Author Topic: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!  (Read 37459 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!
« on: September 04, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
I don't know why this is so appealing to me.  I can't even imagine where I would use it.  But I still want to buy it, even if I give it to someone as a gift. 

http://www.fatboyusa.com/us/lamzac

Don't worry, I won't do it, but I can't figure out what it is about the product or the marketing that makes me want to purchase it. 

Are there items out there that you want to buy but don't really know why?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Things you want but don't need (in fact, no one needs them, ever)!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
I would love to get rain barrels and a water treatment system and let God provide me with all my water needs, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do that when town water is so much cheaper. Maybe when I FIRE to the desert, though.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
A Vespa.  I have absolutely no need for it: I have feet and a bike that can take me to near places, and a car that can take me to far ones.  I suspect that deep down I feel that owning a Vespa will make me look like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
Dinner plates, cool glasses, or cool mugs. Don't need them, have enough. But I am just attracted to the design of some housewares. I suppose I could buy one plate for display.....

This is me! There are a few housewares I 'need' and many more I don't, but I adore looking at them and touching them and admiring them and whatnot.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:52:18 PM »
I don't know why this is so appealing to me.  I can't even imagine where I would use it.  But I still want to buy it, even if I give it to someone as a gift. 

Don't worry, I won't do it, but I can't figure out what it is about the product or the marketing that makes me want to purchase it. 

Are there items out there that you want to buy but don't really know why?

Oh,  that is so funny,  DH bought 2, (he is not MMM, just a good saver) and we got them early in June and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  We go camping a lot, and have used them to lounge in (easier to bring than a chair lounge).. DS has slept in one instead of a cot, at the beach, under the tent hammock when backpacking (so when it sagged to the ground in the night, no ending up in the dirt), and DS even tried it on the lake  (it worked, but was tippy and took water on between the nylon and inner sleeve).

Purchased through AliExpress directly for about $20 each.

Lasted all summer so far with no sign of wear.   We think it was a very sound purchase.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:37 AM »
I would love to get rain barrels and a water treatment system and let God provide me with all my water needs, but it doesn't make any financial sense to do that when town water is so much cheaper. Maybe when I FIRE to the desert, though.

I ended up getting rain barrels for free from our local FB page. we haven't watered the lawn with sprinklers since getting them! so like $30 worth of parts and a morning to plumb them together and we've been good since. still use town water to drink and cook so this ended us from using treated water for plants and gardens

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
I think this was actually a clever ad for the lazmac. Now I want one too. I think I'll make one out of a bunch of ziplock bags. What could go wrong?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
I kinda want to buy one of these, for all of the geeky data:
https://www.automatic.com/

But it's $100 after a coupon, and it's one of the internet-of-things devices that would be worthless if the company goes under (which I try to avoid)... Truthfully, I never forget where I parked, I already am conscious of how my driving effects my MPG, and I hope to never need the crash detection thingy.

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
I love luggage. I can get lost in luggage departments for hours. I have plenty of good fully functioning cases in various sizes and have no need to buy more. But I always want it.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Ford Centurion Bronco. It's a four door monstrosity. They even had the 7.3 Powerstroke as an option. I've wanted one as a toy for a very long time. I love driving with the windows or the top down. This thing, you can just remove the top! Also, the 3rd row drops down into a bed. It's tempting, but I just can't justify the cost.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
Fine jewelry, fine china & other fancy housewares.
I fully realize less expensive versions of these things work just as well, but I can't help but admire and drool over them.

valsecito

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »

That's funny. 'Lamzac' means almost literally 'lazy arse' in one of my languages :-)

I was grocery shopping today, and I was tempted to buy a set of highlighting text markers for 5.82€. I love studying and marking text on paper. Just felt out of character with my frugal self. First time anything remotely like an urge to buy happens to me in a very very long time. I usually buy just what I think I need.

