Author Topic: Umm...actually I CAN...  (Read 40814 times)

The Guru

• Bristles

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Umm...actually I CAN...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
... My 4 year old car doesn't have any of those. Hell, it doesn't even have automatic locks, and it's a standard transmission.

Admittedly, I could go for a heated steering wheel and seats, or a remote starter, but I live in Quebec and detest cold. And I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay much extra for them. Bonus, not necessity.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »
I don't even have a car.  I mustn't have a pulse either.  ;)

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
My 11 year old car doesn't have any.

But my work car has Bluetooth which is handy, because I spend a lot of time on the phone between appointments and meetings at work

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »
OMG!  Cooled seats!  I just have to have a car with air conditioned seats!

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Yes, I don't have ANY of these features either ... (checks pulse) .... Nope, still living.

Honestly, if they had just titled it "12 Features You'll Love" I wouldn't have a problem with it.  But then I guess I wouldn't have clicked on the advertisement, either.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
My goodness!

Satellite radio - I'm not sure we have it here, but a satellite phone would be useful when you're in the outback and your car breaks down (especially if you're idiotic enough to have a spacesaver spare tyre.

Heated steering wheel!!! I'm often COMPLAINING that my steering wheel is too hot. Why on earth would you want one?

Backing Cameras - studies have shown that there are more injuries to people from cars WITH the cameras than WITHOUT. They are NO GOOD

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »
I too don't have any of these features in my car.

But as a Devil's advocate, they do say
You don't need any of these luxuries to drive a car. But once you get used to having them, you can't imagine driving without them.

So if you've never had a car with any of those features (like myself and I assume most of those who have participated in the thread so far) their assertion doesn't apply to you.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
OMG!  Cooled seats!  I just have to have a car with air conditioned seats!

My daily driver is lacking most of the listed features, though I do own a car with air conditioned seats. They are actually just vented through perforated leather with a few fans. Nothing too fancy. I think some cars do actually pipe cooling lines or hook the seats up to the vents somehow.

Honestly, I don't use them that much, they make you feel like you took a p*** in your pants.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »
My ride of 16 years didn't have any of that stuff until I splurged on an aftermarket stereo headunit. Bluetooth and HD Radio open up a lot of nice listening alternatives to what's on the analog AM/FM airwaves.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »
Yeah, my fear when I get a different car (hopefully in a decade) is that these features will be available in most models I look for. Like HD, once you get used to it, its hard to go back...short of eliminating the TV which is something I haven't yet done.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 12:02:57 AM »
I've rented cars for work with a couple of those features.
I can't say I'm anymore mustachian than this article, however, my 'luxuries' revolve around utility. Utility that is mostly unnecessary but that I can take advantage of: roof racks, power inverter, clever storage, a winch (or at least a come-along), fog lights, lockers, replacing the AC on the pulley with an on board air compressor, a breakdown kit :)

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:41:54 AM »
I confess my car has a couple of these features: simple lumbar support (which I barely notice) and a fancy multifunction stereo which I like, but I also routinely just leave off so I can just think. Hardly necessities. My own Luxury option list would include:

A/C: job gets really hot in the summer, so yes I run it on the 15 minute drive home. Face-punch away!

Cruise control for road trips

Reclining seats, just to escape that upright seating position.

The aforementioned sound system.

Most of these are available if not standard on most cars today. That other stuff? When I saw heated steering wheel listed as a necessity, I expected the next choice to be the Catheter/ Bedpan Option Group.

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 05:44:37 AM »
When I saw heated steering wheel listed as a necessity, I expected the next choice to be the Catheter/ Bedpan Option Group.

Too true and very funny.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:44 AM »
My ride of 16 years didn't have any of that stuff until I splurged on an aftermarket stereo headunit. Bluetooth and HD Radio open up a lot of nice listening alternatives to what's on the analog AM/FM airwaves.

Ugh, AM/FM DJs, no thanks. I have a phone with audiobooks loaded on, and a cord to connect it to my car speakers. much more appealing. :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 07:11:43 AM »
They actually MAKE heated steering wheels?  My new car has heated seats (amazing! I can have heat without turning the vents on- nerve damage makes it painful to have air go across my hands, so I never can use the vents) and I've been saying someone should invent that. 

Guessing I'll never pay for a car that actually it them though :(

Also, my husband's car has remote start and it's the most useless feature ever. If you are close enough to the car to turn it on, it doesn't have time to work by the time you click the button and finish walking to the car.

