Author Topic: Tiny-Penis-Truck Woes  (Read 18246 times)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Tiny-Penis-Truck Woes
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
An article on Yahoo today - https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebecer-fined-truck-used-flee-161000652.html

I have a lot of sympathy for those in Fort MacMurray who lost their homes etc in the recent fire, but this goes a little too far.  A 21-year-old former resident of Fort MacMurray, Alberta believes he shouldn't have to pay a traffic fine he got for driving his "Dodge 3500 diesel truck with an (illegal in Quebec) lift kit and huge tires" when he drove it around Quebec after fleeing the fire.  Now, it sucks that he had to flee like that and if I were the cop I might actually have given him a break warning, but his excuse was that he had no money to stay in Alberta, and had to drive to Quebec to stay with family. 

Driving from Alberta to Quebec is at least 2000 miles! (more depending on where in those provinces you start/finish) Not enough money to stay in a motel in Alberta or to switch to legal tires when in Quebec, but theres "enough" money to afford a FUCKING HUGE LIFTED DODGE 3500 DIESEL WITH EVEN HUGER TIRES...oh, and drive it across most of the country?  Yep, gotta have a truck like that at 21 before even thinking about holding a small amount of cash for emergencies.  Crazy.

The one guy in the comments that points this out gets crucified by most of the other commenters.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tiny-Penis-Truck Woes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:52:41 AM »
But a few days after arriving in his hometown of Bonaventure, in the Gaspé, Van Tol was pulled over by the Sûreté du Québec.

He drove it there. Fine, I get that. He knew it was illegal, yet he kept driving it around? No buddy. Don't get a pass on that one.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
You mention it in the title of the post, and I've always said: I genuinely feel sorry for guys who drive trucks like that. Overcompensating looks so expensive.

And now the poor guy is getting ticketed? Damn it, Quebec, it's not his fault he has a tiny dick! That's discriminating and size-ist.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
Spending all that $$$ to make your truck a special little snowflake attracts a lot of attention, seems like hes receiving exactly what he desired.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »
Spending all that $$$ to make your truck a special little snowflake attracts a lot of attention, seems like hes receiving exactly what he desired.

But THATS the funny part about all this, in Alberta he is not making his truck special, he is spending all that $$$ just to make it fit in!!  It just doesn't fit in so well when he drives it around Quebec. 

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
You mention it in the title of the post, and I've always said: I genuinely feel sorry for guys who drive trucks like that. Overcompensating looks so expensive.

And now the poor guy is getting ticketed? Damn it, Quebec, it's not his fault he has a tiny dick! That's discriminating and size-ist.

I kind of wonder... Do people ACTUALLY think there is a correlation to driving a big jacked up truck and having a tiny penis? I get it's fun to poke fun, but come on...

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »

I kind of wonder... Do people ACTUALLY think there is a correlation to driving a big jacked up truck and having a tiny penis? I get it's fun to poke fun, but come on...
I do.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
If you put aside the fact that his truck is to big, I actually disagree with the law in this situation.

I believe you should be able to drive your vehicle anywhere in your country of citizenship so long as the vehicle meets legality in the state/province in which it is registered.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

Well yes, men compensate for penis size with vehicles.  That's why I drive a 1999 Metro.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »

Nah, when I see someone with a big truck I think that either

a. They need it for work
b. They grew up in a rural area and/or the South

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 11:18:43 AM »

I figure they got a tiny brain, and a YUGE ego.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »

Not in reality. I do think that a lot of guys have bought into the whole "this makes me more masculine" mindset, though.

There's a thread somewhere around here bashing the ?Chevy? commercials from a few months/years ago where they have focus groups do word association with a big red truck and a plain looking sedan. "What type of man do you think drives this vehicle?"

Things like that actually do bother me.

Going on rants about it seems to confuse my non-mustachian friends, so instead I make a joke about tiny dicks and overcompensating, which gets part of the same point across in a way they can understand.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »

a. They need it for work

Yeah, I don't actually think the big-truck/small-penis is a real thing most of the time, but when i see someone driving a huge truck* i think either

a.  Asshole
b.  Stupid Asshole
or c.  Just Stupid

*Unless it's actually outfitted as a proper work truck haulin shit and with company signs on the side, but i'm more referring to the guys i see around here most of the time who drive a Dodge Dually or jacked up Toyota Tundra everyday and never seem to haul anything

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:43 AM »

a. They need it for work

Have you seen this post? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/04/28/what-does-your-work-truck-say-about-you/

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »

Well yes, men compensate for penis size with vehicles.  That's why I drive a 1999 Metro.

