Author Topic: Things my husband is not getting for xmas  (Read 18232 times)

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
Things my husband is not getting for xmas
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
We try to be frugal throughout the year but we tend to splurge a bit at Christmas.  We buy things for each other that we wouldn't normally buy throughout the year.  When we want things during the year and decide not to get them, we add them to our Christmas list to give each other ideas for some things to buy us.

This year, my husband's list includes a 4 pack of fancy bar soap for $44 and a 4 pack of striped socks in a fancy box for $45.  Nope and nope.  I might cave on the coffee maker but there really isn't anything the proposed new one can do that our current one can't.  It just looks prettier.  But, if that's what he wants for Christmas, so be it lol.  The other two things, nope.  Luckily, the rest of his list is a lot more reasonable.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Things my husband is not getting for xmas
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
I'm guessing you posted on here to tell someone. If you are looking for advice, mine would be to do what you feel is best but also that it's ok to splurge every once in a while. I don't spending a ton of money on restaurants but I was going to see an opera and planned to meet up with friends beforehand for dinner at a very nice restaurant and I planned on spending up to $60 for the meal (this is 2x weekly grocery bills for me)...though I didn't because one of my friends was feeling down and so I went to his place instead to cheer him up.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
I think it is ok to splurge on "special" occasions.  My husband and I try to get each other practical gifts we know the other person would like.

This year I am getting him a fancy kitchen appliance (semi-professional grade) because it is something he has been wanting for a very long time but costs about $400.  To make it easier on myself I am using my cash back money from AMEX to pay for it.  In fact I'm using all my cash back to buy all my christmas presents for family and friends.  This is the first year I've been able to earn enough (I don't spend a lot of money) to make this happen.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
I posted here because I couldn't believe a pack of soap exists that is $44 LOL.  I don't mind the Christmas splurging and maybe I'll reconsider noping on that item.  I'll wait and see after I buy his other presents what is left in the Christmas budget.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
A splurge for a nice dinner or an appliance that's far superior to a current one is in a different category than ridiculously expensive socks and soap. They're still socks and soap! Will the $11 bar of soap clean you 22 times better than the $0.50 one? Will your feet be 11 times more comfortable in $11 socks than $1 ones? Highly doubtful.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
A splurge for a nice dinner or an appliance that's far superior to a current one is in a different category than ridiculously expensive socks and soap. They're still socks and soap! Will the $11 bar of soap clean you 22 times better than the $0.50 one? Will your feet be 11 times more comfortable in $11 socks than $1 ones? Highly doubtful.

EXACTLY!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »

For socks, I imagine many people feel like Smart Wool and other brands are worth it. Not me, as I tend to seem myself as being cheap (not frugal)and so I'm happy to buy the cheapo stuff until it becomes too big a pain***.

***My company has a ton of socks that they imported that aren't selling so right now I'm getting my cheap socks for free.

For soap, I imagine that there is a huge quality difference. Perhaps the bar of soap the OP's husband wants is made from human fat like the one in Fight Club?

On a side note, has anyone here had good success is making their own liquid body wash? I would love to make mine as I feel like it can be done way cheaper but I haven't had the courage to do so.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
This still gives you good ideas, right?  Could you get another kind of fancy special soap or sock that is more reasonable, but still feels like a little luxury?

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
fancy soap is relative.

I buy fancy soap.  made locally with (sometimes) locally sourced ingredients.  This year I bought 14 bars + 1 sampler pack of pieces for handsoap.  BUT this  acts as my shampoo, body, and facial soap for the year.  And body soap for the rest of the family.  I buy no other hair or facial products for myself. 

So zoomed in, this line item is extravagant but zoomed out, not so bad.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »
On a side note, has anyone here had good success is making their own liquid body wash? I would love to make mine as I feel like it can be done way cheaper but I haven't had the courage to do so.

I've had success buying super cheap body wash in near industrial quantities and adding some fragrance to it. I looked at recipes but couldn't do it cheaper than this giant vat.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Will your feet be 11 times more comfortable in $11 socks than $1 ones? Highly doubtful.

Yes- they absolutely will.

Dollar socks suck.  You can take my Thorlos away from my cold dead body. (Though I also like Costco Kirkland Trail socks, but they are about $4 a piece.)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
Expensive soap, socks, or [insert random item that offends you] might be a frivolous waste in your view, but its not a gift for YOU.