Heated seats is the only thing on this list I'll agree with- I sought out a car specifically with them.  I don't have cooled seats though. In the summer I'm just hot. It has bluetooth also and I use it, but I could do without it. I don't have any of the other things. (I have a backup camera, and I like it, but its not what they define as a "good" one.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:13:20 AM by iowajes »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 07:28:07 AM »
My car has BlueTooth, and I paired it with my phone once when I first got the car, but it seemed like a PITA, so I haven't bothered, but then I'm rarely in my car for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.  It might be good if I had a stupid hour long commute or something.  If I want to listen to Pandora off my phone, I just use the AUX cable.  I do love having that feature and wish my  15 16 year old truck had one, but I have an adapter that goes in the tape deck.  Yep, an AUX port is about the only improvement I'd put on my old truck, so I guess I'm not a good target market for all the luxury bells and whistles being added to vehicles.

How do these cretins live without an air conditioned steering wheel?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
You know what sucks about keys for newer cars these days? At least, the ones where you don't have a physical key, just a fob that needs to be in the car and you push a button to start the engine?

Replacement keys are expensive. My friends have had this problem.

Meanwhile I can walk into a home Depot and get my car key copied for a couple bucks.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
My car is 25 years old and, as far as I can tell, has almost nothing electrical farther back than the dash (other than the taillights and the battery, which is in the trunk). No power windows, power door locks, no motorized convertible top, etc. It doesn't even have ABS or a passenger airbag. The two luxuries it does have are air conditioning (which is needed in Georgia) and power steering (which was optional on this model, and which I almost wish I didn't have because it's not necessary).

I have to admit, there are two luxuries I do want: I've been considering replacing the stereo for one that I can hook my phone to. (I'd use a cassette adapter, but the cassette player doesn't work.) I also wouldn't mind having cruise control.

Yeah, my fear when I get a different car (hopefully in a decade) is that these features will be available in most models I look for.

I've already decided that I probably won't buy any car made after 2005 or so because they have too damn much computerized nanny shit. The last thing I need is my car deciding it knows better than I do about how to drive! It's like the damned Audi in "I, Robot" (you know, the scene in the movie where the car tries to murder Will Smith while the computer voice says "you are experiencing an accident"). And tracking my driving (like most new cars do) is right the fuck out!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
My goodness!

Satellite radio - I'm not sure we have it here, but a satellite phone would be useful when you're in the outback and your car breaks down (especially if you're idiotic enough to have a spacesaver spare tyre.

Heated steering wheel!!! I'm often COMPLAINING that my steering wheel is too hot. Why on earth would you want one?

Backing Cameras - studies have shown that there are more injuries to people from cars WITH the cameras than WITHOUT. They are NO GOOD

Heated steering wheels are nice when it's -20 outside. That being said, I've never owned a car with one.

I will say that backup cameras are awesome. Necessary? Nah. Awesome? YES. I used to have the opinion that they were silly and gimmicky and then I ended up with a vehicle that had one. It doesn't replace actually looking to see where you are going, but it helps immensely. I also do not have depth perception, which may also be a major factor in my camera appreciation.

My car is 25 years old and, as far as I can tell, has almost nothing electrical farther back than the dash (other than the taillights and the battery, which is in the trunk). No power windows, power door locks, no motorized convertible top, etc. It doesn't even have ABS or a passenger airbag. The two luxuries it does have are air conditioning (which is needed in Georgia) and power steering (which was optional on this model, and which I almost wish I didn't have because it's not necessary).

I have to admit, there are two luxuries I do want: I've been considering replacing the stereo for one that I can hook my phone to. (I'd use a cassette adapter, but the cassette player doesn't work.) I also wouldn't mind having cruise control.

Yeah, my fear when I get a different car (hopefully in a decade) is that these features will be available in most models I look for.

I've already decided that I probably won't buy any car made after 2005 or so because they have too damn much computerized nanny shit. The last thing I need is my car deciding it knows better than I do about how to drive! It's like the damned Audi in "I, Robot" (you know, the scene in the movie where the car tries to murder Will Smith while the computer voice says "you are experiencing an accident"). And tracking my driving (like most new cars do) is right the fuck out!

It's probably right, though. Modern stability control and ABS systems are technological marvels.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
My goodness!

Heated steering wheels are nice when it's -20 outside. That being said, I've never owned a car with one.