I might buy one of these again at some point in the future:

I used to own the predecessor model. Used it as my commuter vehicle for some time. 70km one way, rather hardcore. Netted me about 20€ per round trip in tax free cycling commute compensation :-)

I remember my bearded self arriving to the school gate to teach, and a little boy starting to yell all excited "Jesus in his spaceship!". Memories...

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
I remember my bearded self arriving to the school gate to teach, and a little boy starting to yell all excited "Jesus in his spaceship!". Memories...

That's really really funny.

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
My former boss has a Phillipe Patek - I'd never heard of them, but a coworker saw it and did a bit of investigating. Man oh man - is be scared to wear it out! Fortunately, I am not at all interested in having one...so no watch lust or jealousy.
Patek Phillipe. Beautiful watches.

That particular Rolex is actually nothing special (beyond being new and difficult to find).

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »

I love this... and can imagine tons of use on our travels!!! Do you think it will be good for camping as well? Not buying it though (they don't sell in India)!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 10:53:18 PM »
We just returned from seeing one of these at DragonCon and had to spend the drive home talking ourselves out of buying one because it is expensive, needless because we have a place to game, and impractical because we don't have a place to put it. And yet...

http://geek-chic-hq.myshopify.com/products/vizier-deposit

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
Boosted Board2

Want so bad.

I'm moving to a new city... seriously going to scope it out and see if one of these would make sense.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 12:19:41 AM »
We just returned from seeing one of these at DragonCon and had to spend the drive home talking ourselves out of buying one because it is expensive, needless because we have a place to game, and impractical because we don't have a place to put it. And yet...

<snipped picture to save space>

Oh my.. beautiful table. At first I thought that 3500 is the price -- at which I thought, too expensive for my blood, but not unreasonable. Then I read further and saw the 10-16k price O.O...

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
Pretty matching stationery and colour coordinated pencil cups/folders/filing trays etc. I've got plenty of crappy work pens and old notebooks, but still, sigh.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
I'd like a reasonably nice bike instead of my usual $30-$50 Craigslist specials.  Unfortunately, bike theft is a real problem here.  Just last week, a rather average old Trek was stolen from the condo bike room and yes, it was locked - the lock was cut.  And it takes an electronic fob to unlock the door to the bike room.  I've been using a $65 Abus U-lock that cost more than my bike, so I'm fairly immune.  But I do have bike envy from time to time.

Here's a link to something that no one should want or need:  a gold-infused shave for $1000.  One shave.  http://globalnews.ca/news/2907662/montreals-1000-golden-shave/

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »
A Vespa.  I have absolutely no need for it: I have feet and a bike that can take me to near places, and a car that can take me to far ones.  I suspect that deep down I feel that owning a Vespa will make me look like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

Got one. Antique one. It is an absolute hoot to ride. The Harley guys might give you weird looks b/c it doesn't fit into their cultural universe especially if you are male. I lived in Italy for a while and always admired these Vespas. Tough little critters. Wish I had the nerve to own one back then.

I call it my Italian Rubik's Cube b/c learning to work on it is like a puzzle. Everything is easy after you've done it once. The design of this scooter is amazing to me - the ways they made it all fit together and work together.

Let me suggest that you consider what it would cost YOU to maintain. I don't know whether you are a mechanic or have the urge to learn the basic maintenance.

Mine has points/condenser ignition. Carburetor. Several regular maintenance items. Parts are not that expensive but I don't know what shop labor would cost. I just spent a week figuring out how to do some of the adjustments via YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlLtLdXNz0

I speak some Italian so his video works for me. Now notice his engine is up on a bench. My engine is still attached to a scooter and requires me to lay/lean on the floor to see what I'm doing - middle aged eyes and all that. ;)

Everything on the scooter is rebuild-able so it could last literally generations if the rust is kept away which is helped by inside storage.

The modern Vespas are nice. I see them regularly now here. MUCH less maintenance intensive. Fuel injection. Electronic ignition. Few (if any) adjustments. They have a different kind of charm to me.