Relevant NSFW video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV9Uu2T0q0E

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
I do.

My best friend absolutely loves big honken' 4x4 trucks. Can't get enough of them. Loves driving them, loves towing stuff with them. Loves hauling stuff with them, etc..

Oh yeah, my best friend is a woman. or isssss she? *ponders*

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
If you put aside the fact that his truck is to big, I actually disagree with the law in this situation.

I believe you should be able to drive your vehicle anywhere in your country of citizenship so long as the vehicle meets legality in the state/province in which it is registered.

I disagree. I think a state/province should be able to make rules about vehicle requirements that all people in the state/province have to follow.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »

I disagree. I think a state/province should be able to make rules about vehicle requirements that all people in the state/province have to follow.

Same.  I'm sick of my windshield being peppered every year by those stupid lifted trucks.  I'm not sure if running with those huge tires without adequate mud guards is banned here or not, but they don't seem to enforce it if it is and I wish they would.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »

I don't know how things work in Cannuckistan, but in America, individual states can make rules, BUT they do/should only apply to vehicles registered in that state.  So, if for instance, I lived in Arizona and had heavily tinted windows to deal with the heat, I shouldn't have to scrape the tint off every time I want to drive to a different state.  It's onerous and arbitrary. 

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

Same.  I'm sick of my windshield being peppered every year by those stupid lifted trucks.  I'm not sure if running with those huge tires without adequate mud guards is banned here or not, but they don't seem to enforce it if it is and I wish they would.

If a person's primary residence is in the state/province... sure they should be required to follow the rules, but every person in the country should not have to research nitpicky laws in every area they are planning on driving through if they want to do a road trip. I feel like you all are focusing your hate for big trucks... what if instead we were talking about a certain area outlawing any aftermarket modification of any vehicle and your driving through with your Honda Fit with a bunch of eco-mods for hypermiling?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Oh, and I just noticed where he went to in Quebec, assuming he drove from Edmonton, Alberta its a 4421km drive!  That 2747 miles!  Holy Fuck.  I'll bet it cost between $600 and $1000 just in fuel for that trip depending on how shitty his gas mileage is now with the mods on his truck. 

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »

If a person's primary residence is in the state/province... sure they should be required to follow the rules, but every person in the country should not have to research nitpicky laws in every area they are planning on driving through if they want to do a road trip. I feel like you all are focusing your hate for big trucks... what if instead we were talking about a certain area outlawing any aftermarket modification of any vehicle and your driving through with your Honda Fit with a bunch of eco-mods for hypermiling?

If a province didn't allow electric cars, I would not enter the province with an electric car or I would accept the fine/ticket for driving an electric car. It is my responsibility to know the laws of the area that I am entering.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »

If a province didn't allow electric cars, I would not enter the province with an electric car or I would accept the fine/ticket for driving an electric car. It is my responsibility to know the laws of the area that I am entering.

well then... We have a difference of opinion so good thing we both live in countries where our opinion is the law... I'll make sure not to make a 2500 mile road trip into Canada unless I research the laws.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »

If it's an unsafe mod and puts the driver or other road users at risk in any meaningful way, a modification should be banned no matter if it's for a huge truck or a honda fit.  No argument from me there.  I also said in the original post if i was the cop, i probably wouldn't have given the guy a ticket (although that would depend greatly on the guys attitude and if he was doing anything else at the time that wasn't cool).  Oh, and the post was more about the 21 year olds irresponsible choice of vehicle and lack of emergency funds rather than if he should get a ticket or not or what laws make sense.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »
I'm actually disappointed that there wasn't a picture of the truck as part of the article. Were they afraid it would tip off Quebec law enforcement and they'd get even more tickets?

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »

I do.

By that logic, I should have a huge dick with my Honda Fit.  Too bad that isn't the case.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »

I do.

