Author Topic: Trash Can Cleaning Service  (Read 28307 times)

mjs111

• Stubble
Trash Can Cleaning Service
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Just got a flyer in the mail for a trash can cleaning service.  They'll come by every month (or every two months for the more mustachian-minded) and make your trash can sparkle like new, so your trash doesn't get dirty, I guess.

It's wheeliesplotless.com in case anyone is interested..

Granted, I live in Southern California, a place where you can get plastic surgery for your pet. Still, this surprised me.

Mike

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trash Can Cleaning Service
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
Granted, I live in Southern California, a place where you can get plastic surgery for your pet. Still, this surprised me.

Mike

www.neuticles.com for everyone!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:45:59 AM »
Hmmm.  Trash can cleaning sounds like a good side hustle if you live near a high-dollar housing area.  You could even do it with a bicycle and trailer.  I'm assuming that you use the client's hose and water?  Ok, I know you were laughing at this, but looking at it from a different angle...

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »
There are endless ways that the 'look rich' crowd will spend money to avoid the unpleasantries of life.  Take full advantage of them, I say.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »
This would work in my neighborhood.  People go nuts when a random dog walker drops a bagged dog-poop in their trash cans.  (bagged poop must be in a larger trash bag).  Someone could make a killing if they just decided to specialize in all the houses in this neighborhood that were built at the same time by the same developer.  We all have the same issues pop up at the same time.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
Hmmm.  Trash can cleaning sounds like a good side hustle if you live near a high-dollar housing area.  You could even do it with a bicycle and trailer.  I'm assuming that you use the client's hose and water?  Ok, I know you were laughing at this, but looking at it from a different angle...

Oh, I agree.  I have some respect for the guy who thought of this idea if he's making money from it, though it seems ecologically wasteful to be using lots of water to regularly clean garbage cans in an area that also tends to regularly be dealing with water shortages.

Mike

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
Hey, he could charge a premium for a low-water eco-friendly cleaning service.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
This would work in my neighborhood.  People go nuts when a random dog walker drops a bagged dog-poop in their trash cans.  (bagged poop must be in a larger trash bag).  Someone could make a killing if they just decided to specialize in all the houses in this neighborhood that were built at the same time by the same developer.  We all have the same issues pop up at the same time.

That would piss me off too... it's trespassing, and mirrors the conceitedness of less conscientious pet owners who just leave their dog crap on the road (carry your damn poop home and put it in your own garbage can mkay?)

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »

That would piss me off too... it's trespassing, and mirrors the conceitedness of less conscientious pet owners who just leave their dog crap on the road (carry your damn poop home and put it in your own garbage can mkay?)

Um, are you being facetious?  I mean, I could put the bagged crap in your mailbox instead.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
I agree.  I pay for trash removal and I rent the bins (no choice).  Don't come onto my property to put your dog crap or other garbage in my trash can.  We have plenty of public trash cans available. 

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
I agree.  I pay for trash removal and I rent the bins (no choice).  Don't come onto my property to put your dog crap or other garbage in my trash can.  We have plenty of public trash cans available.

I would ever consider coming onto private property to do so.  However, if it is trash pick-up day and the can is out on the sidewalk/street, in goes the poop bag.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »

I would ever consider coming onto private property to do so.  However, if it is trash pick-up day and the can is out on the sidewalk/street, in goes the poop bag.
The problem is that our trash pickup won't take the small poop bags, even if they're in a trash bin.  The small poop bag must be in a larger bag that is meant for outdoor trash, and then in the bin.  So when you drop your poop into someone else's bin, that someone gets stuck fishing your poop-bags out from the bottom of their bin...usually after a full day baking in the sun.   Thanks a lot.  So the idea is that if your dog poops, you pick up the poop AND take it back to your own home and your own trash bin.  That seems pretty straightforward.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »

The problem is that our trash pickup won't take the small poop bags, even if they're in a trash bin.  The small poop bag must be in a larger bag that is meant for outdoor trash, and then in the bin.  So when you drop your poop into someone else's bin, that someone gets stuck fishing your poop-bags out from the bottom of their bin...usually after a full day baking in the sun.   Thanks a lot.  So the idea is that if your dog poops, you pick up the poop AND take it back to your own home and your own trash bin.  That seems pretty straightforward.

