Author Topic: Things my husband is not getting for xmas  (Read 18235 times)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
Re: Things my husband is not getting for xmas
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
http://designsbydarenda.com/mens4soapgiftset.aspx

I found a place to save $1 on the soap.

I teeter back and forth on purchasing both of the items listed.  Yes, I sit there at Costco, pull out my phone and calculate different things with the soap even though they provide price per bar.  However, my sister once purchased this black charcoal soap that I really truly loved.  Would I be able to purchase it myself? Nope, but I would love for my wife to purchase it for me.

I remember when I used to sell items.  If there was a $20 item for sale, I would jokingly tell the people that they can give me $20 or a $20 item that I would never use my own money to purchase.  No one bit, but I was kind of hoping they would.

Regarding socks... For years, I would only want to buy socks on sale at Target, Costco, or Walmart for whichever is cheapest.  However, I am not starting to enjoy the fun socks that are "happy socks"

I am currently wearing a pair of them right now that were a gift! 

(Would I pay that much for a pair of socks... probably not but I do love them and appreciate them fully)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
I don't just toss my old, cheap socks...  I take them when I travel, go camping, or waterfall hiking.  Then, I throw them away; no having to pack dirty socks!
They also work great as dust rags or to use to stain wood.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2016, 07:51:46 PM »
He shall get socks and soap (and other things on his list).  Pretty shocked by the responses here actually.  For those wondering, the socks are "happy socks."  The soap is Mistral Soap.

Responses are sort of all over the place. Out of curiosity, which ones shocked you?

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »
I buy Mr Pancakes happy socks. I think that is all he has now and we pick out the most outrageous patterns possible. They are cheap thrills in the scheme of things and also brighten up other people's days when they spot them being worn.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
Happy sock has, umm, a much different meaning in the military. Yikes.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2016, 07:59:51 PM »
I don't just toss my old, cheap socks...  I take them when I travel, go camping, or waterfall hiking.  Then, I throw them away; no having to pack dirty socks!

I use old undershirts for those jobs, much better IMO. Good for buffing wax off the car too.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
You can buy some genuinely lovely soap on Etsy.  It's also rather easy to make, but I don't know how the Etsy people make that two-toned swirl stuff. 

As for socks, my husband LOVES the Yax Trak socks I got him last Christmas.  They're normally $25, but they were buy-one-get-one-free at Dicks Sporting Goods, and I had a $10 off any purchase coupon ... brought them down to a realistic price.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an expensive coffee maker for my husband for Christmas; it's an item that should last a long time, and he'd use it.  I would look for the best possible price. 

One question though:  Are these items that he really wants, or things he listed because he thinks he ought to have listed some luxury items as Christmas requests?   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:48:57 PM by MrsPete »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
If something is within budget, the gift giver's opinion really shouldn't matter.  Again, ITS NOT A GIFT FOR YOURSELF!

+1

Set your budget for gifts and then choose things from his wishlist. It's better to spend $40 on something he wants than $40 on two things he doesn't want.

Also... life is too short to wear crappy socks. My sock of choice is 3 for $10. But if it were 1 for $10, I'd buy the socks. I've spent way too many hours in socks that didn't breathe, that itched, that were uncomfortable. I do think it's possible to get 10 times the enjoyment out of a costlier sock.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 01:21:01 AM »
Happy sock has, umm, a much different meaning in the military. Yikes.

Hehehehe...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 03:40:16 AM »
We don't even get each other typical gifts for any of the gift giving times. This year European cruise is or gift. 12 days balcony booze included. Travel hacked down to around 1k-1500 including flights. But soap and socks. Cmon now.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2016, 04:39:12 AM »
Wait...you guys match socks???

I'm an accountant, of course I do.

Ha, paging marty998...

Haha yup. It drives me insane to have to wear unmatched socks.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2016, 04:43:38 AM »
Wait...you guys match socks???

I'm an accountant, of course I do.

Ha, paging marty998...

Haha yup. It drives me insane to have to wear unmatched socks.

I wear unmatched socks all the time. I guess it's not hard to believe I was a lousy accountant.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
OP, maybe your husband is a simple creature like me. If so, he'll appreciate the simple things in life, like new underwear and socks. And some nice manly soap after a hard day of physical labor (yard work, farming, or gym/outdoor exercise). If he's not a spendypants, cut him some slack, especially at this time of the year.