Also consider: the Lambretta - new or old. Parts are just as easy to come by. PM me for sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLBogthhmjQ

Despite all this for me its the antique scooters. I still recommend them. SO fun. Top speed on mine is roughly 45 mph though the book says 55 mph. Maybe if I weighed 102 lbs and was sized like Audrey Hepburn...

As for the logic of owning one: it isn't much of a money saver in the USA. Insurance is about $11 per month. Fuel economy is supposedly 100 mpg but when fuel costs $2 a gallon who cares? My commute is less than 10 miles so fueling a used car isn't expensive. In an urban environment I suppose it would be easier to park and store a scooter than a car. It wouldn't tolerate year round outside parking well.

I don't look much like Audrey Hepburn riding our Vespa - more like a circus bear taught to ride a scooter.... ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:59:36 AM by Joe Lucky »

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »

You're not alone.  The husband and I tried to talk ourselves into ordering one at PAX a few years ago.  I've hosted probably 50 games nights since then and I still don't think I could justify it.  But ugh... so pretty.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
I just talked myself out of buying a pet hedgehog...I suppose this counts, no?

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
I want a vitamix.  I'm such a sucker for good marketing.  Their blender sounds so piffy but it's $400 and I'd be making $6 pies with it =/

I also want BIFL socks like the darn tough vermont socks.  But I have a whole sock drawer full of past socks to wear out.  Can't see spending $40 for socks until I've actually run out of socks.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional BLUETOOTH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xv88E-oUg

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
For many years, I've wanted a chocolate tempering machine. It's hard to imagine something that is less of a "need" than that, unless you run a small business making fancy chocolates. But I've gotten as far as shopping online and comparing reviews/prices and looking at refurb models... or thinking about asking for one as a gift... or storing it at my parents' house because they have so much more space... sigh.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
If I believed in such things, that table would go on my vision board. 

I've actually told people before that my dream house includes a large, comfortable, open game room.  In the corner there's a stocked wet bar and coffee station complete with bar stools and a counter to lean on.  I'd have two to three cushy sectional couches, maybe include a TV for console gaming or movies.  The walls would be floor to ceiling shelves for storing and displaying my collection of board games, tabletop books, and graphic novels.  Another corner would have a tall arrangement of ropes and branches for the parrot to climb over because heaven forbid we try to hang out in a room without him.

I'd be happy sleeping in a closet or driving a Gremlin the rest of my life if it meant I could have a room like this.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
Bah, inflatable chairs?  You guys have no imagination!!  ;)

How about this:

Or this:

If I played the lotto, I'd loved to win and be asked, "What's the first thing you're going to buy--a house, a car?"   "...Nope, motherfuckin' T-Rex, bitches--BOOM!" [Mic drop.]

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Pretty sure Sue is not for sale at any price ;)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »
Pretty sure Sue is not for sale at any price ;)
Not after the last incident.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »
A nice IFR capable high performance airplane.  If we're dreaming, give me a landing strip out back to go with it.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
That gaming table would have been awesome to have when my buddies and I played axis and allies world at war expansion . . .

Not sure if people actually need these, but I think some hardcore climbers could justify the expense:http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

I bought one a few years ago, they are beefy and a little heavy but great for carrying food for two people. I succumbed and bought one, I don't regret it all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:21:11 PM by human »

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:58 PM »
That and a fancy camper van. Don't really need one but looking is fun.

I'd like a 7.3L diesel 4x4 Sportsmobile, a Porsche Cayman GTS, and a 75" 4K OLED TV.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
...and a 75" 4K OLED TV.

I want pretty much anything that says "OLED," just on principle.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
Hey if it maintains it's value why not? I've known alot of antique and custom car guys whose hobby paid for itself b/c the cars never depreciated - and in some cases appreciated.

You've got to be self-reliant. Shop labor is expensive. And you've got to avoid the upgrade treadmill where every so often you have to ad another expensive shiny bit to remain interested in the larger object.

I'm thinking of the guy on one of the car forums I used to read that bought a new $3K-$4K set of wheels/tire combo every 9-10 months.

