Author Topic: Umm...actually I CAN...  (Read 40816 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Umm...actually I CAN...
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »
I've always resisted having stuff like that, where it's all too easy to get spoiled and not know how to drive without it. I guess if we get to the point where 100% of cars have them, that will cease to be an issue.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2015, 09:07:56 AM »
I love the logic of "since so many cars don't come with an auxiliary cable, hooking it up via bluetooth is extremely useful."

So basically, you're okay with spending hundreds of extra dollars because you can't be bothered to get an aux cable for $5.  The worst part is I know people who would nod along with this sentiment haha.

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
I don't even know what some of these things mean .... active bolster seats, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, blah, blah, huh?

Although I got a remote car starter on my car a couple years ago for Christmas. Best thing ever. I think it costs $100 + installation. I feel like a freaking queen being able to warm my car up from the house window!

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
I don't even know what some of these things mean .... active bolster seats, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, blah, blah, huh?

Although I got a remote car starter on my car a couple years ago for Christmas. Best thing ever. I think it costs $100 + installation. I feel like a freaking queen being able to warm my car up from the house window!

I do miss the remote starter.  The good part about going outside to defrost my car is it makes me second guess whether I really want to drive vs. just bike.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »
A nav costs $1000-2000 in a new car, and can be replaced by a $40 car phone holder.

Whilst the price of built in nav may be extortionate when compared to using your phone, it does has some advantages such as: vehicle mounted GPS - the signal to your phone is drastically reduced when inside your car due to the Faraday cage effect of the vehicle, and use of dead reckoning - if you're in a tunnel and GPS signal is lost the car nav can count the wheel rotations and work out an accurate location based on that.

-

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
They're often bundled together, too. Want heated seats? Well, that requires the cold weather package with heated mirrors, heated windshield, heated wiper fluid, heavy duty battery, and $300 floormats! :P

My wife's last new car purchase was a Saturn, ~15 years ago. She wanted a CD player, but they wouldn't sell it to her without power locks and windows.

We decided FM was good enough.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
I love the logic of "since so many cars don't come with an auxiliary cable, hooking it up via bluetooth is extremely useful."

So basically, you're okay with spending hundreds of extra dollars because you can't be bothered to get an aux cable for $5.  The worst part is I know people who would nod along with this sentiment haha.
My car doesn't have a place to plug an auxiliary cable in. A $5 cable won't do you much good there.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
I personally would install a bluetooth system in any car that didn't have one. It's pretty easy to do yourself. In fact, I did it to my Prius, for a grand total cost of $100. Most of the rest of this is crap, though. A nav costs $1000-2000 in a new car, and can be replaced by a $40 car phone holder.

Plus nav systems in some newer cars won't allow you to manipulate them while the car is moving. I know it's done as a safety issue, but what's the use of a nav system if you can't do updates while you're moving?

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »
I personally would install a bluetooth system in any car that didn't have one. It's pretty easy to do yourself. In fact, I did it to my Prius, for a grand total cost of $100. Most of the rest of this is crap, though. A nav costs $1000-2000 in a new car, and can be replaced by a $40 car phone holder.

Plus nav systems in some newer cars won't allow you to manipulate them while the car is moving. I know it's done as a safety issue, but what's the use of a nav system if you can't do updates while you're moving?

Also, if you have a passenger who is perfectly capable of entering data whilst you're driving. Maybe they sense whether someone is sat next to you or not.

BrewandRun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2015, 06:41:06 AM »
So how much do I have to pay to get my car to do things that my phone already does by using my phone to do them?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2015, 07:34:39 AM »
My goodness!

Backing Cameras - studies have shown that there are more injuries to people from cars WITH the cameras than WITHOUT. They are NO GOOD
Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this one. They are becoming a mandatory safety feature on U.S. vehicles for good reason. That being, they work incredibly well. Our three year old CRV has one, and it is one hell of a safety upgrade. If I'm parked in a lot, and boxed in with a van and a mega-SUV on either side, I can back up slowly, until the back of my vehicle is just a few inches past the visual obstructions, and be rewarded with a 180 degree camera view of traffic coming from both directions. Without the camera, this task is often done by slowly backing and hoping it will all work out.  Using all the mirrors and the camera, there is literally nothing that you will strike while backing up, since you "didn't see it".  It is also easy to safely back into a parking spot, will being nearly perfectly centered within the painted lines, and stop within an inch of touching a pole, or wall, behind the vehicle. At this point, I wouldn't want another vehicle without one.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
If I'm parked in a lot, and boxed in with a van and a mega-SUV on either side, I can back up slowly, until the back of my vehicle is just a few inches past the visual obstructions, and be rewarded with a 180 degree camera view of traffic coming from both directions.

