Author Topic: The things sales clerks will say  (Read 15872 times)

GettingThere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The things sales clerks will say
« on: September 02, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »

At an electronic store, this morning, while buying a 7.99$ replacement battery : Sir, we have a great offer for you, for 1.99$ you can have a 3 year extended warranty on your battery" .

Are you telling me people are adding 25% to the purchase price to cover the risk of losing their 7.99$ investment? Wow do they think we are imbeciles.

Ugh.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: The things sales clerks will say
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
The store wouldn't offer it if people didn't say yes to it.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
After you fill out the 18 pages of paperwork and wait 6-8 weeks on your warranty claim:

Your claim has been approved!  Based on the prorated life of your battery, you are entitled to a $1 refund!  (please wait an additional 6-8 weeks for delivery of check).

Thank you for your business!

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
I wouldn't even want to keep up with the warranty for 3 years for an $8 item.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
Wow, that's pretty bad.  I thought being offered a $59.99/2yr protection plan on my (unsubsidized) $129.99 smartphone was insane (and it is), but really?  On a $7.99 item?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »
I bet you could probably blame it on incentives -- either the clerk picks up commissions on each successful warranty sale, or they get negative employee evaluation if they fail to go "by the script."

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »
After you fill out the 18 pages of paperwork and wait 6-8 weeks on your warranty claim:

Your claim has been approved!  Based on the prorated life of your battery, you are entitled to a $1 refund!  (please wait an additional 6-8 weeks for delivery of check).

Thank you for your business!

And then all you have to do to get the warranty check is mail in (at your expense) the defective item.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
Something to consider - most of those $8 batteries can be had for much less if you do the hunting for them.

I have several gadgets around the house that use button cells. Locally they are $5-$8 each but on the internet I can buy them for $1 per if not less...

Sometimes you'll get what you paid for. I bought a brick of AA batteries at the "Made in China" tool store that didn't last any longer than the dollar store cut price batteries which is to say maybe half as long as the "good" name brand batteries. The button cells however from that same China tool store have been good.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
That sounds to me like a RadioShack!

Remember reading this in one of the articles... http://ihateworkinginretail.ooid.com/tag/i-hate-radioshack/

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
They always do stuff like this and it drives me crazy.

I was at Baskin-Robbins (I know, I know. It was a hot day once a year indulgence) and I got one scoop of ice cream for $2.69. The cashier informed me that if I added another scoop ($3.79) I would get a waffle cone ($.99) for free. I was like um... so I spend more money and eat more crap and somehow this is a deal?! I guarantee most people don't even think about the price and just say okay when they hear the word "free."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
I was at Baskin-Robbins (I know, I know. It was a hot day once a year indulgence) and I got one scoop of ice cream for $2.69. The cashier informed me

I remember getting at McDonalds (I know..), and I wanted to offer that lady a job on the spot.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:13 AM »
I hate upselling!!! I know it's probably company policy but it's frustrating. Our local service station is awful for it. When I went to pay for my petrol last week, I got 'would you like to buy 2 bottles of water for $6 and get 9c/l off your petrol?' 'No? Okay, how about 3 chocolates for $1?' I just want my petrol dammit!!

I bought new prescription glasses today (my health insurance covers a free pair
(Up to $200) a year - and the add ons are crazy! Surely you want anti glare coating? Heavy duty scratch protection?  Tuff stuff warranty? 50% discount on a second pair?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
I hate upselling!!!

I usually find that saying no with absolutely no emotion usually ends the subject. My favorite burrito place always tries to upsell, and when I say no like that they usually just ring me up. It's just them doing their job.