I will say that backup cameras are awesome. Necessary? Nah. Awesome? YES. I used to have the opinion that they were silly and gimmicky and then I ended up with a vehicle that had one. It doesn't replace actually looking to see where you are going, but it helps immensely. I also do not have depth perception, which may also be a major factor in my camera appreciation.
I have experienced being on the job site and trying to back up to hitch up to a 1,000 gal fuel trailer by myself. This was extremely frustrating given that it was pouring rain, the vehicle was slipping around in mud. Every time I thought I was 'there', I hopped out only to see I was a touch too far on either side. A back up cam would have been heavenly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:19:34 AM by JZinCO »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »
We drive a 1999 and a 1992.  The 1999 has no features (I did add a passenger vanity mirror at the request of my GF, so I suppose it has one feature), which means less shit can break.  A/C and cruise control would be nice to have on the 1999, but I can definitely live without them.  Both have newish fancy radios that can play CDs and take an auxiliary input, as both stock radios quit long ago. The 1992 has fancy features for its day (automatic transmission with overdrive, power locks, power windows, power seats, A/C, cruise control, ABS, airbag, power steering, trip meter, tachometer) and luckily none of that has broken in the past on me except the stupid power windows (and the cruise in finicky). 
Meanwhile I can walk into a home Depot and get my car key copied for a couple bucks.
Careful.  I had a Home Depot key break off in my ignition earlier this year, and that was a bitch to get out.

Backup cameras are "necessary" on some new cars, because new cars in general have abyssal visibility.  I don't even have a passenger-side mirror on my 1999, and I can see everything just fine.

Remote start is hilariously unnecessary and wasteful for 99% of uses (and 100% of what I witness here in northern Illinois).  I'd be pretty embarrassed to use something like that.

ABS/traction control/improved airbag systems are really the only upsides I see to newer cars on the feature side (obviously there are other systemic improvements that have been made such as power/efficiency, overall mechanical longevity, less frequent maintenance schedule, etc).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
My least favorite thing about newer cars is the shift over to integrated stereo/navigation/etc systems. On something older, you can upgrade a basic stereo for under 100 bucks and get auxiliary input, bluetooth, etc.  Now it's not nearly as easy. :(

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Backup cameras are "necessary" on some new cars, because new cars in general have abyssal visibility.
Backup cams are pretty cheap now, and the main reason for the crap-assed rearview is improved aerodynamics that reduce operating cost via higher MPG. So... win some, lose some.

Agree that most of the other shite on these lists is utterly stupid, and I really wish it were easier to line-out such things on a new car. As is, these things are added in big trim packages that overall increase costs and add to their perception as the new normal/necessary features.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »
Backup cameras are "necessary" on some new cars, because new cars in general have abyssal visibility.
Backup cams are pretty cheap now, and the main reason for the crap-assed rearview is improved aerodynamics that reduce operating cost via higher MPG. So... win some, lose some.

Agree that most of the other shite on these lists is utterly stupid, and I really wish it were easier to line-out such things on a new car. As is, these things are added in big trim packages that overall increase costs and add to their perception as the new normal/necessary features.
They're often bundled together, too. Want heated seats? Well, that requires the cold weather package with heated mirrors, heated windshield, heated wiper fluid, heavy duty battery, and $300 floormats! :P

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
Remote start is hilariously unnecessary and wasteful for 99% of uses (and 100% of what I witness here in northern Illinois).  I'd be pretty embarrassed to use something like that.
I don't know. Let's say you own a vehicle that either mechanically requires a warm up, or you need to warm up the interior for safety (think breath freezing on the windshield). If it's cold out and you're getting ready in the morning, you have four options:
- Remote start
- Run outside, turn on the engine, leave doors unlocked
- Drive the car cold which will add extra wear to components (if a diesel or older vehicle) or add the mentioned safety hazard
- Plan ahead to sit in the car while it warms up

I've never owned remote start. I actually know only one person who has got it installed when she moved to north dakota. I do however know people who have had their cars stolen while they were warming up.

We can take this meme of 'luxuries' to an absurd level. 'Oh my gosh, you have a block heater. you waste electricity overnight just so you can start your diesel without the risk of draining the battery. How antimustachian". We probably all draw our own lines at where frivolous luxury starts that can't be easily demarcated but we each know it when we see it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
Speaking of cameras, I'm looking into putting cameras on my car to catch if anything crazy happens, like someone hitting me and then running. Anyone ever do so?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
My goodness!

I have experienced being on the job site and trying to back up to hitch up to a 1,000 gal fuel trailer by myself. This was extremely frustrating given that it was pouring rain, the vehicle was slipping around in mud. Every time I thought I was 'there', I hopped out only to see I was a touch too far on either side. A back up cam would have been heavenly.