This.  I had my doubts about back-up cameras, but now that we have one, this one scenario makes me love it.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
I agree that everything on the list is unnecessary; however, I'll comment on two of the items:

- We rented a car with a backup camera last summer.  Loved it. 

- You can buy an after-market automatic start for not much over $100, making it an affordable luxury.  If I lived in a cold area and had to deal with ice and snow on a regular basis, I'd spring for it.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
Just throw my opinion in for a little balance.

The backup camera on my vehicle is a worthless trinket. The screen too small to really see anything.

But the worst part is, it actually distracts you from looking around. I used it a couple times when I first got the car, but quickly determined it didn't provide any benefit to me.

kittenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "I ain't rich, but Lord, I'm free"
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
My 2007 Chevy has none of these features and somehow, I have survived.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »
I have never heard of almost half of these things! :)

A cooled steering wheel would probably be popular here in Australia, but most people will probably just stick with putting a beach towel over their steering wheel when they aren't driving, or putting one of those silver sunshades up inside their windscreen.

I do wish our car had better lumbar support. We do quite a bit of long distance driving over the course of a year and my back just aches.

We rented a car while on holidays. Actually, I rented a more basic car that suited our needs and we got a free upgrade to a huge, black Prado (we called it "The Beast"), as that was what they had there on the day. It was the biggest car I've ever driven. I was quite nervous, driving a large, unknown car on busy, unknown roads - my first time driving in a foreign country. Anyway, it had heated seats. I only noticed it the first time I sat in it.

We do have a reversing camera. It is really helpful for my husband. He has never been good at reverse parking and it makes it much more manageable for him. For me, I love that I can get into even tighter spots and can get out more easily when someone parks me in.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
I actually enjoy not having all these frivolous features.  I do drive an unnecessary sports car with no storage space though.  It is funny that it has the push button start, but you have to put the key in and turn it to the on position to start it, making it essentially one extra step. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
I actually enjoy not having all these frivolous features.  I do drive an unnecessary sports car with no storage space though.  It is funny that it has the push button start, but you have to put the key in and turn it to the on position to start it, making it essentially one extra step.
Plus you really have to do the count down and ... ignition ... before pressing the button - which takes even more time

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 07:29:16 AM »
My goodness!

Heated steering wheel!!! I'm often COMPLAINING that my steering wheel is too hot. Why on earth would you want one?

Why you ask? Because some people live in areas where it is cold outside and I don't like to drive with gloves. My last car had this feature and it was great and thanks to my GF I now I have a heated steering wheel again thanks to after market steering wheel cover for less than $30. It is awesome. I wouldn't add it as a feature in a car for $$$ but for $30 it is definitely worth it to me. 

To each their own, but I would say to not knock it until you try it.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
Backing Cameras - studies have shown that there are more injuries to people from cars WITH the cameras than WITHOUT. They are NO GOOD

Citation? I won't believe it until I see it. We have a back-up camera on our newer car, and with little kids in the neighborhood, including my own, I find it invaluable. They are so short that you can't possibly see them if they are standing directly behind your car. I believe one saved my preschooler's life a few years back - or my screaming at the top of my lungs for the car to stop did. I'm not sure which.

Try riding with some young kids that first cars came with these backup cams. They don't even look out of the windows or anything. They just stare at the screen and backup, WTF.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2015, 08:00:30 AM »

Citation? I won't believe it until I see it. We have a back-up camera on our newer car, and with little kids in the neighborhood, including my own, I find it invaluable. They are so short that you can't possibly see them if they are standing directly behind your car. I believe one saved my preschooler's life a few years back - or my screaming at the top of my lungs for the car to stop did. I'm not sure which.

Try riding with some young kids that first cars came with these backup cams. They don't even look out of the windows or anything. They just stare at the screen and backup, WTF.

That does sound scary....and stupid. But just because youngsters without their full frontal lobe development use them incorrectly doesn't mean that it isn't helpful technology that has the potential to increase safety.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »
Same with these new fangled speedometers - kids today don't even try and count the telegraph poles going past

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2015, 06:48:09 PM »
Over the course of a year my wife or I will need to rent a car for a business trip and we'll get "treated" with all the high end extras that a car/minivan comes with now. We use it as a long term test drive - what is really important of all these gadgets?