By that logic, I should have a huge dick with my Honda Fit.  Too bad that isn't the case.
OK, so maybe not biologically small, but I see folks with overly large vehicles, big nobby tires and lift kits as compensating for some sort of inadequacy.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »

OK, so maybe not biologically small, but I see folks with overly large vehicles, big nobby tires and lift kits as compensating for some sort of inadequacy.

It couldn't possibly be that the people who modify trucks get the same enjoyment out of doing so that others get out of bike commuting, gardening, going to the library, or reusing Ziplocs like those on this board.  No, the ONLY reason for jacking up a truck HAS to be compensating.  Got it. 

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
I'm actually not sure to what extent provinces can apply their laws to vehicles plated in another province. I live in Ontario and work in Quebec, as do many, many people in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Quebec requires snow tires for specified periods of the year. Ontario has no such rule. I'm quite sure it's just fine to drive into Quebec in your Ontario-plated car without snow tires (and the rule requiring the snow tires does not apply). In other instances, like how noisy vehicles are, I think the drivers can be fined -- maybe the law being applied in each case is different? Like Quebec's equivalent of Highway Traffic Act in one case and a municipal bylaw in the other? In any case, for any Americans thinking of crossing in to Canada, if you are concerned about local laws, look into it rather than assuming that each province can apply its rules to vehicles plated elsewhere (as this thread and the story it's based on imply).

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
No snow tires if you are plated out of province (out of QC that is) is ok but tinting and mufflers that don't meet their rules will be fined and are quite a bit.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »

It couldn't possibly be that the people who modify trucks get the same enjoyment out of doing so that others get out of bike commuting, gardening, going to the library, or reusing Ziplocs like those on this board.  No, the ONLY reason for jacking up a truck HAS to be compensating.  Got it. 

Yes, they DO get enjoyment out of modding trucks, in the same way that an extremely morbidly obese person enjoys eating.  No one is saying that it isn't fun, or interesting, or creative, it's downright fucking awesome what you can make a truck do these days with the time, money and some skill.  I've been a car guy since i was 3 years old and find virtually everything about cars and trucks interesting and fun.  Hell, I'm sitting in mechanic coveralls right now as i just took apart the starter of my old Toyota 5 min ago to clean the contacts, it was so fun i could do shit like that all day if i wanted.  But my point is that bike-commuting, gardening, going to the library etc* are HEALTHIER ways to have fun and get the most out of life while doing the least damage to the planet.  Modding trucks to make them even less practical or eating until you reach 800lbs and die may actually be fun at the time, but are less healthy ways to enjoy (a sometimes shorter) life, and generally do more harm to others and the ecosystem in the process.  This is the place where we make that distinction and try our best to make choices that strike the best balance for each of us to achieve the happiest life possible.  As thats the case, even though I'm a "car guy" i've sold my old sports car, and honestly have just as much fun working on my Hyundai and old Toyota.  When i'm FI (still quite a way off), i may get something sporty (but fairly practical) again, as it's something that does bring me joy, but for now i'm extremely content knowing i'll have the choice to work or not in the future. 

* i've never been a fan of reusing ziplocks though, lol

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »

Yes, they DO get enjoyment out of modding trucks, in the same way that an extremely morbidly obese person enjoys eating.  No one is saying that it isn't fun, or interesting, or creative, it's downright fucking awesome what you can make a truck do these days with the time, money and some skill.  I've been a car guy since i was 3 years old and find virtually everything about cars and trucks interesting and fun.  Hell, I'm sitting in mechanic coveralls right now as i just took apart the starter of my old Toyota 5 min ago to clean the contacts, it was so fun i could do shit like that all day if i wanted.  But my point is that bike-commuting, gardening, going to the library etc* are HEALTHIER ways to have fun and get the most out of life while doing the least damage to the planet.  Modding trucks to make them even less practical or eating until you reach 800lbs and die may actually be fun at the time, but are less healthy ways to enjoy (a sometimes shorter) life, and generally do more harm to others and the ecosystem in the process.  This is the place where we make that distinction and try our best to make choices that strike the best balance for each of us to achieve the happiest life possible.  As thats the case, even though I'm a "car guy" i've sold my old sports car, and honestly have just as much fun working on my Hyundai and old Toyota.  When i'm FI (still quite a way off), i may get something sporty (but fairly practical) again, as it's something that does bring me joy, but for now i'm extremely content knowing i'll have the choice to work or not in the future. 

