Author Topic: The Ski Trip  (Read 4009 times)

pdxbator

• Stubble
The Ski Trip
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:56:53 AM »
A couple times a year I love to be totally antimustachian and go downhill skiing. This is not a cheap sport with lift ticket prices. This year some guys I know thought it would be fun to go to Whistler for a few days for a ski trip. I think, yeah, that would be fun. Lift tickets are expensive but I'll splurge on a winter trip.

I'm not involved in getting the accommodations. A couple days go by and I get an email from the organizer of the lodging and the break down is thus: 2 people will pay $1000 and 2 other people will pay $690 (smaller rooms). This is $3300 USD for lodging - for THREE nights! So on the cheap end I would be paying $230 a night for lodging plus 2 days of lift tickets. Before I have even eaten anything I will have spent close to $1000 for 2 days of skiing and 3 nights of a bed. OMG. I've since texted back that this is way over my budget. I'm still waiting on responses, but I guess he's reserved it through AirBnB and I don't know what's going to happen.

I've learned a lesson for sure, that when going on a group trip you have to be up front about budgets. Technically I could afford this trip, but am I getting $1000 worth of enjoyment for 2 days of skiing? I've also learned that going on a group trip might not be my thing.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: The Ski Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
Wow, you are right about that price being over the top. Do you think you will be the only one who objects? Did you reply to all?

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
Maybe it’s just the timing of the trip. Had you guys booked it a year in advance instead. Your buddies should still be considerate about what people have in mind for a budget but at the same point it is Whistler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M5

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
If you are getting your own room I actually don't think that sounds too far off. We went to Whistler last year skied 4 days and stayed 5 nights and I think our entire cost was around $2000 USD. Now if you are sharing a room and that is only your half, that's insane. I suppose it also depends on what time of the season you plan to go. We always pick off-peak dates to make sure our rates aren't outrageous.

I believe we stayed at the Executive Inn in the Whistler village. I think they had the cheapest rates of anywhere in the villages so you might check with them. Plus it's about 100 yards from the lift.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
Yikes. We go skiing all the time and typically opt for off-mountain lodging (within a 10 min drive) to keep costs down. On-mountain lodging is $$$$.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
On mountain lodging at premier resorts is ALWAYS expensive!. But your # doesnt sound out of whack; $1000 for 3 nights = $333/night, which is what I am paying for my on mountain room at another premier resort, except it is a private room. If your pricing is for a shared room, then I'd say its over-priced but hey, you already know DH skiing is an expensive sport, especially at world class locations.

I love to save $$ by not staying on-mountain and driving in from "town" but over the years, I've been caught in too many road avalanches, blizzard road closures, road closures from morons crashing in the snow/ice to learn that staying ON mountain is my best insurance to guarantee I WILL arrive at the lift.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
I love to save $$ by not staying on-mountain and driving in from "town" but over the years, I've been caught in too many road avalanches, blizzard road closures, road closures from morons crashing in the snow/ice to learn that staying ON mountain is my best insurance to guarantee I WILL arrive at the lift.

This is why we will always have a vehicle with four-wheel drive :) We've pulled several vehicles out of ditches over the years, lol.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
Dude, it's Whistler.    Bound to be expensive.

Lots of good stuff in the interior of BC without such a hefty price tag.   + the snow isn't nearly as heavy.

But even if you go, at least it's Whistler!   

Have you looked into backcountry touring instead of skiing at a resort?   This is on my bucket list.   The owner of our vacation cabin this summer is a backcountry ski guide.    He told me he could take me off the chair at kicking horse resort so I could get more time if I came out there in the winter.   sounds like there's alot to learn though.

biggrey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
That unfortunately is about the going freight at Whistler.  Very difficult to do it for much less than $800 per day for two, and that is sometimes without flights.  World class is big bucks. 

Ms.BecomingFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the Journey
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
Wow, doesn't it suck to be so surprised by the price tag?  It's always embarrassing to object to things like that in a group because people look at you as cheap if they think the price is reasonable.  It would have been nice if they gave price ranges before booking!  Good luck!

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »
Whistler....so expensive, even grocery shopping there will stop your heart.
Come on up to Sun Peaks....southern interior BC, so much cheaper
There's an airport and shuttles to the ski hill, so easy access.
Just a quick google for January had well rated hotels, with breakfast, $150 Canadian dollars....your US dollars would go far!

TrMama

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:17 PM »
Yup, lived in BC almost all my life and I may never get to Whistler. I just can't stomach the cost. We're going to the Okanagan for Spring Break again this year. Reasonable accommodations, the most gorgeous light snow, sunshine and no crowds. I was almost earie midweek ay Apex last year, felt like we were the only ones there. Spent exactly  0 minutes waiting in line.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
We are suckers for Whistler and go every year. Having the most vertical in north america commands a premium.

Last year we went for a week, this year just for 3 day long weekend. We pair it with our Colorado ski passes so at least the lift tickets are 'free.'  We are staying in a 2 bedroom condo ski-in/out for 3 nights, total cost is CAD 1500 or $1170 USD or $390/night. So yeah, pretty pricey. Usually better deals can be had if you stay longer (1 week VRBOs) and booking early (we booked end of summer, whoops).

But I love downhill skiing. I love sitting in the hot tub outside when the sun sets and looking at the mountains. These are things that make life worth living. To me the experience is worth the cost (and why I won't retire at typical MM rates).

There are cheaper places in the interior and further north as noted. I'd like to try them. But they get farther away, more vacation time or a flight, etc. We are within driving distance to Whistler, so it makes for a relatively easy trip. I've been skiing since I could walk, and having versatility and huge acres with varying terrain is a big thing for me.

Sometimes we do littler places just for the weekend where I ski with my daughter and it's a quiet cute weekend, but for a real ski-cation, I want the big resorts like Whistler, Breck, Big Sky, etc.

PS Big Sky is WAY cheaper and has great snow and there's nobody there.