Author Topic: This blog entry... oh boy...  (Read 55447 times)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Re: This blog entry... oh boy...
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »
The entire concept of "deserving" or not "deserving" objects is nonsense.  You can afford it or you can't.  I think your mother will still love you regardless of your material possessions.
Yet it's clearly a marketing technique that works.  McDonalds, I think, did it first with "You deserve a break today". 

I think I agree that this is a technique that works on women.  Many women will drop money on their kids in a heartbeat, will buy nice things for their husbands and houses ... but will think twice, three times, four times before splurging on themselves.  For women who fall into this type of mentality, hearing "you deserve it" is permission to spend. 

I think it's also aimed at low-income people. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »
Clothing is only an investment if it makes you money. If she's "investing" in her appearance, it means...
Well, clothing is a necessity, and it's easy to let the word "investment" slide into everyday shopping -- when you're talking about something like a good wool coat that might last you more than a decade.  Or when you're talking about buying the better-quality suit.  And if you're expected to dress professionally for your job, clothing can be an "investment" in that you can expect to use these things to convey the necessary image at your job.  Ultimately, it makes more sense to say that item of clothing was a "good spend".

I thought about what you said, and you're right. People are sometimes not hired, or denied promotions or raises, based in part on appearance. Clothing can be an aspect of that appearance. In many jobs there's going to be a minimum level of presentation required beneath which a person is penalized for being poorly dressed. A few extra dollars to get a person over that line if he or she is beneath it will definitely pay off, and that *does* meet the defnition of investment.

But I'm not as certain that there's a corresponding boost at the higher end of the scale, where a person can dress their way to promotion.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »
UGH... Anyone who makes money teaching other people how to make money living an extravagant lifestyle and working 4 hours per week... how do these people continue to exist...?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »
UGH... Anyone who makes money teaching other people how to make money living an extravagant lifestyle and working 4 hours per week... how do these people continue to exist...?
People love a good fantasy.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
Clothing is only an investment if it makes you money. If she's "investing" in her appearance, it means...
Well, clothing is a necessity, and it's easy to let the word "investment" slide into everyday shopping -- when you're talking about something like a good wool coat that might last you more than a decade.  Or when you're talking about buying the better-quality suit.  And if you're expected to dress professionally for your job, clothing can be an "investment" in that you can expect to use these things to convey the necessary image at your job.  Ultimately, it makes more sense to say that item of clothing was a "good spend".

I thought about what you said, and you're right. People are sometimes not hired, or denied promotions or raises, based in part on appearance. Clothing can be an aspect of that appearance. In many jobs there's going to be a minimum level of presentation required beneath which a person is penalized for being poorly dressed. A few extra dollars to get a person over that line if he or she is beneath it will definitely pay off, and that *does* meet the defnition of investment.

But I'm not as certain that there's a corresponding boost at the higher end of the scale, where a person can dress their way to promotion.
I agree:  Without appearing professional (and clothing IS a big part of that), you may find that the door to the job you want is closed.  And once you have the job, you must maintain the company's professional image; however, I totally agree that you can't dress your way to a promotion -- once you're in the job, productivity and achievements are necessary to propel you ahead. 

I also agree with the comment "a few extra dollars".  Spending a little more to get the quality shoes that'll last five years instead of one year makes sense; spending a little more to get the coat that really looks good on you and will last a decade is better than making do with the ratty old windbreaker that you wore to college football games.  But when you get into the realm of designer names, you're paying for ego instead of quality. 

It's a fine line to walk.   

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »

I agree:  Without appearing professional (and clothing IS a big part of that), you may find that the door to the job you want is closed.  And once you have the job, you must maintain the company's professional image; however, I totally agree that you can't dress your way to a promotion -- once you're in the job, productivity and achievements are necessary to propel you ahead. 