Its entertaining for a day or so of the work trip but most of it wouldn't be that big a deal beyond a couple of weeks when the "new" wore off. I did like the 24 mpg the big minivan I rented got when our smallish CUV only gets 25 mpg. Things have improved in that category.

We're driving a '99 grocery-getter with the "basic" luxuries and even after all this time it has just the features I want in a car - except a sunroof. Wish it had a huge sunroof. And that I could buy it new again. Still serves us well.

Stereo: both factory head units have worn out in our '99 cars. Bought a mid-range stereo with HD Radio, USB jack and aux-in jack. Those are "musts" now. Was $130 retail off-the-shelf.

The other factory head units in our car went out a couple of months ago and I bought the top of the line Pioneer headunit: bluetooth, HD radio and aux-in jack, and USB input. A bit of bargain hunting got it for the same ~$140 or so as the first lesser headunit. The bluetooth is neat. I pair once and when I get in the car, it connects. Same with my wife's iPod. My $30 Android phone has a case that doesn't give enough room for the aux cable to plug into the phone. If this was a big deal then modifying the case would a priority using my pocket knife.

I'll run both stereos until they are worn out in 15 years. I have installed all my own stereos over the years and moved nice ones from one car to another.

Remote-starter: BiL told me about their minivan starting spontaneously in the garage one night. Could have pushed carbon monoxide into the house.

Tracking device: Lo-Jack? Amounts to a cellphone size box they hide in the car with a power lead and an antenna lead. Easy to remove if you can find it. Probably under the back seat or under the package tray if your car is a sedan.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2015, 07:17:51 PM »

That does sound scary....and stupid. But just because youngsters without their full frontal lobe development use them incorrectly doesn't mean that it isn't helpful technology that has the potential to increase safety.
OK I looked it up. I was not correct - I remembered it wrongly. The cameras BY THEMSELVES improve performance in the tests - about 59% of the stationary dummy toddlers got run over in the tests. When the cameras AND reversing sensors were in use 75% got run over. When the car had only reversing sensors 96% were run over. When the car had neither 100% got run over. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/49/2/1

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
I love a lot of new gadgets like this. All the broken "must have" features will drive down the prices of used vehicles later.

The radio in my truck has been broken for at least 6 months. I have 3 car stereos sitting on the shelf taken out of cars I've junked, but I don't care enough to fix it yet since I don't have any long road trips planned. I also don't have a data plan, so it's not like I'm listening to my phone.

Most people are a bunch of whiners that are incapable of minor inconvenience for more than a few moments. They remind me of my toddler.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »
I love a lot of new gadgets like this. All the broken "must have" features will drive down the prices of used vehicles later.

The problem with this line of thinking is that, in many cases, all those mega-dollar bells and whistles are just fine, long after they have any impact on resale. In my homebuilding business, I once bought a used 3/4 ton Suburban for heavy towing needs. They were pretty rare, compared to the zillions of used 1/2 tons available, and many I found were already owned by contractors, who had obviously abused them, or government agencies that ordered them totally stripped, and bolted all sorts of strange stuff to them, inside and out.  I ended up with a loaded to the max rig, traded at a Mercedes dealer, in big money horse country. The thing was immaculate, and full of really off the chart options, I paid roughly 1/3rd of the original invoice for it, with less than 40K and five years old.  After three years of beating it like rented mule the only things that failed were the after market entertainment bits, like the TVs that dropped out of the ceiling and the DVD player. Other than that it was like a leather clad limo hidden in a big, ugly station wagon body.

Bottom line in that case? Silly options are fun,  if you didn't end up paying more for them.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 01:36:07 AM »
My 14 year old truck has none of these and has hand rolled up windows (OMG!).

I have no desire to get rid of it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:45 AM »
A nav costs $1000-2000 in a new car, and can be replaced by a $40 car phone holder.

Whilst the price of built in nav may be extortionate when compared to using your phone, it does has some advantages such as: vehicle mounted GPS - the signal to your phone is drastically reduced when inside your car due to the Faraday cage effect of the vehicle, and use of dead reckoning - if you're in a tunnel and GPS signal is lost the car nav can count the wheel rotations and work out an accurate location based on that.

-

Really???  REALLY???

I don't know what kind of car tunnels you drive thru, but ALL the ones I've been in just let you drive straight thru them.  Just follow the tunnel.   You know you are in the tunnel, what else do you need to know about your location that a half minute to two minutes of time in the tunnel will hide from you? 

