Author Topic: Today's ridiculous top headlines from MoneySense...  (Read 9465 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
Today's ridiculous top headlines from MoneySense...
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:01 AM »
Take a look at the screenshot below and tell me what the fuck is wrong with Western culture?  It's just depressing that people can't make a simple A --> B connection with money.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: Today's ridiculous top headlines from MoneySense...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »
I don't get it: I see five advertisements in that screenshot, but only the bottom left one is labeled as such.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »
I like how the label is "SPEND". At least they did use some euphemism.

I have more than $90k in debt (including mortgage). But also a lot more saved. And interest rates should be fixed for most purchases. Why am I even bothering to nitpick the clickbait headline?

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
I don't get it: I see five advertisements in that screenshot, but only the bottom left one is labeled as such.

Those aren't ads, those links to their top news stories of the day.  (On a site that's supposed to be about managing money.)

Here's how to buy a pool, here's how to buy a $100 hot dog, how to buy a cottage, take taxis, oh, and by the way--most of you have a $90K debt problem.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:07:00 AM by Kaspian »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »

Those aren't ads, those links to their top news stories of the day.  (On a site that's supposed to be about managing money.)

Here's how to buy a pool, here's how to buy a $100 hot dog, how to buy a cottage, take taxis, oh, and by the way--most of you have a $90K debt problem.

I think Jack was implying those "articles" were just disguised advertisements.  I've run into a fair number of financial and budgeting articles that are stealthily advertising some product or they're sponsored by a company.

JamesAt15

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
Heh. I like that the "Average Household is Massively In Debt" article is right under the "$100 Hot Dogs Sell Out" article.  :-)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:03:37 AM »
Heh. I like that the "Average Household is Massively In Debt" article is right under the "$100 Hot Dogs Sell Out" article.  :-)

Maybe they bought 900 of the $100 hotdogs??

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
I see the hilarious irony, but I still have to ask:

$90K in consumer debt?
$90K in total debt?
$90K negative net worth?

I have $400K in mortgages on $500K in real estate producing sick leveraged returns... ;)

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »
Agreed, Zephyr.  Without knowing what the debt is in, one can not be sure it is all overconsumption.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

I think Jack was implying those "articles" were just disguised advertisements.  I've run into a fair number of financial and budgeting articles that are stealthily advertising some product or they're sponsored by a company.

Exactly: they're either stealth advertisements (like the things in magazines that look like articles until you notice the "special advertising section" fine print at the bottom of the page), or -- perhaps both more likely and more depressing -- the author's life is so inundated by advertising that he's writing in advertisement-mode subconsciously.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I assume that includes mortgage debt, otherwise it seems to high. Here's a nifty chart of US debt I just found on /r/personalfinance/:
http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/the-united-states-of-debt_55a416d7f081b.jpg
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:24:46 AM by RWD »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
I assume that includes mortgage debt, otherwise it seems to high. Here's a nifty chart of US debt I just found on /r/personalfinance/:
http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/the-united-states-of-debt_55a416d7f081b.jpg
That is a cool and informative chart, but where is car debt in there?

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
Seems US households are doing pretty well managing debt lately.  Average Canadian consumer debt now sits at $21,000 whereas the Americans sit at $7,177.  Our figure doesn't include student loans or mortgages.  :(  It's all gone pretty crazy up here. 

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
$100 hot dog???  (Fainting)....
I've paid $5 for good ones in the past...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
I once paid $25 for a lobster roll (and a huge one, I mean, like the size of a lobster) at the marina in Half Moon Bay. It was pretty ridiculous but it was amazing. I don't know how you ever make a hot dog worth 4x that.

Truffle chili?

Caviar?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
But it has cognac!

The placement of those panels is hilarious.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »
You should really learn to ignore clickbait crap.  There is so much good information on the internet, it's just not worth wasting brain power on.  Just my opinion.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »
I once paid $25 for a lobster roll (and a huge one, I mean, like the size of a lobster) at the marina in Half Moon Bay. It was pretty ridiculous but it was amazing. I don't know how you ever make a hot dog worth 4x that.

Truffle chili?

Caviar?

Sam's Chowder House? I only went once. I should have gotten the lobster roll. Next time!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:45:09 PM by forummm »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Sam's Crab House? I only went once. I should have gotten the lobster roll. Next time!
Sam's Chowder House, you mean? I just looked on the map... it was either that or the one down the block. I pulled in specifically for the lobster roll after seeing the sign. Still one of the best samiches I've ever had in my life, if not the best, which I guess it damn well should be for the price.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »
Sam's Crab House? I only went once. I should have gotten the lobster roll. Next time!
Sam's Chowder House, you mean? I just looked on the map... it was either that or the one down the block. I pulled in specifically for the lobster roll after seeing the sign. Still one of the best samiches I've ever had in my life, if not the best, which I guess it damn well should be for the price.

Yeah, they're "world famous" for it, according to them. Presidents go there for it.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »

Yeah, they're "world famous" for it, according to them. Presidents go there for it.

John Boehner was there the day after we visited.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
I wonder if the smell of tanning lotion has faded yet :/

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
I wonder if the smell of tanning lotion has faded yet :/

I'm more worried about the cigarettes. Less so the merlot.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
You should really learn to ignore clickbait crap.  There is so much good information on the internet, it's just not worth wasting brain power on.  Just my opinion.

