Author Topic: The watch that everyone wants .... except me that is.  (Read 10367 times)

The Accidental Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The watch that everyone wants .... except me that is.
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-omega-globemaster-watch-unboxing-2015-5#ooid=5iaDNwdDrYYMm2yipFb14ndbRkPnemqO

happened across this ad that was billed as 'the watch that everyone wants.'  Errrr nope, not me. I can honestly say i if i was given one i wouldn't even try it on.

The ad is hilarious, from the glove wearing handler 'this watch is toooooo special to be touched by mere mortals hands'. To the claim of '320 parts'. Is that good? Bad? Meaningless?

I think its a watch thats probably bought by dicks, to impress wannabe dicks. I'd keep the box though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:17:23 AM by The Accidental Mustachian »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: The watch that everyone wants .... except me that is.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
I don't own a watch, and aside from the aesthetic look, I don't get the purpose. I recall buying a watch that was quite a splurge for me ($120 about 8 years ago), and barely wore it. Even when I did, I kept looking at my cellphone instead when trying to tell the time. I'm told that it helps in sales, but I wouldn't know, and as I am doing fairly well right now, I don't intend on finding out.

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
A (functioning) watch that only had one part would be a lot more impressive.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
The only thing worse would be an Apple Watch.  I actually thought that this is what this post would be about, given the title -- talk about a pure symbol of dipshittedness.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
It is for Wall Street, the place which is disconnected from reality. Not for us plebeians. Didn't see anything amazing about that watch. If there's more than 1 of anything, it is NOT limited.

kcy83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »
You can get a great watch at Target for about $10. Then you just need to replace the battery for another $5-$8 every few years. I beat the crap out of mine and it still looks almost new. I can't believe how many people where I work already have Apple Watches.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
There are clocks all around me. Let my wrist be free!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
I got a casio with solar cells.   It's supposed to keep the battery charged at all times.   It even worked in the winter - when it's kinda dark up here.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
I bought a really nice designer watch at Burlington Coat Factory for $40 about a decade ago.  I've had to replace the battery, but other than that it's still going.  Other people have more expensive watches, but I have more money than them, so they can brag all they want.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:12:47 AM »
I got a casio with solar cells.   It's supposed to keep the battery charged at all times.   It even worked in the winter - when it's kinda dark up here.

I've had a Waveceptor since 2007ish.  Haven't had to change the better yet.  I still like to have a watch to quickly glance at the time, but I've noticed that most people younger than me don't use use them.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
I can't decide which is worse: a flashy ostentatious watch, or one like this that's so simple that you have to be "in the know" to distinguish it from a $100 watch. On the one hand, the former shows insecurity and lack of taste (in addition to poor spending habits). OTOH, the latter makes the sheer frivolity of this sort purchase all the more plain (no pun).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:44:44 AM »
I stopped wearing a watch in 2000.  I don't plan to start again.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
I stopped wearing a watch in 2000.  I don't plan to start again.
I had a couple of Fossils when I started my current office job about five years ago. At some point I started wearing them less and less, and at this point, I barely know where they are. One is somewhere in my car because a pin slipped out and the face smashed on the sidewalk, so I need to send it back for its third, or fourth, or whatever, free warranty service. The other, who knows... gone for all I care.
My phone tells me what time it is. I have a hard enough time taking care of shit without adding gratuitous, fragile decorations to the working parts of my body.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 07:50:42 AM »
For me, watches became obsolete the moment I got my first cell phone and now occupy the space of "useless jewelry".

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »
A friend commented once , "Watches are like books, they can serve a purpose if you use them, but now people seem to have just to look nice." By books he was talking about print ones, he's a huge fan of ebooks.

rencelas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Beautiful watch.

Ridiculous amount of money. Perhaps if I were filthy rich, which is obviously the target market for this.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
I'm not a watch enthusiast by any stretch (I wear a 9y/o $200 Citizen Ecodrive) but knowing some people who are, they tend to geek out over the craftsmanship that goes into automatic (mechanical) watches.  A good automatic watch is one of the few things you can still buy that's mostly handmade, extremely high quality, and will last basically forever.  Given that most of the things we buy these days are just Chinese shit, I can understand the idea of spending a fair amount of money for something extremely well built that you can hand down to your son and grandson some day.  Now, sometimes they take this to silly lengths with the $XX,XXX and $XXX,XXX watches, but I get the point, even if I don't have the desire myself. 

Really the worst type of watches are those that are in the low $1000s range that are not automatic, not handmade, and just gaudy versions of a $40 Fossil and "valuable" solely because they're expensive.  A real high-quality mechanical watch will also not depreciate too much, meaning they aren't really a bad "investment" per se.  It's like buying a vintage Porsche 911; sure it's expensive, but if you pay $50k for one, drive it a few thousand miles a year for 5 years, and then sell it for $60k, is that really that dumb?