I bought me a set of these for $20 yesterday, they were on sale. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTMAM04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could see myself getting these: http://www.mistralsoap.com/BYO4SBM-p-mens-bar-soap.html?Offset=
But my neighbors make really good soap, maybe I'll ask them to make me some, and I can pay them. #KeepingItLocal

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »

I bought me a set of these for $20 yesterday, they were on sale. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTMAM04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Darn, I wish I had known these were on sale I might have gotten them. I could use a set of decent dress socks that aren't boring.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »

I use old undershirts for those jobs, much better IMO. Good for buffing wax off the car too.

It takes longer to get an old undershirt in our house. When my husband discards them, I tie-dye them and wear them as night shirts (lucky him...), then when they get too ratty for that, I cut the arms off and use them for hair wraps (curly hair doesn't do well with towels), then they get sewn into dog beds.  THEN they make it into his shop box.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
It takes longer to get an old undershirt in our house. When my husband discards them, I tie-dye them and wear them as night shirts (lucky him...),

Fantastic. :)

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
If something is within budget, the gift giver's opinion really shouldn't matter.  Again, ITS NOT A GIFT FOR YOURSELF!

As someone consistently inflicted with gifts of housewares who would rather get ANYTHING else, this x1000. While I also love giving gifts that I think are neat or interesting or beautiful or fabulous, even better is giving someone something they think is neat or interesting or beautiful or fabulous.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »

As someone consistently inflicted with gifts of housewares who would rather get ANYTHING else, this x1000. While I also love giving gifts that I think are neat or interesting or beautiful or fabulous, even better is giving someone something they think is neat or interesting or beautiful or fabulous.

I can't help but think of the "Christmas Story" and the bunny suit here. One thing to get goofy looking sleep wear. Who cares if it is comfortable? Another when they buy you a shirt or pants from another planet and expect to see your wear it. ;)

Fortunately DW has good taste and everyone else lives in different cities.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »

I can't help but think of the "Christmas Story" and the bunny suit here. One thing to get goofy looking sleep wear. Who cares if it is comfortable? Another when they buy you a shirt or pants from another planet and expect to see your wear it. ;)

My ex-girlfriend, who is still a dear friend of mine, gave me a Batman onesie with a hood a couple years ago. The zipper down the front was double-ended.

I wear the Batman onesie now and then when my daughter needs to be driven somewhere in the evening, or when she misses curfew and I find it necessary to terrify her date.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2016, 12:30:10 AM »
I wear the Batman onesie now and then when my daughter needs to be driven somewhere in the evening, or when she misses curfew and I find it necessary to terrify her date.

This is wonderful.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »

Ha! My husband actually bought me footie pajamas last year for Christmas. I am perpetually cold with icicle toes and these pajamas are soft and fuzzy and very warm and comfortable. I love them! I almost never get clothing though. It's always serving platters and knife sets and one year everyone in my family gave me baking stuff - measuring cups and spoons and bowls and things. Do you know why they did this? Because that year I baked cookies for everyone in the family. Think about that for a minute. I baked things so I need baking things? What?? Baffling!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2016, 06:28:57 PM »
The sock conversation got me looking and here is an even more expensive set. 3 pairs woolen women's socks, $39, marked down from $59.

http://www.orvis.com/p/smartwool-socks-the-best-socks-ever/3A3X?item_code=3A3X1152&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-Women%27sClothing-_-3A3X-_-127748&kpid=3A3X-11-52&gclid=CIin0drZkNECFQ-ZfgodtlwOTw

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

Ha! My husband actually bought me footie pajamas last year for Christmas. I am perpetually cold with icicle toes and these pajamas are soft and fuzzy and very warm and comfortable. I love them! I almost never get clothing though. It's always serving platters and knife sets and one year everyone in my family gave me baking stuff - measuring cups and spoons and bowls and things. Do you know why they did this? Because that year I baked cookies for everyone in the family. Think about that for a minute. I baked things so I need baking things? What?? Baffling!

Is it really baffling? You expressed interested in a thing (baking cookies) and they wanted you to feel included and loved so they got you something related to your expressed interest. How is that baffling?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
Is it really baffling? You expressed interested in a thing (baking cookies) and they wanted you to feel included and loved so they got you something related to your expressed interest. How is that baffling?

The baking was previously successful, so the baking supplies are unnecessary? Unless they all thought their cookies needed improvement...