Oh yeah.  I guess I misspoke about my truck's features earlier.  Last winter, when I was trailering my horse 3x a week, my husband bought me a hitch cam, and it is the best thing ever, especially since I have to back up at an angle to my trailer to hitch it up.  So much less frustrating being able to align the hitch on the first try instead of jumping in/out 10x, so I wouldn't mind if the truck was equipped with a backup camera that would do the same thing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
Speaking of cameras, I'm looking into putting cameras on my car to catch if anything crazy happens, like someone hitting me and then running. Anyone ever do so?

I haven't, but since I have moved to NJ I'm toying with that idea. Yesterday I watched a semi lock up the trailer and slide sideways down the highway in front of me, and then today I watched a car cross a 3 + 3 lane divided highway (55mph with a concrete barrier, through a gap in the barrier)...from one side to a parking lot (or road or something) on the other.

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
Nice link.  Being a semi-Luddite, which I suspect many of us here are, there are some things in that advertisement’s list which I don’t actually know what they are:  Bluetooth, Apple Carplay, and Active Bolsters.   There was a brief explanation or something under each photo but I avoided reading that since I don’t really have a need to know what they are or what they do.  The longer I go without knowing what it does, the longer I’ll avoid creating an internal desire for that techno-wonder.  I have a vague notion that Bluetooth is something to do with cellphones and with having a blinking light on the side of your face like Lobot, but other than that I don’t care.

It is a source of amusement to me when other folks’ cherished technological marvels are meaningless to me.  It makes me sound a bit like Drunk Uncle, complaining about how kids these days just want you to put some organic acai berries in their Fitbit.  But I feel like I’m doing something right, something Mustachian, when I have no idea what certain modern inventions do, particularly when the need to purchase them was created by a prolonged and massive marketing campaign.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
Nice link.  Being a semi-Luddite, which I suspect many of us here are, there are some things in that advertisement’s list which I don’t actually know what they are:  Bluetooth, Apple Carplay, and Active Bolsters.   There was a brief explanation or something under each photo but I avoided reading that since I don’t really have a need to know what they are or what they do.  The longer I go without knowing what it does, the longer I’ll avoid creating an internal desire for that techno-wonder.  I have a vague notion that Bluetooth is something to do with cellphones and with having a blinking light on the side of your face like Lobot, but other than that I don’t care.

It is a source of amusement to me when other folks’ cherished technological marvels are meaningless to me.  It makes me sound a bit like Drunk Uncle, complaining about how kids these days just want you to put some organic acai berries in their Fitbit.  But I feel like I’m doing something right, something Mustachian, when I have no idea what certain modern inventions do, particularly when the need to purchase them was created by a prolonged and massive marketing campaign.

I work in the tech industry - the thought of deliberately avoiding knowledge is foreign to me, but if it works for you that's what matters! :)

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
I actively avoid all of those features in my cars. They make my car heavier and thus less fuel efficient and slower than they would otherwise be without them.
Also because the people I know that have those features have turned into soft, whiny blobs since getting them.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
Argh!!  I hate the "I can't live without ______," statements the world's been making lately.   What sort of spoiled, decadent, exaggerating society are we living in?

Others:  "I can't live without my morning Starbucks!"
Me:  "You'd die of deprivation?  ...Or just kill yourself? "
Others:  [Blank stare.]

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
They're often bundled together, too. Want heated seats? Well, that requires the cold weather package with heated mirrors, heated windshield, heated wiper fluid, heavy duty battery, and $300 floormats! :P

This is why I don't have a sunroof (a normal one, not a panorama or whatever they are called). I actually do miss having one; but I wasn't going to pay for navigation and upgraded wheel rims and whatever else came with it.

My car also came with wheel locks. Which are stupid. Any good theif can knock those right off, and it makes changing the tire a giant pain in the ass.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
Others:  "I can't live without my morning Starbucks!"
Me:  "You'd die of deprivation?  ...Or just kill yourself? "
Others:  [Blank stare.]

I hate this. "I'm starving," is one that particularly galls me. I've seen people that are literally starving and I welcome anyone that says such a thing lightly to go to parts of Africa and India where this is not uncommon and see for themselves. Perhaps then they will understand just good we have it.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:29 AM »

Yes, I have a dash cam.