At my office, we live by upselling as we are wholesalers. Most of our customers don't know if we have ___ or ___ in stock, so if they call for an item that they want, they may find that we have many products that they need and they are likely to just buy it from us all at once as opposed to calling 5 different vendors.

penguinpace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
I work in electronics retail, and tbh, they probably think it's as stupid as you do. It's the kind of thing you start saying without thinking after a while. At most modern retail chains, you can bet that the system knows every single item a salesperson has rung up. While they may or may not be directly on commission, there are almost certainly incentives at play. So no matter how dumb it seems, they will always ask just in case, because some people do buy that stuff.

While I can't say I've personally seen anyone get the extended warranties on anything quite as cheap as an $8 battery, you'd be amazed what people do go for. I have sold $350 coverage on a sub-$500 computer before, and this is not unique among my coworkers.  People spending 30-40% of the purchase price isn't even particularly rare.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
I got offered an extended protection plan on a $30 kids pool from Toys R Us. The punch line, I think, is we've had the pool for 3-4 months and the (extremely cheap and poorly designed) plastic feet that keep the slide supported have already broken. My husband is going to replace them with wood. Savvy of them to offer a protection plan on an item that is designed to fail.

Sjalabais

• Bristles
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
Usually, I try to have passion for the poor people having to work in retail. But getting offered these plans here in Norway - were we have solid mandated two year warranties for every consumer good, and five year mandated warranties for "long lasting items" - is totally ridiculous. Insuring a battery, that probably costs 2$ if you buy it directly from China via AliExpress or similar, does really not make any sense.

Electronics shops are the worst in any case. They will say the most stupid things, in order to make you pay more. Can't forget how I tried to buy the cheapest Whirlpool washing machine on offer almost 7 years ago, a splendid deal. "Remember, this is a brushed DC motor which will need some maintenance. You should rather buy this one!" (points at machine double the price) - "Does it come with a brushless DC motor?" - "No."

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
I got offered an extended protection plan on a $30 kids pool from Toys R Us. The punch line, I think, is we've had the pool for 3-4 months and the (extremely cheap and poorly designed) plastic feet that keep the slide supported have already broken. My husband is going to replace them with wood. Savvy of them to offer a protection plan on an item that is designed to fail.

I think statistically most people don't remember about the extended warranty, or threw the purchase paperwork away, or are too lazy to file a claim for a "piddly $30".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:07:54 AM by jinga nation »

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
(Up to $200) a year - and the add ons are crazy! Surely you want anti glare coating? Heavy duty scratch protection?  Tuff stuff warranty? 50% discount on a second pair?

I routinely get the anti-glare and transitions lenses for my glasses.  I find the anti-glare makes a world of difference when driving at night on two-lane roads when oncoming traffic has their lights on, and the transitions turn my normal glasses into stylish sunglasses when it's bright (beats having those sunglass-attachments on, imo).  I've routinely gotten compliments from my coworkers on how nice my "sunglasses" looked in the morning. lol

I look at upselling as making customers aware that an additional product or service is available, which you might find convenient.  I do get annoyed when they upsell completely unrelated products, though.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »
I don't normally go for the extended warranty on stuff, but a little over 10 years ago i got a job doing projection work at a movie theatre and needed a good flashlight.  It was just around the time the first decent LED flashlights were becoming available and i bought a $45 flashlight from Radio-Shack and they offered me a warranty which included the batteries for $8.  I went for it, as I knew i was going to use the light everyday and it took 2 CR123 batteries which were almost $10 a pair to replace at the time.  I traded those suckers in every 6 weeks for over 2 years :)

Polixenes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »
The insurance companies (often owned by the retailers) selling extended warranties are making an 80 to 90% profit margin. And consider that by the time the tv/phone/camera/whatever fails, most folks will have forgotten they bought the warranty, or will have lost the sales slip anyway.

economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Most of my financial life is automated, but when I do occasionally go into a bank or call customer service I am bombarded with up-selling. Renters insurance, additional accounts, home loans, personal loans, new credit cards. There is a never ending list of fabulous financial products they want to sell me. You have to run a gauntlet to deposit a 25 dollar check.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 07:58:45 PM »