So the sanitation engineers in your neighborhood waste time peering into each trash can and deciding whether or not to empty it?  Hard to fathom.  Here they just chuck it in and move onto the next house.  If they started scrutinizing my trash I would be switching garbage companies in a heartbeat.

What do they do with diapers?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
Although we are required to have the type of bins that can be mechanically lifted and poured into the truck, the collectors seem to prefer to just lift bags out of the bins, so that any small debris just falls to the bottom.  After a full day in the sun, it starts to stink and then the bags start to degrade, leaving your poop in our bins. 
That's the reality of the situation.  I'm sorry that you don't like it, but sometimes it's inconvenient to do the right thing. 

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
Although we are required to have the type of bins that can be mechanically lifted and poured into the truck, the collectors seem to prefer to just lift bags out of the bins, so that any small debris just falls to the bottom.  After a full day in the sun, it starts to stink and then the bags start to degrade, leaving your poop in our bins. 
That's the reality of the situation.  I'm sorry that you don't like it, but sometimes it's inconvenient to do the right thing.

I'm sorry you have to fish bags of dogshit out of your trash can, but don't blame me: this is not an issue where I live.  Like I said, my local trash collectors just empty whatever is in the bin into the truck and move on.  They are garbage collectors, not inspectors. I'd be switching trash companies if I were in your shoes and making it extremely clear why I was doing so.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
We have those same neighborhoods all over Oahu. 

They're the same people who wash their cars every Saturday or Sunday morning yet haven't painted their houses since Reagan was President.  But gosh do their trash cans look good!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »

Um, are you being facetious?  I mean, I could put the bagged crap in your mailbox instead.

Yes, if I saw you doing that, it would be returned to your house, maybe not still in the bag.  I'll be sure to use your trash can for whatever I don't feel like putting in my own, however.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

I'm sorry you have to fish bags of dogshit out of your trash can, but don't blame me: this is not an issue where I live.  Like I said, my local trash collectors just empty whatever is in the bin into the truck and move on.  They are garbage collectors, not inspectors. I'd be switching trash companies if I were in your shoes and making it extremely clear why I was doing so.
Brewer,
 I may be reading more into your comment than what was intended, but your comment makes me feel as if you want me to jump through some hoops so that a few people can impose their rude behavior on others.  That's blaming the victim for the actions of the offender. 
I live in DC where I pay taxes to the city and the department of public works picks up the garbage.  I also had to pay for a city-approved container, so it's not up to me to choose another garbage collector, it's MY trash bin that I keep on my personal property except for when I put it out for trash day, and I don't make rules but I do try to follow them.  DPW has also listed reasons on its website why dog-poop bags must be contained within regular trash bags and they remind dog-owners not to rudely use trash bins that don't belong to them.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »

Brewer,
 I may be reading more into your comment than what was intended, but your comment makes me feel as if you want me to jump through some hoops so that a few people can impose their rude behavior on others.  That's blaming the victim for the actions of the offender. 
I live in DC where I pay taxes to the city and the department of public works picks up the garbage.  I also had to pay for a city-approved container, so it's not up to me to choose another garbage collector, it's MY trash bin that I keep on my personal property except for when I put it out for trash day, and I don't make rules but I do try to follow them.  DPW has also listed reasons on its website why dog-poop bags must be contained within regular trash bags and they remind dog-owners not to rudely use trash bins that don't belong to them.

Reason #8,291,032 to not live in DC.  Amazing that we found yet another one...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
Okay, okay...I hear you on that one.  If I didn't love living here so much, I would seriously consider moving back to Virginia because it is so darn hard and expensive to have a small business here. 

