Author Topic: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!  (Read 37458 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
I want one of those endless swim pools that is slightly longer than your outstretched body. They generate a current that you swim against. I live in New England.

Just like this

endlesspools.com

only in my basement, next to the washing machine.

The way I flail in a pool (b/c I'm anything but graceful) I'd be stubbing my toes on the end multiple times every time I tried to go for a swim.... j/k

Mr Dumpster Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
Office supplies. I am a total sucker for desk organizers, daily planners, pen holders, sticky notes, highlighters, etc.

And don't let me anywhere near the big computer desks...

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »
Really, really nice diamond jewelry.  I visit www.bluenile.come a few times a week.  Have purchased from them several times. Have referred a few brothers to their site for "nice" gifts for the wife.  I'm oogling another ring.  Husband says "get it if you want it."  Can't pull the trigger.  (yes, we can afford it).  Figure they will be nice pieces to inherit some day for the younger girls in the family - but I'm specifying who gets what to avoid any arguments! 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
I wanted a 'nice' winter coat. It's Spring here so I won't really get to use it for another 6 months :)

Happily I actually gave into this want...

Retailed for $500 but was on sale and I scored it for $125.

Didn't mind eating the cost (ok... just feel a little green about it). But feel better that I get to walk around in a $500 coat today.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
A nice IFR capable high performance airplane.  If we're dreaming, give me a landing strip out back to go with it.

Nope.  But I would love a restored Champ or Chief with a C85.  Or a Kolb MKIII.  Even if I had unlimited funds, a Carbon Cub is about as high performance as I want. 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »

Fiori di Sicilia and a professional Belgian waffle maker are at the top of the list right now.

I'd like rowing machine and a terrain programmable treadmill. The one at work, it has a terrain setting where you can walk/run on trails through national parks on constantly changing incline.

I'd like a 22ft sailboat.

I'd like a two week cruise around Japan.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
I really want a SoloShot.  I will probably end up getting one eventually so I can get video of myself riding for training purposes.  But I want it now, and my horse isn't even broke to ride yet.  Hopefully I can buy a used one next summer.

I've never seen one of those Bronco 7.3 diesel thingies, but now I want to trade my truck for one of those.

Laurenji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
There are so many weird things I would love to buy. A 3D printer, a spinning wheel, one of these keyboards.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
Boosted Board2

Want so bad.

I'm moving to a new city... seriously going to scope it out and see if one of these would make sense.

Me too. I lust after these daily. If you live in a dense city and need to commute through tight urban areas I think they make a ton of sense.

Sadly I live 4km from work, 1 block from dedicated bike paths that take me straight to work, so the board would just be a toy.

I am seriously thinking of pursuing a stupider housing situation purely to justify getting one.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2016, 06:58:32 AM »
A professional-grade espresso machine and grinder with a plumbed-in install in my kitchen.

But. I one needs a 10-15k espresso machine

I'll settle for waiting till my debt is paid off and then doing a used Gaggia or Rancilio setup with a refurb  grinder. That, or go ahead with my wholesale coffee roaster/retail storefront idea at some point

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »
There are so many weird things I would love to buy. A 3D printer, a spinning wheel, one of these keyboards.
Nothing weird about wanting/owning a spinning wheel.  In my circles we own anything from one to four.  Along with spindles, hand cards, drum carders, blending boards, and various looms.  You are just hanging out with the wrong crowd if this seems weird.  ;-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »
I don't know why this is so appealing to me.  I can't even imagine where I would use it.  But I still want to buy it, even if I give it to someone as a gift. 

http://www.fatboyusa.com/us/lamzac

Don't worry, I won't do it, but I can't figure out what it is about the product or the marketing that makes me want to purchase it. 

Are there items out there that you want to buy but don't really know why?
Snagshout has had these for like 90% discount a few times

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 09:26:28 AM »
A professional-grade espresso machine and grinder with a plumbed-in install in my kitchen.

Except that takes up too much space.  Have it also rise on hydraulics from the floor and disappear when not in use.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
I would love to get rain barrels and a water treatment system and let God provide me with all my water needs, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do that when town water is so much cheaper. Maybe when I FIRE to the desert, though.
Not to mention the town water is sent to an accredited lab on a regular basis for testing. I'd stick with city water for potable, but for non-potable uses (flushing toilets, watering garden, etc) a simple strainer and an ozone generator or UV lamp should do the trick.