I routinely get the anti-glare and transitions lenses for my glasses.  I find the anti-glare makes a world of difference when driving at night on two-lane roads when oncoming traffic has their lights on, and the transitions turn my normal glasses into stylish sunglasses when it's bright (beats having those sunglass-attachments on, imo).  I've routinely gotten compliments from my coworkers on how nice my "sunglasses" looked in the morning. lol

I look at upselling as making customers aware that an additional product or service is available, which you might find convenient.  I do get annoyed when they upsell completely unrelated products, though.
Ditto! I only have one pair of eyes and they aren't that great to begin with. I get around this by buying my glasses at Costco. At least I know I'm paying a lower mark up.

Otherwise, upselling pisses me off. NO, I don't have a home warranty on any of my homes, rental or otherwise. Sure, I just spent $2100 fixing the A/C in the desert in the dog days of summer, but I have a contingency fund for this kind of thing and I can do the math. Bah!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »

I love Shane! these are great, I hope the rest are still out there

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »

Check out Zenni.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
When I was in retail management (clothing - not electronics) we were instructed not to upsell because it can be a turn off to our potential (aka broke) customers.

Instead we offered to hold their clothes in the fitting rooms, or up at the counter while they browsed. It is easier to buy a lot of clothes when your shopping bags aren't in front of you.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
When I was in retail management (clothing - not electronics) we were instructed not to upsell because it can be a turn off to our potential (aka broke) customers.

Instead we offered to hold their clothes in the fitting rooms, or up at the counter while they browsed. It is easier to buy a lot of clothes when your shopping bags aren't in front of you.

Is that the reason some stores want to hold your clothes for you? I thought it was because they didn't want to deal with shopping carts.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
I've been on the other side of this upselling when I worked in a diner. Trust me, the clerks are generally just as annoyed at having to upsell as you are at getting it.

We had a promotion, which involved getting customers' email addresses and other contact info. There was a card we had to offer out to every. single. table. The more cards you give out, the more points you get. The server with the most points gets.... I have no idea, but I know whatever it was wasn't worth it (it might have been merely the satisfaction of knowing that you were the best). Most of us didn't really care and only asked the occasional customer.

These are promotions the marketing departments think up for the minimum wage schlubs so they do their work for them.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »

Is that the reason some stores want to hold your clothes for you? I thought it was because they didn't want to deal with shopping carts.

It was never covered as a shrink prevention method where I worked (but other stores I worked at eons ago used it for this), but that may be a fortunate albiet unintended side effect.
Usually this is how it goes, if they offer to take your bags as soon as you walk in the door then they may see you as a shoplifting potential.  If they offer to take your bags as your hands get full of items you want to try on/buy then they want to fill your hands with more merchandise. Corporate stores must be very careful how they go about enforcing shrink protection because certain methods can easily come across as ageist or racist.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »
The day Costco got rid of the Executive upsell at checkout was a good day. 

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »
I love the random calls I get from Time Warner Cable offering a bundle that will "save me money."  I just get their basic internet (still at the new customer promo pricing from 3 years ago) and every once in a while they'll call trying to get me to sign up for a TV package.  Usually I entertain their call and answer their questions.  I tell them I watch less than an hour of TV each week and most of my TV watching is via streaming.  Without fail, they always have the "perfect package" for me.  Usually to the tune of $100+ per month with "free" movie channels for a year!  I always ask how tripling the cost of my current basic internet plan is saving me money and they always give me some made up price that buying those services separately would cost $200+.  I just don't get how so many people see spending extra money on a deal as saving.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
The day Costco got rid of the Executive upsell at checkout was a good day.
OMG, my Costco still has that guy! I hate it! I knew  from an insider that Costco was doing away with that position, so I told the guy I'd heard the rumor and maybe he might want to try for another position within the warehouse, so he wouldn't be out of a job. Who knows why they are the one warehouse that still has that position over a year later. The benefit of my gaffe is that now he finally remembers me (I'm there weekly and yes, I do have an Exec. Membership, duh.) and leaves me the hell alone.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
Okay, here's one more. I was a manager at N. I always taught my staff to keep showing things until the customer said NO. You'd be surprised what people will buy if you just assume that's why they're there. I also taught them it's not their job to balance the customer's checkbook. Finally, when completing a credit transaction, which was nearly all of them, I never said the total out loud, I just asked for their signature. The customer knows they're spending money, they don't necessarily want to know or care how much. Two caveats: I sold men's clothing. In my experience, women care more about the total than men, and I always made damn sure I rang everything up correctly. N has a system that allows the employee to double-check the transaction unobtrusively.