I'm using a fairly simple one that was not too expensive. I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-H-Hidden-Dashboard/dp/B00HMNFWYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450890674&sr=8-1&keywords=g1w-h

I basically don't trust law enforcement at all. I've had too many situations where I have been taken advantage of and I definitely believe it's cases of being profiled. So in addition to my dash cam, I also have a mount for my iPhone that I've set to be able to record me and my driver side window at the perfect angle.

Also the camera is extremely useful in accident/insurance situation.

And like most shit, here is the one I really want -
http://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-channel-dr650gw-2ch-recorder-support/dp/B00MC4XL2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450890863&sr=8-1&keywords=blackvue

Let me know if you have any questions? I think they are awesome and highly recommend them. Even in a road rage situation, it's a easy way to help settle some crazy people just by informing them there is a camera present and filming.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:44 AM »
I don't know. Let's say you own a vehicle that either mechanically requires a warm up, or you need to warm up the interior for safety (think breath freezing on the windshield). If it's cold out and you're getting ready in the morning, you have four options:
- Remote start
- Drive the car cold which will add extra wear to components (if a diesel or older vehicle) or add the mentioned safety hazard

I've never owned remote start. I actually know only one person who has got it installed when she moved to north dakota. I do however know people who have had their cars stolen while they were warming up.

We can take this meme of 'luxuries' to an absurd level. 'Oh my gosh, you have a block heater. you waste electricity overnight just so you can start your diesel without the risk of draining the battery. How antimustachian". We probably all draw our own lines at where frivolous luxury starts that can't be easily demarcated but we each know it when we see it.
A block heater is very obviously necessary at times (North Dakota sounds about right).  And I know diesel trucks need that sort of thing beyond a certain temperature.

The use I see of remote start is firing up the car that's been sitting in a sunny parking lot all day at 4:40 and letting it idle for 20 minutes so that the 100ft walk from the 75F office has a heat-blasting 90F car interior at the end of it after 2 minutes in the cold.  It's ludicrous.

I've dealt with snow, ice, and subzero temperatures, and worst-case on an icy cold morning, I'll let the car idle while I scrape the ice off, and by the time I'm done, the defrost will have gotten to the point where it melts the rest.  Best-case, I get in, allow the engine to warm up for about 20 seconds and get the blood pumping, and then go.  As long as you don't do anything dumb (blast the engine and red-line shift the first few blocks), driving a cold engine is better for it (and warms it up a lot faster in terms of minutes driven) than letting it idle cold.  And I know newer cars warm up a lot faster than mine do.  I've never had a situation where I've had to run out and "let the car warm up" except for cranky passengers that want a nauseating amount of heat blasting in their face right away.

I'm sure there are legitimate uses for such a thing (Alaska is probably a different picture), but I don't see them here.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
My 12 year old car doesn't have a single one of those features. It somehow still manages to get me from A to B.
I was worried - I do have bluetooth, but it's a system my husband installed.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »

This reminds me, several years ago I bought a new car (facepunch me later), and at the dealership they were going over all the extras it had; mud flaps, a rubber insert for the trunk, a cargo net, etc.

I told them "I don't want any of that."
They responded, "Well, we can't remove it."
Me: "Really, you can't remove a cargo net and mud flaps?"
Dealer: "Nope, it's part of the package."
Me: "Well, I'm not paying for it."

After they ran back and forth to their "manager" or whatever several times, they eventually gave in and didn't charge me for them (although let's be honest, I still probably paid for them in some way). There was also some kind of new lo-jack type system on it. I absolutely insisted it be removed as I wasn't going to pay for that, and more importantly, don't want something on my car that can be used to track me. Once again, it was something they couldn't remove. I kind of understand that one as it's likely integrated into the electronic system. I didn't pay for it either, but it annoys me that it's still there.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
Woohoo, I have bluetooth!

But I only paired it with my old phone, and never got around to pairing it with my new phone(about a year now). Plus, I generally leave bluetooth off on my phone to save battery.

- Remote start

One feature I  do love; my car has a keypad on the outside. It is actually very handy. You could use that to start your car, and then lock it while it's warming up.

The reason I like it, is for boating/floating the river. I can lock my keys in the car and not have to worry about them when I'm paddling around the lake.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
- Remote start

A block heater is very obviously necessary at times (North Dakota sounds about right).  And I know diesel trucks need that sort of thing beyond a certain temperature.

The use I see of remote start is firing up the car that's been sitting in a sunny parking lot all day at 4:40 and letting it idle for 20 minutes so that the 100ft walk from the 75F office has a heat-blasting 90F car interior at the end of it after 2 minutes in the cold.  It's ludicrous.

