Author Topic: Umm...actually I CAN...  (Read 40818 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Umm...actually I CAN...
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »
I too don't have any of these features in my car.

But as a Devil's advocate, they do say
You don't need any of these luxuries to drive a car. But once you get used to having them, you can't imagine driving without them.

So if you've never had a car with any of those features (like myself and I assume most of those who have participated in the thread so far) their assertion doesn't apply to you.

I've driven rental cars with many of these features. They were nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for them, and I currently drive a car with none of them.

I don't really think renting cars with these features qualifies as getting used to having them.

Logic_Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »

You don't need any of these luxuries to drive a car. But once you get used to having them, you can't imagine driving without them.

So if you've never had a car with any of those features (like myself and I assume most of those who have participated in the thread so far) their assertion doesn't apply to you.

I've driven rental cars with many of these features. They were nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for them, and I currently drive a car with none of them.

I don't really think renting cars with these features qualifies as getting used to having them.

I'm talking about extended business trips where I drove the car for months at a time.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
1998 Camry with 234k miles and I still use CDs (*gasp) because I'm too cheap and or lazy to get Bluetooth in it. Every year for the past 4 (I had her for 11 yrs) I've said I would upgrade car, but it still runs fine so......

1993 Toyota Previa with 145K miles. *sniff* Your CD player is making my tape deck feel inferior! ;)
Dangit, you pre-emptively one-upped me!  My '95 Corolla (205k miles) still has the stock tape deck, too.  I got a tape adapter, so I can use my phone with it.

One thing I think would be cool would be a bluetooth-enabled, battery-powered cassette adapter.
EDIT: heh, it exists!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:48:51 AM by zolotiyeruki »

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
1998 Camry with 234k miles and I still use CDs (*gasp) because I'm too cheap and or lazy to get Bluetooth in it. Every year for the past 4 (I had her for 11 yrs) I've said I would upgrade car, but it still runs fine so......

1993 Toyota Previa with 145K miles. *sniff* Your CD player is making my tape deck feel inferior! ;)
Dangit, you pre-emptively one-upped me!  My '95 Corolla (205k miles) still has the stock tape deck, too.  I got a tape adapter, so I can use my phone with it.

One thing I think would be cool would be a bluetooth-enabled, battery-powered cassette adapter.

Buy for an extra 10 dollars you can have the whole head unit. 

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Digital-Receiver-TurnRaise-Controller/dp/B015XQUNXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461084621&sr=1-1&keywords=bluetooth+car+stereo+receiver

Not sure why this is considered some huge expensive luxury.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

I'm talking about extended business trips where I drove the car for months at a time.

So congrats, you avoided consumerism. As we should all be doing.

What do you want from me, a sticker?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Digital-Receiver-TurnRaise-Controller/dp/B015XQUNXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461084621&sr=1-1&keywords=bluetooth+car+stereo+receiver

Yup, and you can get it for a few bucks less on ebay!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »

lol

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »

Not sure why this is considered some huge expensive luxury.

...but then I'd have to upgrade my iPod 4th gen/clickwheel (circa 2004 20GB monochrome, baby!). Never hooking up my phone, since I can think of nothing I want LESS than to let my clients reach me in the car. It's the last remaining place where I can claim unreachability. (Sooooooo sorry, couldn't hear anything over the road noise! *turns radio up higher*). Someday I'll have to swap out the cassette-radio for the replacement cd-radio from the last work van (identical to this one) so I have a display I can read instead of working from memorized buttons. And go wild and splurge on a new antenna. :)

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »

WOW, tape player!! And you have low miles so you have a few more years to go on your car (maybe a decade)!

At 9K miles a year, I'm pretty sure they're going to stop making replacement parts before the van itself dies. My first on (1991) went to 240K before I traded it in, the second (1993) died young at 180K, and I've already lectured this one on making it past 200K. (The flaming money pit from Honda in between was sent to be stripped for parts, gleefully, at 135K).

Damn it, now I'm actually going to have to get out a cassette tape that I hate and find out if the tape portion actually works. As soon as I pick the dog hair out of the little flap...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2016, 01:09:44 PM »

lol

Stickers cost money. Anyone caught giving them out over the interwebs loses their tightwad cred.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »

lol

Stickers cost money. Anyone caught giving them out over the interwebs loses their tightwad cred.

Tightwads can just save the PLU stickers from supermarket produce for these occasions.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »

lol

Tightwads can just save the PLU stickers from supermarket produce for these occasions.

Hahaha

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
I love a lot of new gadgets like this. All the broken "must have" features will drive down the prices of used vehicles later.

The radio in my truck has been broken for at least 6 months. I have 3 car stereos sitting on the shelf taken out of cars I've junked, but I don't care enough to fix it yet since I don't have any long road trips planned. I also don't have a data plan, so it's not like I'm listening to my phone.

Most people are a bunch of whiners that are incapable of minor inconvenience for more than a few moments. They remind me of my toddler.

Yeha - we don't stream via a phone either. My pay-as-you-go plan has just enough data access to let me check my mail a couple of times per month.

What we do have though are digital copies of our favorite CDs (some decades old now) on the phone or memory stick for a jukebox effect. Great having a generic USB connection for the memory stick and not just a stereo that will only stream Apple music. I hate vendor lock in.

FWIW I convert the music via a free Linux program called k3B or another Clementine or another KStreamRipper. All free. Pick you favorite codecs. I use OGG 129K.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »

Oh I get that. We're in a similar situation with our '99s. Fix 'em and keep driving. Its timing belt time this week. I'll finish it after work tonight. Saved ~$350.