Author Topic: The W Network  (Read 5889 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
The W Network
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »
I came across this by accident as we don't have TV pumped into the house.

http://www.wnetwork.com/shows

This network seems to be a collection of shows about anti-mustachian principles.

For example:

Chrisley knows best

Multi-millionaire real estate developer and entrepreneur Todd Chrisley, his wife Julie and their five children are a picture-perfect Southern clan who have everything money can buy.

or how about:

Love It or List It is a real estate and renovation show featuring interior designer Hilary Farr and real estate agent David Visentin. While Hilary attempts to win over the homeowners by renovating their current home, David tries to find them the home of their dreams. Once all work has been complete and all potential homes have been viewed, the families must decide whether to love their homes or list them.

and if reno's aren't your thing, you can go direct to the buying part with

Join Jonathan and Drew Scott for Buying and Selling with The Property Brothers, where they help homeowners take their next step up the real-estate ladder. Jon renovates the family’s home for a successful sale, while Drew hunts down the best options for their next property and oversees the selling and buying.

Jonathan and Drew appear to have 3 different shows along these lines.   Once you've got that new home, you need to call the

Million Dollar Decorators
Los Angeles's most exclusive and sought-after interior designers Martyn Lawrence Bullard, Kathryn Ireland, Jeffrey Alan Marks, and Mary McDonald are back. With big budgets, big personalities and big projects, the designers take on A-List celebrity clientele and encounter some very familiar faces that turn out to be their most difficult clients to date.

I guess the W in W-network is actually an upside down mustache.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: The W Network
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:29:21 PM »
Love It or List It and Property Brothers are HGTV shows and I unabashedly love them.  :P

Also, Property Brothers is a show where they convince people *not* to buy the over priced fully renovated turnkey house, and instead make them buy a fairly extreme fixer-upper and then put in the work to fix it up.  I don't think that's very anti-mustachian.

I'll give you the other two and Love it or List it...people on that show spend a ridiculous amount of money on houses!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
Ok, how about this one then:

My House Your Money reveals what really goes on behind closed doors as prospective home buyers turn to their extended family members for financial help in order to land their dream home.

I better add a disclaimer that I don't watch these shows.   The descriptions are something else though.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
Ok, how about this one then:

My House Your Money reveals what really goes on behind closed doors as prospective home buyers turn to their extended family members for financial help in order to land their dream home.

I better add a disclaimer that I don't watch these shows.   The descriptions are something else though.

That sounds horrible; I've never heard of it.  Begging your family for money on a TV show.....good lord :/

SaintM

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
I used to enjoy several shows on HGTV, including House Hunters and Income Property. Since we dropped pay TV, I only watch when I'm at the gym.

House Hunters usually ended with the buyers choosing between a low-, mid-, and high-price point house. Often one was near where they wanted to live and the other two were off in Timbuktu. My very unscientific count suggests the buyers usually went with the low-priced house.

Income Property isn't anti-mustachian. The host would usually design a basement apartment for the owner to rent out. The owner would choose between a high- and low-priced renovation; each would come with a corresponding estimated rent. Again, the owner usually went low. At the end of the show, the new tenant usually paid between 50-75% of the owner's mortgage bill. Damn I love rentals:)

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »

Income Property isn't anti-mustachian. The host would usually design a basement apartment for the owner to rent out. The owner would choose between a high- and low-priced renovation; each would come with a corresponding estimated rent. Again, the owner usually went low. At the end of the show, the new tenant usually paid between 50-75% of the owner's mortgage bill. Damn I love rentals:)