I've dealt with snow, ice, and subzero temperatures, and worst-case on an icy cold morning, I'll let the car idle while I scrape the ice off, and by the time I'm done, the defrost will have gotten to the point where it melts the rest.  Best-case, I get in, allow the engine to warm up for about 20 seconds and get the blood pumping, and then go.  As long as you don't do anything dumb (blast the engine and red-line shift the first few blocks), driving a cold engine is better for it (and warms it up a lot faster in terms of minutes driven) than letting it idle cold.  And I know newer cars warm up a lot faster than mine do.  I've never had a situation where I've had to run out and "let the car warm up" except for cranky passengers that want a nauseating amount of heat blasting in their face right away.

I'm sure there are legitimate uses for such a thing (Alaska is probably a different picture), but I don't see them here.
True. Direct injection vehicles are better served by driving slowly rather than idling.
I've thought about it and remote start on a direct injection gas engine has only one advantage. Heating up the windshield and cab.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:17:21 PM by JZinCO »

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
I think this is why I don't want a new car. Maybe ever.  I just don't want more shit that breaks, and teaches me to be soft.

Heated steering wheel?  I have one of those.  It's called a pair of gloves. 

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
^ LOL!

On cold mornings I find it entertaining to count the number of empty cars w/ motors running as I'm headed to work- on my bike.

branman42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

One feature I  do love; my car has a keypad on the outside. It is actually very handy. You could use that to start your car, and then lock it while it's warming up.

The reason I like it, is for boating/floating the river. I can lock my keys in the car and not have to worry about them when I'm paddling around the lake.

I would love that, it will be on my next car!  I constantly want to be able to go somewhere like boating or swimming without worrying about my keys.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

I would love that, it will be on my next car!  I constantly want to be able to go somewhere like boating or swimming without worrying about my keys.

Or when you're the parent of a newborn, sleep-deprived, juggling shopping bags and a newborn and exhaustion and snow and ice and you manage to lock the keys in the car.

Twice.

Hypothetically.

(After the first time, I learned how to jigger open my car door, and I'm slightly disturbed at how easy it was.)

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »

Or when you're the parent of a newborn, sleep-deprived, juggling shopping bags and a newborn and exhaustion and snow and ice and you manage to lock the keys in the car.

Twice.

Hypothetically.

(After the first time, I learned how to jigger open my car door, and I'm slightly disturbed at how easy it was.)

We probably all draw our own lines at where frivolous luxury starts that can't be easily demarcated but we each know it when we see it.
Just wanted to bring it up again. I see the keypad as not necessary because I use magnet key holders. Even if I had a keypad, I'd use a magnet just to have the spare key in a bind. But I won't hate on branman42 because I like things in vehicles that are frivolous to others.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 01:18:01 AM »
I love my good lumbar support. I miss my heated seats, but things break in old cars.  Bluetooth would be nice, but that and a functional heated seat are all I would get if I spent thousands of dollars to replace my old car. The rest?  Meh.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:24 AM »

Citation? I won't believe it until I see it. We have a back-up camera on our newer car, and with little kids in the neighborhood, including my own, I find it invaluable. They are so short that you can't possibly see them if they are standing directly behind your car. I believe one saved my preschooler's life a few years back - or my screaming at the top of my lungs for the car to stop did. I'm not sure which.

I'm guessing within a few decades they will be a safety feature on most cars. 

I have heated seats and satellite in this car as well, and yeah, those are nice but pure luxuries. It was a used car that already had the features.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
I personally would install a bluetooth system in any car that didn't have one. It's pretty easy to do yourself. In fact, I did it to my Prius, for a grand total cost of $100. Most of the rest of this is crap, though. A nav costs $1000-2000 in a new car, and can be replaced by a $40 car phone holder.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »

Citation? I won't believe it until I see it. We have a back-up camera on our newer car, and with little kids in the neighborhood, including my own, I find it invaluable. They are so short that you can't possibly see them if they are standing directly behind your car. I believe one saved my preschooler's life a few years back - or my screaming at the top of my lungs for the car to stop did. I'm not sure which.

I'm guessing within a few decades they will be a safety feature on most cars. 

I have heated seats and satellite in this car as well, and yeah, those are nice but pure luxuries. It was a used car that already had the features.

Actually, they're required by May, 2018, and it seems they're coming standard on many cars now. They're pretty useful for backing out of tight parking lots, but I can see how easy it would be to focus on the camera and say, sideswipe a car or a lamp post that was just out of the camera's view.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!