Author Topic: Article about minimalism -- that may actually be about minimalism  (Read 4147 times)

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
This may be the first article I've read about getting debt free in which the family truly makes Mustachian cuts to get there - including selling her Olympic gear. And the comments section didn't go overboard with calling them liars or fruitloops (just a few!).

"I had financed my Olympic dream with credit cards," she says. "My mom stepped in and took out a second mortgage on her home to help me with that. I've always lived with debt. It just seemed normal."

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-rachel-jonat-paid-off-82000-of-debt-2012-5?op=1

James

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Article about minimalism -- that may actually be about minimalism
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
Excellent article, really captures the feeling of freedom they earned.  It's easy for people to judge things like how she sold her Olympic torch, but for many people I think it takes something like that, something that proves to themselves their conviction and single-mindedness, to solidify the change in lifestyle and maintain it.

Thanks for the link!

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »
It's always interesting to me how others try to keep items for people, like her family and friends getting upset about her selling her Olympic items. My hubby does it with many of "my" items. I think in her case, people were instinctively clinging to the rarity of the items. The truth is that the rarity of her talent and determination was the real trophy. She has the memories of her achievements. The stuff is for show and bragging. Good for her and her family to choose people and the future over the stuff!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
This seems to be in the wrong category.

Seems more like "around the web" than "shame and comedy"

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
This seems to be in the wrong category.

Seems more like "around the web" than "shame and comedy"

Agreed, I didn't know about the new category until after posting. No harm, no foul.

jd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
Good article--I also clicked the link to her blog (http://www.theminimalistmom.com/blog).  Some good stuff there too.