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »

I'm guessing within a few decades they will be a safety feature on most cars. 

I have heated seats and satellite in this car as well, and yeah, those are nice but pure luxuries. It was a used car that already had the features.

Backup cameras are effectively required by law starting with model year 2016 2018, with a phase in of 10% in 2016 and 40% in 2017.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2014/NHTSA+Announces+Final+Rule+Requiring+Rear+Visibility+Technology
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:59:25 AM by protostache »

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 06:31:42 AM »
These features were not available in our paid in full 2004 car.  I managed to live without these for 200k worth of miles.  Should not be a problem moving forward.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 06:34:20 AM »

-

Really???  REALLY???

I don't know what kind of car tunnels you drive thru, but ALL the ones I've been in just let you drive straight thru them.  Just follow the tunnel.   You know you are in the tunnel, what else do you need to know about your location that a half minute to two minutes of time in the tunnel will hide from you?

But... but... you'll get the annoying lady telling you that you've lost satellite reception!

You just don't get it, do you? [/sarcasm]

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
Pre-mustache, I had a 1999 Volvo C70 convertible. Pretty frickin' fancypants. It had all the features available at the time. You know what's really nice? A crisp fall day, sunny but cool, and the leaves are changing. Drop the top, crank the heat, turn on the heated seats and enjoy. Ahhhh.

With all the fancy features that car had, the one I miss most is the heated mirrors. Around here, freezing rain can be an issue, and the heated mirrors meant vastly improved rearward visibility. Apart from that, I could take or leave most features in the car.  Although, when everything was working right (it was in the shop all the time) the car was really nice.

Today I drive a little 2012 Chev Sonic. Its the middle model, not the 'fully loaded' one. It cost me $8,000 used, one year old and was basically new when I bought it. Funny thing is, apart from the heated mirriors and convertible top, it has all the features that the fancy-pants Volvo did. Amazing how feature creep works, isn't it. The one feature I'd add to this car is the rearward camera - blind spots have grown, and any visibility is a good thing. But If I wanted the camera that badly, I could get one aftermarket.

For those asking about dashcams... check here. Some cheapies work just fine if all you need is evidence. If you want to post up youtube vids, you may want something better.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
Pre-mustache, I had a 1999 Volvo C70 convertible. Pretty frickin' fancypants. It had all the features available at the time. You know what's really nice? A crisp fall day, sunny but cool, and the leaves are changing. Drop the top, crank the heat, turn on the heated seats and enjoy. Ahhhh.

I drive a '90 Miata and get the same experience, minus the heated seats. Better handling and cheaper than a C70, too. ; )

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2016, 07:55:02 AM »
Is it possible to remove the display part, or make the new whizbang gadget turn itself off when you're not actually in reverse? I couldn't stand driving with a television in sight. It's bad enough when my passenger fiddles with their phone while I'm driving.

One of the reasons I don't like electronic devices in cars is because electronic things that are physically close to me tend to break if I have a strong emotion or get upset. I can't wear a wristwatch, for example, and every single one of my vehicles has had weird electronic trouble except a 1963 Dodge Fargo.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:09 AM »
With all the fancy features that car had, the one I miss most is the heated mirrors. Around here, freezing rain can be an issue, and the heated mirrors meant vastly improved rearward visibility.
Must be a Volvo thing.  I drove a '96 Volvo 850 wagon for a while and it had heated mirrors.  That was quite nice in the winter to improve visibility.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
Is it possible to remove the display part, or make the new whizbang gadget turn itself off when you're not actually in reverse? I couldn't stand driving with a television in sight. It's bad enough when my passenger fiddles with their phone while I'm driving.

One of the reasons I don't like electronic devices in cars is because electronic things that are physically close to me tend to break if I have a strong emotion or get upset. I can't wear a wristwatch, for example, and every single one of my vehicles has had weird electronic trouble except a 1963 Dodge Fargo.

On every car I've driven with the rear view camera it only shows up when you're in reverse. The rest of the time it's the entertainment / nav / map / settings display. In addition, every car with a map screen that I've ever driven will lock the touchscreen out after ~3 clicks in a minute while the car is in motion. Only for the map, though. If you switch back to radio settings it'll let you hit it however much you want.

laka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »
You can have heated seats installed after-market (or buy a kit and DIY). That was my one and only requirement when we bought a new-to-us car last month (other than the standards of good condition, price, and highly fuel efficient) - either it has heated seats or we install them. They make winter in MN far more pleasant. And they are great for NOT letting the car idle to heat up. You can get going before the heat is fully on without freezing. 