I have enjoyed Income Property on Netflix. FWIW, it seems the most mustachian of those home improvements shows for reasons mentioned above.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »
I caught a min of an HGTV show called free vacation home or something? Think the point was to buy a fixer upper-ish vacation home and rent it out enough per year so it's "free" for the owners. Sounded interesting, and somewhat mustachian. although I've heard bad things about vacation rental cash flow so I'd like to see their math in more detail.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
I thi
Also, Property Brothers is a show where they convince people *not* to buy the over priced fully renovated turnkey house, and instead make them buy a fairly extreme fixer-upper and then put in the work to fix it up.  I don't think that's very anti-mustachian.
I just started watching this on Netflix yesterday....not sure how long I'll be able to stand it. The couple gives their laundry list of "must-haves", the brothers show them a house that has everything but costs twice their limit, then show them fixer uppers which the couple turn their noses up at because the carpets are gross, there's a full wall mirror in the living room, and other things that are EASY fixes. I watched two episodes and on both they came in at $5k under the couples max price, which is not that impressive considering they were $700k and $520k
But since I've been on a housing reality show kick and I watched all of "Rehab Addict" and "Holmes Inspection" I'll give it a shot :)

I think the property brothers are in canada? (HGTV is canadian I believe) So all the houses are insanely expensive as they are in a housing bubble. $700k for a 3 bdrm 1,200 sqft? Sure, sounds reasonable..

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
A better show with the same idea as The Property Brothers is Fixer Upper--far less annoying clients. I don't think it's on Netflix yet as it's still pretty new. A husband and wife who own their own design/contracting company fix up older homes in Central Texas (mostly Waco) for clients looking for a new home. Houses are ridiculously inexpensive in Waco and the surrounding areas, so the first few shows had clients spending less than $100K for house and renovation combined.  The wife is the designer and the husband is a contractor and builder, and some of the items they use in the home are built by the company rather than bought on the market. Makes for some savings.  Not only that, but most of the homes are reasonable sizes (a few outliers, of course).

I went to school at Baylor in Waco and it makes me long to live in such an inexpensive city. Also, the husband and wife are pretty awesome and I want them to fix up my house.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »
HGTV shows are a guilty pleasure of ours... we've probably watched a good majority of the Property Brothers and all of the Fixer Upper eps that have aired. Fixer Upper is especially interesting if not somewhat formulaic, but they have MUCH more interesting properties- especially when the client goes for the true 'worst house on the best block' approach and buys a true shiat-hole for them to renovate. The budgets on Property Brothers are often quite insane, but nowhere near as insane as what the 'finished dream home' houses they look at first often cost.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Canadian financial blogger Garth Turner recently made fun of these guys: http://www.greaterfool.ca/2015/02/10/choke-it-or-chuck-it/

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »
A better show with the same idea as The Property Brothers is Fixer Upper--far less annoying clients. I don't think it's on Netflix yet as it's still pretty new. A husband and wife who own their own design/contracting company fix up older homes in Central Texas (mostly Waco) for clients looking for a new home. Houses are ridiculously inexpensive in Waco and the surrounding areas, so the first few shows had clients spending less than $100K for house and renovation combined.  The wife is the designer and the husband is a contractor and builder, and some of the items they use in the home are built by the company rather than bought on the market. Makes for some savings.  Not only that, but most of the homes are reasonable sizes (a few outliers, of course).

I went to school at Baylor in Waco and it makes me long to live in such an inexpensive city. Also, the husband and wife are pretty awesome and I want them to fix up my house.

+1 for Fixer Upper. Charming hosts + reasonably sane buyers = a show I can actually tolerate. :)

I do enjoy watching Love It or List It occasionally just to see how much crap people have bought and crammed into the homes that 'no longer work for them.'

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

+1 for Fixer Upper. Charming hosts + reasonably sane buyers = a show I can actually tolerate. :)

I do enjoy watching Love It or List It occasionally just to see how much crap people have bought and crammed into the homes that 'no longer work for them.'

Those people buy their kids SO MANY TOYS!  I can never wrap my head around it!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »
I miss Clean Sweep.  Not so much for the renos in the two rooms (I ofen preferred the original furniture), but for the sorting out of so much STUFF.  I couldn't believe what they made on their yard sales.

Those people buy their kids SO MANY TOYS!  I can never wrap my head around it!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
This is a great decluttering show -- the cleaned up homes seem so peaceful and restful! Quite Mustachian in that they simplify your possessions with you and help you see that you don't need a bunch of stuff to make you happy .. at least that was my take away!

http://www.hgtv.ca/consumed/