• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:25:57 AM by Moustaches »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Trump Hotel wine is sold by the spoon
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
Eh.  Ever buy a flight of beer, or a "tasting pour" at a brewery or bar?  Pretty much same deal.  Standard beer = 12-22oz.  Tasting / flight pour is typically 3 or 4 oz.  Wine is usually a 5 oz pour, so 1 oz for a tasting is around the same ratio.

Now, surely at a $700 /night hotel, the wine is very expensive - not disputing that.  But the headlines of "Trump sells wine by the spoon" is a bit misleading.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
The $212 million ultraluxury hotel will boast many of Trump’s signature extravagances: $1,000-a-night rooms, gold-encrusted bathrooms and Washington’s largest suite — called, of course, the Trump Townhouse. A crystal-chandelier bar in the nine-story atrium will serve wine by the spoon and offer daily champagne saberings, in which bottles are opened by sword.
Does that make the champagne taste better than the conventional pop-the-cork method?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
The $212 million ultraluxury hotel will boast many of Trump’s signature extravagances: $1,000-a-night rooms, gold-encrusted bathrooms and Washington’s largest suite — called, of course, the Trump Townhouse. A crystal-chandelier bar in the nine-story atrium will serve wine by the spoon and offer daily champagne saberings, in which bottles are opened by sword.
Does that make the champagne taste better than the conventional pop-the-cork method?
Absolutely.  There is a sword involved. 

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
You could make it even better by having a ninja swing the sword.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »
Nothing says luxury like a ninja.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
ninja loans FTW!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »
I know the brand name "Trump" is supposed to cause feelings of awe and envy in my mind but seriously - I just get the same feelings I do from the names Kardashian and Biff Tannen rolled into one. No thanks.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
Even before he went into politics I remember always thinking, "Everything he does is supposed to be sophisticated/elegant and yet it just comes across as so trashy."

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
He is a pig and he has bad breath.

LPeters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »
He is a pig and he has bad breath.
Omg, Melania, is that you???

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
I haven't read the article, but wine tastings are often done with about 1oz of wine. Pay five bucks, get 5x1oz, or whatever. Come to California, we have wine that doesn't suck, made by people who actually drink wine.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »
Mark my words, this will be end up as another bankruptcy.  The rooms costs are among the highest in DC, but without the amenities that other high end hotels boast (destination restaurants etc...).  The DC hotel scene is already swamped and the post office building is cursed probably partially because part of it is open to the public a  national monument.  Every business placed there has failed. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
I know the brand name "Trump" is supposed to cause feelings of awe and envy in my mind but seriously - I just get the same feelings I do from the names Kardashian and Biff Tannen rolled into one. No thanks.

You are not alone.

I have heard conjecture that, while he entered the election to win, he is now currently developing an exit strategy.  His brand was pretty much associated with the "smell me" jet set rich type.  Unfortunately, a very large portion of the people that fall into that category are pretty darn liberal.  His followers, on the other hand, are generally not the type that want to/have the resources to pay $1000 a night for a hotel room.

The hypothesis I've heard is that he sees that he's damaged his brand (which was already having some issues).  He sees who his new followers are.  He is expecting to lose the election and carry his followers into a project creating a new Fox news style network (either TV, radio, satellite or internet based broadcast).  This also explains his hiring of Breitbart and Ailes on his team.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:56:56 AM by Spork »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
Much better article:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/09/13/heres-what-happens-when-you-order-wine-by-the-spoon-at-the-trump-hotel/

Key points:

1. Yes, they literally use a fancy crystal spoon instead of a tasting glass. No idea. Never seen that before.
2. They charge no less than $15 for an ounce of wine. That's highway robbery. Not even in Napa do they charge so much (okay, maybe they do, but maybe I'm not invited to those events.)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
ninja loans FTW!
Should I use my extra money to pay off my ninja or just invest it?

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »
ninja loans FTW!
I'd pay it off. Otherwise they have a deadly tendency to sneak up on you

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »
ninja loans FTW!
I'd pay it off. Otherwise they have a deadly tendency to sneak up on you