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 08:44:11 PM »
Okay, okay...I hear you on that one.  If I didn't love living here so much, I would seriously consider moving back to Virginia because it is so darn hard and expensive to have a small business here.

I am a NJ refugee for these sorts of reasons (plus insane property taxes, crazy cost of living, everyone in my business by law, absurd nonsense to run the simplest business, endless commutes, obscene corruption at every level, etc.).  There is a lot more to life than the Eastern urban jungle.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
Wouldn't it just be a whole lot cheaper to have some $9.99 Rubbermaid trash cans shipped to you from Home Depot or Amazon or whatever every month or so, and just have the trash guy take the whole can, garbage and all, every month or so?  I can't imagine the guy coming to scrub them out is going to do it for much cheaper than $20 (the cost of 2 cans) considering travel time, cleaning time, materials, etc.  For that price I'd rather just have a brand new can instead of the same old one, just scrubbed with soapy water.

Of course, still completely unmustachian, but if you're going to be unmustachian at least be getting your money's worth.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »
Look - I wouldn't care if someone put bags of dog poop into my can, because I already have cat litter in there, so it doesn't smell like roses.

But seriously, if I didn't have pets, I would care. The same way I would care if you stuck your kid's dirty diaper in my trash can to bake in the sun. If I don't already have poop in my can, then I don't want your poop (or your dog's poop) in my can.

I assure you, most people would care if I took my sealed bag of dirty cat litter and stuck it in their can. Why would you think your flimsy dog poop bag is any different?

Sometimes, when it gets nice a hot, those little bags stick to the trash can and get left behind or tear open. That's super special when it's not your own household's poop!

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

I've never lived anywhere that I had a choice or trash collectors. I like the competition but that seems so wasteful too.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
Look - I wouldn't care if someone put bags of dog poop into my can, because I already have cat litter in there, so it doesn't smell like roses.

But seriously, if I didn't have pets, I would care. The same way I would care if you stuck your kid's dirty diaper in my trash can to bake in the sun. If I don't already have poop in my can, then I don't want your poop (or your dog's poop) in my can.

I assure you, most people would care if I took my sealed bag of dirty cat litter and stuck it in their can. Why would you think your flimsy dog poop bag is any different?

Sometimes, when it gets nice a hot, those little bags stick to the trash can and get left behind or tear open. That's super special when it's not your own household's poop!

[villan voice]

Hahahaha!!!  Try and stop me!

[/villain voice]

You people and your trash can issues, sheesh! For the record, if someone wandering by tosses a bag of something legal to throw in the trash in the handful of hours between when I put the can out and when it gets emptied, they are welcome to do so.  It is a trash can, not a kitchen counter.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »
Sorry I can't help it I got tears in my eyes reading the poop argument lol. Here I thought this whole time I was being considerate and doing a public service by bagging my dogs poop and depositing it in the nearest trash receptacle. I stand corrected. I guess I could see paying for trash can cleaning services if there is piles of dog poop in them. Please feel free to deposit your dog dropping bags in my outside trash receptacle.  This is much perfered over leaving it in my yard for my bare foot to find in the morning.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

You people and your trash can issues, sheesh! For the record, if someone wandering by tosses a bag of something legal to throw in the trash in the handful of hours between when I put the can out and when it gets emptied, they are welcome to do so.  It is a trash can, not a kitchen counter.

Yeah, I don't think that's what the bother is. Most of the time it's when the poop bag finds it's way into a just emptied bin and then it bakes in the bottom of a 64 gallon bin for a week or more before it's even noticed.    I also don't like it when people put their filthy cigarette butts on my sidewalk, lawn, or in my trash. It smells and it stinks up my garage and my house.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
Our local council only collects council approved rubbish bags (which cost about $2 a bag)  but will collect recycling for free.