I also agree with the comment "a few extra dollars".  Spending a little more to get the quality shoes that'll last five years instead of one year makes sense; spending a little more to get the coat that really looks good on you and will last a decade is better than making do with the ratty old windbreaker that you wore to college football games.  But when you get into the realm of designer names, you're paying for ego instead of quality. 

Also, as a woman, paying for ONE pair of quality heels that are comfortable to stand in for 8 hours straight and don't leave you limping (because limping along behind your male colleagues because your shoes hurt your feet = problem) is worth it (Cole Haan. 200$. 5 years of regular wear and still good but not needed at my current job). Having 6 pairs of 'investment' shoes is NOT an investment.

There's a quality issue, but also a QUANTITY issue.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »

Also, as a woman, paying for ONE pair of quality heels that are comfortable to stand in for 8 hours straight and don't leave you limping (because limping along behind your male colleagues because your shoes hurt your feet = problem) is worth it (Cole Haan. 200$. 5 years of regular wear and still good but not needed at my current job). Having 6 pairs of 'investment' shoes is NOT an investment.

There are definitely lots of things that are expensive that are nonetheless "good buys" because they provide a benefit that justifies the cost (although it should be noted that the ability to carefully "buy it for life" is something only the relatively wealthy, globally speaking, can really afford to do).  But this woman is clearly not making those sorts of careful decisions about utility and quality, she's making decisions based on how purchases make her FEEL as a WOMAN based on VIBRATIONS from the UNIVERSE.  That she ends up with quality bras and work clothes out of the deal seems like kind of a fringe bonus.

crispy

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »

I agree that a professional image is important. I have to dress professionally for my job, but I do it on a low budget. My clothes come from thrift stores and closeout stores. My big score this year was a gorgeous,  high quality wool coat with the $500 Nordstram tags still attached for $20. I love when I find quality at a low price.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
I agree that a professional image is important. I have to dress professionally for my job, but I do it on a low budget. My clothes come from thrift stores and closeout stores. My big score this year was a gorgeous,  high quality wool coat with the $500 Nordstram tags still attached for $20. I love when I find quality at a low price.

Gah... I paid that much just to have my pea coat custom fitted to me!

crispy

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »

Gah... I paid that much just to have my pea coat custom fitted to me!

Amazingly, it fit perfectly. The gray/green color wouldn't have been my first choice, but it has grown on me.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »

I have some foot problems, so I do pay more for my shoes now; however, I agree with you that shoes hurting your feet = problem, even if you're not talking about limping behind your colleagues (male or female).  My daughter, who's a nurse, says that you have to take care of your feet ... because foot problems lead to ankle, knee and hip problems, which lead to surgery and/or decreased mobility, which leads to all sorts of issues. 

I don't know that I agree that ONE pair of good quality shoes is enough.  Rotating your shoes /giving them a chance to completely dry out from foot sweat makes them last longer.  I do stand pretty much all day, every day, and I'd say 2-3 pair of work shoes is reasonable.  I'm not keeping records, but I think I'm getting more than five years of use from my shoes. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
All face-punching aside, as a dude who has chronically tight muscles and always has bits that hurt, I would kill a man to have 2x massages a week.
As someone who screwed up her back, I'm with you.  I get massages once every 4 weeks just to be able to work.  I do, however, pay for them through my HSA because I have a MD note saying it is medically required.  Might help?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »

I have some foot problems, so I do pay more for my shoes now; however, I agree with you that shoes hurting your feet = problem, even if you're not talking about limping behind your colleagues (male or female).  My daughter, who's a nurse, says that you have to take care of your feet ... because foot problems lead to ankle, knee and hip problems, which lead to surgery and/or decreased mobility, which leads to all sorts of issues. 

I don't know that I agree that ONE pair of good quality shoes is enough.  Rotating your shoes /giving them a chance to completely dry out from foot sweat makes them last longer.  I do stand pretty much all day, every day, and I'd say 2-3 pair of work shoes is reasonable.  I'm not keeping records, but I think I'm getting more than five years of use from my shoes.