You can say it's wasteful, or even dumb, but I don't think it's fair to attribute the "tiny penis compensation" thing.  That's a different sort of judgement, and one I don't think people here want turned around on them. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
The criticism seems to have struck a nerve.  :P

In traffic you need to make decisions about people based on stereotypes.  If you drive a tiny penis truck, my experience has been:
- you probably tailgate
- you are much more likely to peel away from a stop light
- you speed well above the limit
- you are a more aggressive than average driver
- you are unlikely to give a cyclist the space legally afforded
- you are likely to honk at a cyclist for no reason

If you act like a dick, people are going to have 'dick' in their minds when trying to explain your behavior.  Maybe there are some non-dick tiny penis truck drivers.  Maybe there are some Klan members who just thought they were attending 'dress up like ghosts' parties.  I guess anything's possible.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »

You can say it's wasteful, or even dumb, but I don't think it's fair to attribute the "tiny penis compensation" thing.  That's a different sort of judgement, and one I don't think people here want turned around on them.

Its not just an MMM thing, the penis extender truck concept isn't new or original, its a cultural response to peacocking men who drive obnoxious offroad vehicles on the road frequently.

I'd say its as common as referring to older males with sports cars as having a midlife crisis.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

Its not just an MMM thing, the penis extender truck concept isn't new or original, its a cultural response to peacocking men who drive obnoxious offroad vehicles on the road frequently.

I'd say its as common as referring to older males with sports cars as having a midlife crisis.

I am well aware it's very common.  I'm also aware that MMMers usually try to pretend to be above everyone else on most things, but here they are with this one. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »

Yes, the guy who drives a 4cyl sedan and a 4cyl roadster and has never owned a truck is feeling very offended.  Right.

In traffic you need to make decisions about people based on stereotypes.  If you drive a tiny penis truck, my experience has been:
- you probably tailgate

If you act like a dick, people are going to have 'dick' in their minds when trying to explain your behavior.  Maybe there are some non-dick tiny penis truck drivers.  Maybe there are some Klan members who just thought they were attending 'dress up like ghosts' parties.  I guess anything's possible.

Quite frankly, I see about a zillion large pickups a day, and very few live up to their stereotype.  Granted, those aren't all jacked up modified trucks, which are fairly rare here in Chicagoland.  But bad behavior is fairly rare.

However, I also see plenty of the 'MAMILs*' out and about, and they almost invariably live up (down) to their stereotypes as being terrible at roadsharing and extremely discourteous on the road (running lights/stop signs, riding 2-3 abreast, etc). 

*Middle Aged Men In Lycra, or the idiots riding roadbikes who think they're in the Tour de France

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
*Middle Aged Men In Lycra, or the idiots riding roadbikes who think they're in the Tour de France

I'll have you know that at this time of year I pretend I'm in the Giro d'Italia.  My Tour rides don't start until July.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »

- you probably tailgate

What if you use your lifted truck to carry your road bike to the bike trail?  LOL  Can't we all just get along.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 09:48:29 AM »
The tiny penis is just a symbol of masculine insecurity.  Wasn't that obvious to everyone?

It's not that anyone expects actual penis sizes of truck drivers to be smaller, that would be a purely biological oddity.  Rather, the correlation is between men who drive exaggerated trucks and men who are insecure about their manhood in general.  Usually it's because they've confused masculinity with physical attributes, like maybe they want be taller, or have bigger muscles, or a thicker beard, and since they can't advertise their masculinity with their bodies they instead advertise it with their vehicles.  It's just sexual signalling.  It's saying "I am a manly man and thus a good partner" with your vehicle instead of your actual person.  With the added bonus that it says both "I'm manly" and also "I'm rich" (which is supposed to be manly).

Some men are born with genetic gifts that confer these signals, but we've come to value masculinity so highly that some men will do anything to project the appearance of having more of it.  They'll get hair plugs.  They secretly wear high-heeled shoes.  They take steroids (now called "medication for low-T") and lift weights to get swole.  They dress and act in ways they think will signal to people that they are manly.