Great incentive to minimise waste (and compost food waste) but not really available for other people poop bags...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
Our local council only collects council approved rubbish bags (which cost about $2 a bag)  but will collect recycling for free.

Great incentive to minimise waste (and compost food waste) but not really available for other people poop bags...

I recycle all my poop.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
I usually get my dog to climb into others' trash cans, eat some garbage then leave a big nasty in the bottom of the can.  My neighbors always give me the stink eye.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:24 PM »
I usually get my dog to climb into others' trash cans, eat some garbage then leave a big nasty in the bottom of the can.  My neighbors always give me the stink eye.

I am thinking about training my dogs to sneak into people's compost heaps and leave a big fat one, but they are hound dogs so they would probably just eat the compost.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »

Yeah, I don't think that's what the bother is. Most of the time it's when the poop bag finds it's way into a just emptied bin and then it bakes in the bottom of a 64 gallon bin for a week or more before it's even noticed.    I also don't like it when people put their filthy cigarette butts on my sidewalk, lawn, or in my trash. It smells and it stinks up my garage and my house.

Apparently you prefer all of this to end up in your mailbox.  Remind us where you live?

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »

I am thinking about training my dogs to sneak into people's compost heaps and leave a big fat one, but they are hound dogs so they would probably just eat the compost.

I used to live in Guelph, Ontario, where all waste must be sorted into dry waste (blue bags) and wet waste (green bags). Wet waste of composted. Pet waste was "wet", so you couldn't put it in a non-compostable bag first. You were allowed to put it in loose.

Some municipalities really take this shit seriously.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »
Where I live, there are dog poop receptacles everywhere, where you can get a poop bag, and put the poop into.  This isn't normal?  I live in Iowa for goodness sake, about as backward as anywhere.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
Where I live, there are dog poop receptacles everywhere, where you can get a poop bag, and put the poop into.  This isn't normal?  I live in Iowa for goodness sake, about as backward as anywhere.

Apparently Iowa is on the cutting edge of poop.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »

yeah, I can see this. overall I don't give a shit (ha!) but the scenario BlueHouse describes where the trash guys leave the little poop bags in your can (which, WTF? that would annoy me too but I understand you don't really have a choice) would be fucking awful. that said, based on my municipality's skillful handling of trash (no seriously they do a really good job), I don't care if someone puts their dog poop bags OR cigarette butts in my trash can if it's out by the curb. I have a dog, but don't smoke and think smoking/cigarettes are fucking vile and disgusting... but it's my TRASH CAN. I don't spend a lot of time hanging out by it and I don't really expect it to smell good! cigarette butts on my sidewalk or lawn, on the other hand, that's basically a hanging offense.

I've never lived anywhere that I had a choice or trash collectors. I like the competition but that seems so wasteful too.

yeah, I used to live in St. Paul and it was like that there (you had a choice/figured out your own trash). often people would figure it out with their neighbors so at least the whole block would have the same trash service. I too am torn on the concept, more competition is almost always a good thing but it's SOOOOO inefficient.

one of the surprising things Tulsa actually gets right is trash/recycling service. I don't know what it was like before since they overhauled it a few months after I moved here and right before I moved from an apartment into a house, but now it's awesome. single-sort recycling is free, you get a big ol recycling bin and trash bin (you choose the size) provided by the city, and trash service fees are prorated based on your choice of bin size (I do wish there was a little more price differential, I think there are three sizes and the smallest is $12 and the largest is like $15, but oh well). if you have extra trash or green waste you can buy little stickers to put on those bags so they'll take them (but we also got a bunch of stickers for free when they started the new service, and I still have like 95% of them left). they drive the trucks with the automated bin-picker-upper feature so small stuff doesn't usually get left behind, and one time when we forgot to bring our bins down to the curb (they usually reside tucked up next to our porch behind a tree), the trash guys actually went up and grabbed them for us!!!! my boyfriend and I were pretty wowed by that one.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »

Really?  You are that possessive?  Besides, how can it be trespassing when the can is at the curb (I would not like someone coming on my property to do so - agreed there) and likely in the public right of way?  Also, in my area we do not even own the can, the city does. mkay...

