Author Topic: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!  (Read 37462 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
A lovesac. Basically a $1,000 bean bag chair. You don't understand until you've experienced it.

This brings back memories. I had a memory foam bean bag type chair in college that I absolutely loved.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2016, 12:44:28 PM »
Doesn't it suck when your possessions seem to possess you?
At the risk of sounding religious... Hallelujah!

Even well thought out intentions / calculations when making a purchase can turnaround and bite you with unforeseen consequences.

The initial 'idea' of the super espresso maker was, of course, marvelous.  The reality is that its just OK after having it for a year.  I suspect that in the future, WHEN something breaks rendering it useless and cost prohibitive to fix,  that the entire idea will just become absolutely stupid.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
Doesn't it suck when your possessions seem to possess you?
At the risk of sounding religious... Hallelujah!

Even well thought out intentions / calculations when making a purchase can turnaround and bite you with unforeseen consequences.

The initial 'idea' of the super espresso maker was, of course, marvelous.  The reality is that its just OK after having it for a year.  I suspect that in the future, WHEN something breaks rendering it useless and cost prohibitive to fix,  that the entire idea will just become absolutely stupid.

Yeah, a friend of mine "won" an espresso machine. I believe it's a net loss for her as the pods required for it aren't cheap (it took some doing on my part to convince her she didn't need to buy the pods directly from the company), but since she has this "free" machine, she's going to use it whereas before she was perfectly ok with drip.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
We just returned from seeing one of these at DragonCon and had to spend the drive home talking ourselves out of buying one because it is expensive, needless because we have a place to game, and impractical because we don't have a place to put it. And yet...

http://geek-chic-hq.myshopify.com/products/vizier-deposit

Completely off topic - Metta - I was at 2015's DragonCon, didn't go this year, but already have my tickets and hotel for 2017. Love DragonCon!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Thought I'd revive this thread, as Christmas is coming and the ads are incessant.

I have absolutely no rationale for wanting this, but for the last 20 years or so I've been coveting a Longchamp Pliage large tote bag.  $200 Canadian these days.  I'd be too afraid to use it.  http://ca.longchamp.com/en/handbags/le-pliage/large-tote-bag-1899089

Back in the good old days when duty-free used to offer up some incredible deals, I bought DH a couple of Longchamp leather belts.  He wears them a lot and they still look as good as the day they were purchased.  So, it's a quality brand but ... sheesh.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
Thought I'd revive this thread, as Christmas is coming and the ads are incessant.

I have absolutely no rationale for wanting this, but for the last 20 years or so I've been coveting a Longchamp Pliage large tote bag.  $200 Canadian these days.  I'd be too afraid to use it.  http://ca.longchamp.com/en/handbags/le-pliage/large-tote-bag-1899089

Back in the good old days when duty-free used to offer up some incredible deals, I bought DH a couple of Longchamp leather belts.  He wears them a lot and they still look as good as the day they were purchased.  So, it's a quality brand but ... sheesh.
Before Pete invented a little thing called MMM, I used to have a thing for their Le Foulonne leather backpacks. I had at least four of them, plus a wallet, all bought at discount, but still a shit load of money. Every one of them wore through on the back where the lower end of the strap attaches. In my working days, I liked using a backpack, as it kept my hands free to schlep samples. I see that the current Le Foulonne backpacks retail for $545.00. Yikes! Now that I'm retired, I only carry a small wallet on a shoulder strap kind of thing. I'd forgotten all about those Longchamps bags. Thanks for the reminder.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2016, 12:47:54 AM »
I want my knees and boobs underwater at the same time.

And one of these

and a roomba.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »

Before Pete invented a little thing called MMM, I used to have a thing for their Le Foulonne leather backpacks. I had at least four of them, plus a wallet, all bought at discount, but still a shit load of money. Every one of them wore through on the back where the lower end of the strap attaches. In my working days, I liked using a backpack, as it kept my hands free to schlep samples. I see that the current Le Foulonne backpacks retail for $545.00. Yikes! Now that I'm retired, I only carry a small wallet on a shoulder strap kind of thing. I'd forgotten all about those Longchamps bags. Thanks for the reminder.

Holy poop!  That's a sad story, and I'm surprised at the tale of bad quality, though I only have the belts as reference, and the wear on those is minimal - the buckles don't even make a mark.  Maybe there was a design flaw?

I want my knees and boobs underwater at the same time.

LOL re. knees and boobs! And, is that a death star?  Reminds me of one of my favourite Eddie Izzard skits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:12 AM »
Ha Snacky - now I want to play with my legos in the tub, like an adult!

Everytime I see the Death Star, I think of the Robot Chicken skit:

You have a collect call from: Darth Vader

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:45 AM »
We just returned from seeing one of these at DragonCon and had to spend the drive home talking ourselves out of buying one because it is expensive, needless because we have a place to game, and impractical because we don't have a place to put it. And yet...

http://geek-chic-hq.myshopify.com/products/vizier-deposit

You're not alone.  The husband and I tried to talk ourselves into ordering one at PAX a few years ago.  I've hosted probably 50 games nights since then and I still don't think I could justify it.  But ugh... so pretty.