Oh, sure, I own more than 1 pair of work shoes (I think I'd say that I wear 4 pairs in regular rotation, depending on weather and outfit). But, while I can justify an obscene amount of money (aka: that 200$ I mentioned) on heels that are corporate-appropriate and don't hurt my feet... I have NO intention of wearing heels every day, and even less intention of spending 200$ on 4 pairs of shoes. The other shoes I have are flats that are comfortable, don't hurt my feet, are generally supportive, look really nice, and cost around 50$/pair. And most are 5-6 years old and look great, even with the semi-regular wear.

It's the 'I NEED a 6th pair of heels at this price point, it's an INVESTMENT' attitude that I'm side-eyeing.

I think what also helps balance things is that we have a household clothing budget, not an individual clothing budget. So purchases require a use case, basically. "I need another t-shirt to make it through laundry days" or"these shoes are wearing out and can't be fixed and this pair fits these needs and is on sale" are easy sells to Spouse. "I need a 6th pair of shoes for... Reasons..." not so much. And that goes both ways.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
For whatever reason this thread came to mind today and I thought I'd see what the blogger quoted in the OP is up to, given the "hundreds of thousands spent on coaching".

Supposedly a radio host, the most recent podcast is from 2 years ago.
Website says they are hiring for a new position, the deadline to apply is a year ago.
The home page of her website is advertising events where she connects you with the spirit of your dead loved ones, but there are no upcoming events.
Her FB page describes her as an entrepreneur, best-selling author and spirit medium.

The spirit medium thing must be new, it's not part of her bio on Amazon for her one book.

eav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »
As a woman the only things I could see myself "investing" in are items that impact my physical health:

Good bras prevent neck/back pain - crucial, I get mine from Soma
Quality good-fitting shoes as mentioned above prevent many whole body issues - not practicing this currently as I wear the same pair of flats from payless everyday which is horrible for me
Massages - may do these eventually. I could see them being extremely helpful releasing tension and also being a mild mental health improvement

Agree that seeing most of the items she talks about as "investments" are just excuses to spend and would appeal to the mass female audience.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
For whatever reason this thread came to mind today and I thought I'd see what the blogger quoted in the OP is up to, given the "hundreds of thousands spent on coaching".

Supposedly a radio host, the most recent podcast is from 2 years ago.
Website says they are hiring for a new position, the deadline to apply is a year ago.
The home page of her website is advertising events where she connects you with the spirit of your dead loved ones, but there are no upcoming events.
Her FB page describes her as an entrepreneur, best-selling author and spirit medium.

The spirit medium thing must be new, it's not part of her bio on Amazon for her one book.
Stephanie reinvents herself periodically, and she seems active on Facebook and
Insta. Maybe she abandoned that website and that is not good for her image.

She  is all over Facebook and Insta and etc, still selling the same dumb crap which appears to be motivational marketing for clients’ businesses. She is a “business coach.” Whatever that is.

She is the inspirational leader to anyone who will pay her fees.

I followed her for a while as part of a group on FB and it was the same stuff week after week, month after month, directed at her clients and wanna be clients.

For a while, the people who had been thru her tutoring all put out, on their social media, filmed posts of them sitting in their cars behind the steering wheel, yakking at the camera. I think this was supposed to illustrate what Busy Professional Women they were. It was just funny.

Hi Stephanie! She may trace  traffic from MMM to her sites and chck us out.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:36:06 PM by iris lily »

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
*eye roll* someone should tell them that Busy Professional Women mostly spend their time in meetings and conference calls while trying to stay on top of emails.  It's pretty unglamorous.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2018, 06:06:52 AM »
*eye roll* someone should tell them that Busy Professional Women mostly spend their time in meetings and conference calls while trying to stay on top of emails.  It's pretty unglamorous.