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
This whole thread brings back bad/good memories.  Back before plastic bags were put into garbage cans to keep them clean, my first job in high school was to clean about 30 garbage cans from the food service areas in the "state hospital".  The cleaning was done in the second basement of the mental ward.  Crawl in with a brush and scrub the inside and bottom of the can until it was clean.  At least I didn't get any visitors to check up on how I was doing down there.  And I'm sure it was a character building experience...;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »

Really?  You are that possessive?  Besides, how can it be trespassing when the can is at the curb (I would not like someone coming on my property to do so - agreed there) and likely in the public right of way?  Also, in my area we do not even own the can, the city does. mkay...

It's not a possessive thing, it's an invasion of personal space thing.  The fact that I'm required to put my can at the curb for collection is not an invitation to use services I have paid for, for free.  The can should be closed prior to collection, and opening it is certainly an invasion just like opening my accidentally unlocked car door when parked on the street.

I was contemplating trespassing because a can is on personal property, what, 99% of the time?  I don't know I don't even have one.  But I don't want your junk fliers on my mailbox, don't want your dog pee on the tree in front of my house, and don't want you to externalizers the social costs of your fetish for small animals.

Sometimes I think dog owners are like new parents, in that they think they are exempted from the rules just because they have a cute little thing.  You get the benefits of a loyal companion and take him around town to pee and shit all over.  If it's really onerous to hold onto that poop bag until you are home or at a public trash can, maybe you aren't responsible enough to take care of another living thing.  If you think it's no big deal, then just don't do it.  Clearly there are people who care, so why be a jerk and insist on imposing your fecal matter on others, or threaten to put it in their mailbox? 

Edit: regardless of can ownership or location, I am responsible for the can.  If you are not trespassing, you are illegally dumping (unauthorized disposal).  I may not own the sidewalk in front oft house, but I  responsible for its upkeep, and I don't want your poop there either, mkay?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:57:40 AM by dragoncar »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
I was contemplating trespassing because a can is on personal property, what, 99% of the time?  I don't know I don't even have one.  But I don't want your junk fliers on my mailbox, don't want your dog pee on the tree in front of my house, and don't want you to externalizers the social costs of your fetish for small animals.

wow, is that an issue too? what about trees that are on the patch of grass between the sidewalk and street? not trying to be a jerk, but as someone who walks a dog regularly it just literally never occurred to me that that would upset people.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 10:40:51 AM »

wow, is that an issue too? what about trees that are on the patch of grass between the sidewalk and street? not trying to be a jerk, but as someone who walks a dog regularly it just literally never occurred to me that that would upset people.

Of course not, that kills the patch of grass.  This obviously depends on the city, but places like NYC, DC, SF don't have nearly enough green space for the amount of pets that inhabit them.  I've seen countless signs in such median strips, begging dog owners not to allow their pet to pee there, because of some dying bush or grass or whatever.  If it was just one dog, it may not matter, but as you know, one dog pees there, 20 dogs want to pee there.  If you live out in the country, it's less of a concern, but it'll still make an unpleasant smell until the next rain (which in California can be months).  Lemme axe you... you are OK with ME regularly peeing in the grass in front of your house.

I understand that you're not trying to be a jerk(I'm not either).  I'm just observing that a lot of pet owners simply don't consider the impact of their pet ownership on others.  This isn't limited to pet owners, but barking dogs, crying babies in restaurants, etc. are common examples.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:44:45 AM by dragoncar »

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »

Of course not, that kills the patch of grass.  This obviously depends on the city, but places like NYC, DC, SF don't have nearly enough green space for the amount of pets that inhabit them.  I've seen countless signs in such median strips, begging dog owners not to allow their pet to pee there, because of some dying bush or grass or whatever.  If it was just one dog, it may not matter, but as you know, one dog pees there, 20 dogs want to pee there.  If you live out in the country, it's less of a concern, but it'll still make an unpleasant smell until the next rain (which in California can be months).  Lemme axe you... you are OK with ME regularly peeing in the grass in front of your house.

