Author Topic: Using initials on email signature make you super powerful!  (Read 21433 times)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Re: Using initials on email signature make you super powerful!
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
Perhaps people are looking to be offended?

I do appreciate seeing certain initials when I deal with regulatory matters.  For instance, whether someone is a DAR or DER matters very much!

I've not yet run into anybody listing actual educational degrees so maybe its a certain industry thing.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »
I don't use my middle initial, but I have "EIT" after my name. I guess I must be pretentious or something.
I never did use that one.  Didn't like the inference that I was still 'training'.   Sometime after, I think IE became more vogue.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
I have always used First M. Last on my cards.  I also list two very relevant professional credentials.  Then my title.

My card has been like this from peon, sr. peon, manager, director and VP.

I do NOT put MBA on my card, as I think that looks dumb.  I do have it in my LinkedIn profile though.  Guess I'm pretentious. ;)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Wait a sec -- we're talking about someone's formal business email signature block, not just casual use of their name.  On my letterhead and in the business signature block, it has my middle initial, but I absolutely would not expect other people to actually address me that way and I manually sign my emails with my first name only.  Within my office, going all the way up to the senior execs, and with clients and opposing counsel, we call each other by first name alone.  I think it's quite common in professional settings for people to address each other by first names, while keeping the more formal name for envelopes, business cards, on court documents, etc.

I know - which is why it's amusing to see people signature blocks on even informal intranet emails. A tiny message that says 'Ok, Canaduh.' followed by three lines of self aggrandisement. It sure does look threatening on a legal letterhead and quite grown up on a business card, but it's still hard not to look at 'J. John Smith' and think of 'C. Thomas Flood' - whose 'C' stood for nothing, but he felt made him seem more legitimate as a writer.

I've never been in a position where reading the signature block was a valid use of my time, since the email or envelope usually tells me where or whom something originated from, so it's rare enough for me to bother - but I find it hard to take someone serious when the end of their missive makes me snicker a bit.

Regards,

My signature block autopopulates on al emails I originate. I use a standard template provided by the company. Is it needless?  I dunno, I guess maybe, but who cares?  I never ever thought there was anything pretentious about using a formal name for formal communication.

Exactly.  This is just the industry/professional norm and our employer's expectation.  If someone wants to laugh at the culture and not be a part of it, that's cool; I don't really care.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
So stupid.  I always get a chuckle out of the admins who have a B.A. behind their names - do you really want to advertise that you went to university for 4 years to answer phones and book conference rooms?

+1

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Wait a sec -- we're talking about someone's formal business email signature block, not just casual use of their name.  On my letterhead and in the business signature block, it has my middle initial, but I absolutely would not expect other people to actually address me that way and I manually sign my emails with my first name only.  Within my office, going all the way up to the senior execs, and with clients and opposing counsel, we call each other by first name alone.  I think it's quite common in professional settings for people to address each other by first names, while keeping the more formal name for envelopes, business cards, on court documents, etc.

I know - which is why it's amusing to see people signature blocks on even informal intranet emails. A tiny message that says 'Ok, Canaduh.' followed by three lines of self aggrandisement. It sure does look threatening on a legal letterhead and quite grown up on a business card, but it's still hard not to look at 'J. John Smith' and think of 'C. Thomas Flood' - whose 'C' stood for nothing, but he felt made him seem more legitimate as a writer.

I've never been in a position where reading the signature block was a valid use of my time, since the email or envelope usually tells me where or whom something originated from, so it's rare enough for me to bother - but I find it hard to take someone serious when the end of their missive makes me snicker a bit.

Regards,

My signature block autopopulates on al emails I originate. I use a standard template provided by the company. Is it needless?  I dunno, I guess maybe, but who cares?  I never ever thought there was anything pretentious about using a formal name for formal communication.

Exactly.  This is just the industry/professional norm and our employer's expectation.  If someone wants to laugh at the culture and not be a part of it, that's cool; I don't really care.

Ditto. It's expected of us to fill out a signature block with minimally our name, company, address, main line phone number, and email. I threw in my direct line for good measure. I'm not sure if there's even a way to not have the sig block come up when you're emailing someone internally (unless you're manually deleting it, which just seems more work than it's worth). I know there's an option to have it turn off if you're replying to an email, but I've spent enough time digging around through email chains looking for contact information to realize it's not worth it.

Internally we use initials quite often. The general rule of thumb is, if you're the first the unique set of initials, you get to use just the two. If there's someone already in the company with your initials, you're stuck adding in your middle initial. I'm the second one with my initials, so my middle was thrown in my signature block so coworkers would know it.

If you're outside this system and want something to laugh at, I guess go ahead. But there are a lot worse/better things to laugh at than using initials.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
So stupid.  I always get a chuckle out of the admins who have a B.A. behind their names - do you really want to advertise that you went to university for 4 years to answer phones and book conference rooms?

+1

Admins generally do much more than that, but please continue with your condescension because it's so appealing. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »

+1

Admins generally do much more than that, but please continue with your condescension because it's so appealing.

We found the admin!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »

+1

The "admins" at my work typically have a title that reflects their actual job (communications, office leader, exec assistant, reception), so the very few "admins" left are actually just admin.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »
I don't use my middle initial, but I have "EIT" after my name. I guess I must be pretentious or something.
I never did use that one.  Didn't like the inference that I was still 'training'.   Sometime after, I think IE became more vogue.
An EIT isn't legally responsible for their work or opinions in my area. Putting EIT lets you off the hook if you give bad advice. Where I'm from if an EIT is pretending to be more than that its against the code of conduct, impersonating an Engineer. Everyone's a trainee at some point, only the pretentious ones find it embarrassing; no insult intended but most people don't care other than the EIT in question.

In some cases its a legal responsibility to put your titles; or to leave them off. I have a couple designations that I put on some emails when its formal and leave off when its an informal discussion (i.e. in the getting to understand part of a conversation). If its on an email I'm advertising my legal responsibility; its a shorthand way of saying I follow the law of the land.

As for initials, I include mine on government forms since there's a doppelganger out there with my name; crossed paths once on some government forms that required clearing up (it required a few calls, it was more hassle than including a single letter). My brother had his credit score lowered when a creditor assigned him someone else's debt; it was purely a same name problem.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
I'm in healthcare - physicians generally have their name, if you're a trainee of some types, and department. If you're the chair of a department, that'll be thrown in. If you are in charge of something relevant to patient care then that may be included. Otherwise no one cares about the titles or degrees. Much different than the business world.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2016, 03:49:44 AM »
Yeah I've not seen much of it here, and no-one here uses numbers in their name (it's rare enough that they'll use Snr/Jnr).

My name is in my email signature as first name last name. That's pretty standard for most people in most places I've worked at, unless they've got a common name and they need to distinguish it from someone else.

I think if someone tried on 'first initial,  middle name, surname' in Australia,  they'd get laughed at. It's more than a bit pretentious.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:01:31 AM by alsoknownasDean »