Author Topic: Thinking of giving up brunch? You might as well sell your kidney.  (Read 8548 times)

druth

• Bristles
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tahliapritchard/so-blessed-to-have-my-down-payment-ready?bffbmain&ref=bffbmain&utm_term=.vk2DD9jVm#.giyQQDk1V

Other things that are equivalent to brunch/9$ juice/artisan donuts include health care and bus passes.  Also, small savings have never added up to a house, or anything else useful.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Thinking of giving up brunch? You might as well sell your kidney.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:26:30 PM »
This article confused me. Perhaps I should find an in-network doctor to check my sarcasm...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
I'm clearly a horrible millenial. I've never heard of most of those things in that article.

But I do spend my money on healthcare.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:21 AM »
I've heard of a few of the things, and definitely know people who get brunch all the damn time.  Light brown thick paper menus with cool fonts seems to increase the price of toast about 500%.  Drinking out of jars is another premium they love paying for.

As for the weird popcorn and $30 doughnuts, I've never heard of those things.  I do know people who order cookies for delivery regularly, and get high end mac and cheese. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
Millenial here, apparently I'm doing it wrong because I own a home and have only been to brunch once in the past 5 years. Spend like $20 for a meat waffle and coffee (the waffle was amazing I'll admit). Having had to wait 45 minutes for a table and the high bill was definitely not worth it and made me wonder WTF is so special about brunch. In general, I don't even like eating out as me and my friends can cook way better meals on our own.

I know of a few places that offer $3+ donuts that I'm sure are exceptional, but as someone that doesn't like donuts all that much (did have a period a few months ago where I constantly craved them and just went to a place that had traditional ones for under a buck a piece), I can't say whether their price is justified or not.

The last time I spent money on coffee was meeting someone for a first date, other than using a coffee place as a casual place to meet people, I can't imagine spending money there. It helps that I'm not a coffee person but it boggles my mind at seeing how many people spend $2+ daily when they can make it at home. Many of the people I know that consume Starbucks-esque coffee daily have fancy beans at home and simply don't/won't make a cup to take with them on the way to work. I guess it's just become so ingrained on people. A friend that manages a Caribou tells me that he has a ton of regulars that he knows to have stuff premade for them to pickup on their way to work each morning....I guess he's doing his job right.

As for Uber, I've only used it a handful of times and they were when I was visiting my cousin. He has a car, just thought that driving to a place and finding parking wasn't worth the hassle. One of the times we were returning to his place and it was about .75 miles away and he ordered an Uber. There was also a lightrail a block away that had a stop outside his apartment. Oh well, he paid. A guy at my gym was shocked that I don't use Uber and I sheepishly said that I lived in the suburbs. He nodded knowingly and said that he lives in downtown.

As for gym, yes this is an indulgence on my part. I go to a martial arts gym so it costs way more than LA Fitness, but I believe I get good value out of it. Plus it helps encourage me away from happy hour or eating out during the week as I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. So in other words, my cost per class is likely less than most people that have gym memberships (as most barely use theirs). The cost of my gym has factored the fact that they expect everyone to come consistently. I've heard a coach hint to someone that barely shows up to just pay by the class rather than paying a monthly fee (even though it likely will cost the gym some revenue).

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
Here is the original article, by demographer Bernard Salt, which has caused all the butt hurt:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/moralisers-we-need-you/news-story/6bdb24f77572be68330bd306c14ee8a3

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »
Wow, my sarcasm meter has redlined.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
Wow, my sarcasm meter has redlined.

Yes, the author did seem to go a bit overboard, didn't they?

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »
I was very indiegnantly "that's not me!" until they got to the sparkling water. I'm addicted to seltzer... sigh.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
I was very indiegnantly "that's not me!" until they got to the sparkling water. I'm addicted to seltzer... sigh.

It happens. I've heard that some people really enjoy SodaStream, though as I've not used it I don't know if it is cost-effective.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Well, ya know, it is an experience to walk down a street lined with shops while eating a $7 PB&J.

Yeah, that's right. The boomers bought things and we're buying experiences. Like brunch.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »

It happens. I've heard that some people really enjoy SodaStream, though as I've not used it I don't know if it is cost-effective.

The Frugalwoods hacked theirs a couple of years ago so it could be hooked up to a regular CO2 tank instead of the SodaStream cartridges. 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »

The Frugalwoods hacked theirs a couple of years ago so it could be hooked up to a regular CO2 tank instead of the SodaStream cartridges.