DW likes many things that I think are silly.  Strangely, I also apparently buy 'dumb' things as well.  How peculiar!

If something is within budget, the gift giver's opinion really shouldn't matter.  Again, ITS NOT A GIFT FOR YOURSELF!

As an aside, wool socks are nice for winter outdoor sports activities.  I own a couple pairs myself.  They might not have cost $10 a pair but they weren't far off that.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 10:49:35 AM »
Will your feet be 11 times more comfortable in $11 socks than $1 ones? Highly doubtful.

Yes- they absolutely will.

Dollar socks suck.  You can take my Thorlos away from my cold dead body. (Though I also like Costco Kirkland Trail socks, but they are about $4 a piece.)

I agree. And $11 socks will last at least 11x longer than $1 socks. I don't think $11 is even all that much to spend on a good quality pair of socks.

This is the buy it once philosophy vs. the buy cheap and replace often philosophy.

I also see nothing wrong with a gift of fancy soap. He isn't asking to buy it forever going forward. He is asking for it as a gift, special treat, etc. it's something he would like and enjoy.

Personally I appreciate gifts of things I normally wouldnt justify for myself.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
I would probably split the difference by getting the socks (a worthwhile splurge for the spouse, in my opinion) and finding a less expensive but still nice set of soap.  I can't fathom an $11 bar of soap, but obviously good socks will last longer.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
I can understand the socks.  I'm really picky about socks and outside of work, formal occasions, or weather requirements, I'm most likely not wearing any.  If it was business casual to wear no socks or sandals I would.

Currently I own 1 pair of socks that I like (smartwool) and a few pairs that I tolerate and sometimes wear when I'm working out.

If the $44 4 pack of socks are quality and comfortable to wear, I'd buy them.

To that end what brand are they?  I'm always on the lookout for socks that I can tolerate.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »

To that end what brand are they?  I'm always on the lookout for socks that I can tolerate.

Same here, I doubt I'll spend $11 for a pair, but if anyone knows any pairs that run between $2-$4 that are really good quality I would love to know it. Someone hear mentioned Kirkland, how good are theirs?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »

Same here, I doubt I'll spend $11 for a pair, but if anyone knows any pairs that run between $2-$4 that are really good quality I would love to know it. Someone hear mentioned Kirkland, how good are theirs?

If you are male- I know my Dad likes their "trail socks" but I can't speak to them specifically.
If you are  female, these socks: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Womens-4-Pack-Cerise/dp/B015UJA3CA/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1480531302&sr=1-3&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=kirkland+trail+socks are the greatest.  They are warm, well padded, fit nicely around the arch, don't bunch on the calves, and hold up well to washing. They are 90% of what I wore last winter, and I'm wearing them daily this winter too.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
If it was business casual to wear no socks or sandals I would.

My boss routinely wears loafers without socks. At a Fortune 500 company in a very staid industry. I think what makes it work is that he's not externally-facing in any way and is otherwise dressed very professionally.

You might try to see if you can get away with it on Fridays to start and branch out from there?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
Can you source those special socks and soaps elsewhere for cheaper? I don't mind spending $ on quality but what makes any soap $44 better?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
Perhaps it's important to keep things in perspective here. Total spend would be less than $100 for some stuff he really wants. Who are we to judge the guy's soap wish list?

It's not like he's asking for a Porsche.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »
Just a thought on the soap, if it is Laszlo soap and you are a sephora member you should be getting a $15-$25 discount code in the next couple of days.

My DH loves that soap when I can manage to get free samples.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 11:54:38 PM »
I can understand the socks.  I'm really picky about socks...

IME, everyone gets to have a few things that they splurge on, if socks are your thing then great. If socks are not your thing then you are unlikely to get more utility from $11 socks. If socks were the OP's Husband's one and true love then they'd probably know about it.

If you splurge on everything, you are just being spendy.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 12:08:23 AM »
Personally I'd rather buy the ridiculous socks and soap than the coffee maker. Soap and, to a lesser extent, socks are consumables whereas the coffee maker is another "thing" to clutter up the house, particularly if you already have a perfectly adequate one. But I know this is an area where everyone's different :-)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »

IME, everyone gets to have a few things that they splurge on, if socks are your thing then great. If socks are not your thing then you are unlikely to get more utility from $11 socks. If socks were the OP's Husband's one and true love then they'd probably know about it.