Oh, yes, I was a top seller. I wanted that big, fat discount that the pace setters received. Load that on top of a 50% clearance price and you are in business, baby. OTOH, I can't believe how much money I spent during the decade I worked there. Fortunately, they had a great 401k and profit sharing plan, so I walked away with a nice stash o' retirement cash.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

OTOH, I can't believe how much money I spent during the decade I worked there...

In other words, you were so good at upselling that you wound up upselling yourself.

Way to go.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »
I was having problems with Jet, spoke to a lovely woman who fixed the problem, refunded the item, gave me extra 5 bucks credit for that plus two free shipping codes to use whenever.

Very quickly I got an email to describe my experience with this employee. I said all good things.  They emailed back that because of her good work, I could choose for work to give her coffee, lunch or an item from Jet. 

I said stuff like this will get me to like Jet, because I think its kind of a mess right now and was not going to bother with it again.  But getting to reward an employee? I LOVED that. However, I asked does she really get lunch? they said her work would be praised and did not at all answer if she will lunch, so I guess it's another Jet "we think you're stupid so we're throwing you a bone, that is actually behind my back and you won't get it. Ever."

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 03:17:27 AM »
I don't normally go for the extended warranty on stuff, but a little over 10 years ago i got a job doing projection work at a movie theatre and needed a good flashlight.  It was just around the time the first decent LED flashlights were becoming available and i bought a $45 flashlight from Radio-Shack and they offered me a warranty which included the batteries for $8.  I went for it, as I knew i was going to use the light everyday and it took 2 CR123 batteries which were almost $10 a pair to replace at the time.  I traded those suckers in every 6 weeks for over 2 years :)
ROFL

Thats what we in the IT call a hack :D

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
I don't normally go for the extended warranty on stuff,  ars :)

I never buy the warranty either, but I wear timex big faced watches that light up in the dark so I can check pulses.  When one died, I went to the Timex store, bought the same watch for like $25 or less, and then agreed to the $10 warranty because of the free batteries for life.  Well, "life" was 6 months and then that store was long gone.  I can't believe I was that stupid

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
NO, I don't have a home warranty on any of my homes, rental or otherwise. Sure, I just spent $2100 fixing the A/C in the desert in the dog days of summer, but I have a contingency fund for this kind of thing and I can do the math. Bah!

I bought a house with a home warranty included.  Best move the seller made (no hassels about fridge, built-in microwave dying).

As a 1st time homeowner at the age of 47, I also got to check out the local repair companies for nearly free, without going through the agony of picking one.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »

OTOH, I can't believe how much money I spent during the decade I worked there...

In other words, you were so good at upselling that you wound up upselling yourself.

Way to go.
When I went to work there, I owned a tailored, professional wardrobe from my previous sales career. I didn't want to spend my whole paycheck on clothes, so I deliberately chose to work in an area where I wouldn't be tempted by new shipments of wearable, pretty, girly things every day. (Also, the women's areas expected you to wear their current season's clothes.) In those years, N in general and the men's departments specifically, a polished working wardrobe was required. So yes, over TEN years time, I needed to buy new clothes. With a 33% discount, and 50% off or better sale prices, I paid a fraction of what a regular customer would have. In other words, I only looked like I upsold myself.