And the guys on YouTube my son showed me that spend $ on some component b/c it is .08% better and 200% more expensive than the original component. Of course I still think those guys are making YT videos that function as commercials for some brand. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
But trilobites are common - and ammonites too.  DD knows what to get for little souvenir presents for me - small fossils.
That is a particularly nice one, BTW.  (and then I looked at your link and yes, it is very nice).

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
I want a vitamix.  I'm such a sucker for good marketing.  Their blender sounds so piffy but it's $400 and I'd be making $6 pies with it =/

I also want BIFL socks like the darn tough vermont socks.  But I have a whole sock drawer full of past socks to wear out.  Can't see spending $40 for socks until I've actually run out of socks.

I have some Darn Tough socks, and they aren't really but it for life. They don't technically have holes, but all wool has worn off part of the ball of the food leaving a nylon web. Since they don't have a hole, they won't be replaced under the guarantee.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »
We use a blender a lot. We went through a $50 Oster in less than a year, a $100 Ninja in less than a year, and a $100 Kenmore is less than a year. That's $250 in 2.5 years. So, we pulled the trigger and got a $600 Vitamix. We've had it for four years and the bearing in the blender died. I called Vitamix, they paid to have it sent in, and they did a complete refurbish on their buck. No questions asked. So, its has been more than worth it.

We have Darn Toughs, as well. My wife just passed her 7th year wearing hers. Still going strong.

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
Fat tire touring bicycle. I could get by with my Long Haul Trucker, but I really want a Pugsley!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
We use a blender a lot. We went through a $50 Oster in less than a year, a $100 Ninja in less than a year, and a $100 Kenmore is less than a year. That's $250 in 2.5 years. So, we pulled the trigger and got a $600 Vitamix. We've had it for four years and the bearing in the blender died. I called Vitamix, they paid to have it sent in, and they did a complete refurbish on their buck. No questions asked. So, its has been more than worth it.

What are you blending? OHHHH - you ar ethat guy that makes the "Will It Blend" videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUJcD6Ws6s

Those videos don't inspire awe in my but a sense of awwwww.... ;)

I don't admire the objects but I don't like to see them wasted either from an environmental and financial POV.

ProfessionalPirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
I want one of these:

It's a Louis Ghost chair. I don't need one because I already have a chair. Several even. But none of them are transparent :-(

I hope I'll find one at a flea market eventually.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »
I want one of these:

It's a Louis Ghost chair. I don't need one because I already have a chair. Several even. But none of them are transparent :-(

You know they make knock-offs of these right?  You can get them for about $50 now.  I don't know if that will make you want to rush out and buy one or maybe you wont want one anymore at all because they are no longer exclusive.  I like them too!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »
I want one of these:

Does it enhance or negate lounging around nude in your home?  hmmm....

ProfessionalPirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
You know they make knock-offs of these right?  You can get them for about $50 now.  I don't know if that will make you want to rush out and buy one or maybe you wont want one anymore at all because they are no longer exclusive.  I like them too!

I wouldn't even pay 50,- for a chair I don't need...

@goldielocks, I do think this chair would lend itself well to 'artful posing', if one were into that sort of thing.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
Isn't the white plastic version of this chair the foundation of the America's Funniest Video TV series? j/k

(This is a cool chair though. Never seen one clear. Sure it is made of better stuff than the discount store white chair version)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
This!!   I have wanted to be able to freeze dry since I studied the technology in the early '90's.... and now they have made a home version.  For only $1000's of dollars...

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »
I want one of those endless swim pools that is slightly longer than your outstretched body. They generate a current that you swim against. I live in New England.

Just like this

endlesspools.com

only in my basement, next to the washing machine.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
This!!   I have wanted to be able to freeze dry since I studied the technology in the early '90's.... and now they have made a home version.  For only $1000's of dollars...

I just came to this thread to post this exact item.  Although maybe the blue one.  I've wanted one for years.  I don't want one $3000 worth.  I enter the discount giveaway every time they offer it.  I would possibly pay $1200...