I bet there is a PhD economist out there who wrote a thesis on that topic.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 01:25:29 AM »

I bet there is a PhD economist out there who wrote a thesis on that topic.

Agreed. I also differentiate between $11 socks that are made of higher cost materials and $11 socks that are $1 socks with a brand name sewn in. If you use price as the sole measure of quality you can overpay for a lot of cheap shit.

Perhaps I should have specified an additional $10 utility rather than any additional utility?

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 03:10:43 AM »
In the context that we're about to sink $50k+ into the renovation of our rented house, I don't see expensive soap as especially spendy.

Here's a lady I met who started making artisanal natural soaps with locally-sourced scent agents back in 1979.  They clean well, smell great, and support a small, family-owned business (Adirondack Fragrance Farm).  My wife enjoys the scent on me, so she continues to give them to me on special occasions.  FWIW:  http://adkfragrancefarm.com/index.php

This concludes my unpaid and unsolicited recommendation; apologies to the mods if I've overstepped a boundary here.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 06:39:06 AM »

Will the expensive dinner keep you full 20 times longer than the one you make at home?  Or 10 times longer than the one you get at subway?  Will it provide 10 times the nutrition?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
I have a lot of cheap socks.  I don't wear them very often.  My favorite socks are a hand knit, wool blend sock.  They can cost up to $14/pair, just depends on where we can get the yarn, and what kind of new one my mom wants to try.  Eventually I'll have her show me how to knit them, but until then, I'll keep pitching in on yarn if she'll knit some for me.  I'm hoping I'll find an amazing deal on yarn one of these days, and just stock up.

I wouldn't normally pay $11/pair of "regular" socks, but if I really wanted them, I'd be happy if someone bought them for me as a present. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
Was the box for the socks cedar? I love me a good cedar box.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
I wouldn't normally pay $11/pair of "regular" socks, but if I really wanted them, I'd be happy if someone bought them for me as a present.

Exactly.  A lot of the things on my Amazon list or list of stuff my mom makes me send her to buy for me for Christmas (roll eyes) are things that are not what I would buy myself, but if someone else feels the need to drop $50 on me, I might not be trying to get the absolute best bang for the buck out of the gift. 

FWIW, my mother in law is a big Kohl's shopper (gets 30% off and/or Kohls Cash all the time) and I'm asking her to refresh my entire underwear/undershirt/socks supply for Christmas.  $100 or so should buy me 2x 4pk of underwear, under shirts, and 4-6 pair each of black, brown, and white socks.  Way better than having to buy that crap for myself (can you think of a less fun way to spend ~$100?)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 12:53:41 PM »

Exactly.  A lot of the things on my Amazon list or list of stuff my mom makes me send her to buy for me for Christmas (roll eyes) are things that are not what I would buy myself, but if someone else feels the need to drop $50 on me, I might not be trying to get the absolute best bang for the buck out of the gift. 

FWIW, my mother in law is a big Kohl's shopper (gets 30% off and/or Kohls Cash all the time) and I'm asking her to refresh my entire underwear/undershirt/socks supply for Christmas.  $100 or so should buy me 2x 4pk of underwear, under shirts, and 4-6 pair each of black, brown, and white socks.  Way better than having to buy that crap for myself (can you think of a less fun way to spend ~$100?)

Underwear is not so bad, but I fantsize about tossing all of my socks and replacing them with about $50-$100 worth from Costco.

Also, I want to try a pair of wool dress socks. I was sold on wool for camping/hiking/canoeing. I think it might be the next thing I start wearing normally.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »

Underwear is not so bad, but I fantsize about tossing all of my socks and replacing them with about $50-$100 worth from Costco.

Also, I want to try a pair of wool dress socks. I was sold on wool for camping/hiking/canoeing. I think it might be the next thing I start wearing normally.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Nearly all of the socks I own are crap, I'm seriously considering just tossing them all after buying a bunch of white socks at Costco and a few good dress socks.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Nearly all of the socks I own are crap, I'm seriously considering just tossing them all after buying a bunch of white socks at Costco and a few good dress socks.

And all of my socks are just slightly different from one to the next; it would be awesome if I got all at once so every white sock, every brown sock, and every black sock was an exact match to every other sock of the same color. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »
And all of my socks are just slightly different from one to the next; it would be awesome if I got all at once so every white sock, every brown sock, and every black sock was an exact match to every other sock of the same color.