In retrospect, what happened was that I got used to a high taste/quality level. Over the years, I acquired cashmere and merino wool blazers, fine leather shoes, Mikimoto pearls, diamond earrings, a Raymond Weil gold watch. I got them at amazing prices and I never went into CC debt. I also had no interest in shopping elsewhere after I'd been on my feet all day. Plus, inexpensive in-house alterations were helpful, as I am quite tall. I wore much of that wardrobe until I FIRE'd, and then a good portion of it was donated to Wardrobe for Opportunity. The rest, I still have, twenty-odd years later.

My point is that over time, one becomes enured to their environment. If you're used to dealing with quality, you want it for yourself. I also kept every.last.receipt, so it was easy to see where every single dollar went. It added up to a large number, but divided by ten, it probably wasn't terrible, it's just an easy chunk to look at and wonder about what else I could have done with the money. Since I didn't drive a fancy car or ever live far from work, or have cable TV, or a coffee habit, and contributed steadily to my 401k, overall, I did okay.

As to your "Way to go" comment, please picture me curtseying daintily, batting my eyelashes, blushing gently and saying "Why thank you, sir!". Because, afterall, I did manage to FIRE, which I assure you, is the way to go.

psinguine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 11:21:26 PM »
I love the random calls I get from Time Warner Cable offering a bundle that will "save me money."  I just get their basic internet (still at the new customer promo pricing from 3 years ago) and every once in a while they'll call trying to get me to sign up for a TV package.  Usually I entertain their call and answer their questions.  I tell them I watch less than an hour of TV each week and most of my TV watching is via streaming.  Without fail, they always have the "perfect package" for me.  Usually to the tune of $100+ per month with "free" movie channels for a year!  I always ask how tripling the cost of my current basic internet plan is saving me money and they always give me some made up price that buying those services separately would cost $200+.  I just don't get how so many people see spending extra money on a deal as saving.

I was actually incredibly surprised by the experience my wife and I had recently with our cell provider. We live rurally, have terrible service in the first place, and 99% of the services they offer we can't receive. They offer home phone (no need), Internet (can't get), home monitoring (seriously?), and a host of other services. Trying to deal with the customer service people was a nightmare. It is also worth noting that because this company depends on "bundling" to bring your perceived cost down the price we were paying for just two cell phones was obscene.

So we went down to an outlet, in person, with a copy of their competition's flyer, and said we were leaving unless they could match the price.

"Well if you add high speed Internet and home phone your cost will decrease!"
"I can't get your Internet service where I live."
"Where do you live?"
"[Location.]"
"I've never heard of it."
"Happens all the time. Anything else you can do for me?"
"Well... if you drop the add-ons it will bring the cost down."
"The add on that your competition offers as part of the base product?"
"Yeah."
"..."
"Well what if we bundle-"
"Look, forget the bundling. This is the product your competition is offering. This is the price. I personally know 50 other people who have made this change already. I will personally suggest to everyone I know that they switch too if you can't help me out here. If I cancel service for both my wife and I, unlock our phones, and make the jump today , even after paying the fees, we will still pay less for both of our phones than we do for one of them now. Along with better service, no add ons, and no bundling. Can. You. Match. This. Price."

And I think I broke him. They are so dependant on this whole bundle scam that they couldn't even give me an answer. After a little bit of back and forth (confirming that I was indeed unable to acquire the necessary bundle related programing) he suggested I go to the competitor. So I did. And yes, our bill is now roughly half.

The best fucking part of the whole experience? A week later I got a call from corporate (I have been a customer for a very very long time) asking why I had left the company. I told them straight, it was a purely financial decision. So they asked me, a rep from the corporate office itself, if I would be willing to return to their company...

... IF THEY WERE ABLE TO BRING BUNDLE CAPABLE SERVICES TO MY AREA.