Avoid it like the plague!  The problem is that MoneySense used to be one of the best sources of investing/saving information in Canada.  It was all well-written, logical, informative articles which actually got me started on indexing.  ...But that was back in the 2009 days when it was still "cool" to be frugal after the crash.  Apparently a bit of an economic recovery and everyone's back to eating cognac-crab sandwiches in their cottage swimming pools again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:00:21 PM by Kaspian »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »
MoneySense? That sounds like doublespeak.

On another note, remember that we've always been at war with eastasia.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »

Truffle chili?

Caviar?

Just had a $29 lobster roll in SF.  It was not huge, but it was tasty and I wasn't paying.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »

Truffle chili?

Caviar?

Just had a $29 lobster roll in SF.  It was not huge, but it was tasty and I wasn't paying.

There's a great spot here in Minneapolis that has an AMAZINGLY huge lobster roll that's like $17. I had it on Tuesday and have no regrets....

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
There's a great spot here in Minneapolis that has an AMAZINGLY huge lobster roll that's like $17. I had it on Tuesday and have no regrets....
If we keep talking about lobster rolls I'm gonna end up getting suckered in by the local food truck (Rollin' Lobstah). How NorAL ended up with such good lobster rolls I'll never know, and how they make them for barely $10 also mystifies me. I've only ever had one or two but I drive right by them all the time... damn.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
If we keep talking about lobster rolls I'm gonna end up getting suckered in by the local food truck (Rollin' Lobstah). How NorAL ended up with such good lobster rolls I'll never know, and how they make them for barely $10 also mystifies me. I've only ever had one or two but I drive right by them all the time... damn.

That's a great price so long as it's more lobster than a roll. The lobster roll I had on Tuesday had huge chunks of lobster. I'm willing to pay a little more for an occassional treat as it is fresh lobster. They have a massive lobster tank and are constantly making it fresh (or freshish for lobster rolls). It is restaurant week here so I splurged. My meal was $30 before tax and tip, but it included

2 amazing oysters, shrimp ceviche, lobster roll, lobster mac and cheese, and a slice of keylime pie.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
That's a great price so long as it's more lobster than a roll. The lobster roll I had on Tuesday had huge chunks of lobster. I'm willing to pay a little more for an occassional treat as it is fresh lobster. They have a massive lobster tank and are constantly making it fresh (or freshish for lobster rolls). It is restaurant week here so I splurged. My meal was $30 before tax and tip, but it included

2 amazing oysters, shrimp ceviche, lobster roll, lobster mac and cheese, and a slice of keylime pie.
This is basically a hot dog bun but it's packed full of the real deal. Nothing like the monster for $25 a HMB, but worth every penny on a special occasion. They also do deep-fried balls of lobster mac that are pretty insane. Only tried them once... can't forget. ;)

That feast sounds muh-fuggin' amazing.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »

This is basically a hot dog bun but it's packed full of the real deal. Nothing like the monster for $25 a HMB, but worth every penny on a special occasion. They also do deep-fried balls of lobster mac that are pretty insane. Only tried them once... can't forget. ;)

That feast sounds muh-fuggin' amazing.

Yeah it absolutely was. My friend that joined me saved a good chunk of her lobster for later as she was "lobstered out," but for the appetizer she ordered lobster guac, so that would make sense. It was a phenomenal meal and plan to go back in 6 months for the semi-annual restaurant week. Heck, I might splurge again and just get a lobster roll for $17 before tax and tip. It's that good.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
Will you guys shut up about lobster rolls?!  I'm like 650 miles from the nearest ocean, they don't make great ones in Canada anyway, and now my stomach is growlin' like a sumbitch for something I can't even get where I live!!  ;)

...What's next?  Memphis dry-rub ribs?  (Dammit, those are freakin' amazing!)  OK, don't talk about ribs either--pretty much same scenario as above.  ...And crab cakes.  (Crab in general.) And corn bread.  ...Or any of that other deliciousness you 'Mericuns cook up so well.  British fish and chips are off the table as well.  Cornish pasties.  Hungarian goulash.  Russian/Ukrainian/Any borscht. 

Damn, there are a lot of foods you can't get in my small city.  :(

My stomach also really is growling!  (Co-worker just asked if the noise was me.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Will you guys shut up about lobster rolls?!  I'm like 650 miles from the nearest ocean, they don't make great ones in Canada anyway, and now my stomach is growlin' like a sumbitch for something I can't even get where I live!!  ;)

...What's next?  Memphis dry-rub ribs?  (Dammit, those are freakin' amazing!)  OK, don't talk about ribs either--pretty much same scenario as above.  ...And crab cakes.  (Crab in general.) And corn bread.  ...Or any of that other deliciousness you 'Mericuns cook up so well.  British fish and chips are off the table as well.  Cornish pasties.  Hungarian goulash.  Russian/Ukrainian/Any borscht. 

My stomach also really is growling!  (Co-worker just asked if the noise was me.)

Wait, you can make a LOT of that stuff yourself.  I even bet frozen lobster would taste almost as good doused in butter.

I've been considering getting some kind of meat smoking apparatus, but held off because I have a local joint that sells at a very good price compared to DIY.  But if there was nothing around me?  I'd be all over that.

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »

Heck yes for living in the state with the least amount of credit card debt per person!  Woohoo!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »

Wait, you can make a LOT of that stuff yourself.  I even bet frozen lobster would taste almost as good doused in butter.

I've been considering getting some kind of meat smoking apparatus, but held off because I have a local joint that sells at a very good price compared to DIY.  But if there was nothing around me?  I'd be all over that.

I haven't made this before, but I bet it's delicious and might serve in a pinch. :-)

http://www.food.com/recipe/poor-mans-lobster-27268