Note: prior to this I was driving a car that wouldn't produce heat until you had been driving for at least 20 minutes. I bundled up and kept a blanket in the car, but it was miserable.

I feel like the more technology is integrated into cars the harder they are to maintain.  Everything is controlled by a computer, which you can't fix on your own. I try to keep cars fairly simple.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »
With all the fancy features that car had, the one I miss most is the heated mirrors. Around here, freezing rain can be an issue, and the heated mirrors meant vastly improved rearward visibility.
Must be a Volvo thing.  I drove a '96 Volvo 850 wagon for a while and it had heated mirrors.  That was quite nice in the winter to improve visibility.

Same here - 2001 S80 in NH -  excellent heating including mirrors and heated leather seats.

Not quite as useful in Florida but its only got 150k on it - way too new to change up...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

That's what happens when your car is designed by engineers who live through Swedish winters. Volvo's HQ is at 57°N latitude, which is almost as far North as Juneau, Alaska.

I feel like the more technology is integrated into cars the harder they are to maintain.  Everything is controlled by a computer, which you can't fix on your own. I try to keep cars fairly simple.

In some cases you can, but it takes a different set of skills than traditional mechanic stuff. Also, the DRM doesn't help...

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
I love the "steering wheel warmers and command starts what a waste" comments.  People are amazed by the fact that cold places exist.

Several days a year here it gets colder than -40 deg.  One cannot just drive away here at that temp without doing damage to the engine/transmission.  When it is below -40 it is very nice to be able to use your automatic garage door opener, open the garage door, and start the car from the comfort of your house.  Heated steering wheel are great,  at -40 even with gloves your hands can get cold until the car is warmed.

Now neither of these are necessity, for sure, but both inexpensive luxury that greatly improves winter here.

MissGina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
1998 Camry with 234k miles and I still use CDs (*gasp) because I'm too cheap and or lazy to get Bluetooth in it. Every year for the past 4 (I had her for 11 yrs) I've said I would upgrade car, but it still runs fine so......

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
I hate a regular sunroof. Makes the car hotter and blinds you during part of the day. A panoramic sunroof sounds like hell.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
I hate a regular sunroof. Makes the car hotter and blinds you during part of the day. A panoramic sunroof sounds like hell.
I have a sunroof over the back seat in our 1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon.  The previous owner called it the "kid cooker."  He wasn't too far off.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
I am tempted to place a deposit on a Tesla Model 3....

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2016, 03:57:42 PM »
1998 Camry with 234k miles and I still use CDs (*gasp) because I'm too cheap and or lazy to get Bluetooth in it. Every year for the past 4 (I had her for 11 yrs) I've said I would upgrade car, but it still runs fine so......

1993 Toyota Previa with 145K miles. *sniff* Your CD player is making my tape deck feel inferior! ;)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2016, 07:05:41 PM »

Three out of four vehicles I've owned with sunroofs had shades.  The fourth did when it was new (1986), but it wasn't there anymore by the time I had it. The other three were integrated into the roof.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »

Three out of four vehicles I've owned with sunroofs had shades.  The fourth did when it was new (1986), but it wasn't there anymore by the time I had it. The other three were integrated into the roof.

Sunroofs are great until they become rain roofs.

MissGina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »

1993 Toyota Previa with 145K miles. *sniff* Your CD player is making my tape deck feel inferior! ;)

WOW, tape player!! And you have low miles so you have a few more years to go on your car (maybe a decade)!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2016, 12:09:32 AM »
Is it bad if my 4.5 year old car is the model for one of the features in the article? It's got 3 of the mentioned features, one of them is Satellite Radio, which I do not subscribe to so it essentially doesn't have the feature. I'm also not sure the panoramic sunroof is frivolous. That SHIT IS AWESOME and makes me enjoy when I have to drive so much more. Bluetooth..could take it or leave it, but it's handy.

Logic_Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
I too don't have any of these features in my car.

But as a Devil's advocate, they do say
You don't need any of these luxuries to drive a car. But once you get used to having them, you can't imagine driving without them.

So if you've never had a car with any of those features (like myself and I assume most of those who have participated in the thread so far) their assertion doesn't apply to you.

I've driven rental cars with many of these features. They were nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for them, and I currently drive a car with none of them.