Buying a ridiculously impractical truck is just another way of trying to send that signal, but it's such a pathetically obvious one that we've established this whole counternarrative about how ineffective it is.  Driving a lifted truck to look more manly has become the modern equivalent of wearing those secret "lifts" in your shoes to look taller.  It's a pathetic attempt to look like something your'e not, because your'e insecure about what you actually are.  Interestingly, the most manly of men are typically the ones who pay no attention to such signalling because they are comfortable with their easy masculinity as it is, regardless of how hypersexualized it may be.  The same can be said for women who wear too much make-up and revealing clothing.  Just like the men, they are also trying too hard.

So do I think that the bro riding the lift kit literally has a tiny penis?  I never really think about other men's penises, so no not really.  But I DO think he might have some issues to work through regarding his ideas of appropriate gender roles and how to pursue romantic endeavors.  If you drive an exaggerated truck just for show, you're likely to also have some pretty fucked up ideas about how a man is supposed to act around women.  You're clearly not comfortable with your masculinity and rather than learn to adjust yourself and become a better person, you've just thrown a bunch of money at a shiny object that you think will help people overlook your shortcomings.  I don't think it's very manly to hide your faults rather than addressing and correcting them.

But that's four paragraphs of nuance that can be far more concisely communicated with a meme or bumper sticker:

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »

Thank you, this is a much more succinct way of expressing my frustration with the wastefulness I'm witnessing.  And really, I'm a "live and let live" kind of mustachian until what you drive impacts me and my environment more than more reasonable and readily available driving choices.

Sol, well put!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:38:29 AM by CheapskateWife »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »

I do.

Well, it's anecdotal, but in my personal experience, there is a correlation between small dick and big vehicle. Granted, size also isn't everything...

ETA: I love Sol's summary. Spot on.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:00:01 PM by Sibley »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
[quote author=Chris22 link=topic=56463.msg1096527#msg1096527 date=1464101269

However, I also see plenty of the 'MAMILs*' out and about, and they almost invariably live up (down) to their stereotypes as being terrible at roadsharing and extremely discourteous on the road (running lights/stop signs, riding 2-3 abreast, etc). 

[/quote]

I get the whole truck thing, having spent my entire life in a very rural, redneck part of the country. The bike think, however, just amazes me. When we travel to healthier, more civilized areas of the country, I simply cannot believe how many of the Mamils you describe are perfectly willing to put themselves in a position to end up as stain on the road, because of their attitude.  55MPH backroads, and your skinny, shiny asses are lined up three wide on a blind corner?  Riding like you have all the rights as a 3000 LB car, until you decide that you are too important for stop lights, stop signs, or signaling your attentions. Riding the wrong way on one way streets. Weaving around pedestrians at crosswalks, since you decided that the sidewalk suits you better at the moment. It's an amazing thing to watch.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

I get the whole truck thing, having spent my entire life in a very rural, redneck part of the country. The bike think, however, just amazes me. When we travel to healthier, more civilized areas of the country, I simply cannot believe how many of the Mamils you describe are perfectly willing to put themselves in a position to end up as stain on the road, because of their attitude.  55MPH backroads, and your skinny, shiny asses are lined up three wide on a blind corner?  Riding like you have all the rights as a 3000 LB car, until you decide that you are too important for stop lights, stop signs, or signaling your attentions. Riding the wrong way on one way streets. Weaving around pedestrians at crosswalks, since you decided that the sidewalk suits you better at the moment. It's an amazing thing to watch.

I literally almost just creamed some dude coming back from lunch, major intersection with three main roads converging, I have the green, some chucklehead in a team jersey on a bike comes flying out of nowhere and crosses right in front of me.  If I wasn't in my sports car with excellent brakes, I'd be giving a statement on the side of the road now and he'd be getting cleaned up with a spatula.  Amazing.

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »

It doesn't have to be a tiny penis. The person may just be short, or a small penis, or small hands, or whatever else they feel they have to compensate for physically or emotionally.  But to the gist of your question YES driving a big jacked up truck means you are compensating for something (I believe) - but it doesn't have to be penis.

In less rural/conservative areas the "BMW people" would also fall into this same category, in my opinion.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »

In less rural/conservative areas the "BMW people" would also fall into this same category, in my opinion.

