Author Topic: Three Cheers for Eric Simons!  (Read 4780 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Three Cheers for Eric Simons!
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
What's the highest award level of Mustachian-ism? If this guy doesn't deserve it, no one does. Yeah, yeah, I know technically he wasn't coloring strictly within the lines of the law, but his story is still quite an inspiration.

http://news.yahoo.com/meet-the-tireless-entrepreneur-who-squatted-at-aol.html

I suspect there are other stories like his out there. Ken Ilgunas, aka "The Starving Student", comes to mind. Does anyone know of any others? Extra credit if they have blogs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:38:42 PM by Diane C »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Three Cheers for Eric Simons!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
That was a good story.

You can almost guarantee that guy will see success.  Someone that driven will make it work.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the read.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
pretty funny story!

YoungAndWise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
That is awesome.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:53:12 AM by YoungAndWise »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
On the surface, this thread totally doesn't belong in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" forum (maybe "Mustachianism Around The Web"?)

But reading the article unintentionally highlighted the act of Antimustachian Shame and Comedy that huge numbers of us participate in every day, by having one building we sleep in that sits unused throughout the day, and one building we work in that sits unused throughout the night, often a not-insignificant distance apart.  What a horrible waste of resources!  Entire buildings, heating/cooling systems, furniture, almost duplicate-everything, for what?  Ok, certainly there are benefits to working spaces that are physically separate from living spaces, but I bet those benefits aren't worth the costs that we pay for them.  So kudos to this guy for noticing the absurdity of it all and taking advantage of what was right in front of him to live a more-efficient life.

Uncephalized

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
On the surface, this thread totally doesn't belong in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" forum (maybe "Mustachianism Around The Web"?)

But reading the article unintentionally highlighted the act of Antimustachian Shame and Comedy that huge numbers of us participate in every day, by having one building we sleep in that sits unused throughout the day, and one building we work in that sits unused throughout the night, often a not-insignificant distance apart.  What a horrible waste of resources!  Entire buildings, heating/cooling systems, furniture, almost duplicate-everything, for what?  Ok, certainly there are benefits to working spaces that are physically separate from living spaces, but I bet those benefits aren't worth the costs that we pay for them.  So kudos to this guy for noticing the absurdity of it all and taking advantage of what was right in front of him to live a more-efficient life.
I've always had a little fantasy of running a shop or something and living in an apartment above the shop. Or converting part of a warehouse I use for business into an apartment and living there. It sounds really fun... and totally cost-effective.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Some friends own a machine shop in the Seattle Area. When the economy got tough, they sold their house and moved into the business. They carved out a small apartment in existing storage space. They saved a ton of dough. Being there 24/7 really showed their workers how committed they were to making the business succeed. Her biggest peeve was that the bathroom was downstairs. If she wanted to take a shower, she had to be finished by 5:30am before the first shift started. Oh, that and the fact that they had no laundry facilities. She has some funny close calls and laundromat stories to tell.

The business is going strong these days, so they bought another house and moved out of the shop.  To see them now, you'd think they had it made, but I really respect their willingness to do whatever it took.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!