smoking.  These gas stations/restaurants were in the middle of nowhere too, so I don't know where these people came from - they must be locals.   Every building I went into had a thick headache inducing fog you had to walk through to use the rest room.  I've gotten so used to the no indoor smoking in Ohio and Michigan that it totally blew my mind when I encountered it.

Gatlinburg is near the NC border. Not even in the middle of TN north to south. ;)

The older I get the less tolerance I have for grungy gas stations and their bathrooms. I figure by the time I'm 90 I'll have to travel by private coach with it's own onboard bathroom... ;) That said the TN rest stop we used over the weekend was cleaner than any other I've ever seen.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
\

I recently drove to Alabama, and there were a few stops in Kentucky where I got bombarded by smoking.  Gas stations not only had smoking inside, but had slot machines set up in the front.  So people were sitting there gambling and chain smoking.  These gas stations/restaurants were in the middle of nowhere too, so I don't know where these people came from - they must be locals.   Every building I went into had a thick headache inducing fog you had to walk through to use the rest room.  I've gotten so used to the no indoor smoking in Ohio and Michigan that it totally blew my mind when I encountered it.

Gatlinburg is near the NC border. Not even in the middle of TN north to south. ;)

The older I get the less tolerance I have for grungy gas stations and their bathrooms. I figure by the time I'm 90 I'll have to travel by private coach with it's own onboard bathroom... ;) That said the TN rest stop we used over the weekend was cleaner than any other I've ever seen.

It is totally in the middle of TN north to south, but the eastern border runs at an angle so that it is actually very close to the NC border.  Despite being so close to the border it's latitude is still right in the middle of Tennessee.  Either way my original point was that it's not in Kentucky.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
\

It is totally in the middle of TN north to south, but the eastern border runs at an angle so that it is actually very close to the NC border.  Despite being so close to the border it's latitude is still right in the middle of Tennessee.  Either way my original point was that it's not in Kentucky.

Are we seriously debating the geography of TN? Either way, I think we all agree that Gatlinburg can be beautiful for hiking. Went there for a couple of shows a few years back and enjoyed that city and Severville.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »
Are we seriously debating the geography of TN? Either way, I think we all agree that Gatlinburg can be beautiful for hiking. Went there for a couple of shows a few years back and enjoyed that city and Severville.

Yes.  This is a discussion forum, no harm in having a friendly discussion.  We all agree that it's beautiful for hiking.  And also for driving.  Lots of wildlife too.  Crazy steep roads though, I can't imagine being their with ice and snow on the ground.  I don't know how you'd make it up any of the local road ways.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!