Author Topic: Unboxing-- consumerist programming of toddlers  (Read 3418 times)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
Re: Unboxing-- consumerist programming of toddlers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
How does a toddler know to search for these videos?

Must_Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
Exactly, how can this woman act bemused when she KNOWS she started her child on them.  And the child picked up on the approval/amusement.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:02:42 PM »
Okay, I'm on Youtube a lot (its a serious rabbit hole some nights), but I had no idea that taking something out of a box and displaying it in front of a camera was a "thing."

Must_Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
There seems to be related activity in the "10K handbag on credit" thread.  The woman buying the $$$ bag unboxed it on Youtube.  Maybe she's hoping to recoup some of the money by building ad-revenue on her channel.  Or maybe she's just in the slipstream of the vloggers who make millions unboxing.  Just flotsam.  Financial debris.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
The "unboxing" trend is just...wow.

It is not bad enough to consume something extravagant, you are passively watching someone else consume. 

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
So here's how it starts...3 year old is using an ipad to watch playdoh videos on youtube (people make animals, food, etc...it's fun).  Gives him great ideas for the next live playdoh session. 

After it's over suggested videos come up, some of which are unboxing vids.  Kiddo pushes play and is delighted to see a new toy opened up and put through its paces.  Sometimes by other kids, sometimes by adults.  Dunno why but kiddo *loves* them. 

The egg surprises vids are the most addictive thus far.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
I've definitely posted an unboxing article. It was for a new development board from intel people were excited to see, and I got an advance version to show off, so I went over some of the components and what they did. I don't think it was tacky; do you? link

I dunno, most of the unboxing things I care to look for are exactly this - someone gets a new piece of hackery early and shows off some of the features, which makes it much easier to decide if it'll work for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!