This sounds like a fun engineering project to pass off to the husband :)

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
Guilty about seltzer water... and I really like that mug!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
What's this new fancypants brunch bullshit fad all about anyway?!  [Queue grumpy, old man voice here.]   In my day we used to just wakeup weekends on somebody's floor and stumble our way to a Denny's if we were starving.  If anyone actually called it brunch (rather than hangover food) they would have been retorted by a, "'Brunch'? Well la-tee-da your royal highness!"  Plus, that main picture of cilantro, feta, avocado, and seeds on toast looks like the shittest brunch ever.  I'd cry if somebody gave me that over waffles, Texas toast, bacon, syrup, and coffee.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:21:03 PM by Kaspian »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »
I just recently learned from a Billfold article about this thing called smashed avocado on toast for brunch.  Apparently, in some fancy places this is a thing that goes for $22 a plate.

I made it for my husband and I this weekend using a $.75 avocado, a smattering of feta, and some delicious multigrain bread.  Awesome?  Yes?  Worth $22? Nope! 

Oh, and I got to eat mine in flannel pajamas.  Suck it, brunch goers!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »
A couple of friends came from VA and met me in Charleston a year or so ago. We went out for brunch. We split a pitcher of mimosas, the weather and Folly Beach were gorgeous, and it was boatloads of fun. We also stayed in a rat's nest of a motel, snacked on frozen burritos and apples to offset food costs, and had a blast at the Gin Joint. That was the first and only time I've been to brunch. Might do it again if they come down again.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »
Well, ya know, it is an experience to walk down a street lined with shops while eating a $7 PB&J.

Yeah, that's right. The boomers bought things and we're buying experiences. Like brunch.

Are you saying my trip to Iceland is not empirically better than a new car? How could this be!

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
I'm clearly a horrible millenial. I've never heard of most of those things in that article.

But I do spend my money on healthcare.

You've probably not heard of most of those things because the writer is based in Australia. I haven't heard of them either.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »
I just recently learned from a Billfold article about this thing called smashed avocado on toast for brunch.  Apparently, in some fancy places this is a thing that goes for $22 a plate.

I made it for my husband and I this weekend using a $.75 avocado, a smattering of feta, and some delicious multigrain bread.  Awesome?  Yes?  Worth $22? Nope! 

Hell, it looked so good in that pic that I'm thinking about trying it myself. DW and I fracking LOVE avocado.

Now that the weather is nice again here, I really need to get back to hosting brunch for my circle, instead of debating whether to spend the cash or bow out. I've thrown some pretty nice ones in the past... spent $10 or $20 to provide the hot food, and usually had enough leftover desserts and booze to call it a wash. Everyone wins. :)

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »

Hell, it looked so good in that pic that I'm thinking about trying it myself. DW and I fracking LOVE avocado.

Now that the weather is nice again here, I really need to get back to hosting brunch for my circle, instead of debating whether to spend the cash or bow out. I've thrown some pretty nice ones in the past... spent $10 or $20 to provide the hot food, and usually had enough leftover desserts and booze to call it a wash. Everyone wins. :)

I add some pumpkin seeds on top. Omnom.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
I particularly enjoy how Mr. Salt's original, rather tongue-in-cheek, article had its point hilariously missed by the butthurt spendthrifts responsible for the Buzzfeed articles that followed. But, then, it's really important to lash out at invented boogiemen whenever you can, so as to mentally justify spending tons of money on unnecessary luxuries we can't afford!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

Sounds great! I'd save the money and skip the avacado. Totally not worth the extra expense.  They can stay the fuck on the shelf along with those tomatoes.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:47 PM »

Sounds great! I'd save the money and skip the avacado. Totally not worth the extra expense.  They can stay the fuck on the shelf along with those tomatoes.

Sooo... bread and pumpkin seed?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »

Sooo... bread and pumpkin seed?

There was some mention of feta, I believe?

But yeah, probably why no one pays $22 for my brunch...

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »
I agree that telling people in their 20's in Sydney that they could buy a house if only they didn't spend $22 a week on brunch is some special kind bullshit coming from an economist. Especially from someone who most likely bought into the market 30+ years ago and has been riding the series of booms since. It would be more constructive to write an article questioning if buying in such an expensive housing market is a good idea at all and offering other wealth generating ideas as an alternative to giving up on home ownership and spending heavily on lifestyle which seems to be what many are doing.

I won't lie. I go out for brunch on the weekends a fair bit. It is much less expensive than eating out for dinner and doesn't involve alcohol so as a social event to catch up with friends, not too expensive at all. I've never spent $22 on avocado on toast however.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 12:07:04 AM »
My favorite grocery store has avocados 2/$1 this week. I'm guessing they won't be difficult to smash.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
Don't you need an expensive powertool to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErppAlOIGQE

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
#12: you all caught us. we do this so we can take selfies in our glasses and see each other as we pass each other. it's probably also why we think that mirrored furniture is glam.
actually, my foster fam told me it was a 'young ppl thing' and 'just wait till u have kids' and something something 'fingerprints'

(but really, this is as much tongue in cheek as the original article)

Stash Potato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!