I understand that you're not trying to be a jerk(I'm not either).  I'm just observing that a lot of pet owners simply don't consider the impact of their pet ownership on others.  This isn't limited to pet owners, but barking dogs, crying babies in restaurants, etc. are common examples.

You seem to have some real issues.  Perhaps you would be happiest locking yourself in a windowless basement where nobody can offend your delicate sensibilities.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »

no, because you would be exposing yourself in front of my house and that is gross and creepy.

but my dog pees in my yard all the time and it doesn't reek of urine "until the next rain" (and no, I don't think I'm just oblivious to it, we entertain friends in our backyard often) and the grass isn't dead. I have never lived in a city as large/densely populated as those you mentioned, so maybe that's why I've never observed this issue. point taken, though, and I agree that in general people can be pretty oblivious to how their kid/pet/whatever annoys others.

but I'm still a little confused because your requirements that dogs not pee on any public green space ever seems to imply that you also think people should not walk their dogs ever, because what else is the dog owner supposed to do, catch the pee in a cup? I guess I really just don't get it. I'm sure you're not a jerk, and I get that not everyone likes dogs, but just asking, hypothetically, in your ideal world, would we just euthanize all dogs and be done with it?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »

You seem to have some real issues.  Perhaps you would be happiest locking yourself in a windowless basement where nobody can offend your delicate sensibilities.

I know, most people just love excrement.  I'm the one who is weird for not wanting it near me.  If you love it so much, perhaps you can put it in your pocket and not put it in other people's trash cans?  Nobody has yet explained to me why this is in any way hard.

no, because you would be exposing yourself in front of my house and that is gross and creepy.

but my dog pees in my yard all the time and it doesn't reek of urine "until the next rain" (and no, I don't think I'm just oblivious to it, we entertain friends in our backyard often) and the grass isn't dead. I have never lived in a city as large/densely populated as those you mentioned, so maybe that's why I've never observed this issue. point taken, though, and I agree that in general people can be pretty oblivious to how their kid/pet/whatever annoys others.

but I'm still a little confused because your requirements that dogs not pee on any public green space ever seems to imply that you also think people should not walk their dogs ever, because what else is the dog owner supposed to do, catch the pee in a cup? I guess I really just don't get it. I'm sure you're not a jerk, and I get that not everyone likes dogs, but just asking, hypothetically, in your ideal world, would we just euthanize all dogs and be done with it?

I actually love dogs and cats (but not their excrement, which is a big reason why I have none).

But I think there's a disconnect when you say it's not OK to see my penis (assuming I'm not being discreet), but I have to see dog penises whenever they pee on a tree, and dog assholes when they crap in the middle of a sidewalk.  Obviously, I wouldn't be exposing myself in a sexual nature (for example, in SF it would not be illegal for me to walk around nude for non-sexual purposes, not that I do it or enjoy it when others do).

Yeah, I'm not advocating laws against dog walking.  But in a perfect world, you'd walk your dog around town and let it poop or pee on your own property.  In this whole conversation, I still don't see why it's OK to externalize this stuff onto public land, other's property, etc. when you could just put the poop in your own can, or allow your dog to pee on your own property.

I know you can't reason with a dog like a human, but do dogs simply refuse to crap in your own yard?  Is it like an animal thing?  Serious question.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:17:32 PM by dragoncar »

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »

I know, most people just love excrement.  I'm the one who is weird for not wanting it near me.  If you love it so much, perhaps you can put it in your pocket and not put it in other people's trash cans?  Nobody has yet explained to me why this is in any way hard.