Lol, on this one.  Like I just posted, a few up thread, I live in a really rural area, where jacked up trucks are tolerated with everything from knowing nods from the high school boys, to a subtle eye roll from the more mature crowd. They are hardly embraced, or sought after by 99% of the population.  BMWs and Mercedes are a totally different problem entirely. They are pretty rarely seen in these parts, and they can often be accurately stereotyped as having a driver that's #1 from one of two of the big cities within a two hour driving distance. #2 drives like a certified asshole, who thinks the world is a much better place since they exist.  #3 is probably somebody you would be better off avoiding at all cost, be it a social, or business relationship. Might sound harsh, but after decades of being in business in this area, it's pretty accurate.

As for the big truck, a lot of this silliness is a result of the now collapsed oil boom, and a bunch of young guys who were making more money than they ever dreamed and had, for the first time in their lives, a metric shit ton of disposable income. Did they do the right thing? Hell no. Do most late teens, early twenties males make great, mature and financially savvy decisions at that time in their lives? Hell no.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »

It doesn't have to be a tiny penis. The person may just be short, or a small penis, or small hands, or whatever else they feel they have to compensate for physically or emotionally.  But to the gist of your question YES driving a big jacked up truck means you are compensating for something (I believe) - but it doesn't have to be penis.

Are all the females driving trucks wearing padded bra's?  Do they have a different negative characteristic that forces them to drive a truck?  Unless they are transgender, I would assume they are not compensating for their small penises.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
Are all the females driving trucks wearing padded bra's?  Do they have a different negative characteristic that forces them to drive a truck?  Unless they are transgender, I would assume they are not compensating for their small penises.

Not everyone who drives a truck is compensating for their insecurity, of course.  Some of them are genuine work vehicles.  We're mostly talking about the enormous aftermarket moded shiny trucks with chrome and pristine paint that have never hauled a load or driven in the mud.  Those are just purchased displays of wealth and power for people who probably don't have either.

And to more directly answer your question, yes I think many women buy trucks for the exact same reasons.  They feel marginalized or denigrated by a society that seems to only value masculine traits, so they try to adopt some of those traits for themselves.  They like sitting up high above traffic because it makes them feel powerful and respected, just like it does for the men who buy them because they also want to feel powerful and respected.

People (of either gender) who are legitimately powerful and respected don't usually feel the need to bother with such theatrics. 

So the BMW drivers mentioned above, while also trying to signal their sexual fitness, are doing so without the pathetic undercurrent of the fake power struggle.  Luxury cars are more like convertibles or low riders or hoopties rollin'on dubs, also an attempt to signal sexual fitness but without the inherent subjugation of their target audience.  I think that's why trucks get singled out more often.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2016, 04:42:21 PM »

Fair enough, but thats really the only part of my post where i wasn't being literal in my judgement, I'm only using the term as it's one that it seems everyone understands.  I could have put (and maybe should have put) "Jacked-up-Truck Woes" as the title, it just doesn't grab the same attention :)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:27 AM »

Lol, on this one.  Like I just posted, a few up thread, I live in a really rural area, where jacked up trucks are tolerated with everything from knowing nods from the high school boys, to a subtle eye roll from the more mature crowd. They are hardly embraced, or sought after by 99% of the population.  BMWs and Mercedes are a totally different problem entirely. They are pretty rarely seen in these parts, and they can often be accurately stereotyped as having a driver that's #1 from one of two of the big cities within a two hour driving distance. #2 drives like a certified asshole, who thinks the world is a much better place since they exist.  #3 is probably somebody you would be better off avoiding at all cost, be it a social, or business relationship.

There are two BMW sedans regularly parked on my perfectly safe but lower-middle-class block. I really don't understand the mental state that leads one to live where I do, then buy a BMW and park it on the street.

At least the one guy took the Confederate flag off his car.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 05:19:29 AM »

Fair enough, but thats really the only part of my post where i wasn't being literal in my judgement, I'm only using the term as it's one that it seems everyone understands.  I could have put (and maybe should have put) "Jacked-up-Truck Woes" as the title, it just doesn't grab the same attention :)

Being inflammatory and denigrating to a minority population does seem to 'grab the attention' around here. Good work...?