Author Topic: Thrift Shop Anti-Mustachian Clown Cars  (Read 5360 times)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
Thrift Shop Anti-Mustachian Clown Cars
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
I've had occasion to pass by the local thrift shop several times over the past few weeks and noticed that almost all the cars parked for the thrift shop are large, new, SUVs or pickups.  If they can afford big new cars, why are they hovering around the front door waiting for it to open?  My best guess is that they go in and scarf up the good stuff and sell it on Craigslist or Ebay.

Side note:  A friend would buy anything made of denim, take it out to the range and fire one or more shotgun blasts through it.  Sold for lots of money on Ebay as "Shot Wear".

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Thrift Shop Anti-Mustachian Clown Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Aw...I thought from the title of the thread that you had found a thrift store that was selling cars...nope.

I also see the fancy cars in the parking lot. Maybe they value the fancy car more than new clothes? (True for my stepmother - she likes the fancy new car and will settle for secondhand everything else to afford it).  It's not a choice that I would make - I value freedom more so have a small economy car AND secondhand clothes.

What others are driving doesn't bother me.  I mean, I shop at thrift stores and I'm not exactly poor. They have as much right as I do to shop where they want. 

But  for some reason the dealers do upset me while logically it makes no difference.  Unsold stuff gets bundled up and goes further down the chain or ends up in landfills.  At least in my area there seems to be an unending supply of thrift store wares - mountains of it.  We probably need more people buying this stuff and less people buying stuff that they donate because they never needed it.

There's a nearby Goodwill Outlet that cycles huge bins of stuff and sells everything by the pound.  The amount of stuff cycling through that place in an hour is hard for me to describe.
The dealers at that place are out of control.   The staff have to rope off sections before bringing out fresh bins to prevent themselves from getting trampled.
People line up and wait for the ropes to drop and then RUN to the bins and start pillaging.   
Dealers tend to focus on one type of clothing - I've seen young men frantically snatching every pair of blue jeans until their stack was over their head while others were focusing on pulling all baby clothes, or all towels.  They will snatch things out of your hands, push you aside, and step on you.

I shop there maybe 4 times a year and have gotten some really good deals.
It's not for the faint of heart.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »
I've had occasion to pass by the local thrift shop several times over the past few weeks and noticed that almost all the cars parked for the thrift shop are large, new, SUVs or pickups.  If they can afford big new cars, why are they hovering around the front door waiting for it to open?  My best guess is that they go in and scarf up the good stuff and sell it on Craigslist or Ebay.

Side note:  A friend would buy anything made of denim, take it out to the range and fire one or more shotgun blasts through it.  Sold for lots of money on Ebay as "Shot Wear".

Maybe they are millionaires who like a nice car, but otherwise look for bargains?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
I think you're all missing the obvious.  They're pouring all of their cash into that car payment + insurance, so they can't afford anything more expensive than the Thrift Store when it comes to clothes or furniture. 

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:17 AM »
I think you're all missing the obvious.  They're pouring all of their cash into that car payment + insurance, so they can't afford anything more expensive than the Thrift Store when it comes to clothes or furniture.

Would you feel better if the scenario was reversed? Why/why not?

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I find a lot of big spenders think they are actually frugal or have one frugal element in their behavior that makes them not see the big picture.  One of my friends spends 110%of her income on boats, vacations, high end cars, but uses coupons at the grocery store and is convinced she is good with her money. 

Goldie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Eh, I don't see the big deal. Maybe they're wealthy people who don't care about the quality of their clothes. I remember my grandfather always talking about the people in his Florida neighborhood. These were millionaires who would drive to their winter home and buy all their clothes for the season at Goodwill then donate everything when it was time to go back up North. I know a couple wealthy people now who dress like flood victims. Truly horrible clothes that don't fit at all! It's comical.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
There are plenty of deals to be had when non-mustachians buy too much car and need to dump it or it's repossessed. If people are willing to buy used clothes and household items, why would you assume they buy new cars?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
Aw...I thought from the title of the thread that you had found a thrift store that was selling cars...nope.

I also see the fancy cars in the parking lot. Maybe they value the fancy car more than new clothes? (True for my stepmother - she likes the fancy new car and will settle for secondhand everything else to afford it).  It's not a choice that I would make - I value freedom more so have a small economy car AND secondhand clothes.

What others are driving doesn't bother me.  I mean, I shop at thrift stores and I'm not exactly poor. They have as much right as I do to shop where they want. 

But  for some reason the dealers do upset me while logically it makes no difference.  Unsold stuff gets bundled up and goes further down the chain or ends up in landfills.  At least in my area there seems to be an unending supply of thrift store wares - mountains of it.  We probably need more people buying this stuff and less people buying stuff that they donate because they never needed it.

There's a nearby Goodwill Outlet that cycles huge bins of stuff and sells everything by the pound.  The amount of stuff cycling through that place in an hour is hard for me to describe.
The dealers at that place are out of control.   The staff have to rope off sections before bringing out fresh bins to prevent themselves from getting trampled.
People line up and wait for the ropes to drop and then RUN to the bins and start pillaging.   
Dealers tend to focus on one type of clothing - I've seen young men frantically snatching every pair of blue jeans until their stack was over their head while others were focusing on pulling all baby clothes, or all towels.  They will snatch things out of your hands, push you aside, and step on you.

I want to go to one of these so badly. I have a great eye for clothing and feel like I'm missing out!

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:07:33 AM »

I want to go to one of these so badly. I have a great eye for clothing and feel like I'm missing out!

I went to one with my mother and she was pushed around and shaken up by a team of people getting all the leather shoes. I did get a pair of seemingly brand new Chacos for a few dollars.

I wouldnt go back.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!