I've had my eye on a 144hz low latency computer monitor for anywhere between 400-800$ for the last 4 years but haven't pulled the trigger cause my 19 inch decade old monitor still works just fine.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 11:30:27 AM »

Not to mention the town water is sent to an accredited lab on a regular basis for testing.

YMV due to multiple factors. Sadly politics is one such factor....

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »
I found a pair of Ray Bans hanging on the chain-link fence at the tennis court. I wore them for a few months until I lost them myself. Now I have a really annoying desire for expensive sunglasses. Def a want, not a need.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
A Ducati motorcycle. Had one. Sold it. Miss it. Want another. Won't buy one.

Definitely, 100%, absolutely, no-question, most-assuredly sure about that? If you're handy with a wrench, I could make you quite a deal on a Multistrada. (Sorry if I violated some no soliciting rule.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:28:24 PM by eljefe-speaks »

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
I want one of those endless swim pools that is slightly longer than your outstretched body. They generate a current that you swim against. I live in New England.

Just like this

endlesspools.com

My friend is getting one of these for her basement (currently building her dream house).  She and her husband are both doctors and I generally SMH at their spending habits, but I am legit jealous of this pool. 

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this counts or not, but my SO (paleontology geek) tends to drool over these:

I've been informed that in the event that we ever win the lottery they are going to be getting a full skeleton and a PhD in paleontology.

There are a bunch of free sites you can quarry trilobites out of in West Virginia, state owned lands that allow collecting.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
I found a pair of Ray Bans hanging on the chain-link fence at the tennis court. I wore them for a few months until I lost them myself. Now I have a really annoying desire for expensive sunglasses. Def a want, not a need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7X33U2zjI

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »

Except that takes up too much space.  Have it also rise on hydraulics from the floor and disappear when not in use.
Well, I have a pro grade machine and grinder...just not the plumbed in kind. 

Eat your heart out perusing these guys.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/

Single group machines, even at the full on commercial grade, are far less expensive than 10-15k. 

A good quality commercial grade but "made for home" (e.g. not plumbed, uses 120v / 15amp, not 220v) single group machine will only just break into the 4 figure range at the lower end*.  You'll get the full size group heads, double boilers for brewing and steaming simultaneously, etc.

Mine only takes about 2 feet of counter space.....and gets used every morning.

Yes, it IS an indulgence, but one I did many years ago (paid cash) before really going full on MMM / ERE. 

* - at least when I got it some years back.  Prices have probably changed a lot since then, but I haven't kept track since I have one already, with no foreseeable reason to replace it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 05:45:25 PM »

Well, I have a pro grade machine and grinder...just not the plumbed in kind. 

Eat your heart out perusing these guys.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/

Single group machines, even at the full on commercial grade, are far less expensive than 10-15k. 

A good quality commercial grade but "made for home" (e.g. not plumbed, uses 120v / 15amp, not 220v) single group machine will only just break into the 4 figure range at the lower end*.  You'll get the full size group heads, double boilers for brewing and steaming simultaneously, etc.

Mine only takes about 2 feet of counter space.....and gets used every morning.

Yes, it IS an indulgence, but one I did many years ago (paid cash) before really going full on MMM / ERE. 

* - at least when I got it some years back.  Prices have probably changed a lot since then, but I haven't kept track since I have one already, with no foreseeable reason to replace it.

I LOL'ed at "only 2 feet of counter space" and "4 figure range at the lower end".  Don't get me wrong, I love my coffee.  But it's still just coffee.  (I am sure I have my own personal gazingus pin that would make you LOL.  I'm not trying to pick on you.)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »

Just like this

endlesspools.com

My friend is getting one of these for her basement (currently building her dream house).  She and her husband are both doctors and I generally SMH at their spending habits, but I am legit jealous of this pool.

Ohhhh. I am so jealous. At one point I actually spent time thinking about how one could rent it out per swim hour to offset the cost. 

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7X33U2zjI

Ah! I should be spending more time looking in rivers, less time at the tennis court apparently.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
BUY ALL THE CLIMBING/SURFING/BOARDING/CAMPING GEAR!!!!!!