No, what's dumb is a $17k gold Apple Watch that will be obsolete and basically worthless inside 2 years.  THAT is dumb.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
For me, watches became obsolete the moment I got my first cell phone and now occupy the space of "useless jewelry".

pah no way! Hand in pocket, pull out phone, flip it the right way up, hit fiddly unlock button... read time. My watch I can read in <30 ms with both hands full. I'm optimizing my life here, I have not time for such inefficiencies! I've gone without a watch for a few days and it's painful, such a hassle.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
The only thing worse would be an Apple Watch.  I actually thought that this is what this post would be about, given the title -- talk about a pure symbol of dipshittedness.

Friend of mine has one. I quizzed him on it and didn't come away with one solid thing that it does that his phone doesn't do. Of course, I wanted one of those TV remote control watches when they came out... (but, I was 10?)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
It is for Wall Street, the place which is disconnected from reality. Not for us plebeians. Didn't see anything amazing about that watch. If there's more than 1 of anything, it is NOT limited.

Uh what? Limited doesn't mean 1. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »

pah no way! Hand in pocket, pull out phone, flip it the right way up, hit fiddly unlock button... read time. My watch I can read in <30 ms with both hands full. I'm optimizing my life here, I have not time for such inefficiencies! I've gone without a watch for a few days and it's painful, such a hassle.

You know, I'm with you. Plus my fancy flip phone just adds another step. Think I need to buy that replacement watch battery I've been putting off.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
I want everyone to want an Apple watch.

so my total market index can keep climbing.

EricL

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »
BWA HA HA HA HA!  You gotta be shitting me!  $44 grand for some POS that looks like a Timex from 30 years ago!?  For that kind of money I'd make a scale mail iWatch vest or pay a bikini model to follow me around and draw the time on her tummy with a Sharpie on demand. I'd still be a douche but at least I wouldn't be a boring one!

As for the hand made precision quality that can be handed down from father to son.  Ha!  Either your son will be smarter than you and too embarrassed to wear it or he'll be a junior douche and more interested in the latest flavored douchery to wear it.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Haven't worn a watch for years.....cannot imagine wanting this thing!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »

You know, I'm with you. Plus my fancy flip phone just adds another step. Think I need to buy that replacement watch battery I've been putting off.
just checked my phone time. Took about 1 second.  Course I didn't need to because it is right there on my tab and computer anyhow.    I haven't worn a watch since 1989.   It seems there are freaking clocks everywhere.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
A good automatic watch is one of the few things you can still buy that's mostly handmade, extremely high quality, and will last basically forever.
On my list of thing I can justify when I have a $1M https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmos_clock I think the are a few $1000

zsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »
I do love my running watch which was a gift from my husband. I can replace the battery when I need to for a few bucks in Mexico.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »
Omega is not worth it. Their movement will always play second fiddle to JLC or even Rolex, let alone PP or A. Lange & Söhne. Heck, I would even pick Stowa's Unitas movement. In my mind the only reason to pay a fortune for a watch is to have a beautifully finished and complicated movement (i.e., the heart of the watch).

I think 44k is enough to buy a flying tourbillon (you will be amazed when you see one in person) movement from a good movement maker. Paying through the roof for bling bling is just dumb.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:23:18 PM by chesebert »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »

just checked my phone time. Took about 1 second. 

And yet it takes 48 steps to wash the dishes?
;)

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
Omega is not worth it. Their movement will always play second fiddle to JLC or even Rolex, let alone PP or A. Lange & Söhne. Heck, I would even pick Stowa's Unitas movement. In my mind the only reason to pay a fortune for a watch is to have a beautifully finished and complicated movement (i.e., the heart of the watch).

I think 44k is enough to buy a flying tourbillon (you will be amazed when you see one in person) movement from a good movement maker. Paying through the roof for bling bling is just dumb.

I like Omega's more than Rolex's for the money, JLCs, PPs, and ALSs are on a whole different level (Aside from this special edition Omega). man, PPs and ALSs.....wow!!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »
Thought for sure this was gonna be about the Apple watch. Don't want either of them.

Video says only 352 were made. Then it shows the stamp on the watch: 000/352. Um, doesn't this mean 353 were made?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
Its cheap... only 1.5-2 years living expenses for a mustachian...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

Video says only 352 were made. Then it shows the stamp on the watch: 000/352. Um, doesn't this mean 353 were made?

No, but it does demonstrate that some number greater than 352 were made. :)

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »
BWA HA HA HA HA!  You gotta be shitting me!  $44 grand for some POS that looks like a Timex from 30 years ago!?  For that kind of money I'd make a scale mail iWatch vest or pay a bikini model to follow me around and draw the time on her tummy with a Sharpie on demand. I'd still be a douche but at least I wouldn't be a boring one!

As for the hand made precision quality that can be handed down from father to son.  Ha!  Either your son will be smarter than you and too embarrassed to wear it or he'll be a junior douche and more interested in the latest flavored douchery to wear it.

I saw the $44 and felt that ok... then I saw grand.  WTF?  I actually have a nice swiss watch(pre-MMM) but it sure didn't cost 1/88th of that, and IMO it looks a whole lot better than that thing.