I actually love dogs and cats (but not their excrement, which is a big reason why I have none).

But I think there's a disconnect when you say it's not OK to see my penis (assuming I'm not being discreet), but I have to see dog penises whenever they pee on a tree, and dog assholes when they crap in the middle of a sidewalk.  Obviously, I wouldn't be exposing myself in a sexual nature (for example, in SF it would not be illegal for me to walk around nude for non-sexual purposes, not that I do it or enjoy it when others do).

Yeah, I'm not advocating laws against dog walking.  But in a perfect world, you'd walk your dog around town and let it poop or pee on your own property.  In this whole conversation, I still don't see why it's OK to externalize this stuff onto public land, other's property, etc. when you could just put the poop in your own can, or allow your dog to pee on your own property.

I know you can't reason with a dog like a human, but do dogs simply refuse to crap in your own yard?  Is it like an animal thing?  Serious question.

Dr. Freud would love you.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

Dr. Freud would love you.

All this coming from a user whose forum avatar says "Don't touch my junk."  Cognitive dissonance much?

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »

Do you ever wake up in the morning, try to poop but you can't yet, then you go for a run or brisk walk, and suddenly you really have to poop? That's what it's like for dogs. They need a little physical activity to get the bowels moving. I can stand in my front yard for hours with my dog and she won't poop, but once we walk 2 block she craps a load.

I think this argument is very goofy. Who expects their trash can to smell like roses? I could care less if my outdoor trash bin smells a little poopy.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »

So - you're going to laugh - but I was annoyed that my cat wasn't covering up her poop in the litter box, so I looked it up. It turns out to be a dominance thing. She will cover up the other cat's poop (if the other cat doesn't volunteer) and then poop right on top, just to let everyone know who's on top of her little cat hierarchy.

We have a neighborhood cat that comes by and poops right outside our window whenever our cats are watching him. But only if they watch.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if dogs save it up for similar reasons. If you're a dog, with all that dog-dominance-pack mentality and you feel like a poop's coming on, but know you're going for a walk. Why wouldn't you spread it around town?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if dogs save it up for similar reasons. If you're a dog, with all that dog-dominance-pack mentality and you feel like a poop's coming on, but know you're going for a walk. Why wouldn't you spread it around town?

So the dogs are just mirroring their owners attitudes, then?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »

Do you ever wake up in the morning, try to poop but you can't yet, then you go for a run or brisk walk, and suddenly you really have to poop? That's what it's like for dogs. They need a little physical activity to get the bowels moving. I can stand in my front yard for hours with my dog and she won't poop, but once we walk 2 block she craps a load.

I think this argument is very goofy. Who expects their trash can to smell like roses? I could care less if my outdoor trash bin smells a little poopy.

hahaha, yes! this exactly.

re. CPA Cat's comments, to be honest, if I notice my dog is peeing in the same spot regularly and I get the feeling he's doing it to piss off other animals (no pun intended, seriously), I will drag him through that spot to discourage it. I don't want him to get in the habit of being a jerk :) so no, dragoncar, I wouldn't say I purposely spread my pet's waste around the neighborhood out of some weird dominance motive. merely convenience and because I honestly do not see the pee causing any odor or dead grass issues.

then again, different standards may apply to different neighborhoods... mine happens to have a chronic "drunk homeless squatter" problem and I swear to god I saw actual human feces on the sidewalk a couple months ago (trust me, it is WAY larger and grosser than dog poo when you see it out in public like that), so I'm pretty sure my dog's pee is the least of the 'hood's problems! if you're in an upper class neighborhood full of well kept homes with manicured lawns, I guess a dog pee dead grass spot would stand out quite a bit.

I have to say, I am finding this whole conversation super interesting because it's just a perspective I never thought of (don't get me wrong, I am also enraged by those who don't clean up their dog's poo, but we are talking about another level here), so thanks for that, dragoncar. I still don't see eye to eye with you 100% but it's made me think!