Oh, and a van... suped up for traveling.

Then, I would become a traveling, writing, sportsing bum. Glory.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
I LOL'ed at "only 2 feet of counter space" and "4 figure range at the lower end".  Don't get me wrong, I love my coffee.  But it's still just coffee.  (I am sure I have my own personal gazingus pin that would make you LOL.  I'm not trying to pick on you.)
Yeah....as noted, this was a pre-full-on ERE / MMM purchase.  But....I have to say, I'm glad I have it. 

And I have to say that there is no substitute for full crema laden espresso shots in the morning latte.

I doubt if I'd replicate the purchase today though.

FYI - I hadn't heard of "gazingus pin" was and had to look it up.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »

Just like this

endlesspools.com

Ohhhh. I am so jealous. At one point I actually spent time thinking about how one could rent it out per swim hour to offset the cost.
I love swimming but hated the endless pool... YMMV

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »

Just like this

endlesspools.com

I love swimming but hated the endless pool... YMMV

I've never tried one. I can definitely see the appeal, but to me it just looks like a treadmill but for swimming...and I can't stand treadmills (though being in MN, I will use them when weather necessitates).

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2016, 04:46:03 PM »
Honda Ridgeline.
Don't need it at all.  Can't stop thinking about how great it would be.  My 16 year old car has 160k miles on it and runs fine.  Cheap to own and maintain.   
But oh, that silly truck looks like fun.....

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »
I don't know why this is so appealing to me.  I can't even imagine where I would use it.  But I still want to buy it, even if I give it to someone as a gift. 

http://www.fatboyusa.com/us/lamzac

Don't worry, I won't do it, but I can't figure out what it is about the product or the marketing that makes me want to purchase it. 

Are there items out there that you want to buy but don't really know why?

It is funny that I just saw these (or a knockoff) at WalMart this morning and couldn't figure out what they were for a minute.  They are $39 here (Phoenix area).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
I am fairly sure that I would already have this http://imgur.com/topic/Awesome/7Ret0 if it were not to big to fit on the shelf.   

But dont feel to bad for me this one is right behind me :-)   

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »
Haha, that's awesome my 5yr old some would LOVE that!

I honestly have so may "toys" I don't really care much to own much of anything.  Don't care about fancy house/cars/clothes/phones/etc.

What I do care about is 'time'.  Ok I do have a "soft spot" for Camping (canoeing) and Tennis equipment, lol.

Nemesis.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zazzle site
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2016, 08:09:23 PM »
I have a thing for glassware. Martini glasses, margarita glasses, champagne flutes. I don't entertain much and really don't need them but i see some that are so pretty i want them.
I resist though.

Oh, and a toyota tundra with really cool wheels.
I have no need for one but I used to have a tacoma and loved it when lived somewhere i actually needed 4 wheel drive.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
I have a thing for glassware. Martini glasses, margarita glasses, champagne flutes. I don't entertain much and really don't need them but i see some that are so pretty i want them.
I resist though.

Check out local thrift stores - unbelievable prices on so many of these things - some new, some older, all unique! 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
I resist though.

Check out local thrift stores - unbelievable prices on so many of these things - some new, some older, all unique!

And estate sales!  Dead people don't drink much. What doesn't sell at the estate sales actually is what ends up at the thrift stores.  In other words, estate sales have slightly higher price and nicer selection, thrift stores are cheap with what got picked over.  There's good stuff in both places, you may just have to pick through and do multiple trips to find what you want.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
Boosted Board2

Want so bad.

I'm moving to a new city... seriously going to scope it out and see if one of these would make sense.

Me too. I lust after these daily. If you live in a dense city and need to commute through tight urban areas I think they make a ton of sense.

Sadly I live 4km from work, 1 block from dedicated bike paths that take me straight to work, so the board would just be a toy.

I am seriously thinking of pursuing a stupider housing situation purely to justify getting one.

What is the range on those things? Can you run a second battery pack on top between your feet?

I know someone with a Hoverboard and it'll do 4 KM I'm pretty sure. Just store it in a steel box for fire protection. j/k
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:47:39 PM by Joe Lucky »

Nemesis.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zazzle site
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
I resist though.