If you do this then buy more than you think you need. I bought the exact same brand a year later and they'd changed enough that they don't work as pairs with the old ones.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
Darn tough brand socks are working out pretty well for me recently, the smart wool is also great but I've had problems with smart wool's cooler weather socks.  $15 a pair for great and comfortable socks.  I'm starting to wear through some of my smart wool socks, worn 20+ times a year for around 6-8 years.  I bought some ultra cheap socks for like $0.50 a pair, and a few didn't even make it past their first wash.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 02:05:27 PM »

If you do this then buy more than you think you need. I bought the exact same brand a year later and they'd changed enough that they don't work as pairs with the old ones.

Probably get 4-6 pairs each of brown/black, and maybe 6 pairs of white.  I wear brown or black 4 days a week for work and do laundry every week, so that should cover me.

spookytaffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
Wait...you guys match socks???

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

I'm an accountant, of course I do.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 02:31:57 PM »

My thought with this is that I would buy a ton, and 4-10 years later just do it again. I'd guess the average pair of socks I own are about 5 years old now; most are probably from 5 years ago when I started my career; some are older and a few slightly newer.

But I'll say that even if they don't change, you can't just put new ones in. I've tried. My older socks have the elastic more worn out, and they've shrunk slightly as well after many washings/dryings. Same exact sock, but if not worn at the same rate, they aren't the same. And it drives me insane.

Does anyone else have the problem of having massive calves for their foot size/general size? My socks seem to constantly slip.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
Darn tough brand socks are working out pretty well for me recently, the smart wool is also great but I've had problems with smart wool's cooler weather socks.  $15 a pair for great and comfortable socks.  I'm starting to wear through some of my smart wool socks, worn 20+ times a year for around 6-8 years.  I bought some ultra cheap socks for like $0.50 a pair, and a few didn't even make it past their first wash.

Darn Tough Socks are on my wish list this year.

Color me a decadent wastrel. ;-)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
But I'll say that even if they don't change, you can't just put new ones in. I've tried. My older socks have the elastic more worn out, and they've shrunk slightly as well after many washings/dryings. Same exact sock, but if not worn at the same rate, they aren't the same. And it drives me insane.

Totally this!! I was a little hesitant to bring it up because it really grates on me and my SO will look at these (differently worn/washed sibling) socks and declare them to be 'close enough' to identical. Close enough?!?! Mostly identical?!?! What is this madness. I accept that this isn't as big a deal for everyone.

I not only match them. Many of my pairs have left and right socks. I'm sure my toes can feel if they are wearing the wrong sock.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
Perhaps it's important to keep things in perspective here. Total spend would be less than $100 for some stuff he really wants. Who are we to judge the guy's soap wish list?

It's not like he's asking for a Porsche.

I agree. Just curious what makes $44 soap something special, not criticizing a choice to spend $44 or $444 on soap. Makes me no difference.

I usually wash with some mainstream brand from the big box retailer store that was on sale so I know nothing about fancy soap.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
I say buy him the socks and soap.  He probably thinks some of the things you spend money on are wasteful too.

I know I don't agree with my DH all of the time on what's worth a few extra coins. 

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »
He shall get socks and soap (and other things on his list).  Pretty shocked by the responses here actually.  For those wondering, the socks are "happy socks."  The soap is Mistral Soap.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
I read that as Mis-trial soap. Was wondering for 2-3 secs if he was a lawyer. Yep - that might explain the price tag... ;)

I'm looking for some of this soap. Must see if it is indeed something really nice.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
I googled this and found the website - the men's soap bars are 10.50 each, but the four-soap set is 44.  How does one acquire a taste for 10/bar soap?  I've never even heard of this and I'm sure my husband hasn't either.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
I don't just toss my old, cheap socks...  I take them when I travel, go camping, or waterfall hiking.  Then, I throw them away; no having to pack dirty socks!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »

I'm an accountant, of course I do.

Ha, paging marty998...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
He shall get socks and soap (and other things on his list).  Pretty shocked by the responses here actually.  For those wondering, the socks are "happy socks."  The soap is Mistral Soap.

Happy Socks are kinda fun. I gave a friend a pair as a gift (he'd been looking for pink socks for months). Expensive for socks, cheap for a gift someone wants and will appreciate.