You can't make this up. I told them maybe.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »
... IF THEY WERE ABLE TO BRING BUNDLE CAPABLE SERVICES TO MY AREA.

You can't make this up. I told them maybe.
A very true answer. Did you add "if you give me that bundle for the price I am now paying your competitor for 2 phones"?

Dalmuti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

That was the exact change I made with Time Warner.  They called me enough times with those kind of offers, that I ended up saying, "Listen, I get internet from you and I've generally been pretty pleased with it.  I don't want to add any of your other services and if I get another call asking me to, I'm switching my internet to someone else!"  Haven't gotten a call since, life is good.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
Today I got a very official-looking letter in the mail.  The kind bound on three sides by perforations and the black and white "snowy" tv effect on the back.  The cover was very imposing with a warning about jail time for whomever interfered with the delivery of this letter.  I opened it up and it was an ad for a new warranty on my truck.  That would be the truck I sold two years ago.  On the top of the page there is a disclaimer stating now that my warranty has expired I'm on the hook for any damages or maintenance. No shit.  If I act before Friday I can get a $100 discount, but the letter says nothing of how much this new warranty will cost.  I've received these notices in the past and the first time it scared me because it came on the heels of my actual warranty expiring.  Thankfully I didn't act on it.  I figured out it was cold-call bullshit when I received a similar notice a week later from a competitor.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 07:19:53 AM »
Anytime I get something with a Business Reply Mail envelope, I always shred whatever they sent me, stuff it in the Business Reply Mail envelope, and send it back to them on their dime.  I truly do not care to open a high interest credit card with no rewards and if I do, I'm certainly not going to be mailing my personal information in a see-through envelope.  Maybe I'll start stuffing them with cartoons & jokes instead so the person who has the job of opening up all of those envelopes can get some entertainment value.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
Anytime I get something with a Business Reply Mail envelope, I always shred whatever they sent me, stuff it in the Business Reply Mail envelope, and send it back to them on their dime.  I truly do not care to open a high interest credit card with no rewards and if I do, I'm certainly not going to be mailing my personal information in a see-through envelope.  Maybe I'll start stuffing them with cartoons & jokes instead so the person who has the job of opening up all of those envelopes can get some entertainment value.

I'll admit I'll send the generic promotional part and/or the T&Cs back in the business reply envelope.  I like the cartoon idea though :)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
Anytime I get something with a Business Reply Mail envelope, I always shred whatever they sent me, stuff it in the Business Reply Mail envelope, and send it back to them on their dime. 
For extra points swap the contents of envelopes when you send them back
Who knows, the cable company might be interested in a new high-interest credit card  and vv.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »
Good start, but there's an even better way to go about it. You must leave your name, address and bar code portion intact or they won't know who it came from. Shred up everything but that, then add other shredded stuff to make the postage prepaid envelope nice and fat. For good measure, write your "remove me" message (if you're being polite), or your "FU" message (if you're telling them what you really think) on the front and back of the envelope, as well as on the non-shredded bit that you've enclosed. Over time, it will significantly reduce the volume of garbage cluttering up your mailbox.

Random note: I managed a local candidate's political campaign last year. We are keeping the  campaign P.O. Box open for a while, even thought the campaign has ended. Every time I check it, the only mail is solicitation from ComCast. Over and over and over. My own P.O. Box is adjacent and I never get anything from them, probably because I did the old stuff the envelope trick way back when.

bagap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »

That was the exact change I made with Time Warner.  They called me enough times with those kind of offers, that I ended up saying, "Listen, I get internet from you and I've generally been pretty pleased with it.  I don't want to add any of your other services and if I get another call asking me to, I'm switching my internet to someone else!"  Haven't gotten a call since, life is good.

We've done this! A local company who wouldn't stop calling to upsell us at least monthly.  They never called back after that lol.

abbot31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »
I think it's a business trick

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 02:19:55 AM »

You beat the system! I would have bought another and used it to light whichever room in the house I was in!