I go for the really fun stuff so it's all been from thrift stores or garage sales. I just don't really need any of it is the problem.
And estate sales!  Dead people don't drink much. What doesn't sell at the estate sales actually is what ends up at the thrift stores.  In other words, estate sales have slightly higher price and nicer selection, thrift stores are cheap with what got picked over.  There's good stuff in both places, you may just have to pick through and do multiple trips to find what you want.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
Boosted Board2

Want so bad.

What is the range on those things? Can you run a second battery pack on top between your feet?

I know someone with a Hoverboard and it'll do 4 KM I'm pretty sure. Just store it in a steel box for fire protection. j/k

I've read that they get between 8 and 15km in real world usage depending on the type you buy and hooliganism. The Boosted is the only board I'm aware of with removable batteries so you could carry an extra.

I have my eye on a Backfire board as they're considerably cheaper in Canada and supposedly have a 20km range.

They're more expensive than a balance board but it's a huge perk that they won't kill you with cracked skulls and fire.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:37 AM »
A Surly Pugsley. Every time I see one, I can imagine how much fun it would be in snow. However,   We don't have the room to store it, and there's a  line of bikes I already own waiting for repairs.

Chiming in on the Vitamix-  I love mine. My base  for a ton of recipes is blended tomatoes, onions, and summer squash, and it purees the mix into oblivion. My husband can't tell that he just ate a vegetable!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
A Surly Pugsley. Every time I see one, I can imagine how much fun it would be in snow. However,   We don't have the room to store it, and there's a  line of bikes I already own waiting for repairs.

Chiming in on the Vitamix-  I love mine. My base  for a ton of recipes is blended tomatoes, onions, and summer squash, and it purees the mix into oblivion. My husband can't tell that he just ate a vegetable!

A couple bike shops in my town rent them. I keep meaning to do it on a day with fresh snow. I think I'm afraid I'll like it too much and want to buy one :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »
Fat tire touring bicycle. I could get by with my Long Haul Trucker, but I really want a Pugsley!

I'd think that the heavy tires would make for a terrible touring bike, unless you're planning to roll across the Sahara or something.

Brokenreign

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
Fat tire touring bicycle. I could get by with my Long Haul Trucker, but I really want a Pugsley!

I'd think that the heavy tires would make for a terrible touring bike, unless you're planning to roll across the Sahara or something.

Mayhaps for bikepacking. Though in my experience a 29+ works better. Less rolling resistance on pavement too.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »
Luxury watches. I'm perfectly aware how wasteful and showy they are, but I can't help liking them. I never bought one and I'll most probably never do it, but man do I like them!
(Crush of the week: a platinum Piaget that retails for about 20k £)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
Luxury watches. I'm perfectly aware how wasteful and showy they are, but I can't help liking them. I never bought one and I'll most probably never do it, but man do I like them!

Fair enough. I do believe that luxury watches do hold their value fairly well so it might not be the worst use of your money (should you decide to purchase any).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »

I'm in this boat too. I can't help coveting a nice 4-figure Rolex or Omega.  They're are one of the few heirloom-quality things a man can buy these days.  But I just don't see a scenario in which I drop that much coin on a watch, ever. 

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
Yeah....as noted, this was a pre-full-on ERE / MMM purchase.  But....I have to say, I'm glad I have it. 

And I have to say that there is no substitute for full crema laden espresso shots in the morning latte.

We've got a similar $550 fancypants Krups we bought off ebay.  It's nice, but its particular about what beans are thrown in it, so its kind of a pain too.

When it dies, it will likely be both the first and last one we own.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »

We've got a similar $550 fancypants Krups we bought off ebay.  It's nice, but its particular about what beans are thrown in it, so its kind of a pain too.

When it dies, it will likely be both the first and last one we own.

Doesn't it suck when your possessions seem to possess you?

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

I'm in this boat too. I can't help coveting a nice 4-figure Rolex or Omega.  They're are one of the few heirloom-quality things a man can buy these days.  But I just don't see a scenario in which I drop that much coin on a watch, ever.

I would do it if I won the lottery for at least 2 millions dollars.
But I don't play the lottery, so my chances are slim...

thecrazydoglady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
A lovesac. Basically a $1,000 bean bag chair. You don't understand until you've experienced it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!