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
Yeah, I'd find that baffling.   I bake a lot myself.    My MIL once got me a very expensive baking stone from the Pampered Chef for Christmas, telling me "These make great cookies."   Thing is, my cookies are already pretty damned good, and I like my Baker's Secret baking sheets just fine, so I promptly sold it on eBay.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
Y'all have no manners. Giving gifts related to hobbies the giftee enjoys is a normal thing.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »
Sure, but they gave Slinky measuring cups, which she already had.   

illdothisifitkillsme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
I have a lot of cheap socks.  I don't wear them very often.  My favorite socks are a hand knit, wool blend sock.  They can cost up to $14/pair, just depends on where we can get the yarn, and what kind of new one my mom wants to try.  Eventually I'll have her show me how to knit them, but until then, I'll keep pitching in on yarn if she'll knit some for me.  I'm hoping I'll find an amazing deal on yarn one of these days, and just stock up.

I wouldn't normally pay $11/pair of "regular" socks, but if I really wanted them, I'd be happy if someone bought them for me as a present.
here,here.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Y'all have no manners. Giving gifts related to hobbies the giftee enjoys is a normal thing.

I believe the correct etiquette is to give people themed gifts that are actually unrelated to the hobby. For example a dog themed keyring or a calendar with numbers on for an engineer. Here the correct gift would have been cupcake scented bath products.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »

This is a ridiculous "problem."  She's not the first person to receive a duplicate - return/exchange the item, regift it, or donate it.   

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »

This is a ridiculous "problem."  She's not the first person to receive a duplicate - return/exchange the item, regift it, or donate it.

Since I'm too cheap to buy high quality metal measuring spoons and cups, I do appreciate it when I receive them as gifts: the sticker shock keeps me from buying otherwise. Plastic does eventually melt, wear out, or have the handles come off, and the cheap metal ones will actually rust. I know intellectually that I will spend less long-term if I buy the good stuff, but... sticker shock.

Gifts mean different things to different people. For me, part of the reason for a gift is to provide somebody with something nice that they like and want but aren't necessarily willing or able to make or buy for themselves. Of course "like and want" is a key phrase.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »

How awful of them not to go to her house, count how many measuring cups she had, and count each and every item she already had to determine the perfect gift. They just took a guess based on a hobby she apparently enjoyed and got her something based on that. The monsters.

Shalamar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
If someone's hobby is baking, it's not a "guess" that he/she has measuring cups - it's a certainty.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
If someone's hobby is baking, it's not a "guess" that he/she has measuring cups - it's a certainty.

Yup, I imagine you would be hard-pressed to find a fisherman without a lure or a bow hunter without camo.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »

I like baking, am pretty good, but this year (after 22 years of marriage), my MIL came over and helped me roll out the cookies I was making for a bake sale.  Little did I know that I have a very cheap / lightweight rolling pin, and that all my plastic measuring cups have all the writing worn off!   So yes, I bake a lot, and better basic equipment would be fabulous, and no, I don't spend $30 on stuff like that..

I did not even realize the difference a heavier rolling pin would mean until we discussed it.   (and realized in the discussion that some of my stuff was purchased when I first moved out 27 years ago and had no money so bought the cheapest dollar store versions I could find at the time)

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
Y'all are going to face punch me but I've spent more than $20 on a single bar of soap. One of those big Claus Porto Soaps. I regret nothing. I don't buy makeup or perfume or any other of the cosmetics women are supposed to buy. Just really expensive, fancy soap.

https://www.amazon.com/Claus-Porto-Madrigal-Water-Lily/dp/B002ZJMR5U/ref=pd_sim_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQ0HK6KSN51ZR5XVQTQD

It smells amazing and makes shower time a pleasure. Also, if you take good care of a bar of French or triple milled soap, it lasts for literally months even with daily use. The key is to make sure your soap never sits in water so use a soap dish with the spiky bits. I also use a mesh pouf thing. Scrub the bar on the wet pouf a few times then squish for abundant lather with little soap actually used.

Yes, this soap is (to me) literally 20 times better than drug store soap that costs $1.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2017, 03:30:54 AM »
Yes, this soap is (to me) literally 20 times better than drug store soap that costs $1.

And this is the reason no face punches are needed. You've thought about it and spent your money where it buys you the most happiness. Personal finance should be personal.

Unless you have debts that you are not servicing, in which case you are spending someone else's money on fancy soap in which case please make an appointment with my punching-fist.