+1 to that :-)

Chraurelius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
Did anyone notice that she's black?  The rules are very different, and as a saleswoman, she has to look not just good, but great. Everything has to be expensive and high quality to impress clients.

I have to admit I use house cleaners, and buy take out, and if I wanted them I'd have flowers and massages.  If I ever fly again, it'll be first class.  Guess I'm not that mustachian either.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
I ran across this old thread on MMM. It’s interesting to me because this thread is what introduced me to Stephanie Synclair. Since this thread I’ve been checking in on her over the past seven years. She’s a trip. I don’t know that she’s doing that much business coaching these days, but she is a medium and she still in the guru business. She’s also selling teas.

Funny how she’s changed her tune about “investments “as Gucci bags and first class airline tickets. She is now about real estate as
“ Investment.” I put it in quotes because I don’t know how savvy she is and I think she’s mostly talking about the new acreage she bought where she’s going to start up an organic farm.

Just this week she made a long lecturing post about the wealth of African-Americans. There is a new data that shows  average assets of African-Americans have dropped, while their spending power has risen. Stephanie shakes her social media finger at AA people about buying crap and failing to grow assets.

This is fun because some of you may remember this MMM thread caused Stephanie to reference it in one of her many interviews and blog posts years ago and make fun of the MMM ideal.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 12:26:00 PM by iris lily »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
I love necroposts. Except then I see all the mustachians who are no longer active and miss them and wonder how they're doing. I hope all of their FIRE dreams have come true.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2022, 08:43:22 PM »
I love necroposts. Except then I see all the mustachians who are no longer active and miss them and wonder how they're doing. I hope all of their FIRE dreams have come true.
I always have this same thought - hoping they've just logged off because personal finance is no longer really a regular thought, it's all on autopilot, etc. I feel like I'll likely stick around for the same reason as I enjoy MMM's youtube tutorials; the forums boast a resourceful bunch of intelligent people interested in a good solution from first principles instead of the easiest one using money, a hard subculture to find elsewhere.

Mighty Eyebrows

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2022, 11:55:47 PM »
What I find most interesting is the underlying rationale of "you're worth it" (with the it being the expensive bag, massage, etc).   To me, this is a red herring argument.   

We're not saying that *you're* not worth *it*; we're saying that *it*'s not worth *you* (eg., the bag's not worth your limited life energy you have to trade for it).

While we are necroposting, I wanted to quote this awesome post from years ago. Very nicely said!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2022, 08:47:43 AM »
I was disappointed that I couldn't read the og blog post that everyone was dumping on
Mustachian People Problem.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »
I was disappointed that I couldn't read the og blog post that everyone was dumping on

Same. Oh well.

The Q I have is, were there sponsored links to all these investments?

From what I read in the comments, she was calling massages an investment. Personal training is good for you and pays off as you go, so maybe that's her experience.

By this definition, getting flowers for your wife is an investment, and so is eating at a restaurant alone.

I'm perplexed by "flying first class," but I've generally fit well into spaces, so don't know if there's lasting discomfort for someone larger. If you're flying for work, are in pain from your accommodations, and it costs you, then maybe that's what she meant?

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2022, 08:06:27 AM »

Same. Oh well.

The Q I have is, were there sponsored links to all these investments?

From what I read in the comments, she was calling massages an investment. Personal training is good for you and pays off as you go, so maybe that's her experience.

By this definition, getting flowers for your wife is an investment, and so is eating at a restaurant alone.

I'm perplexed by "flying first class," but I've generally fit well into spaces, so don't know if there's lasting discomfort for someone larger. If you're flying for work, are in pain from your accommodations, and it costs you, then maybe that's what she meant?