We bought one of the entry level models back a few years ago.  Love the table, it's in use pretty much all the time.  If there's not a gaming thing going on, we've got a large jigsaw puzzle in progress.  Not terribly mustachian, but hey, we already own it so we'll keep using it.  :-)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »
I want this 3D printer for pancakes. It doesn't even make truly 3D pancakes, just cool 2D ones. It is utterly ridiculous and I want it.

The reviews take the product seriously too!  one was like "its cool but takes to long and my kids prefer fast normal pancakes so basically I wasted my money on this."  No shit, a 400$ pancake drawer-bot was a waste of money :-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
I want this 3D printer for pancakes. It doesn't even make truly 3D pancakes, just cool 2D ones. It is utterly ridiculous and I want it.

How about just a squeeze bottle and drawing image projector so you can trace it (freehand)?

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »

How about just a squeeze bottle and drawing image projector so you can trace it (freehand)?

I'm too lazy to do that. Which makes the printer even more ridiculous.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
A lovesac. Basically a $1,000 bean bag chair. You don't understand until you've experienced it.

This brings back memories. I had a memory foam bean bag type chair in college that I absolutely loved.

An awful lot of us have love sacks firmly attached already as OEM equipment.

bonkers40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »

and a roomba.

I bought my wife a Roomba a couple years ago for Christmas, and when people come over and ask about it she always says its the best Christmas present she's ever gotten. We love that stupid little robot. I have two cats and I have the Roomba do its thing everyday while we're at work and everyday it almost fills its dirty bin. keeps the house so much cleaner. When it eventually wears out or breaks (which should be a long time since most of the parts are replaceable) I will not hesitate to buy another.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »
Unicorn meat.  At least, I thought I wanted that, until I saw the ad for Magical Unicorn Poop further down.

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/canned-unicorn-meat/

Canned air from around the world looks pretty good too.  I hear you can chew the air in Paris these days, so a can of that might be interesting.

For the people on your x-mas list who are so hard to buy for, of course.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2016, 07:34:46 AM »

How does one make a 2D pancake? That seems unbelievable to me.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »

This would truly make a short stack.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »
A Jaguar like "Inspector Morse" drives. That, and a 1955 Chevy Bel Air in white and aqua.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »

This would truly make a short stack.

Good for diets though.  It looks like a pancake, but the volume approaches zero.  You can eat as many as you want!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »

An awful lot of us have love sacks firmly attached already as OEM equipment.

: )
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:51:13 PM by Shinplaster »

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »
I have to admit that I love(d) Ulta. It's a little  store that sells makeup, fragrances, bath and body supplies etc. While I suppose makeup can play into the mindset of frugal gals, I was out of control. I would go and just loved shopping there, oh a free gift when you by $40? I'll put some more non-needed things up there on the counter then... Ugh. I've just had to stop going. I haven't been since March of 16 and still look the same, still wash my hair with cheap shampoo and still smell okay.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2016, 06:36:35 AM »

I was using the term 2D loosely, it's a normal pancake and not, say, a small statue made of pancakes without human assembly required.

Oh my... I wonder what I would do if I loved pancakes enough to make statues out of them...

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
I've never understand why people buy electric meat slicers.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
 Well I think they make sense if they are used. My tenant/roommate has one. He retired at year's end but prior to that he would bake hams all the time and slice them himself for his weekly meals. I think he got plenty of use out of it over the years to justify its upfront cost.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »
??? I was thinking we were talking about a 35$ electric knife, but google tells me "electric meat slicers" are actually the big mounted circular saws contraptions behind the deli counter.  It seems rather excessive in all respects for home use but if someone uses it...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
A grade school friend of mine had one in their kitchen.  They had 9 kids and bought all their meat in giant tubes or carcasses. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
A grade school friend of mine had one in their kitchen.  They had 9 kids and bought all their meat in giant tubes or carcasses.

Also, if one of the kids gets out of line you don't need to purchase a new carcass for the month.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
I got a meat slicer as a gift, and it came in handy.  But it broke.  I would love to have another, but only if someone were to gift it to me.  They are great for hams and slicing beef for the dehydrator.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
I want one of those air fryers and an Instant Pot.  I have a perfectly good Crock Pot. I can fry things just fine though disposing of the oil is always a pain.  I live in an apartment with virtually no counter space but I want those two items.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
I really want a Thermomix/Bimby.

And a Roomba.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
I want an Instant Pot.

I bought one for my wife last year, and all she's done with it so far is take the wrapping paper off the box. I'm going to wrap it again and put it back under the tree this year :)

She really wanted it, but then saw some YouTube video where someone misused it and caused a food explosion in their kitchen. I think she's been afraid to try it since.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »
A friend gave me an air fryer for Christmas last year.  I thought "oooh, cool!"  But after 3 or 4 times using it, the novelty wore off and it is a rarely used item.  By GF at the time said that she wanted one, so I told her to borrow mine for a while first.  She brought it back after a few weeks and said it was not worth the money and loss of counter space.  My friend who gave it to me absolutely loves his.

See if you can borrow one before plunking down your money. 

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »

We "inherited" one of the extra large ones from DH's dad when he moved in, I'm awaiting spinal surgery, which means I'm pretty much useless most of the day, can't sit, can't stand, that stupid thing has been a LIFESAVER.  I can lay on it for a half hour, then do 20 minutes of "work" (think laundry or cooking or just plain going to the bathroom) them lay on it again.  It's literally keeping me from staying in bed almost full time.  I would NEVER have spent a grand on it but it's useful.