Assuming it was international first class then it's just spendy luxury. Business class and even some Premium Economy seats are more than enough for comfort unless you're a sumo wrestler (I've met a couple and they do indeed fly first class on long flights). I'm tall with broad shoulders and back problems so 7 hours is about my limit in economy. Beyond that and I'm flying in a better seat or not going.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2022, 08:43:49 AM »
I always have this same thought - hoping they've just logged off because personal finance is no longer really a regular thought, it's all on autopilot, etc. I feel like I'll likely stick around for the same reason as I enjoy MMM's youtube tutorials; the forums boast a resourceful bunch of intelligent people interested in a good solution from first principles instead of the easiest one using money, a hard subculture to find elsewhere.
I missed this response. This is so true! Maybe that's why I'm still here and still engaged nearly a decade later. Hopefully I've been helpful to others along the way, because this place sure has been life-changingly good to me.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2022, 10:30:56 AM »
I missed this response. This is so true! Maybe that's why I'm still here and still engaged nearly a decade later. Hopefully I've been helpful to others along the way, because this place sure has been life-changingly good to me.
Me too!

JimDogRock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »

Here it is thanks to the Wayback Machine -
https://web.archive.org/web/20181013064650/http://stephaniesynclair.com/8-investments-that-changed-me-as-a-woman/

Here's the quick list -
1. Investing in quality lingerie
2. Investing in weekly flower delivery
3. Investing in International Travel
4. Investing in flying First Class
5. Investing in a quality wardrobe
6. Investing in a Private Chef
7. Investing in 2x per week massages
8. Investing in coaching, mentorship and masterminds

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2022, 08:57:49 AM »

Here it is thanks to the Wayback Machine -
https://web.archive.org/web/20181013064650/http://stephaniesynclair.com/8-investments-that-changed-me-as-a-woman/

Here's the quick list -
1. Investing in quality lingerie
2. Investing in weekly flower delivery
3. Investing in International Travel
4. Investing in flying First Class
5. Investing in a quality wardrobe
6. Investing in a Private Chef
7. Investing in 2x per week massages
8. Investing in coaching, mentorship and masterminds

Add:
9. Investing in a larger oven strictly for burning cash.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
Buying good quality clothing that fits well and will last is smart, the key is to figure out how to pay less for it.

The rest of it....yeah.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »
Buying good quality clothing that fits well and will last is smart, the key is to figure out how to pay less for it.

The rest of it....yeah.

#7 might make sense if she has major health issues helped by massage, but otherwise . . . .

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »

The rest of it....yeah.

I have been somewhat converted over to buying good quality clothing when it comes to outdoor wear.  These days, living an outdoor-centric lifestyle, that's the majority of the clothing that I purchase.  Having the nicer clothing allows me to continue my outdoor lifestyle through the shoulder seasons and winter.  It also allows me to continue using my e-bike as my primary mode of transport year-round. 

I tried to get by on cheap outdoor wear for the first year or so of bike commuting.  That clothing failed me as soon as it was truly tested.  The good stuff has been performing up to snuff.  As a result, when I need something I now opt for quality, but look to get it used or otherwise at a steep discount.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2022, 09:29:09 PM »
Me too!
And I'm especially glad the both of you are around! Never hurts to have a few extra sensible aunties & uncles to learn from.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2022, 10:02:33 PM »
Me too!
And I'm especially glad the both of you are around! Never hurts to have a few extra sensible aunties & uncles to learn from.
You can always find us hanging out at the DPOYM Clubhouse.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/dont-payoff-your-mortgage-club/

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2022, 11:54:19 PM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/dont-payoff-your-mortgage-club/
One of my favorite threads. Kinda wish I’d found it before I paid off my student loans, although those were a much higher interest rate. I’m surprised to still see people evincing resistance to the idea with rates where they are now!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2022, 01:16:24 AM »

One of my favorite threads. Kinda wish I’d found it before I paid off my student loans, although those were a much higher interest rate. I’m surprised to still see people evincing resistance to the idea with rates where they are now!
I'm pleased the thread is more than 60 pages long now. No one can say they weren't given the opportunity to learnj.